Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rents to rise to 2500 a month in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Malayalam wrote: »
    Ferfuxake, that is a disgrace.

But why don't people see that even if the ''jobs are in Dublin'' they would be better off looking for a job somewhere else, even if less well paid, because with a much cheaper rent somewhere else they will have more left over for actually living an actual life at the end of the week? What the heck has Dublin got that people flock in there to pay those kind of rents? It always seems kind of smelly, rushed and crowded to me. :D

I don't know. It's madness.

Thank you for this. I've lived in Dublin eight years and am getting so fed up with paying mad prices for absolute dives. I am strongly considering a move in the summer to a county closer to home. It's not worth it. I work hard and am left with nada to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

It does to those renting, through increased supply, which was my point.

Mine was that building skyscrapers won't happen while city land prices aren't expensive enough, when land is the limiting factor it will, such as in Singapore, Hong Kong, NYC & London city etc. It may make a difference to those renting, but to those building the houses, it doesn't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jucifer wrote: »
    Yes that is probably a sensible solution but as you said, when young many want to go out and experience freedom of living away from home and traveling. But there are repercussions of those choices such as being in mid thirties and hoping you can buy a home before house prices rise too much more (my own situation).

It's not really acceptable to say that younger people have to stay at home until they can save a deposit. Renting should be affordable.

I'm in a similar situation to you. I'd have no problem renting for ever though but there's no stability in it. I can't be certain I wouldn't be kicked out by a landlord who wants to let it to a family member.

Malayalam wrote: »
    Ferfuxake, that is a disgrace.

But why don't people see that even if the ''jobs are in Dublin'' they would be better off looking for a job somewhere else, even if less well paid, because with a much cheaper rent somewhere else they will have more left over for actually living an actual life at the end of the week? What the heck has Dublin got that people flock in there to pay those kind of rents? It always seems kind of smelly, rushed and crowded to me. :D

I don't know. It's madness.

Why would i want to move somewhere like that? I'd be lucky to get a job in the area I work in. It's not like the midlands has a large number if IT companies looking for people like me. Even if i did I'd know no-one. I'd be effectively starting my life all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Dublin is a complete basket case and always will be until there is enough political will to change it which doesn't look likely anytime soon.... Too many vested interests of the few to screw over the many... Just look at today... Ptsb allowed to sell off a loan book to more vulture funds... What's gonna happen then? Quick evictions followed by properties back on the market at extortionate rent

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Grayson wrote: »
    Why would i want to move somewhere like that? I'd be lucky to get a job in the area I work in. It's not like the midlands has a large number if IT companies looking for people like me. Even if i did I'd know no-one. I'd be effectively starting my life all over again.
    We'll you'd probably get some sort of job but it would probably be a lot worse than what you have now.

And all that extra money in your pocket - what are you going to do with it? It's not as if towns in the midlands are overflowing with things to do.

It is a balancing act and not as straight forward as people make out. Life in "rural" Ireland is cheaper but it's cheaper for a reason - it's less desirable and there is less to do. So you may have more money, but in comparison it's pretty boring.

And if you are not lucky enough to get a job at home you face the hell of commuting to Dublin every day.

On the other hand you pay through the arse to live in Dublin, but there is more to do than anywhere else in Ireland and you get the hustle and bustle of city life as well as the best jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

All this talk of rising rents is only going to fuel the market for buy to lets. One of the banks is already targeting buy to let investors. Supply will be ramped up until the market falls and then crashes. It is only a matter of waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

All this talk of rising rents is only going to fuel the market for buy to lets. One of the banks is already targeting buy to let investors. Supply will be ramped up until the market falls and then crashes. It is only a matter of waiting.

Waiting for what though? During the last crash it was extremely difficult to buy even if you were lucky enough to keep your job. Supply was as non-existent as mortgages. If you're talking about waiting to rent - people simply can't do that in most cases.

If you're talking about a property price crash absent an external factor causing a major recession I simply don't see it. Prices will simply stabalise and by the looks of it at a higher price than we're at currently.

awec wrote: »
    We'll you'd probably get some sort of job but it would probably be a lot worse than what you have now.

And all that extra money in your pocket - what are you going to do with it? It's not as if towns in the midlands are overflowing with things to do.

It is a balancing act and not as straight forward as people make out. Life in "rural" Ireland is cheaper but it's cheaper for a reason - it's less desirable and there is less to do. So you may have more money, but in comparison it's pretty boring.

And if you are not lucky enough to get a job at home you face the hell of commuting to Dublin every day.

On the other hand you pay through the arse to live in Dublin, but there is more to do than anywhere else in Ireland and you get the hustle and bustle of city life as well as the best jobs.

The nuts thing is that I'm from Mullingar although it's been 15 years since I was last there.
    If there was a decent commute I might consider moving there.

I just browsed daft for mullingar and was amazed at the price of some of the places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Unfortunately a lot of people have no choice but moving further away. If a family wants to but and struggles to get a mortgage for anything remotely close to Dublin, you have to move out. I understand that it's more appealing for people to own a 3bed in Edenderry than renting a small 2bed for crazy money in the city with a lot of uncertainty.

Vibrant city life would be nice... but many can't afford it and have to take boring rural or small town life to have stability in their and maybe their kids lives.

• Advertisement

Most people watch tv in the evenings and go for a few pints at the weekend. Now and again you might go to a gig or concert but it's no big deal to head to Dublin or another place for this when it happens. There may be more to do in theory in Dublin but most people don't do much more in Dublin than people living in a rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

CalRobert wrote: »
    Tbf there's a reason loads of people are bussed from SF to their job in silicon valley (or take caltrain). Not everyone there wants to live in desolate suburban hellscape and not walk anywhere. There's a lot of self sorting - people who hate walking tend to live in sv. People who hate suburbia in SF.

Desolate suburban hellscape?! Jesus... it's a pretty nice place to live in the Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale areas... Year-round sunshine and a swimming pool to cool off in! You're making it sound like Limerick! :-)

Plenty of opportunity to walk if you live in those downtown SV areas. Like anywhere in the US, you of course need a car to go a bit further afield, but you're exaggerating just a tad!
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Well they were from large cities. In general I agree with you, americans drive. When I am in our Palo Alto office I will walk the 10-15 mins from the hotel to the office... while they will drive from the same hotel.

Americans drive everywhere as the public transport outside of major city downtowns are pretty much non-existent and patchy schedule-wise at best. It's generally quite hot from March/April right through to November, so walking and sweating in the heat is never pleasant when an air conditioned car is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Desolate suburban hellscape?! Jesus... it's a pretty nice place to live in the Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale areas... Year-round sunshine and a swimming pool to cool off in! You're making it sound like Limerick! :-)

Plenty of opportunity to walk if you live in those downtown SV areas. Like anywhere in the US, you of course need a car to go a bit further afield, but you're exaggerating just a tad!

Americans drive everywhere as the public transport outside of major city downtowns are pretty much non-existent and patchy schedule-wise at best. It's generally quite hot from March/April right through to November, so walking and sweating in the heat is never pleasant when an air conditioned car is an option.

Perhaps I exaggerated but when I lived in san jose it was indeed a baking hot hellscape corprised mostly of seas of tarmac. Berkeley was far superior. As for mv, palo alto, etc there are nice places there.... if you make 300k+

And I probably was just weird but I didn't drive everywhere. Cycled mostly. I far preferred that (cheaper, lost 35kg, great fun) but nearly getting run over all the time was unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Waiting for what though? During the last crash it was extremely difficult to buy even if you were lucky enough to keep your job. Supply was as non-existent as mortgages. If you're talking about waiting to rent - people simply can't do that in most cases.

If you're talking about a property price crash absent an external factor causing a major recession I simply don't see it. Prices will simply stabalise and by the looks of it at a higher price than we're at currently.

Actually if supply rises and demand stays the same you won’t get the same high prices. The prices are high now because demand exceeds supply. Econ 101 suggests that prices don’t stabilise if supply catches up, but fall.

Even people living there agree that it’s dull. To the extent that companies are now relocating to San Francisco. If they can.

CalRobert wrote: »
    Perhaps I exaggerated but when I lived in san jose it was indeed a baking hot hellscape corprised mostly of seas of tarmac. Berkeley was far superior. As for mv, palo alto, etc there are nice places there.... if you make 300k+

And I probably was just weird but I didn't drive everywhere. Cycled mostly. I far preferred that (cheaper, lost 35kg, great fun) but nearly getting run over all the time was unpleasant.

Lots of people cycle there. They just don’t walk. Walking feels weird. The streets are so long, so reputitive it feels like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Most people watch tv in the evenings and go for a few pints at the weekend. Now and again you might go to a gig or concert but it's no big deal to head to Dublin or another place for this when it happens. There may be more to do in theory in Dublin but most people don't do much more in Dublin than people living in a rural area.

I live in one of these midlands towns. It’s a lovely place, we have a lovely home with lots of room and a very manageable mortgage. We both have good jobs and there is lots of different after school activities for the kids. It’s a nice place to live in my situation.

If I was 25-30 I would probably crack up however. The pub scene is very different to Dublin and there are far fewer adult activities unless you are in to GAA. I can completely understand why a younger person wouldn’t want to live here. The solution to the housing crisis is supply, not getting everyone to move out of dublin.

There is also a chronic shortage of rental stock where I am. Was talking to an EA lately and he has stopped adding people to his waiting list as there is just no hope that supply is going to meet demand any time soon. It’s not like you can roll in to town and have your pick of nice houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Am gutted at the way the rental/ property market is going crazy (again).
    Was planning on moving back to Ireland (most likely Dublin for work reasons) with the hubby and 2 kids, but have to put those plans on hold now :( Feel like we will never make the move at this rate...

Am gutted at the way the rental/ property market is going crazy (again).
    Was planning on moving back to Ireland (most likely Dublin for work reasons) with the hubby and 2 kids, but have to put those plans on hold now :( Feel like we will never make the move at this rate...

As bitter as it is you'll even struggle to find someone who's willing to rent to a family with kids. It's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Yeah someone back home did mention that to me alright...
    With the rent prices as they are, I actually don't know how anyone in middle class average jobs with kids, can afford to live in the capital now - especially if there's childcare involved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Around the world there are housing issues. Its not just in ireland the financial crisis of 10 years ago hit the house stock supply in alot of countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Everything is relative. I've been advertising a job with an annual wage of €65k+, less than 90 mins from Dublin where rents are much lower for 4 months and I can't get anyone to take it, most applicants say it is "too far" from where they "want to live". Go figure. If you want to live in a city with low supply and high rent, you gotta take what you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

davo10 wrote: »
    Everything is relative. I've been advertising a job with an annual wage of €65k+, less than 90 mins from Dublin where rents are much lower for 4 months and I can't get anyone to take it, most applicants say it is "too far" from where they "want to live". Go figure. If you want to live in a city with low supply and high rent, you gotta take what you can get.

What is it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I find this so depressing. We left Dublin nearly 20 years ago after many fun years. We’re down the country since. I’d have loved my daughter nowvin college in Waterford to have the Dublin”experience” for a few years but tbh I’d rather drown her then let her give some greedy bastard that kind of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe nobody wants to spend the guts of 12 hours a day working and travelling to/from work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maybe nobody wants to spend the guts of 12 hours a day working and travelling to/from work

That's pretty much it, assuming you want to live in Dublin.

Don't wanna be cheeky here but going by the salary it's probably a well-paying niche job?
    There are a lot of people looking for jobs out of towns that require a small skillset.
    Living in a rural area, working people with a commute are constantly looking for a good job locally but most simply can't find anything where they can use their skills.

Edit: Once people find jobs locally, they want to keep them because paying your bills and getting to spend a lot of time with family is of such high value for many. One of my neighbours is a trained carpenter/roofer. He's working in a meat packing factory for a few years now, because it's literally down the road in the next village, 5 minutes drive with no traffic at all. While it's not the most exciting job in the world and he wanted to change a few times to a job with a longer commute, he always decided to stay put. The pay is alright and coming home at 3.30 is worth a lot.

That's pretty much it, assuming you want to live in Dublin.

So nó skillset locally? Too often hear the better jobs are only in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »

A bargain and its furnished

Advertisement