Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Niro Phev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

A neighbour was telling be about a friends plug in niro and he seems well impressed with it. Are people getting 50km out of the battery range? That would get me to the office easily and i could charge there and get home..

How is the size compared to other cars? Easily fit a family of four and decent boot space? Pity they not doing 0% on it as might be able to change into one from the Octavia diesel

They are bigger than a Stonic and smaller to a Sportage.....

Loads of room for a family of 4 but like all these vehicles a decent size boot is questionable. Best to drop into a garage and test them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

A neighbour was telling be about a friends plug in niro and he seems well impressed with it. Are people getting 50km out of the battery range? That would get me to the office easily and i could charge there and get home..

How is the size compared to other cars? Easily fit a family of four and decent boot space? Pity they not doing 0% on it as might be able to change into one from the Octavia diesel

50km might be a push in this weather..... just. boot size isn't great... not bad but you'd struggle with suitcases going to the airport.
    size is good. nice & big inside, but as pointed out smaller than a sportage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That would get me to the office easily and i could charge there and get home..

Do you have access to a charge point or a 3 pin socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

kceire wrote: »
    That would get me to the office easily and i could charge there and get home..

Do you have access to a charge point or a 3 pin socket?
    There are charge points at work

question for any PHEV Niro owners -how are you finding the range?

I do a fairly similar journey every day. About 15km backroads, 15km motorway. I am finding big variations on remaining range. At the start when i got the car (end Jan) I found I was arriving with approx 28km range left. Last couple of weeks I am finding range is down to 20/21 km when i arrive.

I know we had warmer weather end Jan, but does it really cause this much fluctuation in range?

anybody else have any experiences to share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Temperature and water on the road are two big variables for range on any car but magnified in an EV/PHEV.

You will get large variations as a result so I'd say it is expected.

Yesterday, with all the rain, would have been terrible for you.
    For the rest of the week with much warmer temps (upto 20C... yippee!) and dry roads you should be back up to 28 again.... come back to us in a few days and you will have your own answer! :)

It's also possible you are wearing heavier shoes! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

daheff wrote: »
    question for any PHEV Niro owners -how are you finding the range?

I do a fairly similar journey every day. About 15km backroads, 15km motorway. I am finding big variations on remaining range. At the start when i got the car (end Jan) I found I was arriving with approx 28km range left. Last couple of weeks I am finding range is down to 20/21 km when i arrive.

I know we had warmer weather end Jan, but does it really cause this much fluctuation in range?

anybody else have any experiences to share?

The weather....I done a long journey on Saturday. Drove at 110km the whole way and got to location with 30km remaining.....plugged in and filled her up

On way back a few hours later, drove at 100km the whole way, got back with maybe 5km left. It was warm in the morning.....that evening it was bloody freezing and also I was driving into the wind

KCross wrote: »
    Temperature and water on the road are two big variables for range on any car but magnified in an EV/PHEV.

You will get large variations as a result so I'd say it is expected.

Yesterday, with all the rain, would have been terrible for you.
    For the rest of the week with much warmer temps (upto 20C... yippee!) and dry roads you should be back up to 28 again.... come back to us in a few days and you will have your own answer! :)

It's also possible you are wearing heavier shoes! ;)

Yeah I’ll look at it over the next week & report back.

so i've kept an eye on this over the last week or so. Seems to be that its more related to speed than weather.

For example, starting at 58km range -travelling 33km same journey i've noticed one day ending range of 20 km (10c weather) - Journey time 35 mins

another day ending range of 28km (13c weather) -journey time of 52 mins.

Longer journey time was more stop start, so i guess more regen. Shorter journey was more at 80/100km speed for most of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is this car big enough for 3 kids: age 9, 13, 15. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Is this car big enough for 3 kids: age 9, 13, 15. Thanks.

Yes.
    3 adults, not so much, but few cars can comfortably take 3 adults in the back anyway.

Best thing to do is go to nearest Kia dealer and put the whole family into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

All in all wrote: »
    Hi all, some great reading in the threads here.
    I am considering making the change to fully electric or phev. My work commute is 50 km each way and have access to a charger in public car park at work, however one day each week I travel approx 270-300 km. I haven’t researched charging spots on this route.

The niro phev has caught my eye and I was looking at 6-12 month old ones in the U.K. for £21-22k, from the best I can look up online there would be relief of €2250 on the vrt? Does anyone know if this is correct, would I be eligible for any seai grants?.

Optima is worth looking at too

More powerful, bigger and a bit cheaper

Guy working with me got a 1 year old all in for under 25k

vrt was 1.4k

He gets about 30-40km electric range

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903055558210?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2018&postcode=m52ty&model=OPTIMA&page=1&make=KIA&fuel-type=Hybrid%20–%20Petrol%2FElectric%20Plug-in&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭G-spec

So I took the plunge and ordered a Niro PHEV, hoping to take delivery next week. I've also applied for the home charger grant at the weekend. Am I right in thinking I need a type 2 charger? I want to future proof the charger install and get a 32A charger which I presume will be OK for the PHEV. We have an electric shower so need a charger with load sensing ability - has anyone got a Garro installed with the load sensing add on? The new Zappi seems quite expensive so would rather go for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

So I'm thinking about buying Kia Niro PHEV, but have few questions for the owners:
    - I'm driving 90km per day (to and from work) - there's public charger at work, and usually there's at least 1 space free. I guess that means that I could do all my trip on EV (with petrol engine kicking in only occasionally) - am I correct?
    - what kind of charger comes with Niro PHEV? Does it come with the granny cable or do I need to install charger at home to be able to charge it?
    - what is the fuel consumption at the highway speeds in Hybrid mode? If I'm driving from Waterford to Dublin - how much more-less it would cost me if I drive within speed limits?
    - as there's no quick charge I imagine it's not nice to use public quick chargers and lock them from BEV owners. are there public chargers that are ok to use with PHEV?
    - what's the policy for parking in the cities with PHEV? Is the parking free as for BEVs or do PHEVs are treated differently?
    - how much is the service cost for Niro PHEV?
    - Kia warranty is 7 years, does it cover battery as well? are there limits at which battery will be replaced under warranty (like 70% within warranty for Leaf)?
    - do dealers tend to offer discounts if I go to them with cash?
    - did anyone traded-in their old car for Niro PHEV? If yes, what kind of discount did you get?
    Thanks for any help.

jontr wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about buying Kia Niro PHEV, but have few questions for the owners:
    - I'm driving 90km per day (to and from work) - there's public charger at work, and usually there's at least 1 space free. I guess that means that I could do all my trip on EV (with petrol engine kicking in only occasionally) - am I correct?

Just about and maybe not in winter and it really depends on the roads you are travelling and what speed you are driving.... if you cant get quite 100% EV driving it wont be far off... certainly 80%+
    - what kind of charger comes with Niro PHEV? Does it come with the granny cable or do I need to install charger at home to be able to charge it?

It will definitely have the type 2-type 2 cable.
    They did come with a granny cable but I think some people have been saying that Kia have stopped supplying the granny cable now.

You should get a home charge point regardless of what cable comes with the car.

- what is the fuel consumption at the highway speeds in Hybrid mode? If I'm driving from Waterford to Dublin - how much more-less it would cost me if I drive within speed limits?

I've driven a few and did extended test drives and have also done a Cork-Dublin-Cork in the one day in it with no charging in Dublin so leaving Cork on a full charge, drove at 125km/h (indicated), parked up in Dublin and drive home on an empty battery so all petrol driving on the way home.

It did 4.9l/100km on the way up and 5.4l/100km on the way home.
    So, it is decent enough in hybrid mode even at full motorway speed.

- as there's no quick charge I imagine it's not nice to use public quick chargers and lock them from BEV owners. are there public chargers that are ok to use with PHEV?

The Niro PHEV can use the slow public AC chargers. Look at the eCars map... the green icons are the ones you can use.
    - what's the policy for parking in the cities with PHEV? Is the parking free as for BEVs or do PHEVs are treated differently?

Each council makes their own rules/decisions on that. You'd have to ask your local one.
    - how much is the service cost for Niro PHEV?

That will be a question for the sales man. Try to get some thrown in if you are buying new. Kia have a service plan that might be worth considering.
    - Kia warranty is 7 years, does it cover battery as well? are there limits at which battery will be replaced under warranty (like 70% within warranty for Leaf)?

Yes, covers battery as well. I think 70% is the figure for the Niro PHEV as well.

- do dealers tend to offer discounts if I go to them with cash?

Yup, once I told them I was a cash buyer they knocked, I think, €1500 off the quote straight away. Its down to the dealer though whether they are willing to sacrifice some margin to gain a customer.

- did anyone traded-in their old car for Niro PHEV? If yes, what kind of discount did you get?

Not sure what use that question is really. Every dealer and every car you trade in will be different. If you have a trade-in you will get different price for that same car from all of them. You just have to ring around. Ideally sell your car privately and then email them all saying you are a cash buyer ready to put down a deposit.... that will peak their interest straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So 5.4l/100km on petrol driven at the speed limit (not indicated, but real speed), on a trip that is mostly 120km/h speed limit

That is very impressive. A similar diesel mid size cross over car wouldn't have done any better.

They did come with a granny cable but I think some people have been saying that Kia have stopped supplying the granny cable now.

You should get a home charge point regardless of what cable comes with the car.

Yeah, I'm getting home charger, was thinking about granny cable when visiting friends or going for longer trips.
    Cork-Dublin-Cork

That's actually very good, wasn't expect that to be honest. My Mondeo in diesel does same trip with 6l/100km
    The Niro PHEV can use the slow public AC chargers. Look at the eCars map... the green icons are the ones you can use.

Thanks
    Not sure what use that question is really. Every dealer and every car you trade in will be different.

It's just my missis car is starting to show its age and selling it might be difficult. Was thinking about some kind of scrappage deal like.

Thanks for all the info.

I need to vent off my frustration.

Why does Niro PHEV lack of quick charging? Wouldn't it be great if it could be charged using quick charger in 10-15 minutes? That would make this car almost perfection. But no, at the fastest charge rate it will charge in 3 hours. Because.

Unless there's some reason behind it that I don't get. The battery is like 1/4 of e-Niro, and e-Niro can charge up to 80% in 20 minutes or so?

I'm pretty sure it's Excel-based decision. Some blokes in suits calculated that if there was a quick charge on PHEV, the e-Niro wouldn't sell as good or some other corpo-reasoning like that.

I need to vent off my frustration.

Why does Niro PHEV lack of quick charging? Wouldn't it be great if it could be charged using quick charger in 10-15 minutes? That would make this car almost perfection. But no, at the fastest charge rate it will charge in 3 hours. Because.

Unless there's some reason behind it that I don't get. The battery is like 1/4 of e-Niro, and e-Niro can charge up to 80% in 20 minutes or so?

I'm pretty sure it's Excel-based decision. Some blokes in suits calculated that if there was a quick charge on PHEV, the e-Niro wouldn't sell as good or some other corpo-reasoning like that.

Thats normal for PHEV's. Its not a Niro thing.
    They typically dont charge at high rates as they have small batteries (9kWh vs 64kWh). The majority only charge on AC, not DC(where higher rates are possible).

I know, but still don't get it why. This is plain stupid design - unless there's some technicality behind that that prevents those batteries to be charged at higher rates.

• Advertisement

I know, but still don't get it why. This is plain stupid design - unless there's some technicality behind that that prevents those batteries to be charged at higher rates.

Yes, thats it. The larger the battery the higher current it can take.

The 64kWh Niro can take 70-80kW charge rate. If you tried to push that into a 9kWh battery it would probably melt!

AC charging is also typically limited to 7kW and in PHEV's most of them are only half that.... the Niro PHEV is 3.6kW charge rate.

Its normal and done to protect the battery and its lifespan.

Mitsubishi Outlander is the only PHEV that can "fast charge" iirc. It can charge at up to about 15kW on CHAdeMO DC fast charger. Which really is more like slow charging than fast charging imho.

unkel wrote: »
    Mitsubishi Outlander is the only PHEV that can "fast charge" iirc. It can charge at up to about 15kW on CHAdeMO DC fast charger. Which really is more like slow charging than fast charging imho.

I think thats the only one too at the moment, but Merc are adding 22kW DC to their upcoming PHEV's
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111017528&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

BMW rex, more of a BEV than a phev,

I find the ability to rapid charge handy, Sunday I pulled up to a rapid, 151 leaf at 88% drawing 5,5kw, I plugged in got to 81% in 21 minutes drawing nearly 18 kw, was down to 15 kw at the end.

plugged in to 2 street chargers about 20 minutes each.

Done around 110 kms and petrol usage was at 12 %

kanuseeme wrote: »

No it isn't :p

It has a petrol engine, a tail pipe and it produces emissions. Just like every other PHEV.

kanuseeme wrote: »

I find the ability to rapid charge handy, Sunday I pulled up to a rapid, 151 leaf at 88% drawing 5,5kw, I plugged in got to 81% in 21 minutes drawing nearly 18 kw, was down to 15 kw at the end.

plugged in to 2 street chargers about 20 minutes each.

Done around 110 kms and petrol usage was at 12 %

Have you 22 or 33 Kwh ? I'm pretty sure mine would be pulling , according to the charger, about 35 Kw at 81%.

unkel wrote: »
    No it isn't :p

It has a petrol engine, a tail pipe and it produces emissions. Just like every other PHEV.

No, the i3 Rex is nothing like any other PHEV at all, there is no other PHEV in the world that can go as far as the 22 and 33 Kwh Rex on electric only, so emissions are substantially reduced compared to any other PHEV.

I know you're taking the Mick but there are People out there whom may not realise this.

+ our electricity generation produces emissions so BEV doesn't get out that easy ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Sorry for the confusion,

I have a Mitsubishi outlander.

I was just saying what the outlander charging rates were on a rapid d.c.

I wanted to add that the i3 rex was also capable of rapid charging, of which I have no idea of engine size or charging ability.

I3 33 Kwh according to the charger pulls about 55-58 Kw max up to about 85% then it ramps down to about 25 Kw by around 95% at

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Here's a good link from Fastned showing the charging curve. The I3 will not charge above 50kW. But it does stay their until 85%.

https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/articles/204784718-Charging-with-a-BMW

The reading on the side of the eCars charger is just energy is going in to the charger. Some people interpreted it as the car charger at a higher rate when its warmer, Instead it was just a charger using lots of energy keeping itself cool.

Advertisement