Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk Thread IX: Grand Slam Champions SEE MOD WARNING POST #1122

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IX: James Ryan, Clear and Present Danger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Listening to Off the Ball this morning, Liam Toland making the point about potential issues on our wide defense. He highlighted Scotland's butchered opportunity (Huw Jones pass), which came from Hogg taking a lineout to himself and 2 long skip passes followed.

First thing that came to mind was England v Wales last year near the end of the game, 2 long passes, I think it was Ford to Farrell to Daly who finished in the corner? So we know England can put that kind of width on the ball. I wonder will he put Farrell into 10 tho and change his midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IX: James Ryan, It Ain't Easy Being Cheesy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Rob Kearney's Hot Air Balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

aloooof wrote: »
    Listening to Off the Ball this morning, Liam Toland making the point about potential issues on our wide defense. He highlighted Scotland's butchered opportunity (Huw Jones pass), which came from Hogg taking a lineout to himself and 2 long skip passes followed.

First thing that came to mind was England v Wales last year near the end of the game, 2 long passes, I think it was Ford to Farrell to Daly who finished in the corner? So we know England can put that kind of width on the ball. I wonder will he put Farrell into 10 tho and change his midfield?
    I always find it a bit disingenuous when commentators look at one side's chances without taking into account the actions of the opposition. I think even in commentary, the consensus was that Scotland rushed those passes and that's why they didn't go to hand. And a team rushes passes when they're under pressure. The way Jonny Sexton dealt with Huw Jones break is a case in point really. He didn't appear to do an awful lot, but what he did was change the balance very marginally in our favour; enough for Huw Jones to become indecisive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I always find it a bit disingenuous when commentators look at one side's chances without taking into account the actions of the opposition. I think even in commentary, the consensus was that Scotland rushed those passes and that's why they didn't go to hand. And a team rushes passes when they're under pressure. The way Jonny Sexton dealt with Huw Jones break is a case in point really. He didn't appear to do an awful lot, but what he did was change the balance very marginally in our favour; enough for Huw Jones to become indecisive.

What Sexton did then (which was absolutely perfect defence imo) is exactly what I'd love to see Kearney do so much more of.
    (Rather than the superman impersonation he nailed seconds before.)

I feel like Sexton's impact on that pass is a little revisionist. It's easy to say how genius his defense was now that it was a poor pass. I still think that pass sticks 95% of the time regardless of what Sexton did with his body language prior to the hit.

It was a **** pass. It should've been nailed and would be 8 or 9 times out of 10. We got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

kuang1 wrote: »
    What Sexton did then (which was absolutely perfect defence imo) is exactly what I'd love to see Kearney do so much more of.
    (Rather than the superman impersonation he nailed seconds before.)

That was very different. Kearney had to close down space on a chip through. The ball could have bounced anywhere and so waiting to see where it did bounce could have been every bit as problematic. Had it bounced in a way that he could have caught it had he pushed up then he'd have been wrong to hang back or if it had bounced a little more awkwardly for Jones then Rob could have nailed him in the tackle and we could have been putting pressure on to turnover. As it was the ball bounced pretty much perfectly for Jones and allowed him to step the onrushing Kearney.

It should be noted that for one of the Scottish opportunities that went into touch, it was Robs hard press that put the pressure on and forced the error too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I feel like Sexton's impact on that pass is a little revisionist. It's easy to say how genius his defense was now that it was a poor pass. I still think that pass sticks 95% of the time regardless of what Sexton did with his body language prior to the hit.

Yeah, but if sexton hadnt done what he did the pass hits 98% of the time. THats the 3% difference in performance that Eddie Jones was talking about

• Advertisement

It may well have stuck, but how Sexton handled that scenario was A1 perfection regardless of the final outcome. He couldn't have done any better.

Almost certainly, but the idea of forcing the attacker to make the decision rather than the defender means that the attacker is the one under pressure and making the possible mistake. Either way, in a 2 on 1 like that the odds are always heavily stacked against the defender.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That was very different. Kearney had to close down space on a chip through. The ball could have bounced anywhere and so waiting to see where it did bounce could have been every bit as problematic. Had it bounced in a way that he could have caught it had he pushed up then he'd have been wrong to hang back or if it had bounced a little more awkwardly for Jones then Rob could have nailed him in the tackle and we could have been putting pressure on to turnover. As it was the ball bounced pretty much perfectly for Jones and allowed him to step the onrushing Kearney.

It should be noted that for one of the Scottish opportunities that went into touch, it was Robs hard press that put the pressure on and forced the error too.

My reading of it was that Kearneys lunge actually impeded Earls (I think...need to watch it back again to be sure) who to me seemed like he had Jones in his sights.

My reading of it was that Kearneys lunge actually impeded Earls (I think...need to watch it back again to be sure) who to me seemed like he had Jones in his sights.

I don't remember where Earls was tbh. But the first consideration in that case has to be the ball. 100% of the time. That could have gone almost anywhere when it had bounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Id say the chap never got a wedgie in school.
    Or it's the wedgies that created him. That moulded him into the beast he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IX: James Ryan, Clear and Present Danger.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IX: Ryan's Slaughter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Lads sorry for the slightly OT post but I'm going to be in Madrid for the weekend, any recommendations for a good pub to watch game? I know there are a few Irish pubs but I'm sure some are better than others. Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Lads sorry for the slightly OT post but I'm going to be in Madrid for the weekend, any recommendations for a good pub to watch game? I know there are a few Irish pubs but I'm sure some are better than others. Cheers

Ask .ak, he was there recently, but he probably hung out in some hipster bar that played RTE Radio 1 commentary while showing a pre-revolutionary Cuban arthouse movie about the struggle of organic coffee farmers against the capitalist pigs of Nescafe, with complimentary beard trimming in the back bar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

It may well have stuck, but how Sexton handled that scenario was A1 perfection regardless of the final outcome. He couldn't have done any better.

Murray Kinsella has my favourite quote on this " this is try butchery so criminal that someone should have immediately contacted the Gardai, but it's worth noting what Sexton's brilliant defence does to Jones"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Oh there's no doubt that the confrontation was Sexton's to lose. In a 2 on 1, the odds are almost insurmountable. What Sexton did was tip the balance ever so slightly against the Scots.

And that's what I felt we did by and large in the few times when it looked like we were being overrun. Force the opposition to make the move on your terms rather than theirs. There were a couple of instances of passes not going to hand where the defensive pressure just closed them down enough to force the pass. The almost clichéed 'small margins' are made up of moments like that. It didn't always work out. Kinghorn's try was a beauty of a setup that we failed to identify. Three attackers lined up in a column behind the scrum and making three waves of attack that created an overlap. Even still, Garry Ringrose almost stopped it but was beaten by a split second.

• Advertisement

At this stage of the 6Ns Ireland have the most points, the most tries, the most carries, the most defenders beaten, the most passes, the most rucks won, the most metres gained and the most line outs won.

Source: https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

So who are people thinking as player of the tournament. Sexton should be up there. A: for the drop goal and B: his performance against Wales was incredible outside of the tee. Leavy could also be a shout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Stockdale will probably get it due to the tries...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

molloyjh wrote: »
    At this stage of the 6Ns Ireland have the most points, the most tries, the most carries, the most defenders beaten, the most passes, the most rucks won, the most metres gained and the most line outs won.

Source: https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/home.php

We must have the highest % possession and highest % territory as well, I'd imagine. I wonder how likely that is to be the case on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Christy42 wrote: »
    So who are people thinking as player of the tournament. Sexton should be up there. A: for the drop goal and B: his performance against Wales was incredible outside of the tee. Leavy could also be a shout.

Sexton for the drop goal alone. Without that single piece of class/guts/genius, our season would now most likely be a damp squib instead of another championship wrapped up with a good chance of a grand slam.

Sexton 6/4 favourite

Stockdale 9/1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Conor Murray will surely be nominated
    Guirado should be too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Drop goal is all I need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'd give it to Guirado, he's been awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Guirado and Camara have been brilliant for France throughout.

Ireland is a funny one where there are about 5 players who have had excellent tournaments but nobody has been a clear stand out which makes me wonder if they'll go with an Irish player. Someone will need to have a top class showing this weekend to get the nod.

They've had no issue with going for players from teams who haven't won in previous years. Hogg has won it in the last two tournaments. I would say Guirado has a great chance....or at least he should have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement