Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I have a bit of an issue with my TurboGrafx-16 emulator on RetroArch (specifically Beetle PCE Fast)

Every time I turn on "6-button mode" it also seems to think I'm pressing the "turbo" button as well, and as a result, the character I'm controlling won't stop crouching, or moving to the left etc.
    I heard that some games don't support 6-button mode, but I know for a fact 'Rondo of Blood' does, and having it stuck in 2-button mode really limits me........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

I have a bit of an issue with my TurboGrafx-16 emulator on RetroArch (specifically Beetle PCE Fast)

Every time I turn on "6-button mode" it also seems to think I'm pressing the "turbo" button as well, and as a result, the character I'm controlling won't stop crouching, or moving to the left etc.
    I heard that some games don't support 6-button mode, but I know for a fact 'Rondo of Blood' does, and having it stuck in 2-button mode really limits me........

If you press F1 whilst in-game, can you find "core options", and you'll see the "turbo on-off" toggle switch...

Inviere wrote: »
    If you press F1 whilst in-game, can you find "core options", and you'll see the "turbo on-off" toggle switch...

Didn't work :( All it did was allow me to press a "turbo" button on my gamepad, but it doesn't matter if it's on or off as it still goes ape-shít....

The button I'm trying to press to enable the 6button mode is called "Mode Select"

Didn't work :( All it did was allow me to press a "turbo" button on my gamepad, but it doesn't matter if it's on or off as it still goes ape-shít....

The button I'm trying to press to enable the 6button mode is called "Mode Select"

Anything here - https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/8349/pc-engine-6-button-mode-glitch

That's the very same page I visited when I first noticed the problem lol Nothing there has worked. I don't know if it's my gamepad (Revolution Pro PS4). I'll switch to another controller and see if that does anything

• Advertisement

I am an absolute dope.

Turns out the games I've been trying out actually don't support a 6-button mode which is why it was going haywire (it had nothing to do with the turbo modes -- they actually work fine). And the actions I thought I was limited from using are actually doable using certain button combinations.

And the 6-button supported games are almost all PCE-CD games and there are only a handful.

Okay. I can relax now.

I am an absolute dope.

It mentions this in the 3rd post in that link above :P

It mentions this in the 3rd post in that link above :P

I know, but I got stubborn and convinced myself he was wrong! :pac:

I know, but I got stubborn and convinced myself he was wrong! :pac:

We've all been there. I remember once Ciderman trying to run Sonic & Knuckles on his Famicom....you'd think the fact the cart wouldn't fit would have been enough to convince him something wasn't right...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We've all been there. I remember once Ciderman trying to run Sonic & Knuckles on his Famicom....you'd think the fact the cart wouldn't fit would have been enough to convince him something wasn't right...

:eek:

Ah come on!

I mean there's plenty to abuse me over, no need to start making things up!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Ah come on!

Do you not remember selling the Famicom because you thought it was broke, then bought it back again to just to be sure?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Do you not remember selling the Famicom because you thought it was broke, then bought it back again to just to be sure?

I never did that!

I bought a Famicom from a guy over near Chapelizod and it was AV modded and everything.
    Worked a treat, though he thought it might be faulty.
    I recall I may have had a spare NES or two back in the day, and sold them on, which worked with some TLC.
    That's a long time ago though!

I am prepared to be mistaken however, as my mind is as reliable and slow as a NeoGeo CD!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah come on!

Have you been playing Streets of Rage all these years on a Famicom?

(I can't believe 18 years and 30,000 posts was leading up to a Ciderman Streets of Rage jibe.)

I am prepared to be mistaken however,

Relax old chum, tis but a wind up :p

Whoops :pac:

can-of-worms-saying-cartoon-image_csp18778572.jpg

^^ they look like emulated worms. Nobody here wants them...I can tell by the pixels...

Relax old chum, tis but a wind up :p

No, seriously, I remember shifting on a couple of NES' in the past.... people replaced the connectors and they were good to go.
    But it was ages ago, like there was still a Sega forum back then... that poor poor mod....

^^ they look like emulated worms. Nobody here wants them...I can tell by the pixels...

I say a separate forum for emulated worms, or maybe a sub-forum of the existing worms forum.

Or perhaps just rename it "Worms and Emulated Worms" I mean, what's the worst that could happen??

Trying to get specific PS1 roms to work and....;

J35SvcBl.png
    This =/= RetroArch
    I can only get them to work if it's one .bin/iso file and one .cue sheet
    Multiple bin files? Haven't got a clue how to get them running at all.

Which core are you using? I'd have thought loading the cue file would control everything thereafter?

• Advertisement

Which core are you using? I'd have thought loading the cue file would control everything thereafter?

Sorry I was off trolling England fans the past hour :pac:

I'm using Beetle PSX HW and I actually think I might have fixed it. I used IsoBuster to merge all the multiple track files into one, and it actually made the games run a lot better as well, somehow. Also, the games weren't booting originally because I had renamed all the .bin files and the cue sheet hadn't a clue what it was trying to open

Got a chance to fart around with some shaders this week and after 2 days of chopping and changing, I found a preset one that I really like.

CRT-Royale Kuruzumi
    4RK7NOS.png
    Click Here For Full-Size Image (1920x1080)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

2ndcoming wrote: »
    What's the most painless route to a little portable emulation machine?

I had been considering a 1st gen 3DS XL with R4 card for Nes/Snes/MD emulation, anyone got an opinion on these?

Ideally I'd like to be able to do it without hacking or hardmodding the machine ie still have access to Nintendo shop for 3DS / Virtual console titles and access to online play etc.

I have a gpd xd. It's just a 3ds shaped device that runs android. It's not too bad for on-the-go emulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

I have a gpd xd. It's just a 3ds shaped device that runs android. It's not too bad for on-the-go emulation.

How is the d-pad placement on those? I have a previous console by them (g5a) and the mussy d-pad is a bit of a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I picked up a New 2DS XL off adverts there last week. Grabbed a 64gb SD and hit the eShop for a selection of Nes / SNES classics, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Metroid: Samus Returns and Mario Maker.

Haven't owned a handheld since the GBA and I'm very happy with it so far. Plan on getting one of those R4 3DS cards for the DS / GBA titles that seemingly can't be obtained from Nintendo for some reason...

Given the huge amount of nefarious sources for these titles online you would think Nintendo would be keen to have as many as possible on their eShop / Virtual Console, the selection is surprisingly limited. Plenty to keep me busy for the time being though.

Not emulation, but someone was asking about devices for the GBA ages ago.
    http://www.vetogate.com/upload/photo/parags/196/8/136.jpg?q=0
    Where this links in with emulation, if you own a GB Micro/DS phat/lite you can install a GB/C emulator on this and run your games perfectly on your device, remembering that Nintendo removed GB/C compatibility from the Micro.
    It also does a great job of NES/Famicom emulation too, if you are going to use it on any GBA/DS phat/lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ordered one in the end from their hardkernel.com site. 32 usd plus 16 postage, works out at 42 euro. Could well come back to bite me in bum vat etc but went for it anyway. Reckon my ten year old will get a kick out of it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Ordered one in the end from their hardkernel.com site. 32 usd plus 16 postage, works out at 42 euro. Could well come back to bite me in bum vat etc but went for it anyway. Reckon my ten year old will get a kick out of it.

Keep us posted, am very interested in maybe getting one for myself

Keep us posted, am very interested in maybe getting one for myself

Unfortunately it's going away for Ch****as, but I'll certainly take a few pics if/when it arrives.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it's going away for Ch****as, but I'll certainly take a few pics if/when it arrives.

And apparently some clever soul has already ported a ZX Spectrum (48k only) emulator to it, so if the son isn't impressed, I will be!

Advertisement