Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Audi e-tron: Audi accepts deposits for electric SUV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ELM327 wrote: »
    7kW * 10 hours overnight is probably about 60-63kWh.

Anything above that and you're looking at having to increase supply if you use more than 60kWh in a day. Which of course probably no one will.

Seeing as I struggle to use 24kWh per day I don't have a huge concern here:)

Available for over a year , possibly 2 years, in the model X

Excellent, I wasn't aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, I use anywhere between 10-30kWh in a day, certainly no where near 60.

I don't see this being a huge issue but if someone does need 11/22kW 3ph at home there is a procedure to get it installed from the ESB, but it's not cheap.

Yes, I use anywhere between 10-30kWh in a day, certainly no where near 60.

I don't see this being a huge issue but if someone does need 11/22kW 3ph at home there is a procedure to get it installed from the ESB, but it's not cheap.

My brother has it installed. Big job, no idea of cost.

If using that much kWh each day I would expect users would look for closest Ionity to keep them ticking over. Standard home charging ain't going to cut the mustard

It's a shame because 11kW 3 phase is pretty standard in Europe outside of this little island and our nearest neighbour.
    Most germans have it for instance

• Advertisement

It's a shame because 11kW 3 phase is pretty standard in Europe outside of this little island and our nearest neighbour.
    Most germans have it for instance

Germany also has dark fibre running around the country and you can hook into it for peanuts

Go to Eir and ask for dark fibre and they will look at you like you have 10 heads:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭creedp

7kW * 10 hours overnight is probably about 60-63kWh.

Anything above that and you're looking at having to increase supply if you use more than 60kWh in a day. Which of course probably no one will.

Presumably anyone spending that kind of wedge on an EV isn't particularly concerned about charging outside the 'night rate' hours!

The only problem is though that if the public charging network remains in its current state us poor church mice running around with low range EV's will be increasingly left waiting for extended periods as bigger battery EV's snaffle at the free public trough

creedp wrote: »
    Presumably anyone spending that kind of wedge on an EV isn't particularly concerned about charging outside the 'night rate' hours!

The only problem is though that if the public charging network remains in its current state us poor church mice running around with low range EV's will be increasingly left waiting for extended periods as bigger battery EV's snaffle at the free public trough
    Loving the imagery.

I don't expect the network will remain free for much longer tbh.
    I had said end of Q2 but I'll revise that to EOY 2018. Fees will be announced soon.

An Audi driver would not lower themselves to use the "public(ugh)" system....

Ionity Gold Car system will only be used.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    An Audi driver would not lower themselves to use the "public(ugh)" system....

Ionity Gold Car system will only be used.....

There's many an Audi driver driving around in expensive machinery shod in the cheapest of cheap tyres so Id be surprised if a fair number of them would turn their nose up at anything that was free ..

• Advertisement

There's many an Audi driver driving around in expensive machinery shod in the cheapest of cheap tyres so Id be surprised if a fair number of them would turn their nose up at anything that was free ..

If you buy a car then you should have the money for up keep....if not car should be taken off you and given a Skoda as punishment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If you buy a car then you should have the money for up keep....if not car should be taken off you and given a Skoda as punishment ;)

But they might take off the Skoda badge to reveal the VW badge underneath :P

Ah here that's taking things a bit too farðŸ˜

Ah here that's taking things a bit too farðŸ˜

You do the crime then you do the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Audi E-Tron quattro BEV confirmed with over 400km WLTP range. Also reveals innovative brake energy recuperation system.

Take charge: Audi e-tron prototype – recuperation test

Highly efficient: up to 30 percent more range thanks to energy recuperation

World premiere in electric cars: the electrohydraulically integrated brake control system

Strong performance: up to 300 kW and from 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in less than six seconds

The Audi e-tron prototype combines enormous power and high efficiency. With a system output of up to 300 kW, the full-size SUV with a fully electric drive accelerates from zero to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in less than six seconds. In the WLTP test cycle, it covers more than 400 kilometers (248.5 mi) on one battery charge. One important factor for the long range is the most innovative recuperation concept among the competitors. The electric SUV proved this with an impressive performance at Pikes Peak.

The scenario:
    Each kilometer downhill brings around an additional kilometer in range. At 4,302 meters (14,115 ft), Pikes Peak looms high in the southern Rocky Mountains. Where Walter Röhrl won the world’s most famous hill climb in the Audi Sport quattro S1 back in 1987, it is the Audi e-tron prototype that is now causing a sensation with its recuperation system that is variable and thus the most efficient among all the competitors. On its 31 kilometer (19 mi) downhill drive, the electric SUV feeds so much energy back to the battery that it can cover approximately the same distance again. The difference in altitude of about 1,900 meters (6,233.6 ft) provides the necessary conditions for this. The Audi e-tron prototype recuperates energy with up to 300 Nm of torque (221.3 lb-ft) and 220 kW of electric power – more than 70 percent of its operating energy input. No series production model has achieved such a value up to now.

The recuperation concept:
    From freewheeling to a one-pedal feeling. The recuperation system contributes to up to 30 percent of the electric SUV’s range. It involves both the two electric motors and the electrohydraulically integrated brake control system. For the first time, three different recuperation modes are combined: manual coasting recuperation using the shift paddles, automatic coasting recuperation via the predictive efficiency assist, and brake recuperation with smooth transition between electric and hydraulic deceleration. Up to 0.3 g, the Audi e-tron prototype recuperates energy solely via the electric motors, without using the conventional brake – that covers over 90 percent of all decelerations. As a result, energy is fed back to the battery in practically all normal braking maneuvers.

The driver can select the degree of coasting recuperation in three stages using the steering wheel paddles. At the lowest stage, the vehicle coasts with no additional drag torque when the driver releases the accelerator pedal. At the highest stage, the electric SUV reduces the speed noticeably – the driver can slow down and accelerate using only the accelerator pedal. This creates the one-pedal feeling. There is no need to use the brake pedal in this deceleration scenario.

The wheel brakes are involved only when the driver decelerates by more than 0.3 g using the brake pedal. They respond extremely quickly, thanks to a new electrohydraulic actuation concept. Audi is the first manufacturer worldwide to use this concept in a series production vehicle with electric drive. A hydraulic piston in the compact brake module generates additional pressure and thus additional brake force for the recuperation torque. When automated emergency braking is performed, there are only 150 milliseconds between the initiation of the deceleration and the presence of maximum brake pressure between the pads and disks. Thanks to this rapid pressure buildup, the braking distance is shortened by up to 20 percent compared with a conventional brake system.
    Depending on the driving situation, the electrohydraulically integrated brake control system decides – electrically on each individual axle – whether the Audi e-tron prototype will decelerate using the electric motor, the wheel brake, or a combination of the two. The brake pedal is decoupled from the hydraulic system. The transition from the engine brake to the pure friction brake is smooth, and the driver does not notice it. This system allows the electric SUV to exploit its maximum recuperation potential in a targeted manner with support from the standard efficiency assist. The system uses radar sensors, camera images, navigation data and Car-to-X information to detect the traffic environment and the route. The driver is shown corresponding information in the Audi virtual cockpit as soon as it would be sensible to take the foot off the accelerator pedal. By interacting with the optional adaptive cruise assist, the efficiency assist can also decelerate and accelerate the electric SUV predictively.

The asynchronous motors: strong performance

What is fascinating about the SUV with electric drive is not just its efficiency but also its performance. Its two electric motors have an output of 265 kW and develop 561 Nm (413.8 lb-ft) of torque. They can deliver this peak performance for up to 60 seconds. This way, they allow the vehicle to accelerate from a standstill to the electronically limited top speed of 200 km/h (124.3 mph) several times consecutively without output losses. The maximum drive torque is present within fractions of a second and provides enormous torque. By shifting from drive range D to S and fully depressing the right-hand pedal, the driver can activate boost mode. It is available for eight seconds. Here, the drive produces 300 kW of system output and 664 Nm (489.7 lb-ft) of torque. The Audi e-tron prototype sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in less than six seconds.

Additional information about the Audi e-tron prototype is available at www.e-tron.audi.

A189302_x750.jpg?1533546525

Show whats VW/Audi can do if they put their mind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yep, Regen Braking, very cutting edge ;)
    Won’t make and difference in Ireland as we don’t have hills anywhere like the ones they did the testing in.

ted1 wrote: »
    Won’t make and difference in Ireland as we don’t have hills anywhere like the ones they did the testing in.

If you remove the Audi reference and stuck that into a Tesla thread....

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Too bad their minds are elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

ted1 wrote: »

Do Tesla/others have downhill recuperation also? 31km back into the battery for a 31km downhill journey is impressive.

Admittedly worthless in Ireland but still.

• Advertisement

RedorDead wrote: »
    Do Tesla/others have downhill recuperation also? 31km back into the battery for a 31km downhill journey is impressive.

Tesla and others have it too.
    It's called regenerative braking.
    Tesla have it to over -60kW. My Ioniq has it at 50kW. The leaf has it to 30KW (unsure about leaf 2).

Bjorn does a video of it on a mountain in Norway in his model X, it's quite recent.

We will just have to build bigger drumlins!!!

RedorDead wrote: »

If we don't have to worry about burning energy climbing the non-existent hills then we won't be overly interested in recuperating this lost energy on the way down. However, ability to recuperative energy as efficiently as possible will still be of interest to Irish EV drivers every time they hit the brakes or lift of the accelerator

Most of the time I am turning off regen unless I am in city. Driving on motorway it slows the car down too quick and it waste's more energy to speed back up....

Most of the time I am turning off regen unless I am in city. Driving on motorway it slows the car down too quick and it waste's more energy to speed back up....

Agree regenerative mode is of no value when driving on an open motorway. Even if you do have to slow down due to heavy traffic you have the ability to plan ahead sufficiently to allow car to coast to the lower speed rather than the more abrupt scrubbing off of speed associated with regenerative braking.

However, where you are scrubbing off speed quickly on say a motorway slip road, approaching a junction/roundabout or heavy traffic it is a useful way to recoup lost energy. I use it all the time in heavy traffic and also use it when I have to slow down at junctions.

Agree regenerative mode is of no value when driving on an open motorway. Even if you do have to slow down due to heavy traffic you have the ability to plan ahead sufficiently to allow car to coast to the lower speed rather than the more abrupt scrubbing off of speed associated with regenerative braking.

However, where you are scrubbing off speed quickly on say a motorway slip road, approaching a junction/roundabout or heavy traffic it is a useful way to recoup lost energy. I use it all the time in heavy traffic and also use it when I have to slow down at junctions.

The eGolf I find is great for this....

You just flick the gear stick back for B mode(high regen)
    Or flick to side 1 - 3 times for lower regen depending on the traffic situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

In Ioniq you can use the flappy pedals on the steering wheel to up or down the regen level between 0 and 3 :)

unkel wrote: »
    In Ioniq you can use the flappy pedals on the steering wheel to up or down the regen level between 0 and 3 :)

Nice option as well.....

I seen that on Kona video

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's a bit gimmicky but it is useful if you need to get extra range from the car. It is quicker than using your foot on the brake pedal as your hands are already on the steering wheel all of the time. No regen on as default on open roads plus adjust with the flappy pedals is best for range.

• Advertisement

It's actually a bit of a debated topic between Ioniq drivers.
    I'm very much of the variable regen option (ie drive with it at 0 or 1 and vary it with the flappy paddles)
    Others suggest to set it to 2 and leave it there

Advertisement