Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Preload on psn is Wednesday .
    Preload is available today for digital deluxe and croft edition as they allow you to play the game from Wednesday

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Preload is available today for digital deluxe and croft edition as they allow you to play the game from Wednesday

Lucky bastards! :3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Very excited for this!

Have to somehow not play it though while I push through Spider-Man.

Absolutely love the series, so more of the same with small improvements is good with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭jones

Just pre-ordered this from Smyths for 54.99 so cant go wrong for that price. I loved the first one and thought the second one was good so definitely excited for this. I skipped Spiderman but only because my brother bought it and he'll be finished it in a couple of weeks and i can steal it.

Reviews seem good and i love a game that pushes my pro to the max. Seems very quiet generally about this game but maybe its coming out at a bad time (inbetween spiderman and RDR2)

Anyone pick this up yet?

Had the Croft edition ordered myself with Smyths but they had a stock delay.

• Advertisement

Had the Croft edition ordered myself with Smyths but they had a stock delay.

Is it out today?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

jones wrote: »
    Is it out today?

Tomorrow.

Croft Edition was out yesterday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Gameplay wise, it's more of the same as the previous two, which is fine.

But technically, on PC at least, it's badly bugged. Even just alt-tabbing causes a guaranteed crash to desktop. Choosing the wrong options in the graphics causes it to crash to desktop claiming I have insufficient resources. Given that I have a 10 core i9 and two GTX 1080s, I'm curious as to what they think constitutes sufficient resources then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's getting pretty solid reviews on Metacritic. Being docked points for "more of the same" but looks great, apparently. I'll definitely get his but not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ Salvatore Fancy Glassware

No innovation. Il pass on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

The game is great so far my fears about the switchover in development teams has gone I’m loving it so far.

The graphics are crazy good the jungles are up there with uncharted 4s imo the graphics downgrade talks are BS.

The locations are really cool and the atmosphere of the jungle are top notch.

Lara’s voice acting here is the best so far the actress has finally toned down the excessive panting and OTT screams.

I love the fact that when you pick up a collectible it stays off screen instead of going directly into the document when Lara talking that was really annoying in the last 2.

I’m about four hours in so far that’s with doing 2 tombs as well so cannot speak for the whole game yet but the jaguar scene was one of the coolest in the whole trilogy

The action has been scaled back alot so far I haven't even had any major action shoot out scenes yet but about 3 or 4 stealth scenes in all.

Looking forward to continuing the game later

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume you didn't play the previous two then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Think the separate adjustable difficulty on combat, puzzles and exploration is one of the most innovative things I've heard in some time, hope they managed to pull it off.

I'm curious to know what would need innovation when the last 2 games were very highly praised most of the complaints were about story and action with the last 2 games and imo that's trying to be addressed in this game

Its the 3rd in the trilogy so of course the samey feeling will kick in at this point

ERG89 wrote: »
    Think the separate adjustable difficulty on combat, puzzles and exploration is one of the most innovative things I've heard in some time, hope they managed to pull it off.

It works and it's cool I turned exploration hints off and I am looking around the environment alot more instead of just looking and thinking "oh wheres that white line" lol I got stuck a few times thinking that's not climbable and yet it was ha

Alot of people what that rock solid gameplay back but I guarantee if this was the default setting the game would have been docked alot of lower reviews because of this.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume you didn't play the previous two then either.

Completed them both. If it's not willing to take any new risks and try something different then as I said I'm passing on this one.

Completed them both. If it's not willing to take any new risks and try something different then as I said I'm passing on this one.

Rise didn't really do all that much different from the first game so I don't understand that logic lol

biggebruv wrote: »
    Rise didn't really do all that much different from the first game so I don't understand that logic lol

Exactly my point. I loved the first one. Thought the second one was decent but more of the same and got to become a choir towards the end.
    This is as per previous titles and more of the same again without any risk taking.

Way too much coming out or out that's better than this.

Not sure why you don't understand that logic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The first two (god why did I play the second one) are easily among the worst, most insipid AAA games I’ve ever played, so was pleased to see a few more critical ‘takes’ on this one floating around alongside the positive ones. Always felt the games got off easier than they deserved, allowing of course for the genuine differences in opinion.

Really hope they go a new direction now that this trilogy is done - hopefully away from this combat-heavy, grim-dark approach they’ve taken with these ones.

• Advertisement

- hopefully away from this combat-heavy, grim-dark approach they’ve taken with these ones.

Well I personally hope they don't, I loved the mixture of gun combat and solving tombs, finding relics and learning a bit history.

The first two (god why did I play the second one) are easily among the worst, most insipid AAA games I’ve ever played, so was pleased to see a few more critical ‘takes’ on this one floating around alongside the positive ones. Always felt the games got off easier than they deserved, allowing of course for the genuine differences in opinion.

Really hope they go a new direction now that this trilogy is done - hopefully away from this combat-heavy, grim-dark approach they’ve taken with these ones.

I’ve played close to 4 or 5 hours now the game has like zero combat heavy sections so far

I definitely favoured the second game over the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Exactly my point. I loved the first one. Thought the second one was decent but more of the same and got to become a choir towards the end.
    This is as per previous titles and more of the same again without any risk taking.

Way too much coming out or out that's better than this.

Not sure why you don't understand that logic.

I think this is the issue, there's some potentially time sink heavy games coming up for me. I've decided to get Destiny : Foresaken, RDR2 in October and BFV in November. I'm frantically trying to complete last months free PS+ games as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Sight808

Really enjoying the experience so far. Don't usually get a game on release day but made the exception for this. I like how it throws you straight into the action, cut-scenes are plentiful but not too long, there is a lovely mix of action and exploring. Tiny bit buggy in some parts but nothing major or requiring a restart.

Music and sound are spot on too!

About 4 hours in so far and loving it. Graphics top notch on the pro, jungle is amazing. It's not reinventing the wheel but really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think that's total over-blown exaggeration.

You don't buy the second in a series, even on sale, if you consider the first to be one of the worst AAA games you've ever played. Hell, do you even finish the first if it's that terrible to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have this pre-ordered with smyths for a few weeks but never got the chance to pick it up today so I will tomorrow.

Regarding same old same old that is fine with me as an above poster said I liked the exploration and collecting relics and solving Tombs. If it's not broke don't fix it.

About removing the white paint. I might give that a try as it does make it really easy in the last two to find out where to go. It will be more like classic Tomb Raider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

J. Marston wrote: »

You don't buy the second in a series, even on sale, if you consider the first to be one of the worst AAA games you've ever played. Hell, do you even finish the first if it's that terrible to you?

Agreed. It's not like the second was that much different, outside the usual bigger, more explosions part of a sequel. I loved the first, I didn't like the second one as much (mainly from a story point of view) but I still enjoyed it, and I'll get to this one once I finish other things on my plate - I do agree it's a bad time for it. With Spider-Man last week, and Read Dead coming out soon, it seems like they've set this up for failure a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

J. Marston wrote: »

Firmly believe they're two of the worst AAA games I've played :)

Actually quite fond of the series, and though the Legend / Anniversary / Underworld games did a decent job (mostly) of capturing the essence of the original games without the clunkiness. The reboot came across to me as a miserable and misguided effort to make the series more 'serious'... but just came across as a weak copy of Uncharted with added psychotic Lara being physically punished at every opportunity. Was just boring IMO.

Why play the second one? Well I'd heard the game had improved the 'tomb raiding' aspects, and frankly I wanted to give my PC a graphical workout... so, yes, picked it up on sale. Sadly, the game was worse than feared, and if anything made my feelings about the first game even stronger than they'd been before. Terrible writing and storytelling; design too reliant on both semi-open world busywork and long stretches of repetitive combat; half-assed survival and scavenging mechanics; unengaging platforming and puzzling; and weak pseudo Metroidvania design (areas locked off until you unlock a certain item... with the game telling you exactly what item you need IIRC). No doubting the games have been carefully and expensively crafted (my PC did get that workout!)... but they're just kinda everything I hate about a lot of modern day game design.

Absolutely my fault for giving the second game a chance, TBH, and won't be doing the same with this one as I've firmly established they're not for me. I'm glad others enjoy them, but for me personally they're the poster child for the blandness and mediocrity of many AAA games these days. I should stress my threshold for 'worst AAA games I've played' is likely different than others... I go out of my way to avoid what I've heard are clunkers or disasters, so games that are competent but mediocre tend to be among the worst I've played in recent years.

Advertisement