Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Are they going to be hard to get do people think?

Impossible to say, I mean it's one thing to join a retro game group on FB, and be all proud of Sonic 2 running off of a raspberry pi onto a 55" flat panel set to 16:9 and quite another to invest in a arcade cab for €400,b even if it is scaled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Impossible to say, I mean it's one thing to join a retro game group on FB, and be all proud of Sonic 2 running off of a raspberry pi onto a 55" flat panel set to 16:9 and quite another to invest in a arcade cab for €400,b even if it is scaled down.

In the eyes of collectors/enthusiasts, there’s prob not much in it :D At the end of the day, it’s all emulation...albeit, one isn’t presented in a nice nostalgic envelope.

I don’t think it’ll be too hard to get these, perhaps I’m wrong but I would assume they’ll be made in quantities that’ll mean deman doesn’t outstrip supply. If Nintendo made them however....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I know from my own friends over the years a few of them have said they would love a cab but take up too much room, cost too much or are too much effort to fix when they break, so these might be a good option, if you can add games to them.. somehow.

Restricting them to a couple of games could be a deal breaker. something that big with only a few games on, in "normal" peoples houses might not be worth the space its taking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I’m definatley buying one.
    Love all the retro arcade stuff , have a pi with a lot of Roms for mame, Mega Drive and SNES,
    Wouldn’t be into having actual retro consoles but definatley would love a cab like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I might wait till the guys on here do all the heavy lifting and figure a way to bodge a MAME Pi onto it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

This review shows flimsy wood in the vertical panel on the front of the base. More of an issue if you buy one pre assembled and have it shipped, the flat pack should be fine.
    And the speaker is only mono and on the player 2 side.

He kinda screwed up when he said the LCD panel is better than a CRT though. :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    He kinda screwed up when he said the LCD panel is better than a CRT though. :pac:

How he came to that conclusion is laughable. More so considering it appears to be a vanilla output on the screen, with zero filtering or processing going on (at least none I could make out on this tablet). Unfortunately if so, the display visuals are going to look pig ugly :(

Only a matter of time before the guts of this are ripped out and beefed up. Depending on what’s needed for this, it may still prove worth buying. At 17” though, it’s a bit small

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The whole thing looks very cheap and cheerful. Except it isn’t really that cheap for a few thin bits of wood, low quality looking 17” lcd and I assume low power Pi or system on a chip brains.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

also if you where planning on taking out the insides and upgrading or whatever to hold more games, you are essentially just paying 400 for the shell, artwork and a few buttons.

also if you where planning on taking out the insides and upgrading or whatever to hold more games, you are essentially just paying 400 for the shell, artwork and a few buttons.

And still stuck with a 17 inch monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Might be as handy for me to add a spinner to my control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The lack of any kind of scanlines or even attempt to emulate how the games should actually look would be more of a dealbreaker to me than the monitor size.

Is that broken piece of wood around towards the bottom at the front, where your feet would be? If so you'd very easily put your foot through that accidentally. I know I would anyway :pac:

After all the researching I'd love to build a sit down Mortal Kombat II cabinet with red t molding.

There's no space in the attic at the moment though so it would involve a clear out.

I'd have to get custom cab designed by Rich or someone, with a larger marquee than the bartops and 100mm speaker holes facing down. I've even sourced a 19" 5:4 IPS monitor that can be had cheap and has 6:ms response time. Getting a bezel made and having Raden showing in the sideart would need the right shape cab and would be a bit costly but worth it.

Ah one can dream!

o1s1n wrote: »
    The lack of any kind of scanlines or even attempt to emulate how the games should actually look would be more of a dealbreaker to me than the monitor size.

Is that broken piece of wood around towards the bottom at the front, where your feet would be? If so you'd very easily put your foot through that accidentally. I know I would anyway :pac:

And then...

200w.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

€400 isn't that bad really considering.
    There's a lot of home made cabs on adverts that are double that price.
    Probably be extra for shipping though.

I was extremely close to buying pc components on eBay for a cab build today. But decided against it at the last minute as the cab would be against a shelving unit so would be a bit cramped and he side art wouldn't be seen. I'd love to build one just for the project but it would probably get little use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

After all the researching I'd love to build a sit down Mortal Kombat II cabinet with red t molding.

There's no space in the attic at the moment though so it would involve a clear out.

I'd have to get custom cab designed by Rich or someone, with a larger marquee than the bartops and 100mm speaker holes facing down. I've even sourced a 19" 5:4 IPS monitor that can be had cheap and has 6:ms response time. Getting a bezel made and having Raden showing in the sideart would need the right shape cab and would be a bit costly but worth it.

Ah one can dream!

Actually just finished one myself a couple of weeks ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Hyzepher wrote: »

That's cool! Could you fill us in on how you did that? I'd be very interested to know! :D

On the topic, I saw this video on YouTube this morning. Basically it confirms that the control panel is indeed mod-able so the sticks and buttons can be swapped out to suit one's preference. However, it doesn't seem possible to add more games directly onto the hardware because of its "bespoke" nature.

Still, this confirms that gutting it to a JAMMA cabinet seems pretty feasible. :P

Any chance you'd upload some pics?

Would love to see it. I think MKII has the nicest artwork Ive seen besides the control panel.

This video gave me a few laughs.

The control panel is mame of shame worthy though,far too big, joysticks far too apart, too many controls and RGB illuminated joysticks and buttons.

• Advertisement

^^ ugh :(

The only thing decent about that is the open source frontend it’s running :o

^^ ugh :(

The only thing decent about that is the open source frontend it’s running :o

At least he used a CRT! ;)

The RGB thing is a running joke with him btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

The RGB thing is a running joke with him btw.

Hm.

The one thing I never get with these self-builds is the fascination with the LED light-up buttons. Or using obscene amount of buttons.

True enough :D I knew the first crt wouldn’t work out though, svideo looks like cack when using it as a pc output.

True enough :D I knew the first crt wouldn’t work out though, svideo looks like cack when using it as a pc output.

Yeah thats true, I remember hooking an old dell laptop to our CRT via s-video and it was extremely blurry.

Yeah thats true, I remember hooking an old dell laptop to our CRT via s-video and it was extremely blurry.

Same here. Back when I added a dvd drive to my first ever pc, I figured sure I’ll just use the svideo out to watch the dvds on the big tv.....turned it off quick enough, looked awful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Any chance you'd upload some pics?

Would love to see it. I think MKII has the nicest artwork Ive seen besides the control panel.

Quality not great but shows enough. Pics of both the MK2 and Galaga I built from scratch.

Quality not great but shows enough. Pics of both the MK2 and Galaga I built from scratch.

Excellent work and gorgeous cabs!

Thanks for posting them.

That's how you do it alright, really nice work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Wow I didn't think these cabs would be so small. I was expecting something like the Space Invaders cab in Token where I have to duck to see the screen. Nope, much smaller. Suppose it isn't all bad as it's more likely to fit in a bedroom or something.

ymGBkvO.jpg

1KreVmP.jpg

Advertisement