Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Audi e-tron: Audi accepts deposits for electric SUV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Compared to Teslas it wouldnt pull you out of bed

Even the I-Pace does 0-60 in 4.5 secs

0-60 in 6 secs is not impressive anymore

The poorest Tesla Model 3 is quicker than that

The game has moved on and the Germans are trolling

You done so well for so long Thierry....

Back onto trolling about German cars :P:P:P:P

Also the Tesla gets light as it speeds up due to bits falling off it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Also the Tesla gets light as it speeds up due to bits falling off it :P
    You're gone mad
    All that cadmium must have gone to your head!

ELM327 wrote: »
    You're gone mad
    All that cadmium must have gone to your head!

have to stop plugging in that car :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Wonder could I sue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

You done so well for so long Thierry....

Back onto trolling about German cars :P:P:P:P

I like the Germans

They are so disappointing

Not even trying

• Advertisement

I like the Germans

They are so disappointing

Not even trying

If the eGolf and Audi e-tron is them not trying.....

Tesla havent a f**king chance if they do try :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

If the eGolf and Audi e-tron is them not trying.....

Tesla havent a f**king chance if they do try :p

Agree

Completely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Jaguar also says the I Pace can do 470km on one charge which has been proved to be baloney :D I Pace is quoted for 0-100 at 4.8 seconds. It also looks like it has a weight advantage over E-Tron which is where the performance is probably lost.

Model 3 is a entry saloon - and completely incomparable. Model X a more comparable offering which does it in approx 5 seconds. So yes you would be right to say its a little slower but to call 0-100 in 6 seconds "slow as f*ck" is just plain trolling.

Audis 0-100 times are always notoriously undercalled so lets see what the official numbers look like versus the real world numbers.

New Update
    Audi e-tron production model unveil date
    On 17th September at 9pm (PDT) at the Audi Summit in San Francisco, the official production model of the Audi e-tron prototype will be unveiled. We will bring you all of the action live so don’t miss out. Make sure you save the date.

Audi e-tron extreme at Pikes Peak
    The Audi e-tron prototype combines enormous power with high efficiency. Delivering up to 300 kW of power, the all-electric SUV can sprint from 0 - 100 km/h in less than six seconds and can cover a range of more than 400 kilometres on a single battery charge.
    One important factor in achieving this long range is the highly innovative recuperation concept. The e-tron prototype proved this with an impressive performance at Pikes Peak.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoSIhVFk4XM&feature=youtu.be

Video is german talking about brakes....BORING.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Released this morning. What do folks think of it ?

https://insideevs.com/2019-audi-e-tron-debut-pricing/

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

https://www.audietron.ie/en

No prices yet. Beautiful car ....need to buy my lotto card

it seems to be cheaper than Tesla Model X from initial reports

I know which one I would buy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

https://www.audietron.ie/en

No prices yet. Beautiful car ....need to buy my lotto card

it seems to be cheaper than Tesla Model X from initial reports

I know which one I would buy....
    You can configure one already on the USA site.
    https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-e-tron/2019/reserve/reserve#/configurator

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »

The doller is dead to me

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Released this morning. What do folks think of it ?

https://insideevs.com/2019-audi-e-tron-debut-pricing/

It’s certainly an interesting proposition. Although I think it looked better in camoflague.

The electronic door mirrors will be interesting.

They are talking about €80,000 but when you factor in the Irish pricing and start looking at the Audi options list it will probably be closer to €100,000

The key is have Audi & Mercedes for that matter done enough to get the real world consumption right. If they have and they can develop the Ionity network fast enough it will be a game changer.

I just can’t wait until we see them start to move down line and make more affordable options like an A3

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I can't see any €80k-€100k car being a game changer. The Tesla Model S wasn't a game changer in this country. Even with the zero BIK, it still isn't.

€35k-€40k cars with 500km real life range are game changers. And they are with us already. A €40k-€45k premium long range car like a Tesla Model 3 or BMW EV 3-series will be game changers. They won't be with us for another few years though.

And the Ionity network itself will be a game changer in this country. With chargers like that you don't even need a long range EV anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

unkel wrote: »
    ........... With chargers like that you don't even need a long range EV anymore.

Well, maybe for you, but cant be hanging around waiting for a charge during work hours.

Charging has got to be after work and enough for the next day. A 500km range ( could charge that @ home ) would be grand tho ( well at least for me ) :D

I can't see any €80k-€100k car being a game changer. The Tesla Model S wasn't a game changer in this country. Even with the zero BIK, it still isn't.

€35k-€40k cars with 500km real life range are game changers. And they are with us already. A €40k-€45k premium long range car like a Tesla Model 3 or BMW EV 3-series will be game changers. They won't be with us for another few years though.

And the Ionity network itself will be a game changer in this country. With chargers like that you don't even need a long range EV anymore.

The premium manufacturers are copying Tesla by launching high cost models to pay for the cost of development, while also cashing in on the models being exclusive.

I’m just waiting for an A3 / Golf sized car with an 80kw to 90kw battery pack at the 30,000 Euro mark. That will be a game changer. We are nearly there with the likes of the Nero and Kona.

0lddog wrote: »
    Well, maybe for you, but cant be hanging around waiting for a charge during work hours.

If you need a charge during your commute, you've picked the wrong car. An Ioniq / Leaf40 can easily do a 200km commute all year round. A 64kWh Kona can do a commute close to 500km. How far the hell is your commute, further than 500km in Ireland? :eek:
    Brera wrote: »
    I’m just waiting for an A3 / Golf sized car with an 80kw to 90kw battery pack at the 30,000 Euro mark. That will be a game changer. We are nearly there with the likes of the Nero and Kona.

Any reason in particular you need 700-800km range in your budget EV? You say game changer. That means it will make a big difference for many people. Do you think there are many people who need a 700-800km range for their car?

The premium manufacturers are copying Tesla by launching high cost models to pay for the cost of development, while also cashing in on the models being exclusive.

Why do you need a 80-90kWh battery?

The battery in ID will not be 80-90kWh. Firstly because you don't need that big of battery and also because the cost of the battery would be too much, another point would be weight. In a small car like the Neo that size of battery would kill the car

https://ecomento.de/2018/09/17/volkswagen-stellt-modularen-elektroauto-baukasten-meb-vor/

The details of the ID range are announced. All cars will be based on this model.

The Neo will have a circa 60kWh battery and will be coming in 30-35k based on reports. Similar price to the eGolf, maybe a little cheaper as they will be mass producing.

This is the important bit from web link:

By the end of 2022, Volkswagen plans to produce 27 MEB vehicles worldwide for four Group brands. The core VW brand wants to sell about 150,000 electric cars in 2020, including 100,000 ID streamers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

From the article, the ID will have ranges between 330km and 500km, which implies similar battery options to the Kona.
    I'd expect them to have a 40kWH and 65kWh available.

• Advertisement

Which seem perfectly fine choices for most people going forward for the next few years. Sure if we ever get a 100kWh battery pack that weighs just 200kg and costs just $1000 we might stick it in even the cheapest of cars. But for the short to mid term those options are fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The beauty of technological progress :)

Battery costs are dropping between 15% and 20% per year, and energy density is increasing by between 5% and 8%.
    To give an idea, that means that a car like the Ioniq goes from a 28kWh battery costing $8000 to a 35kWh battery costing $5000 between 2016 and 2020. Keeping the same pack size.

VAG followed this model for the e-Golf, I'd say they'd do same for their future models.
    If the pattern holds, by 2025, a 2020 64kWh can by upgraded to an 85kWh whilst keeping the same battery size and saving them $4000

VW have bought or invested 85 million in solid-state battery technology. See below

https://www.hibridosyelectricos.com/articulo/sector/volkswagen-invierte-100-millones-fabricante-baterias-quantumscape/20180913161013021761.html

40-60kWh is more than enough for 90% or more electric car users. Most people now live in cities or major town so in reality the range on a 24kWh Leaf is all they will use on an average day but people seem to like the idea of 500km range in the car......

I dont expect many manufacturers going above 60kWh in a standard car until something new like solid state comes into the market.....

liamog wrote: »
    The beauty of technological progress :)

Battery costs are dropping between 15% and 20% per year, and energy density is increasing by between 5% and 8%.
    To give an idea, that means that a car like the Ioniq goes from a 28kWh battery costing $8000 to a 35kWh battery costing $5000 between 2016 and 2020. Keeping the same pack size.

VAG followed this model for the e-Golf, I'd say they'd do same for their future models.
    If the pattern holds, by 2025, a 2020 64kWh can by upgraded to an 85kWh whilst keeping the same battery size and saving them $4000

The platform itself could be around for the next 10+ years. The buzz etc are all based on it. They wont be available to buy till 2022.....

If you need a charge during your commute, you've picked the wrong car. An Ioniq / Leaf40 can easily do a 200km commute all year round. A 64kWh Kona can do a commute close to 500km. How far the hell is your commute, further than 500km in Ireland? :eek:

Any reason in particular you need 700-800km range in your budget EV? You say game changer. That means it will make a big difference for many people. Do you think there are many people who need a 700-800km range for their car?

The reason I’m saying a 700km to 800km range is because that’s what will finally kill of diesel.

We have people off buying 1.6l diesel hatch batches and they are used to being able to do long ranges between fill ups. I know that the EVs currently sold today meet most peoples daily commutes but some people just won’t except that and aren’t prepared to make the switch.

Once we have a EV that can do that sort of range it will be the end of the diesel ICE 🀞

Tesla are already promising a 1000km range in the roadster 2 and with the amount of investment in new battery tech I can see happening in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The reality is that only people who are prepared to pay extra dollar for the range over 300 km at motorway speeds are the ones that have never owned an EV.

A 60 kWh car that can repeatedly charge at 100 kW or higher for that extra 300 km of range in 30 minutes for 10 euro per pop is much preferable over a 500 km range car that costs another 5k over the cheaper model. Even if you ended up charging a couple of times every weekend it would take 5 years to spend that extra 5k in charging.

The bigger battery would only be needed if your daily drove over 300 km in one go without a chance for charging at work or while you were otherwise stopped. For the rest of the population having a 30 minute coffee break after 3 hours of driving would actually be a welcome thing.

We have people off buying 1.6l diesel hatch batches and they are used to being able to do long ranges between fill ups. I know that the EVs currently sold today meet most peoples daily commutes but some people just won’t except that and aren’t prepared to make the switch.

Meh. A bit like people who refused to start using ATMs as they were used to going into a bank (during their extremely short opening hours), queue for up to 2 hours and withdraw their money at the teller

They kept refusing until the banks imposed a £0.20 charge for taking out money at the teller and then everyone switched to ATMs in no time :p

An extra EUR0.10 excise on a liter of diesel every year from now on should do the trick nicely methinks. 90kWh economy cars me hole :D

You do realise that an economy EV like a EUR25k Ioniq (with just 28kWh) has a daily range of well over 200km? That's well over 70k km per year. More than 4 times the national average.

Meh. A bit like people who refused to start using ATMs as they were used to going into a bank (during their extremely short opening hours), queue for up to 2 hours and withdraw their money at the teller

They kept refusing until the banks imposed a £0.20 charge for taking out money at the teller and then everyone switched to ATMs in no time :p

An extra EUR0.25 excise on a liter of diesel every year from now on should do the trick nicely methinks. 90kWh economy cars me hole :D

Yo could be right but I don’t see the government being that brave !

I’m still convinced with the way battery tech is going we will see 80 - 100 kWh battery packs in normal family cars.

Range will become a big selling point for manufactures to differentiate models from the competition. Of course most people won’t actually need it but it won’t stop them buying it.

Yo could be right but I don’t see the government being that brave !

I lost the run of myself a little with that figure, that's why I edited my post to reduced it (upon reflection). My original figure still got through in your quote though :o

I’m still convinced with the way battery tech is going we will see 80 - 100 kWh battery packs in normal family cars.

Agreed. Batteries are getting cheaper and lighter all the time. There's nothing in the way of stopping that. But new economy cars don't need anything like 100kWh to be competitive and to pull people away from diesels. Carrots (subsidies, free charger, cheap tolls) work for young dynamic people. Old people stuck in their ways (diesel) need sticks (punitive taxes on diesel, high motor tax, congestion and pollution charges) :cool:

• Advertisement

The reason I’m saying a 700km to 800km range is because that’s what will finally kill of diesel.

Once we have a EV that can do that sort of range it will be the end of the diesel ICE ��

Tesla are already promising a 1000km range in the roadster 2 and with the amount of investment in new battery tech I can see happening in the medium term.

The only thing that will kill off diesel is tax, an electric car could be released today to do 900km and you would still see loads of people quoting they can do 1100km per fill.....

Good old tax will kill it off and based on the government press release expect the tax to start soon. So over te next few year 10 cent pre ltr on diesel. You will soon see how diesel lovers are left when they are paying high tax.....plus the WLTP already is cutting the number of diesels available, Ford Mondeo 1.6 diesel was their most popular, they have withdrawn it from Ireland because of the high tax......

Advertisement