Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Niro Phev

• 25-03-2018 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭All in all

Hi all, some great reading in the threads here.
    I am considering making the change to fully electric or phev. My work commute is 50 km each way and have access to a charger in public car park at work, however one day each week I travel approx 270-300 km. I haven’t researched charging spots on this route.

The niro phev has caught my eye and I was looking at 6-12 month old ones in the U.K. for £21-22k, from the best I can look up online there would be relief of €2250 on the vrt? Does anyone know if this is correct, would I be eligible for any seai grants?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

All in all wrote: »
    Hi all, some great reading in the threads here.
    I am considering making the change to fully electric or phev. My work commute is 50 km each way and have access to a charger in public car park at work, however one day each week I travel approx 270-300 km. I haven’t researched charging spots on this route.

The niro phev has caught my eye and I was looking at 6-12 month old ones in the U.K. for £21-22k, from the best I can look up online there would be relief of €2250 on the vrt? Does anyone know if this is correct, would I be eligible for any seai grants?.

Might be worth waiting for the Niro Full EV

Or the Hyundai Kona will be out sooner than the Niro.

You will be restricted in regards to buying second hand. If going PHEV it might be worth looking at the Outlander which is the most popular. Seem to be selling well as Electric autos sold one before it even arrived....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I had the misfortune of visiting a Kia dealer at the weekend and asked about the Niro PHEV, the "salesman" was unsure of the price and was adamant that whatever grants or tax relief that applied depended on who buys the car and what they applied for and that it was nothing to do with him.

Was he correct?

quenching wrote: »
    I had the misfortune of visiting a Kia dealer at the weekend and asked about the Niro PHEV, the "salesman" was unsure of the price and was adamant that whatever grants or tax relief that applied depended on who buys the car and what they applied for and that it was nothing to do with him.

Was he correct?

Tell him to go to kia.com for pricing

The grants and tax relief I am not 100% about, I do think if bought as company car you lose some of those?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Tell him to go to kia.com for pricing

The grants and tax relief I am not 100% about, I do think if bought as company car you lose some of those?

He was quite aware it would be a private purchase, and given his lack of interest and dismissive attitude I won't be going anywhere near that Kia dealer again.

However, as fate would have it, it turns out that an acquaintance of mine is the MD of Kia Ireland, I didn't realise this until very recently as we only really overlap at social events but I might mention the dealer attitude when I see him next ;)

He was quite aware it would be a private purchase, and given his lack of interest and dismissive attitude I won't be going anywhere near that Kia dealer again.

However, as fate would have it, it turns out that an acquaintance of mine is the MD of Kia Ireland, I didn't realise this until very recently as we only really overlap at social events but I might mention the dealer attitude when I see him next ;)

While you are discussing that could you mention to him about a very lovely prospective buyer for the Niro EV

It would go to a lovely home and polished every weekend :P

If you haven't guess that home would be mine....

Also say if he wants I can write a sob story like the best of them on facebook if that will swing it my way

Early release would be best

P.S. In regards to Salesman, this is normal, most of them have no idea if it isn't a diesel so they just make up stuff so you will ask about the diesel. Too lazy to actually do their job and train up on new products.....

• Advertisement

While you are discussing that could you mention to him about a very lovely prospective buyer for the Niro EV

It would go to a lovely home and polished every weekend :P

If you haven't guess that home would be mine....

Also say if he wants I can write a sob story like the best of them on facebook if that will swing it my way

Early release would be best

He's a nice chap so I'm sure he'll have one sent over to you promptly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Was he correct?

I think he was talking s*ite
    The grants are clearly detailed on the SEAI website for private and commercial buyers
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-amounts/

In addition you have the the VRT exemption which for PHEV is €2500 and €5000 for BEV.

And you have the €600 home charge grant.

The dealer will take care of the grants associated with the car and usually the sticker price has the grants already deducted. You take care of the home charge grant. Clearly he hasn't ever sold an EV of any description.

KCross wrote: »
    I think he was talking s*ite
    The grants are clearly detailed on the SEAI website for private and commercial buyers
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-amounts/

In addition you have the the VRT exemption which for PHEV is €2500 and €5000 for BEV.

And you have the €600 home charge grant.

The dealer will take care of the grants associated with the car and usually the sticker price has the grants already deducted. You take care of the home charge grant. Clearly he hasn't ever sold an EV of any description.

And not likely to either!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

All in All, that's very poor by the salesman you met. I have a Kia Carens and have found the dealer (Dublin based) excellent, before/during/after the sale. I am seriously considering the Niro Phev for my next car. I dropped in to a Kia dealer in Wexford a couple of months ago, and it was clear that the salesman I met could not understand anyone being interested in a hybrid let alone a PHEV.....I suspect it is a urban/rural thing......people living in rural areas would want to stick with diesel.

vienne86 wrote: »
    All in All, that's very poor by the salesman you met. I have a Kia Carens and have found the dealer (Dublin based) excellent, before/during/after the sale. I am seriously considering the Niro Phev for my next car. I dropped in to a Kia dealer in Wexford a couple of months ago, and it was clear that the salesman I met could not understand anyone being interested in a hybrid let alone a PHEV.....I suspect it is a urban/rural thing......people living in rural areas would want to stick with diesel.

Selling a Carens in bread & butter to these guys.....it has a nice diesel engine they all know and love

I bet if you walked into the same Dublin based dealer and asked about a PHEV you would get a confused look.....anyone bar Toyota dealers know about hybrid.....Nissan dealers at least have some idea with the Leaf.....

It is a joke that so few dealers both to train themselves up on new models...I work in a business and we have new products are released every few months....if you dont know the new products you will be fired....car dealers seem to allowed idiots to work for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Selling a Carens in bread & butter to these guys.....it has a nice diesel engine they all know and love

I bet if you walked into the same Dublin based dealer and asked about a PHEV you would get a confused look.....anyone bar Toyota dealers know about hybrid.....Nissan dealers at least have some idea with the Leaf.....

It is a joke that so few dealers both to train themselves up on new models...I work in a business and we have new products are released every few months....if you dont know the new products you will be fired....car dealers seem to allowed idiots to work for them

You could be right - there are three new Phev's on Carzone right now in Dublin dealers. One is priced at €37,245 and the other two, in a different dealer, are priced at €32,800! All the ads mention the VRT rebate, which has been factored in, but none mention the SEAI grant!

vienne86 wrote: »

I was in fact in a Dublin based dealership, but once I mentioned PHEV or petrol automatic the salesmen immediately lost interest, it would have been quite funny it was so obvious but he was rude and ignorant with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What are these sales people on? Do they not know the Outlander PHEV has been a huge seller for years in many countries, like the UK?

Or are PHEV / EVs less lucrative to sell from a point of commission? You'd nearly start thinking the latter, as the former makes no sense. No one can be that thick.

Anyone buy the Niro PHEV, was looking at some videos this morning and noticed it has the same system as the VW Hybrid has. So it uses the Sat Nav to check which mode it should be and picks it automatically for you

Sounds very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

I test drive one yesterday... Very nice
    Drives like an electric, pick up is as good as the leaf (we've a 24kW), was worried it wasn't really going to deliver the same performance and have some level of ICE lag. Also the transitions from EV to hybrid and back, using the mode button, was very smooth

Quite impressed really. Very good cabin space and decent boot space. The full EV will be a cracking car... Not sure my 13 year old Prius will last that long though.

Going to try a test drive in an Outlander tomorrow.

I test drive one yesterday... Very nice
    Drives like an electric, pick up is as good as the leaf (we've a 24kW), was worried it wasn't really going to deliver the same performance and have some level of ICE lag. Also the transitions from EV to hybrid and back, using the mode button, was very smooth

Quite impressed really. Very good cabin space and decent boot space. The full EV will be a cracking car... Not sure my 13 year old Prius will last that long though.

Going to try a test drive in an Outlander tomorrow.

What price are they? is it 32k or 36k?

They offered me 3k for my 05 Prius (pretty generous)
    Still a lot of money though

Its a serious amount of car for that money!!!

The Outlander PHEV is 40k or something new

Its a serious amount of car for that money!!!

The Outlander PHEV is 40k or something new
    I'd only be looking at a 2015/16 Outlander... 30k is a stretch for me on the new niro, let alone the 40-50k on a new Outlander :)

I'd only be looking at a 2015/16 Outlander... 30k is a stretch for me on the new niro, let alone the 40-50k on a new Outlander :)

The Niro looks good value from uk, I spotted a black version with full black leather

The Outlander is excellent value but warranty is 50 or 60k miles so be careful, a lot of irish dealer bring in high mileage ones because they can pick up for nothing in uk and then putting up at stupid money here

• Advertisement

I've been derailing the Niro EV thread..... anyone here bought a Niro PHEV?

What type of driving are you doing in it each day? Speed, types of roads (L, N or M)?
    What mpg or l/100km are you averaging?
    What distance are you getting in EV only mode?
    Apparently the engine has to run to heat the cabin. Does the engine run a lot as a result?
    Any issues with the car in general?
    Is there anything you would change about it?

thanks

I've been derailing the Niro EV thread..... anyone here bought a Niro PHEV?

What type of driving are you doing in it each day? Speed, types of roads (L, N or M)?
    What mpg or l/100km are you averaging?
    What distance are you getting in EV only mode?
    Apparently the engine has to run to heat the cabin. Does the engine run a lot as a result?
    Any issues with the car in general?
    Is there anything you would change about it?

thanks

In regards to the engine running to heat the cabin, Outlander has the same issue. The way around it on Outlander is to use the timer to heat before you get in. Does the Niro have similar?

Also a lot of advertisement around a little device you can plug into Outlander to let you run heating off battery.....

More of an FYI

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }[/COLOR]

In regards to the engine running to heat the cabin, Outlander has the same issue. The way around it on Outlander is to use the timer to heat before you get in. Does the Niro have similar?

Also a lot of advertisement around a little device you can plug into Outlander to let you run heating off battery.....

More of an FYI

thanks
    I've a question out on SpeakEV to clarify as well as I dont know if it allows timed pre-heating.

I'm also thinking that you dont have to turn on the heater at all if it has heated steering wheel and heated seats(which I believe it has).

e.g. In the Leaf I rarely turn on the heater, just the heated seats and steering wheel and that does me fine. So, it might be less of a problem than people think.

thanks
    I've a question out on SpeakEV to clarify as well as I dont know if it allows timed pre-heating.

I'm also thinking that you dont have to turn on the heater at all if it has heated steering wheel and heated seats(which I believe it has).

e.g. In the Leaf I rarely turn on the heater, just the heated seats and steering wheel and that does me fine. So, it might be less of a problem than people think.

In eGolf I use the preheat to warm cabin, then it only loses 1% with heated seats so I just warm my arse....have to make cut back so the Misses and kids wear jackets :p:p

From a few folks in the UK they say it doesn't have cabin pre-heating, which is a pity.
    It does however have very good heated seats with multiple levels with the hottest one being even too warm for most. I think that will do me fine the majority of the time.

And one guy said that when you do use the heater it use a minimal amount of petrol.... 1.5l/100km when in -15C conditions. Dont know how accurate that is.

Need to get some more examples of real world mpg figures.

I've seen a good few say that getting 65+mpg is easy enough on motorway at 70mph. Some getting into the 90's for slower/mixed driving.
    Obviously, if the 50km range is within your daily usage expect exceptional mpg figures.

How far beyond 50km you go will determine your overall mpg. Since 50km is within our daily commute I think we would get very good mpg from it notwithstanding the heater issue.

I think its worthy of a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

No cabin pre heat but good heated seats and heated steering wheel.

Bought in August, done 5,200km on four tanks of fuel (averaging €50 a fill) with 500km of fuel left in it currently, by the end of a tank average is usually 40 km/l or 110mpg roughly. On motorway at 125ish mpg is about 70 using the engine.

Get 55-58km from the battery now, not sure how winter will affect that as winter vs summer range in my Zoe is quite different.

Drive 40km each way commuting with charging both ends so electric only. Mixture of L and N roads, some sitting in traffic in Dublin and tackling a good stretch of Wicklow mountain. Other driving is weekend stuff and several long runs to Galway, Roscommon, North Antrim coast etc. Car has been offroading (just in fields a bit) no bother.

No issues so far, car is comfortable, nice to drive and cheap to run. People are cagey about the boot space but I've fitted dog guard and divider and get four spaniels in easily. Fitted a mattress in at Ikea without removing any of that, just dropped the passenger side rear seat. It fitted the bill for us when another BEV wouldn't and we got a good deal with trade-in of a diesel Peugeot.

Springwell wrote: »
    No cabin pre heat but good heated seats and heated steering wheel.

Bought in August, done 5,200km on four tanks of fuel (averaging €50 a fill) with 500km of fuel left in it currently, by the end of a tank average is usually 40 km/l or 110mpg roughly. On motorway at 125ish mpg is about 70 using the engine.

Get 55-58km from the battery now, not sure how winter will affect that as winter vs summer range in my Zoe is quite different.

Drive 40km each way commuting with charging both ends so electric only. Mixture of L and N roads, some sitting in traffic in Dublin and tackling a good stretch of Wicklow mountain. Other driving is weekend stuff and several long runs to Galway, Roscommon, North Antrim coast etc. Car has been offroading (just in fields a bit) no bother.

No issues so far, car is comfortable, nice to drive and cheap to run. People are cagey about the boot space but I've fitted dog guard and divider and get four spaniels in easily. Fitted a mattress in at Ikea without removing any of that, just dropped the passenger side rear seat. It fitted the bill for us when another BEV wouldn't and we got a good deal with trade-in of a diesel Peugeot.

Any reason why a roof rack wouldntwork with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Not that I can see

I think I will hold out till I see some pricing for the Niro BEV

I was sitting behind a red Outlander yesterday and my wife was hugely impressed....it might be worth swapping the diesel guzzler for a PHEV for the next few years and then move to full BEV.

Would I spend 40k on a Kia?? if it was an Audi then Yes, but a Kia...the mind boggles :-)

It just might be worth holding out till 2021 for the VW Crozz

• Advertisement

Just wondering for update, you mentioned 40km/l

So that would be 2.5ltr/100km? is it still running at that

Advertisement