Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk Thread IX: Grand Slam Champions SEE MOD WARNING POST #1122

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Muhahahahahaa:D:D

Best one yet :pac:
    Mixed up his vernacular though. Americans call it "Patty's Day", but would never refer to NZ as "the colonies".

Solid 6 is all I can give it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Seriously though, Stocks needs to cut that out. Its a bad sign that there is a defensive systems failure that prompts an intercept shot as the best solution - that nevertheless has an undesirable risk in it.
    Its most unSchmidtly. If I were he I would be throwing a right tantrum over it. Not at Stocks himself particularly, but at the failings that lead to that situation.
    Jacob, please, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Lads sorry for the slightly OT post but I'm going to be in Madrid for the weekend, any recommendations for a good pub to watch game? I know there are a few Irish pubs but I'm sure some are better than others. Cheers

I was there last summer and went to the James Joyce for Dublin v Tyrone. Food seemed to be grand and there was a great atmosphere there.

One place worth visiting is Mercado San Miguel. A beautiful old wrought iron and glass building full of different food and drink options. Seriously buzzy in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Did the eggchasers do a live show recently in an Irish pub in Madrid called O'Neills? I'm guessing that might be a decent rugby pub if they chose same?

Edit - unless it's part of that shocking franchise they have in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Did the eggchasers do a live show recently in an Irish pub in Madrid called O'Neills? I'm guessing that might be a decent rugby pub if they chose same?

Edit - unless it's part of that shocking franchise they have in the UK?

It's a bit of a ****e chain but there are worse places to watch a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Really stating the obv but I think England will come flying out of there chariots and will be really up for this game but we need to show some balls and answer the challenge. This could be our 3rd GS and by far prob the most different path (2x away games against the historically big guns)

The feeling I have in my head is at the start of the campaign with our schedule would we have settled for the title ??. Excluding Italy (and Scotlands trips to us (after a while mind u) and Wales) all the other teams have been very competitive vs each other and on any given day can beat one another

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Buer wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think an outhalf has ever been given it. It's a popularity contest and Sexton isn't winning that.

Launchbury was superb last year but didn't even finish top 3.

Would ROG not have got one down through the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Should be the same game plan as last year. Play it tight, keep possession and smother them. If Jones persists with a big immobile back row, then we should make hay. This is a game where Henshaw would really shine. He was brilliant last year. He really got stuck in and hammered them. I just hope Sexton is on the money from the tee. If it comes down to penalties, he needs to make them count as Farrell usually is fantastic. George Ford has been pedestrian thus far and may not start. I hope he does and we send Church Aki, Stander and Furlong right down that channel. I've always yhought we'd ein this matvh and my confidence is high right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I've always yhought we'd ein this matvh and my confidence is high right now.

Just your confidence???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Auto correct and I am blind. Lol. Haven't had a drop in yrs, although I think I could use one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Ah yeah, Spencer, your typical Aucklander.

Except he was from Levin.

For the Irish, Levin is like Tullamore. You just feel extreme pity when someone says they are from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/69449e6a-26fc-11e8-acc5-262aff1ca7a6

Fairly Dodge decision here. The AR Marius Van Der Westhuizen was invited by England rugby to take a training session and accepted the week before he'll be on the sidelines for England v Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would ROG not have got one down through the years?

No. The award was introduced in 2004. The winners were:

Gordon D'Arcy
    Martyn Williams
    BOD
    BOD
    Shane Williams
    BOD
    Tommy Bowe
    Andrea Masi
    Dan Lydiate
    Leigh Halfpenny
    Mike Brown
    POC
    Stuart Hogg
    Stuart Hogg

Complete popularity contest. Most of the winners above were flavour of the month at the time and not the best players in that particular year. It's the problem with a public vote.

If you take that award and compare it to the World Rugby POTY nominees, only Halfpenny (2013), BOD (2009), Shane Williams (2008) and D'Arcy (2004) were actually viewed as good enough by the panel of former players and journalists who vote for that award.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The two forwards who have ever won it are Martyn Williams (fair enough) and Dan Lydiate?

Suffering jaysus.

The two forwards who have ever won it are Martyn Williams (fair enough) and Dan Lydiate?

Suffering jaysus.

POC too.

Lydiate was a bit of a media darling that year purely for the tactic of cutting attackers down. He was completely flavour of the month. He had a fine tournament but probably the most limited player ever to win the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

POC too.

Ah yes didn't spot him. But still very lopsided towards backs. Running fast with the ball is a pretty obvious thing I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

They should split the award into forward/back.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

Guirado out of the next game will hurt his chances. 
    If Basteraud has a stormer in the next game he could be up for a nomination - he's grabbed loads of column inches since his return.

• Rumour mill is saying that Johnny Sexton is a bloody legend and that he'll win MotM this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

South African official Marius Van Der Westhuizen was in England camp yesterday refereeing their training session. He's the AR for the game on Saturday. Thoughts?..

Quint2010 wrote: »
    South African official Marius Van Der Westhuizen was in England camp yesterday refereeing their training session. He's the AR for the game on Saturday. Thoughts?..
    Being discussed on the 'Other TT" thread.

It's not against the rules, but the AR may have to replace the matchday ref, so that could then be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Gordon D'Arcy
    Martyn Williams
    BOD
    BOD
    Shane Williams
    BOD
    Tommy Bowe
    Andrea Masi
    Dan Lydiate
    Leigh Halfpenny
    Mike Brown
    POC
    Stuart Hogg
    Stuart Hogg

Complete popularity contest. Most of the winners above were flavour of the month at the time and not the best players in that particular year. It's the problem with a public vote.

If you take that award and compare it to the World Rugby POTY nominees, only Halfpenny (2013), BOD (2009), Shane Williams (2008) and D'Arcy (2004) were actually viewed as good enough by the panel of former players and journalists who vote for that award.

Stockdale would win so if he scores a try in the English match,

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Stockdale would win so if he scores a try in the English match,

I'd expect him to. He's a marketable, young bloke who is scoring lots of tries. Perfect for a public vote.

There has been no really stand out player in this tournament so it may well go to whoever scores the most unless someone like Sexton or Murray has a big game this weekend.

The Telegraph have a good article on Ringrose's actions during the Scotland match. It's by Charlie Morgan, but I think that's one of Murray Kinsella's aliases. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Either Murray or Sexton should win it, but I'd say Stockdale has a big chance too just because he has scored loads of tries and his profile has gone through the roof.

Elsewhere Huw Jones would have been in the running, but then he got manshamed by Ringrose!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Damn you RTE.ie! Just read the headline "Simmonds out......... for Slam-buster revenge".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Gordon D'Arcy
    Martyn Williams
    BOD
    BOD
    Shane Williams
    BOD
    Tommy Bowe
    Andrea Masi
    Dan Lydiate
    Leigh Halfpenny
    Mike Brown
    POC
    Stuart Hogg
    Stuart Hogg

LOL how on earth did Vunipola not win it in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The WR POTY has been a joke at times too. One year in particular JMFL was clearly in the top echelon of players and wasn't even nominated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The WR POTY has been a joke at times too. One year in particular JMFL was clearly in the top echelon of players and wasn't even nominated.

BOD 2009. Pricks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement