Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Digiweb SIRO 1000 mbps €10 pm for two months, then €55pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Any timeframe for SIRO in Mallow? We bought a brand new house in Mallow next to a fibre cabinet and it's looking like they're going to put copper cables into the house, absolute madness in this day and age, I have a mobile so can use VOIP if I want a landline, just give us FTTH ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Dave147 wrote: »
    Any timeframe for SIRO in Mallow? We bought a brand new house in Mallow next to a fibre cabinet and it's looking like they're going to put copper cables into the house, absolute madness in this day and age, I have a mobile so can use VOIP if I want a landline, just give us FTTH ffs.

For SIRO the fibre will come from the ESB. It is a different network to Eir and the traditional landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Dave147 wrote: »

I live in Quatertown Mallow and got an email from siro last week quote " We discussed SIRO broadband back in February, I’ve checked for availability every month & this month there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
    Your property now has a “Planned Date” of 31/8/2018.

This link says it's live in Mallow now

https://www.digiweb.ie/product/electric-broadband-1000/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

Oat23 wrote: »
    The only thing stopping me from swapping Virgin for SIRO is the cap. 1TB on a gigabit connection is absolutely ridiculous. You could use your monthly limit in a few hours if you tried.

For anyone who uses less than 1TB/month though it looks to be a great offer. I've heard positive feedback from my friends & neighbors who switched to SIRO with Vodafone here in Sligo.

Well said Oat23, 1TB is an unacceptable data usage limit on such a high end product. I would also change to Siro if this limit wasn't there. I'll stick with genuinely unlimited Virgin media 360meg even though it is dearer than some of the 1000 meg offers. Pity.

The worst thing is the Vodafone sales rep that called recently when I was in work swore to my wife that it was 'unlimited'. Never mentioned the fair usage policy even though she told him we were heavy users. I promptly forward him the Vodfone 1000 meg T&C's to which he said he had to contact his manager. Hasn't come here since. Very deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Well said Oat23, 1TB is an unacceptable data usage limit on such a high end product. I would also change to Siro if this limit wasn't there. I'll stick with genuinely unlimited Virgin media 360meg even though it is dearer than some of the 1000 meg offers. Pity.

The worst thing is the Vodafone sales rep that called recently when I was in work swore to my wife that it was 'unlimited'. Never mentioned the fair usage policy even though she told him we were heavy users. I promptly forward him the Vodfone 1000 meg T&C's to which he said he had to contact his manager. Hasn't come here since. Very deceptive.

I think there removing the cap on eir for new customers

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

If you go over the 1TB twice in any 90 day period they have the right to cancel the contract, wonder if they ever have.I am with virgin and between upload and down load i use 1,400gb a month, using Iptv and the sons are gaming, so I may be in trouble, I asked in chat and was told unlimited is unlimited , now I see this thread.

meathman0 wrote: »
    If you go over the 1TB twice in any 90 day period they have the right to cancel the contract, wonder if they ever have.I am with virgin and between upload and down load i use 1,400gb a month, using Iptv and the sons are gaming, so I may be in trouble, I asked in chat and was told unlimited is unlimited , now I see this thread.

Ya it is dreadful that the providers are allowed to use the 'unlimited' word in that context. Should be illegal, false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

How do you view usage stats with vodafone re siro data used? I can't see it on my bill at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

I rang Digiweb today to confirm what I was told on online chat with them on Monday, and was told that the 1Tb limit is gone, that Siro have lifted it.

I rang Digiweb today to confirm what I was told on online chat with them on Monday, and was told that the 1Tb limit is gone, that Siro have lifted it.

Can they point us to a link on their site that backs this up? I wouldn't believe a word they tell me on the phone, especially if it is the sales team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It would not be a SIRO restriction in the first place. It is up to each individual retail ISP to decide whether to impose a cap or FUP. Some ISPs have already had unlimited or greater than 1TB caps on SIRO before this apparent announcement.

Good work meathman0 keeping pressure on them.
    I look forward to seeing that change in the T's & C's FUP section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

A 1TB cap on Gigabit fiber is a bit like giving someone a Farrari that can only drive to and from the local shop. It completely defeats the purpose of that kind of speed.

I was getting enthusiastic about SIRO showing up in my area of Cork City but with that level of cap, I wouldn’t be signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Oat23 wrote: »
    The only thing stopping me from swapping Virgin for SIRO is the cap. 1TB on a gigabit connection is absolutely ridiculous. You could use your monthly limit in a few hours if you tried.

For anyone who uses less than 1TB/month though it looks to be a great offer. I've heard positive feedback from my friends & neighbors who switched to SIRO with Vodafone here in Sligo.
    I can vouch for siro, VF fab

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Can they point us to a link on their site that backs this up? I wouldn't believe a word they tell me on the phone, especially if it is the sales team.

Can't stress this enough. I had a dispute with Digiweb about 16months ago with similar issues regarding an 'unlimited' fiber package the sales team sold me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

ED E wrote: »
    Last 31 days: 1.7TB.

Thats a slow month.

780 GB "cool vids" folder :pac:

Any recommendations for best SIRO ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Depends on price and if you need a weird installation request.
    The fritzbox was recommended previously but vodafone have a new box which could be an equal contender.

• Advertisement

Weird household network request or weird installation of Siro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Weird household network request or weird installation of Siro ?

latter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Any recommendations for best SIRO ISP?
    TheDriver wrote: »
    Depends on price and if you need a weird installation request.
    The fritzbox was recommended previously but vodafone have a new box which could be an equal contender.

One of my neighbor's friends is an installer and got him that new VF Gigabox router. He's getting 600 down on wifi with it and overall a much better, more stable experience.

VF haven't been great dealing with some issues he had after getting set up and he relied on his friend to fix them himself on his own time.

Digiweb on the other hand are supposed to be great. They've got an outstanding review score on trustpilot which no other ISP in the country can match.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/digiweb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

toby2111 wrote: »
    Is 1TB low for an average user?On a gigabit connection,is data used up more quickly?

no

data is served quicker

but a 4GB movie is still a 4GB movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

It's funny how many people think 1TB is good enough, but at the same time an EV car with 200km autonomy "just doesn't feel right" :)

Just checked and both vodafone and digiweb still explicitly state 1Tb allowance on their website as fair usage limits. Won't be going near either until they remove this or substantially increase it. That said, I've been doing 2Tb with vodafone for the last number of months on the regular 100mbps fibre service without issue.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed.html

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Just checked and both vodafone and digiweb still explicitly state 1Tb allowance on their website as fair usage limits. Won't be going near either until they remove this or substantially increase it. That said, I've been doing 2Tb with vodafone for the last number of months on the regular 100mbps fibre service without issue.

Checkout Airwire - they have no cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Peppa Cig wrote: »

Checkout Airwire - they have no cap.

And don't forget Westnet (not sure if they just cover Mayo but I see no reason why they shouldn't be available nationwide) as far as I know their packages are unlimited and you can get 1 gigabit for €45 a month for 18 months

Are those 1TB limits actually enforced though or are they just one of those 'we reserve the rights to throttle people who utterly take the mick and use the system to run a data centre' ?

Has anyone breeched them and if so were you charged or throttled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This deal is not available in my area yet, so I haven't been able to get it.

So.. I don't know if this is of use to people who have it.

The BoxToGo (Pro) app is on sale for €2.49 at the minute
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.almisoft.boxtogofull

Advertisement