Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Galaxians/Galaga is an exclusive to Walmart in the States, but it's the only other one I think I'd really like.
    Probably mod it and see if that King of Air cart could be made to work with it, given it's vertical screen.
    That said, the Space Invaders cab isn't selling for Gamestop, so if the price drops some more, that might be a good one for modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

They're still saucy enough prices on amazon.co.uk....
    I wonder will they get a price drop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=arcade1up

Really glad I pulled the trigger on the SFII cab for €200 as it seems to be pulled from the GameStop website rather than just showing out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,409 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nobody can do arcade machine toppers like the Japanese!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Doge wrote: »
    As per the ETA prime video I went an ordered 2 of these usb encoders for arcade joysticks and buttons. ....

I like the idea that it would work for putting a pc inside the cabinet if the rpi wasnt capable enough... I'm having a go though first at just plugging the wires directly onto the rpi gpio pins - might work with no additional hardware needed.

Then when looking up the pinouts - I saw this today... \o/ someone has got 3 player and 4 player Gauntlet II (and Tetris and a few other games) working on the Rampage cabinet...

Requires the roms to be put on a usb key and some system file modification which he hasn't released yet....

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭PaulPriest

Really glad I pulled the trigger on the SFII cab for €200 as it seems to be pulled from the GameStop website rather than just showing out of stock.

They had one in-store on the 19th in the Gamestop on Henry St. for 200EUR. Has that gone now then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

As per the ETA prime video I went an ordered 2 of these usb encoders for arcade joysticks and buttons. Available on via Amazon prime it you need it in a hurry:

Quimat Zero Delay Arcade USB Encoder PC to Joystick for Mame Jamma & Other PC Fighting Games https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XD1WF8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mZUkCbMYVCV7X

I used one im ny icade core and there's no delay from what I can tell. It was Dr. Bob who recommended it back then.

Definitely the easiest way of getting the controls up and running.
    Do you need to replace/upgrade the buttons and joysticks? I seen a few vids saying they're not great, I got the SF cab.

PaulPriest wrote: »
    They had one in-store on the 19th in the Gamestop on Henry St. for 200EUR. Has that gone now then?

Not sure since we cannot check the stock levels due to the listing being pulled. Best to phone them and see.
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Do you need to replace/upgrade the buttons and joysticks? I seen a few vids saying they're not great, I got the SF cab.

It’s up to the person really. The buttons feel okay, perhaps more travel than I would like before they click but I’m fussy. They’re much better than the buttons in the ICade cabs.

The joysticks are meant to be plasticky and more prone to breaking though so it would be a good idea to replace those.

The amp I bought is pretty ****ty though, needed to turn the volume down on the LCD driver board but it still sounds distorted and noisey at high levels and the volume pot sounds really scratchy when I turn it.

So i went to return the amp on Amazon earlier and the process automatically refunded me for the amp without having to send it back!
    I choose Performance or "Quality not Adequate" for the reason, didnt have to speak to an agent.

So anyway I decided to test it with my phone connected directly to the amp and what do you know,
    its perfect with no noise!
    It was the lcd driver board that was boosting the volume too much as the output is meant for headphones/ earphones.

Turning the volume down to 20 out of 100 via the menu on the LCD driver board makes it loud and clear / distortion free.
    Im using 8 ohm speakers so Im probably not getting it as loud as I could.
    Also if youre going to be using this with a PC via VGA/DVI you'll just have the an audio cable going direct from your soundcard to the amp so you won't have to go through the lcd driver board at all.

Pretty happy with the free amp now! :pac:

Also I don't know if anyone copped it from the pic i posted with kodi, but the screen looked like i was looking through a blurry plastic window the whole time.
    The bezel and lcd panel didnt come with one of those orange warning stickers you see in the unboxing videos so I thought mine came with no protective film, and was afraid to pick at the side of the bezel after I assembled the machine because i thought i might be picking off the paint.

Indeed there was a plastic film, it was just really well applied so you couldnt feel it, and the difference now is like night and day! The LCD looks really sharp now and very vibrant, they actually give a decent display with these things!

Edit: Just noticed now I have one dead pixel! :(

Just had a MAME scanline tutorial from youtube streaming to Kodi to see what it may look like when its finished:

469526.jpg

469047.jpg

In other news I have Attract Mode setup on my main PC, compiled a No Nag version of the latest MAME 0205, and have the scanlines setup.

I just need now to figure out how to filter games properly with Attract Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Such a nightmare I've had getting in touch with gamestop with my broken cab. They didn't answer their phones or emails. Eventually I was shopping today and went into a gamestop branch and they told me to return if for a refund or call 1up directly. I rang them and now they won't answer the phone so I've emailed them and round and round we go again. I just wana play it:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I saw one of these in Debenhams in the Ilac yesterday. No price on it though.

iamtony wrote: »
    Such a nightmare I've had getting in touch with gamestop with my broken cab. They didn't answer their phones or emails. Eventually I was shopping today and went into a gamestop branch and they told me to return if for a refund or call 1up directly. I rang them and now they won't answer the phone so I've emailed them and round and round we go again. I just wana play it:(

Its a shame you don't have the Street Fighter II cab as i could have given you the board that connects to the screen now that I won't be needing it.

I wonder if anyone has modified a Rampage cab who might be able to sell the board if you get nowhere with Arcade1Up and Gamestop?

Just got the extra holes drilled into the cab now for MAME, im just waiting on RAM to arrive from ebay next week and i can install the PC then.

469553.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I don't think Gamestop will want to get into the fixing cabs under warranty business. They're big and bulky and generally a pain in the hole for a bricks and mortar operation to deal with.
    They'd rather give you back your few bob and not have to deal with the noise.
    Or send you off to 1up and then you have to deal with the shipping , the chasing the repair etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm assuming the Street Fighter one is the best version to get so that it will be compatible with most MAME roms without too much fiddling required?

Dunno if I need this as a VR headset is just as good (with Neon Retro Arcade) and I don't have the room in my house to fit one of these in neatly... but hell I'll keep an eye out for a sale and might change my mind :)

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm assuming the Street Fighter one is the best version to get so that it will be compatible with most MAME roms without too much fiddling required?

Dunno if I need this as a VR headset is just as good (with Neon Retro Arcade) and I don't have the room in my house to fit one of these in neatly... but hell I'll keep an eye out for a sale and might change my mind :)

Yup the Street Fighter one is the one to go for as it has the most amount of buttons. Even at that its worth drilling holes for an extra button per player so you have a dedicated button for coins and another for the start button.
    Holding down both for 5 seconds or more to the exit the game would be handy also, not sure if that requires a bit of config though.
    I suppose some people could get away with mapping the coin and start button to the single player button, if they don't want to modify the cab.

Neon Retro Arcade has a lot of input lag and doesn't emulate consoles well, it doesn't support the Sega Mega Drive for instance.

EmuVR once it supports Arcade games or creating your own room will be much better I reckon.

Still nice to have a dedicated cabinet over VR too, are you using arcade controls at the moment?

Its a shame you don't have the Street Fighter II cab as i could have given you the board that connects to the screen now that I won't be needing it.

I wonder if anyone has modified a Rampage cab who might be able to sell the board if you get nowhere with Arcade1Up and Gamestop?

Just got the extra holes drilled into the cab now for MAME, im just waiting on RAM to arrive from ebay next week and i can install the PC then.

469553.jpg
    yeah that is a shame, I would like to mod myself anyway, thanks for the offer. I finally got in touch with 1up UKs agent(saber I think he said was the business) customer care, and they are sending a new screen next week. They said that should be the problem. I don't know if they mean screen with the board attached or just the screen.

horgan_p wrote: »
    I don't think Gamestop will want to get into the fixing cabs under warranty business. They're big and bulky and generally a pain in the hole for a bricks and mortar operation to deal with.
    They'd rather give you back your few bob and not have to deal with the noise.
    Or send you off to 1up and then you have to deal with the shipping , the chasing the repair etc.
    Yeah that's basically what's happened. I asked the guy were they getting them back into stock and he said he didn't know.
    The problem is they were selling them so cheap the money back is of no use really. You'd never get another one new for that price I wouldn't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Still nice to have a dedicated cabinet over VR too, are you using arcade controls at the moment?

Not just yet as I'm kind of limited on space, so the Logitech driving wheel setup I use with VR driving is pretty much taking up all available space in my gaming area.

I just use an Xbox controller, but a full arcade controller would be cool.

yeah that is a shame, I would like to mod myself anyway, thanks for the offer. I finally got in touch with 1up UKs agent(saber I think he said was the business) customer care, and they are sending a new screen next week. They said that should be the problem. I don't know if they mean screen with the board attached or just the screen.

Yeah the screen includes the board with the processor and everything so that's the easiest way to replace it for a customer without needing them to take things apart. You could almost sell the old screen to one of us who have dead pixels! Would be handy keeping as a spare too.

Yeah the screen includes the board with the processor and everything so that's the easiest way to replace it for a customer without needing them to take things apart. You could almost sell the old screen to one of us who have dead pixels! Would be handy keeping as a spare too.
    Oh that's cool, if the actual screen works. Might be a fun project to build a mame cabinet while keeping the rampage cabinet authentic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

Space invaders in the computers and communication museum in Galway now.
    https://imgur.com/0KMC4km

philbee wrote: »
    Space invaders in the computers and communication museum in Galway now.
    https://imgur.com/0KMC4km

Jaysus! It looks dwarfed by that Naomi cabinet. Those things must be huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

Jaysus! It looks dwarfed by that Naomi cabinet. Those things must be huge!

They are a bit big alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »

A must have, I've joined the mentioned FB group and I'm waiting to see if the replacement spinner will be shipped here.
    Also, this week the CES 2019 takes place and the second series of Arcade 1Up cabs will be announced.

Anyone have a dream cab?

I'd say they'll announce cocktail cabs myself.

In fairness they seem to be listening to their customers and improving on the design. Great after sales support.

Hopefully €200 will be the new rrp, no way that my Asteroids/Tempest cab is worth €399.
    Looking forward to the next series of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Getting around to assembling the 1up street fighter cab today. Do I need to order an acrylic cover for the contol panel first?

I heard some USA YT videos talking about that to avoid wear/tear fading. Can the protective cover be ordered in Ireland somewhere or is it a custom bespoke part from arcadeworld.co.uk etc?

Getting around to assembling the 1up street fighter cab today. Do I need to order an acrylic cover for the contol panel first?

I heard some USA YT videos talking about that to avoid wear/tear fading. Can the protective cover be ordered in Ireland somewhere or is it a custom bespoke part from arcadeworld.co.uk etc?

You send their support site in the UK a request for same and they'll send one your way.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hopefully €200 will be the new rrp, no way that my Asteroids/Tempest cab is worth €399.
    Looking forward to the next series of games.

€200 is a nice price point but I doubt it. They would have to be able to make them for less than 100 when ypu factor in shipping and vat to sell for €200 which I doubt they can.

Advertisement