Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power output of Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - VRT

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Just a quick update, I also appealed my VRT amount and received a letter in the post today that i would be refunded €637. I didn't need to take it to step 2 so possibly Revenue have agreed there is an error in the OMSP listed.

Thanks to Quenching for his guidance and assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Just a quick update, I also appealed my VRT amount and received a letter in the post today that i would be refunded €637. I didn't need to take it to step 2 so possibly Revenue have agreed there is an error in the OMSP listed.

How much did you pay? Mine was €1509 on a 2015 GX4HS. The omsp they quoted was 23k which is about right. But if there is some money to be claimed i might chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

How much did you pay? Mine was €1509 on a 2015 GX4HS. The omsp they quoted was 23k which is about right. But if there is some money to be claimed i might chance it.

23k sounds low like it's been amended already. When did you pay?
    Don't have exact figs to hand but I think unpaid €1850

23k sounds low like it's been amended already. When did you pay?
    Don't have exact figs to hand but I think unpaid €1850

Just last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Delighted to hear that, and the fact that you didn’t have to go through the second step of the Tax Appeals Commissioner is terrific. That was by far the hardest part for me.

However, I’ve just checked the VRT I’d be charged now and 3 months later it’s STILL the incorrect higher amount. That’s shameful, we should be able to trust Revenue that they charge the correct amount, particularly when they’ve accepted, more than once now, that they are overcharging on these vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Test drove one today. Nice car with a big boot.
    I'd there anything that I should be watching for ?

Might be the best bet for the family as the wife isn't overly convinced on the full electric car yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

CptMackey wrote: »

Might be the best bet for the family as the wife isn't overly convinced on the full electric car yet.

Test drove one myself on saturday, also liked it.
    Was it in limerick by any chance?

phill106 wrote: »
    Test drove one myself on saturday, also liked it.
    Was it in limerick by any chance?

Down in cork. Bigger inside than I imagined

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

What year are you getting?

There are recalls for the calipers and then a fresh recall from last week so definitely something to check but not showstoppers

If you are buying a used one would definitely get the OBD reader, check the battery condition there (PHEV Watchdog app - only Android phone) - and the OBD dongle

Cant blame your missus: same reason we chose it - infrastructure is crap to commit to a full EV plus no big cars with better range (except for Model X). We need a big car for the 5 of us, so not too many cars that tick all the boxes. Some EV owners call PHEVs a way to get around paying lower taxes etc - but its been 2.5 months since i last been to the petrol station and use EV only (based in Dublin) so I am using it as a pure EV - but with the backup of the petrol in case the charging station is not available.

Hope this helps

The PHEV is a great stepping stone to EVs for the moment. I really wanted to get a full EV, but as og mentions the range & infrastructure isn't there yet for my needs.

My weekly commute is covered with battery only driving as I can charge in work to get home again. My first 1000km had only used about €10 worth of petrol was used. But I do seem to be constantly plugging in. Not an issue but noticeable.

I did have a bad weekend, had to drive right across town. A 1 hour 40 min drive, and same back. That used a lot, then the very next morning I had to do an Airport run. Those two drives emptied the tank. It really eats the fuel on ICE driving.

But that was a weird weekend at not the norm. Over the year it will even out.

I'd advise tracking your driving for a week or two. See how many sub 40 km runs you do between charges.

• Advertisement

The PHEV is a great stepping stone to EVs for the moment. I really wanted to get a full EV, but as og mentions the range & infrastructure isn't there yet for my needs.

My weekly commute is covered with battery only driving as I can charge in work to get home again. My first 1000km had only used about €10 worth of petrol was used. But I do seem to be constantly plugging in. Not an issue but noticeable.

I did have a bad weekend, had to drive right across town. A 1 hour 40 min drive, and same back. That used a lot, then the very next morning I had to do an Airport run. Those two drives emptied the tank. It really eats the fuel on ICE driving.

But that was a weird weekend at not the norm. Over the year it will even out.

I'd advise tracking your driving for a week or two. See how many sub 40 km runs you do between charges.

Exactly that - this car is perfect for the city and for occasional long(er) drives but not long daily commutes. One thing i realized (and you never think about it I think) is that going to IKEA, a shop, back, piano lessons with kids and you just did 30km without even realising.

I do charge at home but you would be using the petrol instead so still works out cheaper (and cleaner).

When I drove to Donegal and had 5 days of no charging whatsoever I got ±39MPG which i think is good (5 adults and a fully loaded boot)

og2k7 wrote: »
    What year are you getting?

There are recalls for the calipers and then a fresh recall from last week so definitely something to check but not showstoppers

If you are buying a used one would definitely get the OBD reader, check the battery condition there (PHEV Watchdog app - only Android phone) - and the OBD dongle

Cant blame your missus: same reason we chose it - infrastructure is crap to commit to a full EV plus no big cars with better range (except for Model X). We need a big car for the 5 of us, so not too many cars that tick all the boxes. Some EV owners call PHEVs a way to get around paying lower taxes etc - but its been 2.5 months since i last been to the petrol station and use EV only (based in Dublin) so I am using it as a pure EV - but with the backup of the petrol in case the charging station is not available.

Hope this helps

Looking at a 2015. Gx4h I think. Would def get the home charger. I'd say most of the trips would be sub 40k. Will have to keep an eye over the next 2 2weeks or so.

Must check the brakes and see if the dealer is sorting the recalls

Would a dealer have an issue with me using an obd reader and app to check the battery?

If they have nothing to hide nope. Normal enough part of an inspection id say.

Would a dealer have an issue with me using an obd reader and app to check the battery?

Exactly this: standard inspection so nothing out of ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hey guys, I've agreed to buy a GX4H locally subject to inspection so am going to use PHEV watchdog, just wondering what are some of the key things I should be looking for in the app?

b.gud wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've agreed to buy a GX4H locally subject to inspection so am going to use PHEV watchdog, just wondering what are some of the key things I should be looking for in the app?

Battery overall health - my 2015 model is 87% for reference, so you can calculate the capacity easily. When you look at the number of leafs in the displays you will see the "global" driving trend so to more leafs the more the previous owner was using the battery: mine was on 2 if I remember correctly so not that eco-friendly (so battery didnt get much use)

Also verify the mileage etc - the usual stuff

Have a look at any error messages - should be displayed there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

og2k7 wrote: »
    Battery overall health - my 2015 model is 87% for reference, so you can calculate the capacity easily. When you look at the number of leafs in the displays you will see the "global" driving trend so to more leafs the more the previous owner was using the battery: mine was on 2 if I remember correctly so not that eco-friendly (so battery didnt get much use)

Also verify the mileage etc - the usual stuff

Have a look at any error messages - should be displayed there too.

Brilliant thanks for the info

Use the in-car screen to check some of the histories, if it hasn't been reset. Click Settings and look at charge cost, it will show how often it was charged. Click info and trip and you can see some data on driving style.

Was it imported from the UK? If it was, get the UK Reg and look up the MOT history, it's free and gives you an idea of any issues that were fixed, any advisories and any recalls plus recorded mileage. https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Do get a car check done, lots of UK cars can be written off by insurance companies do to cost to fix not structural damage and put back on the road (safely and legally in the UK) but Irish insurance companies won't insure you here.

But otherwise it will be normal stuff. Make sure it charges, have them plug it in. Check the body work, check the add ons are all working. Reverse camera, boot opening etc. Use the Dog to check the battery condition (make sure you have the blue tooth dongle for the Dog app to work, you can't connect to the car otherwise).

If you buy it, make sure they disconnect all connected phones and you get the passwords for the blue tooth and wi-fi (even though the wi-fi is hopelessly bad). You literally have to stand within 6 feet of the car, disconnect from your home wi-fi, connect to the car wi-fi, open the app, wait for it to load, click to turn on the heating, wait for it to load. Disconnect from the car wi-fi, reconnect to your home (otherwise you can't use the internet on your phone). At which point it is easier to just hop into the car and turn on the heating.

Had to get some petrol for the first time since 8/8 - 950 miles, worked out at 126 mpg - so not too bad (and only because we did half a tank driving back from Donegal on the 9/8 - so had a half a tank since then and used it all up

Think thats good going - heres to another 3 months lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

My 142 outlander 3xgh vrt was €466 today. Bit of a saving going for a 2014. Came out as 160bhp as per op's original homework. Thanks for the info on this thread.

Super car, I'm delighted with it. The chap doing the vrt was surprised how cheap the vrt was.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kevin Forde

VRT-ed my new 152 Outlander GX4H this morning - €918, quite a bit less than Revenue’s online calculator had suggested (€1,155). Its the 2016 model year version and VRT based on a power output of 200bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Most people charging at home, have you changed to night saver elec?

bidiots wrote: »
    Most people charging at home, have you changed to night saver elec?

Nope. Doesn't calculate: most of the stuff happens during the day so the change would work out more expensive in our case. You might want to do your own calculations and see if this makes more sense

Standing charge is about 50 Euro's more for Night rate meter ? how dies that not add up ?

Surely you can have some things come on at night ? dishwasher , immersion in Summer, Washing machine etc ?

About 60% of our electricity the last nearly 2 years is used at night and probably more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Few Qs that you may have the answer ready,please:

Whats the battery capacity on these babies ?
    All models have petrol engine or i can find one on diesel ?
    Someone mentioned that there is an upgrade from 2016,is that a higher specs or different model all together.
    Can you afford to go from fully charged to full discharged on the battery during a single trip ?

I'm seing on UK site that there are GX3,GX4,GX5 ... with and without the S and H...Any ideea what does that means.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Someone mentioned that there is an upgrade from 2016,is that a higher specs or different model all together.
    Can you afford to go from fully charged to full discharged on the battery during a single trip ?

I'm seing on UK site that there are GX3,GX4,GX5 ... with and without the S and H...Any ideea what does that means.

Many thanks.

Answers to all these questions, and many more, to be found here:
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mitsubishi/outlander-phev-2014/

I regularly “empty” the battery, it’s what the car is designed to do. My local Mitsubishi dealer has serviced my UK import and replaced a shock absorber under the European warranty. They’ve been a pleasure to deal with, way better than any other main dealer I’ve dealt with.

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks.

Ill try cover a few.
    2016 got a makeover, new lights and front and a bump in battery capacity by about 20% i think, nothing major. But generally inside is the same.
    The are models are all GX3,4 or 5H. The S in each is a step up.

So GX3HS is better than GX3H, but lower than GX4H in terms of spec. The spec differences are not a huge change. Stuff like leather seats not cloth, heated seats, reverse camera not beeps, motorised boot.

Only one i like is the camera, and hot seats for the winter. None are essential.

All the PHEVs are petrol. The Diesel has not battery.

You can never fully discharge, it cuts off at 30%. But you can use up all the allotted battery power. I get about 35km on a charge.

The thing that hurts it is you charge a lot. I charge at home then again in work. A normal EV prob charges twice a week, ill do 12+ a week. This runs down the battery. I've lost 5% capacity in 6 months/10k.

But it is cheap to run and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Walter Knight

S stands for safety. "Forward Collision Mitigation technology, standard on the Mitsubishi Outlander 4hs and 5hs versions"... https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mitsubishi/outlander-phev-2014/history/

• Advertisement
Advertisement