Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2018-2019 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

shoutman wrote: »
    Seeing as they only need 20 clubs for this - could it not be a case that the IRFU will just invite other clubs, "less successful" clubs, to get involved with this new league?
    Those clubs that reject the new system will then be reduced to a junior club and forced to fight their way back up to the top table.

Players are going to want to play at the top level, regardless of what the structure is like, I'd think there is very little loyalty from the players to the clubs when it comes to AIL and chasing the dream of getting a provincial contract.

The IRFU can't do the first bit, but they'll get their way through other means eventually.

You're right about the 2nd bit, for the most part. Players and coaches are pragmatic and very often these clubs are not run in their best interests unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

The IRFU can't do the first bit, but they'll get their way through other means eventually.

Why can't the IRFU do the first bit?

Why can't the IRFU do the first bit?

Because the clubs have a fair amount of protection, they can't just wave a magic wand and turn them into junior clubs overnight. They can't even get Railway recognised in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Because the clubs have a fair amount of protection, they can't just wave a magic wand and turn them into junior clubs overnight. They can't even get Railway recognised in Leinster.

All Leinster senior clubs met last night and ALL agreed not to support new IRFU structure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but I genuinely don't understand this, the IRFU control the competition, the IRFU dictate the rules, I don't understand where this protection comes from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but I genuinely don't understand this, the IRFU control the competition, the IRFU dictate the rules, I don't understand where this protection comes from?

The union is formed from the clubs and if neccessary can be run by the clubs all come from a rugby club to the positions except the big boys but they need the board to approve which includes clubs. Clubs have alot of power and have been dormant for a long time I think the mood is changing.

Hearing Tarf doing a solo run much to the annoyance of all other clubs. So much for the communuty club tag they always push hope they see sense and stay united with all of the other clubs, they are in danger of being alienated and having no club to play against. Reports from Leinster meeting was that they were very united in their stance opposing the new system and that the story being told by the IRFU is not the full story. It is all about the professional game and would be a hammer blow to the club game only 2 clubs in the country are for it as far as I have heard all Ulster rejected the proposal as well.

I do think those on here not involved with a club have no idea of the complexitys and difficulties the unions proposal will cause. It will not go thru as they originally envisaged a comprise may be reached but alot of questions to be answered before that. The mood of the clubs is militant at the moment and I personally think it is about time they stood up from themselves.

Improving PR providing, grants for S&C coaching and equipment, Analytical software and equipment, sponsor balls etc would be most welcome from the union. Before a certain someone starts on here the clubs can definetley improve their own PR but Union need to lead it better than they have been doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gilesdebond

100% agreed with everything and in a perfect world the current league structure would remain but the IRFU would provide all the grants too.

I hope the senior clubs do stand up for themselves. Although I hope they take time to actually listen to their players and coaches first, most never do

The best thing that coudl come out of this is a reality check for self-important alicadoos at rugby clubs in Ireland. I don't think that will happen, but we can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    The union is formed from the clubs and if neccessary can be run by the clubs all come from a rugby club to the positions except the big boys but they need the board to approve which includes clubs. Clubs have alot of power and have been dormant for a long time I think the mood is changing.

Hearing Tarf doing a solo run much to the annoyance of all other clubs. So much for the communuty club tag they always push hope they see sense and stay united with all of the other clubs, they are in danger of being alienated and having no club to play against. Reports from Leinster meeting was that they were very united in their stance opposing the new system and that the story being told by the IRFU is not the full story. It is all about the professional game and would be a hammer blow to the club game only 2 clubs in the country are for it as far as I have heard all Ulster rejected the proposal as well.

I do think those on here not involved with a club have no idea of the complexitys and difficulties the unions proposal will cause. It will not go thru as they originally envisaged a comprise may be reached but alot of questions to be answered before that. The mood of the clubs is militant at the moment and I personally think it is about time they stood up from themselves.

Improving PR providing, grants for S&C coaching and equipment, Analytical software and equipment, sponsor balls etc would be most welcome from the union. Before a certain someone starts on here the clubs can definetley improve their own PR but Union need to lead it better than they have been doing it.
    Oh leave it out. Just refer to me by name if you're going to say something about me.
    The union/branches are run by the clubs and yes the clubs have power but what do you want this power to do? What exactly do you want the clubs to be able to more than now? How do you change it?
    What do you want the union to do more on PR? What do you want the Union to do in other areas that theyre not doing already? You are involved in a division 1 club. You have to take into account that there is many senior clubs with nothing like the same challenges your club has
    100% agreed with everything and in a perfect world the current league structure would remain but the IRFU would provide all the grants too.
    Even in a perfect world the current league structure shouldnt remain. There is issues with divisions 2 in parts and that must be taken into account. When you say IRFU provide all the grants too what exactly do you want them to provide all grants for?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gilesdebond

grants for S&C coaching and equipment, Analytical software and equipment. The stuff they are proposing for the 2 divisions of 8 in the new premier format.

If there is an issue with Div 2 now would creating more of a gap help in the long run? Anything below the top 2 leagues would effectively become more of and to use GAA terms intermediate. there would be so much of a gap that clubs would never get to play in the higher divisions. Also, when you factor in 2 year moratorium where there will be no promotion the bigger clubs will get stronger.

• Advertisement

I hope the senior clubs do stand up for themselves. Although I hope they take time to actually listen to their players and coaches first, most never do

The best thing that coudl come out of this is a reality check for self-important alicadoos at rugby clubs in Ireland. I don't think that will happen, but we can dream.

In fairness to most but not all clubs players have a huge say as do the coaches. Players wouldn’t stick around in clubs that don’t look out for them

Connacht senior league fixtures made
    18/8/18
    Ballina v Sligo
    Galwegians v Corinthians
    25/8/18
    Ballina v Buccaneers
    Sligo v Galwegians
    1/9/18
    Buccaneers v Sligo
    Corinthians v Ballina
    8/9/18
    Buccaneers v Galwegians
    Sligo v Corinthians
    15/9/18
    Corinthians v Buccaneers
    Galwegians v Ballina

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bazzmch

I believe Peter Stringer to become player coach with Malahide rfc. I have heard it a few times now. The money they are spending is crazy

grants for S&C coaching and equipment, Analytical software and equipment. The stuff they are proposing for the 2 divisions of 8 in the new premier format.

If there is an issue with Div 2 now would creating more of a gap help in the long run? Anything below the top 2 leagues would effectively become more of and to use GAA terms intermediate. there would be so much of a gap that clubs would never get to play in the higher divisions. Also, when you factor in 2 year moratorium where there will be no promotion the bigger clubs will get stronger.
    How many clubs especially at pointy end of things in AIL would need grants for S&C coaching/equipment? And analytical software and equipment? What would you want?
    And should we really be putting in place essentially as you say an intermediate grade as what benefit does that actually bring to the sport as a whole?
    ArmchairQB wrote: »
    In fairness to most but not all clubs players have a huge say as do the coaches. Players wouldn’t stick around in clubs that don’t look out for them
    Certainly. I know of a few clubs that have already turned down coaches after originally looking at getting them in to coach next season after players en masse said theyd leave if certain coaches were brought in for next season...
    bazzmch wrote: »
    I believe Peter Stringer to become player coach with Malahide rfc. I have heard it a few times now. The money they are spending is crazy
    Mike Ross been with them before. Ridiculous money up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

How many clubs especially at pointy end of things in AIL would need grants for S&C coaching/equipment? And analytical software and equipment? What would you want?
    And should we really be putting in place essentially as you say an intermediate grade as what benefit does that actually bring to the sport as a whole?

Every club could do with grants, no clubs have a huge surplus of cash and any grants would free up money that could be invested elsewhere.

It would be good if there was a deal where the stuff the proviences and Ireland use was also rolled out to the clubs.

He's saying avoid that

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

D14Rugby wrote: »
    no clubs have a huge surplus of cash

Malahide ***cough***cough

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Limerick 37.5

The reality is that some clubs do have huge resources to tap. Who ? I would think Lansdowne for one, Clontarf  I would think is another, Cork Con, always have had it. So there is three clubs that have the resources.
    With regard to the restructuring proposal, my understanding is that Munster clubs voted it down until they have more information. The problem I see is that turkeys wont vote for Christmas and clubs wont vote for regional rugby. The Irfu will push on with the proposal and will push it through, Clubs need to evolve need to be progressive otherwise they will be left behind.

Leinster league groups and fixtures begin september 1st
    Divison 1A
    Trinity, Old Belvedere, Lansdowne, Clontarf
    1B
    St Marys, Naas, Terenure, UCD
    2A
    Old Wesley, Seapoint, Skerries, Greystones
    2B
    Blackrock, Wanderers, Tullamore
    2C
    Malahide, Navan, Barnhall

Leinster league groups and fixtures begin september 1st
    Divison 1A
    Trinity, Old Belvedere, Lansdowne, Clontarf
    1B
    St Marys, Naas, Terenure, UCD
    2A
    Old Wesley, Seapoint, Skerries, Greystones
    2B
    Blackrock, Wanderers, Tullamore
    2C
    Malahide, Navan, Barnhall

Any news on Marys? Aungier has signed for Nure apparently. Is Doris staying? Not that he will be playing much UBL me thinks. Is Marsh playing for Marys? If so is Kearns staying?

Any news on Marys? Aungier has signed for Nure apparently. Is Doris staying? Not that he will be playing much UBL me thinks. Is Marsh playing for Marys? If so is Kearns staying?
    No connections to Marys so dont know.
    Doris will still play a fair bit of AIL. Depending on what A rugby there is.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 14 academyfan0

No connections to Marys so dont know.
    Doris will still play a fair bit of AIL. Depending on what A rugby there is.

No he won't, just look at how much AIL Deegan played last season.

Would tend to agree

irishfan9... i disagree. Do you see Doris going onto play 18 games for Leinster this season or anything near that. ahead of who?

Terenure signing a few props helping with accomadation apparently, Mary’s loosing a good few no idea on Marsh but Doris is staying, I heard Kearns staying as well. If Aungier couldn’t make Mary’s team last year will struggle to add quality to Terenure based on 20s display needs big improvement in scrummaging

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Harryclaim

Will be interesting to see what clubs connacht academy players sign for , a lot of lads after moving from provinces and some exiles too

Harryclaim wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what clubs connacht academy players sign for, a lot of lads after moving from provinces and some exiles too
    Buccs and Galwegians mainly but some may stay with clubs in Dublin or elsewhere

Have said it before but really wish the provinces/IRFU would publish the full list of transfers before the start of the new season. They used to and it was great info

Limerick Charity Cup draw made
    all originally scheduled for August 25th
    Bruff v Old Crescent, Shannon v Garryowen, UL Bohemians v Nenagh, Young Munster v Thomond

Really wish the charity cup was played in group format to give clubs more games before AIL. Move the senior cup and fitzgerald plate to later in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Harryclaim

Buccs and Galwegians mainly but some may stay with clubs in Dublin or elsewhere

Have said it before but really wish the provinces/IRFU would publish the full list of transfers before the start of the new season. They used to and it was great info

Sean masterson has moved from Corinthians to Buccs , a great signing for Buccs.

• Advertisement

Cork Charity Cup/Shield draws made
    Shield: Midleton v Clonmel, Sundays Well v Cashel
    Cup: Cork Con v Highfield, UCC v Dolphin

Advertisement