Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Niro Phev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

KCross wrote: »
    I have been watching them too. Poor EV range though.

Its not great, EPA range of 22km vs Kia Niro phev range of 46km

It would suit me as I only have a 10km commute to work

New 19 version will have 40km EPA like Kia which is pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Replace remaining diesel. Keeping Leaf.

Not willing to spend €40k on a long range BEV from Korea and need something that can do long range when needed. Don’t want pure ICE.

That unfortunately leaves PHEV. Unless you good folks have any better ideas?

Nothing else and the Kia is really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Nothing else and the Kia is really nice

Have you driven one?
    I thought it would have more poke, but it’s not bad!

Have you driven one?
    I thought it would have more poke, but it’s not bad!

No, didn't drive it.

We spent a long time looking around it in Kia, they only had one PHEV and it would have meant taking down from the show room so we left. It even passed the MIsses test which is haaarrrddddd to pass

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So guys, the UK's have been around a while now and coming to used market, any more imports and how did ye get on?

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    So guys, the UK's have been around a while now and coming to used market, any more imports and how did ye get on?

I’m in brexit and sterling watch mode. Didn’t pull the trigger on it yet.

Secondhand prices in the Uk went up end of last year due to reduced grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Anybody know if its possible to preheat the Niro PHEV (when plugged in)?

ta

How are people finding it? Had mine about a week now. Have to say I really like it. Found a big difference swapping back to the missus ICE last night when i had to drive it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy

daheff wrote: »

ta

How are people finding it? Had mine about a week now. Have to say I really like it. Found a big difference swapping back to the missus ICE last night when i had to drive it for a while.

I'm finding it hard to go swap back to our non-automatic ICE.

As far as I know it cannot be pre-heated but I dont know for sure.

What I do in the Niro PHEV on a cold morning.

1. Let the ICE idle to heat up the cabin (even if im only driving in EV mode).
    2. Turn the heat setting down so that the ICE doesnt kick in and use the heated seats and heated steering wheel.
    3. Let the ICE idle to heat up the cabin AND turn on the heated seats and heated steering wheel for that extra toasty feeling.
    4. Sometimes on cold mornings I just use Hybrid mode first and switch over to EV after a few minutes when the cabin has heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ta

It is not possible.

I asked here and on the UK forum and its apparently not possible but the heated seats are quite good so unless its absolutely freezing you should be OK with those although cabin pre-heating would have been nice.

See Springwells post 27 on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I asked here and on the UK forum and its apparently not possible but the heated seats are quite good so unless its absolutely freezing you should be OK with those although cabin pre-heating would have been nice.

For me pre-heating is not just about the temp inside the car, it's more about perfectly clear windows all around i.e. no snow/frost on the outside and no condensation on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 64,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lossy wrote: »
    What I do in the Niro PHEV on a cold morning.

1. Let the ICE idle to heat up the cabin

Very bad practice. It causes maximum wear on the petrol engine. And if it means the keys are with the car while the engine is running, then if someone steals the car, you are not covered by your insurance. Goodbye €30k

thanks all for your responses on this.

While heated seats & steering wheel are all toasty for me, theres none in the back seat...and i dont want the kids to be freezing (yeah i'm that nice!):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

While heated seats & steering wheel are all toasty for me, theres none in the back seat...and i dont want the kids to be freezing (yeah i'm that nice!):D

Don't blame you

It's a stupid flaw

Who drives around without heating on

Hot water bottle, sorted

ta

What sort of ltr/100km are you getting after the battery is empty?

What sort of ltr/100km are you getting after the battery is empty?

to be honest i'm not 100% sure. I'm mainly using the battery. I have had to make 1 return trip of of around 200km (so about 150km on petrol).

1've done about 1500km in total and the petrol usage is saying 1.4l/100km....which means (if my maths is right), i've used about 21l in total, driving about 150km....so 14l/100km ?? Now i know everytime you accellerate sharply the engine kicks in, same when you turn on AC....petrol usage seems to be highest turning on the engine....and all that skews the stats on it.

i'd say reasonably speaking its probably doing 6-7l/100km. The engine is 1.6l after all. Next time i need to use petrol only I'll keep an eye on it and let you know.

to be honest i'm not 100% sure. I'm mainly using the battery. I have had to make 1 return trip of of around 200km (so about 150km on petrol).

1've done about 1500km in total and the petrol usage is saying 1.4l/100km....which means (if my maths is right), i've used about 21l in total, driving about 150km....so 14l/100km ?? Now i know everytime you accellerate sharply the engine kicks in, same when you turn on AC....petrol usage seems to be highest turning on the engine....and all that skews the stats on it.

i'd say reasonably speaking its probably doing 6-7l/100km. The engine is 1.6l after all. Next time i need to use petrol only I'll keep an eye on it and let you know.

Thanks

What way does it work after the battery is drained? does it kick back into battery mode at all or just run totally from the petrol engine?

Thanks

What way does it work after the battery is drained? does it kick back into battery mode at all or just run totally from the petrol engine?

Petrol seems to kick in when the battery is around 20% (tells you range goes to about 0). Petrol engine charges the battery as well as moving the car, so you find the battery kicking back in as you reduce speed /in traffic. Its not so noticeable for passengers (but you do get used to no engine vibrations, so when it happens you do feel it).

I found that the battery then goes below the 20% ...I think it went as low as 12% afterwards.

So did 25km on petrol engine yesterday. Mainly 70/80km av speed (with cabin heater on).

Starting battery full range 58km
    Starting petrol range 498km

finishing battery range 40km
    Finishing petrol range 473km.

Petrol usage swung between 2.7l/100km and 3.4l/100km (finishing point).

As I had a full battery when starting makes me wonder how much more petrol would have been used if i had an empty battery to start with.

• Advertisement

So you used up 25km petrol range PLUS 18km electric range to cover 25km at low speeds?

unkel wrote: »
    So you used up 25km petrol range PLUS 18km electric range to cover 25km at low speeds?

yep.

That doesn't sound great. Wonder what happened there. No switching on heating to high or driving like a maniac or something like that after taking the original range readings?

GOM in Ioniq is pretty accurate when you don't change your behaviour, I'd have thought Niro would use the same tech being from a sister company

unkel wrote: »
    That doesn't sound great. Wonder what happened there. No switching on heating to high or driving like a maniac or something like that after taking the original range readings?

No driving like a maniac - had the heater on (Around 20c)...For most of my driving the petrol engine doesn't get used. I'm on EV mode mostly. Occasionally it does, and have to say i'm not overly unhappy with the petrol usage...but admittedly it could be better.

anybody else here buy a PHEV Niro? whats your thoughts on it?

mine had its 1000km check today.

One thing I have noticed is that the speed limiter is more a guide than anything. If you stick it at 60 you can easily get to 63/64 before any attempt to pull you back down. Also if you floor it the limiter is overridden.

One thing I have noticed is that the speed limiter is more a guide than anything. If you stick it at 60 you can easily get to 63/64 before any attempt to pull you back down.

In the Leaf it goes maybe 1 or 2 over but not more than that.
    Also if you floor it the limiter is overridden.

Thats by design. All cars do that. There is a kickdown switch that gets pressed when you push the peddle to the bottom... its basically your way of quickly telling the car you need power now and you need to override the limiter.... e.g. to avoid a collision.

Limiter should allow that if you want to take over

Same as cruise control. you can floor and then it will go back to original speed

Limiter should allow that if you want to take over

I don’t have that with our other car (Nissan note).
    Was a little surprised when I was told it could do that!

I don’t have that with our other car (Nissan note).
    Was a little surprised when I was told it could do that!

Depends on car, I have always got cruise control etc, a few never let me floor it but on the newer ones they will if you want to take over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

A neighbour was telling be about a friends plug in niro and he seems well impressed with it. Are people getting 50km out of the battery range? That would get me to the office easily and i could charge there and get home..

How is the size compared to other cars? Easily fit a family of four and decent boot space? Pity they not doing 0% on it as might be able to change into one from the Octavia diesel

Advertisement