Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Digiweb SIRO 1000 mbps €10 pm for two months, then €55pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,170 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Having 4 high bitrate boxes in one household and streaming 40-60GB flawless movies is not even remotely indicative of an average user, to be even vaguely realistic about it.

4K Netflix uses a fraction of that and would be far more representative of a normal user.

You haven't really disputed my comment at all....which was that to say 1TB is only for light streaming is pretty mad.

I stream a lot of 4K netflix, download a lot of video files that would probably average about 8GB per file, as well as the usual browsing/gaming/youtube/whatever as part of a shared 360MB connection, and we're not hitting 1TB a month even factoring in other housemates who also watch Netflix/download.

Never said it was indicative of the average user. I was showing how simple it is to go over a TB without even trying to by downloading huge files on a computer. Streaming uses a lot.

The whole point of gigabit internet is so you can download and upload large amounts of data quicker. If it was for people downloading a 250MB torrent of some TV show it would be pointless. On Virgin's 240MB internet that only takes about a minute as it is. Same story for Netflix 4k. It works perfectly on existing packages available from Eir, Virgin, Magnet and Sky. You don't need gigabit for it.

A 1TB cap is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

My alarm is tied in with my phone line. Do they disconnect the phone line completely when installing siro?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

We have a house of 5 with 2 very light internet users (Facebook, the very occasional Netflix, etc.) and 2 who stream video daily (But never 4K). The other just uses it for gaming. In the past 6 months, we haven't dipped below 1.3TB with the highest being 1.6TB.

Granted it's a big household and all that, but to say that 1TB is fine is a bit of a stretch if a house with 2 moderate internet users is hitting those numbers.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    We have a house of 5 with 2 very light internet users (Facebook, the very occasional Netflix, etc.) and 2 who stream video daily (But never 4K). The other just uses it for gaming. In the past 6 months, we haven't dipped below 1.3TB with the highest being 1.6TB.

Granted it's a big household and all that, but to say that 1TB is fine is a bit of a stretch if a house with 2 moderate internet users is hitting those numbers.

Even if the two 'heavy' users watched 3 hours of HD Netflix every single day, they'd only hit 600GB between them for the month. That's some serious work being put in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Basil3 wrote: »
    Even if the two 'heavy' users watched 3 hours of HD Netflix every single day, they'd only hit 600GB between them for the month. That's some serious work being put in there.

There’s not just Netflix :) YouTube being constantly streamed on consoles or tablets, YouTube Kids on the TV for hours, console and game updates in the GBs, phone and PC updates, online backups for all the phones, tablets and computers, FaceTime calls, countless Snapchat videos and of course IPTV streams which I forgot about. Edit: and it looks like Spotify just on my phone has used 5.3GB in the last 3 days...

Apart from the IPTV it’s safe to say that most families will have most of the above use cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Basil3 wrote: »

3 hours of Netflix is bugger all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Oat23 wrote: »
    It depends on the bitrate of what you're streaming, not just the length of time it's running.

For example my IPTV runs the 1080p channels at 4500kbps. That's 2GB per hour and we have 4 boxes in the house.

The Plex server I use is loaded with blu ray remuxes and 4K remuxes. These are anywhere between 20GB and 60GB per movie but it tends to average around 40GB. 1 remux movie and lets say 5 hours of live tv across the 4 boxes is 50GB in a day or 1TB in 3 weeks.

That's before we even talk about browsing, youtube and all the other stuff that goes on.

1TB just isn't enough now and anyone who thinks it is really doesn't need gigabit internet.

1tb is fine for most people they don't want you basically so that's why it's there

You could destroy the 1tb with 100m broadband in a couple of days, so that makes no difference

just recompress all the remuxes to HEVC and you'll stretch it to the 4weeks no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My alarm is tied in with my phone line. Do they disconnect the phone line completely when installing siro?

You'd be paying for two accounts to maintain the copper line. A Broadband account via SIRO and a POTS account via OpenEir. Wasting €30-40/mo.

You can route your alarm into the Digiweb modem and it'll work the same way except it won't be able to override an off the hook/in use phone.

3 hours of Netflix is bugger all.

On top of having a job/life/family/hobbies?

I'm doing something wrong.

Regarding the cap look at the the snow in. Families that were surviving on 300GB limits blew threw 1TB over a 5 day period when everyone was stuck in. Many homes would be fine with the limit 9 months of the year but be crucified when the schools are off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

ED E wrote: »
    Regarding the cap look at the the snow in. Families that were surviving on 300GB limits blew threw 1TB over a 5 day period when everyone was stuck in. Many homes would be fine with the limit 9 months of the year but be crucified when the schools are off.

It's there to stop people likely Oaty23, from hogging all the burger bytes with his crippling p0rn habit

his 60g bluray remuxes to capture all the detail. Say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 15,170 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's there to stop people likely Oaty23, from hogging all the burger bytes with his crippling p0rn habit

his 60g bluray remuxes to capture all the detail. Say no more

We use around 2TB per month. There's nothing ridiculous about that these days.

I have a camera using around 150GB/month. I am always uploading files overnight for work and all of our media comes via streaming.

And yes. Please say no more as you're clearly a fruitcake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oat23 wrote: »
    The only thing stopping me from swapping Virgin for SIRO is the cap. 1TB on a gigabit connection is absolutely ridiculous. You could use your monthly limit in a few hours if you tried.

For anyone who uses less than 1TB/month though it looks to be a great offer. I've heard positive feedback from my friends & neighbors who switched to SIRO with Vodafone here in Sligo.

This is the only thing preventing me switching. I blow through a huge amount of Data from Steam, online gaming, streaming, work.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Last 31 days: 1.7TB.

Thats a slow month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Seriously that's just nonsense. How does a family who uses on average or 10GB a day suddenly go to 200GB a day because of some snow?

Look at the comreg quarterly report and you will see that average residents use less than 300GB per month.

It certainly something that heavy users need to consider but for 95% of people will be nowhere near the 1TB cap.

As a few have pointed out Nest cameras are the biggest consumer of your cap, I've got 2 and they are uploading around 500GB a month so I'm a bit concerned for the coming year that I will go over the limit but I still think it's unlikely I will and I genuinely feel that these caps will start to increase in the next 12 months also, as data caps will be more what people buy their broadband package on rather than just peak top speed in a similar way to how the mobile networks sell data today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Lent my mobile hotspot to my sister and they used 20 GB in one day and they were complaining it was slow. What would they have downloaded normally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Called VF today and was told it's for new customers only.... I'm on the 300 meg package and wanted to upgrade to 1000meg but was told it would cost 90 per month

Pity they don't look after existing customers too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Air wire are offering it to existing customers

dingding wrote: »
    Lent my mobile hotspot to my sister and they used 20 GB in one day and they were complaining it was slow. What would they have downloaded normally

Windows 10 Updates

NoDrama wrote: »
    Windows 10 Updates

XBox games, 3 watching Netflix simultaneously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

dingding wrote: »
    XBox games, 3 watching Netflix simultaneously.

Not enough for xbox One/PS4 game. Maybe xbox360/ps3;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

OT but these home security cameras sound like an awful waste of bandwidth. Surely they could be optimised to only send frame changes? What's the point in constantly uploading HD streams that are never viewed?

air wrote: »
    What's the point in constantly uploading HD streams that are never viewed?

- No need for an on site NVR device
    - Burglars can't destroy the footage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Fair enough, I wouldn't be comfortable with it myself, a huge privacy risk and potentially a security risk if a burglar or similar gains access to your stream. And a waste of bandwidth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

You'd be paying for two accounts to maintain the copper line. A Broadband account via SIRO and a POTS account via OpenEir. Wasting €30-40/mo.

You can route your alarm into the Digiweb modem and it'll work the same way except it won't be able to override an off the hook/in use phone.

pm sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BMacccc

Got the 1000 Meg package with Digiweb, it's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I got Vodafone for free for the first 6 months, then 90 per month for the next 12 for 1000m/bit.

air wrote: »
    OT but these home security cameras sound like an awful waste of bandwidth. Surely they could be optimised to only send frame changes? What's the point in constantly uploading HD streams that are never viewed?

The nest camera stream is analysed and can give alerts recognise familiar faces etc. It needs to stream all the video. It is only a waste of bandwidth if you don’t have an unlimited monthly cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

BMacccc wrote: »
    Got the 1000 Meg package with Digiweb, it's impressive.

I have the Virgin 240Mbps bb and can download a 2.5GB file in 2min. For me there is no benefit to anything faster than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I see this in available in my area and I'd be tempted.. but the 1TB cap would put me off. Like others here, I stream/download 99% of my viewing these days, game a bit, have multiple machines (so game and Win10 updates are a fair bit - even with a WSUS server), and work from home a bit too with calls over Skype/Lync

Where are ye backing up the stuff to though guys? Especially the video files?

Advertisement