Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power output of Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - VRT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Thinking along similar lines re kids, buggies and potholes. The Outlander makes the most sense. I would love to go full electric but i think it needs 2-3 more years for dome nice cars to come along and the price to drop.

The merc was pure electric, it does 120 miles on a full charge but has no 30 min fast charge option. So if you need to charge mid journey it's a 4-6 hour wait. Very impracticable but it is the nicest pure electric ive seen. Really top class. Apparently they used Tesla parts so lost a fortune on it, barely advertised it, and have even stopped production.

The BMW i3 rex has a tiny petrol motor that charges the battery but is technically a hybrid so doesn't get the free VRT bonus.

Since I got it I have the ESB charging points app (crap) and you start paying attention where you can charge and there are too many points out of action and my life is stressful enough to be stranded in Blanch with kids to figure out a way to come back. As much as Id love to have the full EV we are not ready - unless - again, you can afford Model X as this is the only one that offers space and has the range of a normal car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Have decided on the Outlander PHEV, found a GX4Hs, and I'm going over to collect it next weekend and will drive it back. Just had the AA inspection call today and say it all looks good, and the cartel check shows no issues either.

I am buying privately but not from some randomer, it's from within the EV community from someone with an interest in PHEV/EVs, not a rep who was a getting a cheap company car. He has gone fully EV now but used it as a stepping stone.

I just couldn't risk going full EV right now, that lack of a charging infrastructure and the impending collapse of the current used market when the new 200+ mile ranged cars come through to the used market from next year on put me off. I do hope to go full EV in 2-3 years but for now this is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

the impending collapse of the current used market when the new 200+ mile ranged cars come through

That's not going to happen. If anything most current EVs will keep their value incredibly well. There just isn't enough supply of EVs and demand is starting to jump up.

We've already seen that EVs are actually gaining value, even in the UK

Linky

Best of luck with your new motor though and safe trip back home!

Interest in EV's is rising now that's what is driving demand/prices up. But the tech is making a big leap right now. Batteries are getting smaller, giving more range and getting faster at charging but most importantly there is much more choice coming out.

Right now if you want an EV you are realistically looking at the leaf or a Zoe which makes up the bulk of the 3 year old used market with some i3's. I know I spent the last few weeks looking for one.

I'm talking about 2-4 years down the line. If the number one reason right now for people not jumping to a full EV is lack of range. Fast forward to 2022 when that's not an issue.

When those buyers are looking at a 2-4-year-old used EV. If the choice is between a 2017 Leaf/Zoe/i3 that can do 80-100 miles, or a 2019 leaf2/Skoda/Audi/BMW/Tesla M3/VW/Hyundai etc etc. that can do 200-300 miles.

That range difference and choice of manufacture will seriously impact the value of the 2017 models.

It's like the 2008 road tax. If you have car registered in June 2008 it is worth far less than one registered in August 2008. The 300 mile range is just as significant a leap for EVs.

Of course all that is based on zero research just a gut feeling :)

Interest in EV's is rising now that's what is driving demand/prices up. But the tech is making a big leap right now. Batteries are getting smaller, giving more range and getting faster at charging but most importantly there is much more choice coming out.

Right now if you want an EV you are realistically looking at the leaf or a Zoe which makes up the bulk of the 3 year old used market with some i3's. I know I spent the last few weeks looking for one.

I'm talking about 2-4 years down the line. If the number one reason right now for people not jumping to a full EV is lack of range. Fast forward to 2022 when that's not an issue.

When those buyers are looking at a 2-4-year-old used EV. If the choice is between a 2017 Leaf/Zoe/i3 that can do 80-100 miles, or a 2019 leaf2/Skoda/Audi/BMW/Tesla M3/VW/Hyundai etc etc. that can do 200-300 miles.

That range difference and choice of manufacture will seriously impact the value of the 2017 models.

It's like the 2008 road tax. If you have car registered in June 2008 it is worth far less than one registered in August 2008. The 300 mile range is just as significant a leap for EVs.

Of course all that is based on zero research just a gut feeling :)

I think this could go as far as an educated guess goes. I agree with all of the above - the next 2-3 years will be game changing in terms of getting reliability up and putting out new and untested models out there. I think the PHEV is the best of the both worlds and at the moment the best call ( I have spent months investigating options, changing my mind and a couple of spreadsheets)

I love the new Jag I-Pace though :) - looks better than the Tesla I think

• Advertisement

Picked up my car over the weekend and got it home. Got a 2015 GX4HS with 60K miles. Few manufacturers extras too. Tow bar with power, roof rack, DVD players in the headrest for the kids, front parking sensors. About £2k extra.

Cost £13K, Once I pay the VRT estimated about €1580, Travel, petrol, grub insurance etc. All in it should be €16,700. On Car zone they look to be going for 19-24K so a good few Euro saved.

Made it home after a 900 km road trip. A nice way to get acquainted with a new car. What a nice drive it was though, motorway most of the way. I stuck on the cruise control and the car knew when to slow down and speed up itself :) I don't think I touched a pedal for about 150 miles at one point. Including a section where we slowed to a craw through roadworks.

If I drive the missus' BMW I last about 30 mins without getting crippling back pain. My own Audi I can do 2-3 hours before I get a sore back!, But I did the first leg from 11 am to 3 pm and was a fresh as a daisy.

Spent about €80 on petrol so that wasn't bad. Will see now that I can use the EV mode more, how efficient it is. I have a full tank and full charge this morning and reset all the tracking so it will be interesting to see the numbers in a month's time with my day to day driving.

First-mornings drive to work today. The dash said it was a 96% EV drive. I messed up and didn't hit the Eco Mode, and the kids were watching a Peppa pig DVD! So I'm hoping to get that up closer to 100%. I just about made it into work with the battery power. I was at 1km range on the final stretch. There are a few pesky hills up to my office that caused the engine to kick in and drive some extra juice to the electric motor but otherwise, it was all battery. That is a bit annoying as the trip is 37kms and the EV range should be closer to 50km. But I'm putting that down to the rangefinder being a bit off from being reset/all the unnatural driving it had just done.

Picked up my car over the weekend and got it home. Got a 2015 GX4HS with 60K miles. Few manufacturers extras too. Tow bar with power, roof rack, DVD players in the headrest for the kids, front parking sensors. About £2k extra.

Cost £13K, Once I pay the VRT estimated about €1580, Travel, petrol, grub insurance etc. All in it should be €16,700. On Car zone they look to be going for 19-24K so a good few Euro saved.

Made it home after a 900 km road trip. A nice way to get acquainted with a new car. What a nice drive it was though, motorway most of the way. I stuck on the cruise control and the car knew when to slow down and speed up itself :) I don't think I touched a pedal for about 150 miles at one point. Including a section where we slowed to a craw through roadworks.

If I drive the missus' BMW I last about 30 mins without getting crippling back pain. My own Audi I can do 2-3 hours before I get a sore back!, But I did the first leg from 11 am to 3 pm and was a fresh as a daisy.

Spent about €80 on petrol so that wasn't bad. Will see now that I can use the EV mode more, how efficient it is. I have a full tank and full charge this morning and reset all the tracking so it will be interesting to see the numbers in a month's time.

First-morning drive to work the dash said it was a 96% EV drive. I messed up and didn't hit the Eco Mode, so I'm hoping to get that up closer to 100%.

Nice one - sounds awesome. Enjoy it - I heard the ECO mode does f'all but i still use it.

I got the car charger installed recently so that helps to charge the car - you should probably look at them too - make is so easy to stick to EV mode.

Also if I can recommend: get the PHEV Watchdog app and check the car health etc : you can see the battery condition etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

og2k7 wrote: »
    Nice one - sounds awesome. Enjoy it - I heard the ECO mode does f'all but i still use it.

I got the car charger installed recently so that helps to charge the car - you should probably look at them too - make is so easy to stick to EV mode.

Also if I can recommend: get the PHEV Watchdog app and check the car health etc : you can see the battery condition etc

Which dongle did you buy? So many choices and the PHEV Facebook pages recommend so many different ones.

Yeah, I want to get a charger installed, What one did you go with? Right now I've the cable going out the window :) It charges it in 5 hours while the charger does it in 3 so not a huge difference but it will future proof me as I will go full EV in 3-4 years especially while the grant is there.

Also which dongle for the Watch dog App? I was looking that up too and they have loads listed.

I can't for the life of me, connect the official Android app to my Samsun Galaxy S7. I can connect the phone to the wi-fi, but then when I start the App it asks for the password again, and it just sits spinning for 5 mins then says it can't connect.

I was able to connect to my iphone later so it just seems to be that Android app.

But for all the hassle the App took to install it's kinda useless. The only good thing you can do is turn on the heating or lights from the phone. You can do that with the timer inside the car. So if you always leave at 8am you set the heat to come on at 7.55 and it's nice and toasty getting in without using your battery. So that App feature is only useful when you are not leaving at your normal time and need to defrost the car. But the time it takes to disconnect your phone from the home wi-fi and then connect to the car turn on the heating and then connect it back to your home means it would be faster to just run out to the car and turn it on!

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Which dongle did you buy? So many choices and the PHEV Facebook pages recommend so many different ones.

Got this one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Newest-arrived-orange-and-black-Vgate-iCar2-Bluetooth-OBD-Scanner-iCar-2-elm327-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/32274333836.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.24b44c4dO620wv

Works fine and stays connected at all times. Delivery was fast too: Amazon has them at 2x - only works with Android (PHEV watchdog only works with Android and the guy has no plans to release the iOS version)

tested other ones including ELM327 (dont buy them, BT is super weak)

Also on that note got this (boot liner - really handy): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fit-For-Mitsubishi-Outlander-2013-2017-Rear-Trunk-Liner-Boot-Cargo-Mat-Tray-Floor-Carpet-Mud/1785581652.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.24b44c4dO620wv

and this (guard plate) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-trunk-bumper-trim-rear-guard-plate-modified-protective-strip-For-Mitsubishi-ASX-Outlander-Lancer-Evolution/32802325817.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dq5BX6S

and this (scuff plates - kids kick it at every possible occasion)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Mitsubishi-OUTLANDER-Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-Sticker-Car-Door-Sill-Protector-Scuff-Plate-Car-Accessories/32856866539.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dq5BX6S

All on the cheap and surprisingly high quality

• Advertisement

Yeah, I want to get a charger installed, What one did you go with? Right now I've the cable going out the window :) It charges it in 5 hours while the charger does it in 3 so not a huge difference but it will future proof me as I will go full EV in 3-4 years especially while the grant is there.

Also which dongle for the Watch dog App? I was looking that up too and they have loads listed.

I can't for the life of me, connect the official Android app to my Samsun Galaxy S7. I can connect the phone to the wi-fi, but then when I start the App it asks for the password again, and it just sits spinning for 5 mins then says it can't connect.

I was able to connect to my iphone later so it just seems to be that Android app.

Got the GARO one - 32A so charges in 3 hours (i know not a masisve difference between 5 and 3) but it does add up. Have contact details for a really good guy, so PM if interested.

Until last week had the cable sticking out of the window but its getting chilly and my missus was giving out about the draft so about time we got it done

Nice list, all things I was just looking up this morning! Especially the rubber boot bit as I've dogs, I'll also need the cage. Which will also help stop the luggage flying into the front in a crash!

If I've to tell the kicks to stop kicking my new car, I've already threatened them with taking away the peppa DVD :)

First 100 km done. Petrol used 0.3L. :D
    Two charges at home. That cost roughly €2.50. So about €3 for 100km.

My Audi was doing 6.8L of Deisel/100km. About €9.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Hi guys, researching the outlander PHEV at the moment. Also looking at golf gte and a3 etron. I'm presuming that others here faced similar decisions and then went with the outlander. Could anyone offer opinions? Space is obviously the big advantage but no kids yet so not a factor for me. Anything else jump out?

Dmangan wrote: »
    Hi guys, researching the outlander PHEV at the moment. Also looking at golf gte and a3 etron. I'm presuming that others here faced similar decisions and then went with the outlander. Could anyone offer opinions? Space is obviously the big advantage but no kids yet so not a factor for me. Anything else jump out?

Howdy

I have used a spreadsheet to manage this but

I have gone from Subaru XV (boot too small, same road tax (to my current car) and same MPG to
    Niro (boot too small but already a hybrid) to Outlander PHEV (size, combo of plug in and petrol)

The size was the biggest factor but Road Tax and Insurance played a part, plus obviously charging with a cable

Have you looked at Renault Zoe? I drive mostly in Dublin so use only EV mode but with the current infrastructure I couldnt commit to only EV only (plus the size, we need a big car, so Model X would be the option) - but the budget is not there :)

I think in the end you have to ask yourself questions like:
    Where do I drive mostly?
    Whats the daily mileage?
    Do i need the size?
    Can I charge at work/home/en route

and then go from there

Hope this helps

On a separate note, applied to have the NCT pushed to match the MOT date and got the disc today

You might complain about EU but things like this are amazing

For all the imports out there its worth applying

Yeah I went through hell and back looking at the options, might be exaggerating a bit :pac:

I wanted to go full EV but got nervous/put off with the lack of options and the range issues. Getting caught without charge (because a point was broken/taken up with a parker) and screaming kids wasn't an option. I decided to give it 3 years and then I'll dip into a nice 300 mile range EV.

Then I looked at PHEV's. I looked at the A3 as I've had 3 Audis in a row and really like them, but didn't like the design, that and the lack of options to buy. I think I found one for sale in Ireland that was about 10-15K over the Diesel A3 price. I couldn't justify paying 25K on an alright car when my A4 was bigger and nicer (and actually had better range).

The Golf had more buying options, especially when buying in the UK but the price was again on the high side. Closer to 20K than the 15K I had. And I would have less room than I already had in the A4.

The Outlander had a decent price, space and look.

First thoughts the Outlander is bigger/longer than I anticipated and it took a few days to get used to it. But it is simple to drive, park and do 3 point turns. I guess you have to look at your own needs and driving location.

For me with 2 kids (two 1/2 and 10 months), I needed to fit buggies, changing bags, bouncers and an array of other bits and bobs that need to come along for every trip. I needed a big boot, my A4 couldn't fit everything.

I also live about 20 miles into the countryside, I was getting sick of my car getting rattled to death with potholes and wobbly roads. So I wanted something big and sturdy. The Outlander fit the bill. If I lived in a city I might change my mind.

The next factor was I can drive to work on battery, charge and drive home to charge again. I just about make it but I use almost no petrol.

On a separate note, applied to have the NCT pushed to match the MOT date and got the disc today

You might complain about EU but things like this are amazing

For all the imports out there its worth applying

Nice, I just looked this up, I just need my Irish number (have my VRT next Monday) and then I'll send off the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Niro PHEV also worth a look. Not as big as the Outlander but should be bigger than eTron and it is very well kitted out and can do upto 50km on EV.

Not many s/h here though and not a huge pile in the UK either but it only came out in 172 so thats to be expected.

Take a look anyway, it might suit if you are happy with the Kia badge!

Great stuff thanks guys. 172 is too young for me I'm afraid. I'll be looking 161 or older I reckon. Badge wouldn't bother me in the least though. I'm definitely restricting the search to PHEV and would hope to do my 22km commute on full electric. Speeds are low but there is a decent sized hill in the way!

Think I'll have to get out and test drive the lot of them. I'm surprised that there isn't more in the way of online head to head reviews for these options as many people must be in a similar position.

The outlander seems to have a touch more electric range than the gte and a3 but must have poorer fuel efficiency when running the petrol engine being far heavier, less aerodynamic I'm guessing? Anyone have real world mpg figures for long trips at motorway speeds?

For people that plug in every day, do you find this a bit of a pain or am I being a complete princess? Currently charging a 24 kwh leaf every 2nd/3rd day and find that's no bother at all.

• Advertisement

Great stuff thanks guys. 172 is too young for me I'm afraid. I'll be looking 161 or older I reckon. Badge wouldn't bother me in the least though. I'm definitely restricting the search to PHEV and would hope to do my 22km commute on full electric. Speeds are low but there is a decent sized hill in the way!

Think I'll have to get out and test drive the lot of them. I'm surprised that there isn't more in the way of online head to head reviews for these options as many people must be in a similar position.

The outlander seems to have a touch more electric range than the gte and a3 but must have poorer fuel efficiency when running the petrol engine being far heavier, less aerodynamic I'm guessing? Anyone have real world mpg figures for long trips at motorway speeds?

For people that plug in every day, do you find this a bit of a pain or am I being a complete princess? Currently charging a 24 kwh leaf every 2nd/3rd day and find that's no bother at all.

For real world MPG (as in not charging the car at all) - ended up with 40 MPG after driving around Donegal and Sligo (but with 5 passengers + our cat, so fully loaded) so not too bad compared to our previous diesel.

I drove 900+ km home from the UK. The dash said I was using 7.1 litres per 100km. which sounds about right as I topped up half a tank for £31, and then again in Wales I put in 3/4 of a tank for £45.

You get about 40km on a full charge, you can increase that by using it in hybrid mode to top it up with the engine without using much petrol. If you run out of battery the good thing is you can drive on the petrol engine and it will charge up the battery and then you can get another 40kms.

Don't get hung up on long drives. I did the same but when I looked at it 99% of the driving was under 40km. I do an occasional 100km to the parents and maybe once or twice a year to Dublin. So they are the outliers, my main is into work and home again. That's where you save the money.

Thanks for this guys. Good to know. My daily usage is so low I'll be all electric only most of the time anyway. I'm really happy now that phev is the way to go to replace the diesel for the odd long trip. Fully convinced. We'll keep our leaf as a 2nd runabout but I flat out refuse to get involved in the whole public charging setup so a 2nd BEV just won't do it us. Maybe in another 3-4 years when Kona/Niro are good (better) value 2nd hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is VRT the only additional cost on bringing in a 2nd hand car from the UK - no VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

loyatemu wrote: »
    is VRT the only additional cost on bringing in a 2nd hand car from the UK - no VAT?

No VAT if more than 6mths old and more than 6000km on the clock. Fail either of those checks and VAT becomes an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

loyatemu wrote: »

€5000 rebate on VRT on Ev's. If under that amount no VRT.
    As said above no VAT if over 6000km and 6months old.

Any thoughts on driving the Phev's to maximize the life of the battery? I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't fully charge and fully discharge your battery all the time, and fast charging is a no no. I checked my battery and it was down to 89.5%. Two weeks later it is at 89.2%.

I've pretty much let the car decide on the best course of action. But was wondering should I try top it up as I drive with the charge?

I'm only getting 23 of the promised 32 miles in range on a full charge. That's in Eco mode, no AC on, and I drive well under the limit with as much gliding and regening as I can. I know the range is at best a guess, but it seems right on the money. Once I hit the 22-24 mile range I'm onto petrol power.

Any thoughts on driving the Phev's to maximize the life of the battery? I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't fully charge and fully discharge your battery all the time, and fast charging is a no no. I checked my battery and it was down to 89.5%. Two weeks later it is at 89.2%.

I've pretty much let the car decide on the best course of action. But was wondering should I try top it up as I drive with the charge?

I'm only getting 23 of the promised 32 miles in range on a full charge. That's in Eco mode, no AC on, and I drive well under the limit with as much gliding and regening as I can. I know the range is at best a guess, but it seems right on the money. Once I hit the 22-24 mile range I'm onto petrol power.

Hey

My 2 cents: (and i like to investigate things, especially gadgets).

I never got more than 26 miles range. Have a feeling i got an extra one here and there, when using the regenerative breaking or not using power at all (downhill)

My set up and MO is always:
    - ECO always on
    - AC always off
    - try not to use breaking to slow down - only the shifters - constantly switch between B1 and B5.
    - B0 when I can see a slight slope and going downhill, so 1 mile extra with no power used
    - m50, m1 etc - use the SAVE mode and when hit the 50-60 roads, switch to EV only, anything over 60km/h is SAVE mode
    - never use charge mode

I have used the CHADEMO and stopped as the one next to us was out of order. Using the home charger now only. I think someone posted that the CHADEMO decreases the battery by 0.1% (or maybe 1%) annually so nothing to worry about. Also I think you battery dropped as probably the other owner used the battery less than you so its getting more use now (thats how I explain it to myself anyways). The reason it stops at 80% is to protect the battery

Read somewhere that they recommend to use normal charging regularly and then Chademo once or twice a week

Using the charge mode is not efficient from what I read (as you use the petrol to power the car but also charge the battery)

As for depleting the battery apparently it is not that great but at the same time, you wont be stopping to charge if its low - have a feeling Mitsu engineers thought about that one

I watch a channel on Youtube Unplugged EV

But he was always driving on full EV in and out to work, and lost over 20% battery capacity. His viewers kept saying to drive it like a Hybrid not an EV. So his latest video he is going to spend the next few weeks testing that new theory. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

This is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rnl3y9wxvo)

• Advertisement

This video shows the difference between leaving the car in D (defaults to B2 breaking). Or using B0 and coasting. Pretty remarkable, he get a 25% increase in range, 48km V 63km (It's the 2016 version with a little bigger battery)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6dZiAeb5w0

I drove with save mode home last night and back to work today (38km each way). One full charge lasted both directions with lots of EV + engine driving and charging going on, I didn't charge last night at all.

Looking at the Watchdog App, I averaged around 100km/g. Used 2.5 liters of petrol (€3.63) and one full charge (€1.35). Rounding to 75km for €5.

If I used pure EV it would have been €2.70. (Really €1.35 as I get one charge in work for free).

It is hard to justify not using EV all the time with that difference. Over the year that is €975 cheaper. There is a small section of dual carriageway that might benefit from Save mode but most of my drive is on small country roads where you would do well to get anywhere near 100km/h.

Advertisement