Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Betty10

jules86 wrote: »
    Last few campaigns had little intake in both Leitrim and Sligo. Make sure you have Longford down

Thanks for that info - will definitely include Longford,

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Samjd

Yes it was an open comp, but many CS are promoted through open competition. The new EO will open toward the end of this year and I would encourage all who went for CO To go for it too

Crunchymomma do you know if the entry requirements for EO comp are now 2years as CO and 3 higher level subjects at LC or 5 higher level subject or Degree etc.? I thought the 2 years CO experience was enough with pass LC but looks like that changed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Another very basic question. Are you kidding yourself entering the civil service as a clerical officer in your mid 30s?

You will never be able to avail of the pension on offer as I heard you need 35 or 40 years of continuous service.

Is this a correct assumption ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Samjd wrote: »
    Crunchymomma do you know if the entry requirements for EO comp are now 2years as CO and 3 higher level subjects at LC or 5 higher level subject or Degree etc.? I thought the 2 years CO experience was enough with pass LC but looks like that changed.....

I can't see any reference to any educational requirements for the interdepartmental stream of 2016 campaign so I think just two years service is sufficient

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Another very basic question. Are you kidding yourself entering the civil service as a clerical officer in your mid 30s?

You will never be able to avail of the pension on offer as I heard you need 35 or 40 years of continuous service.

Most of the people who interviewed with me were in their thirties and forties. I seem to be a real novelty in my area being so young (mid 20s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Anybody know where you get the candidate ID for the application form? I know its probably right in front of me and I'm completely missing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lee085

I can't for the life of me download the application form... Any whizzes out there that could give some help??! Please 🀞

phatkev wrote: »
    Anybody know where you get the candidate ID for the application form? I know its probably right in front of me and I'm completely missing it

It's on your profile on public jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Lee085 wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me download the application form... Any whizzes out there that could give some help??! Please 🀞

Yep it drove me mad too. You have to have a new PDF reader, so firstly I just googled Adobe PDF reader, dowloafed and installed the newest one and then was able to open the form. Its a dynamic PDF form. I thought my Adobe was up to date but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Don't get excited if you get a text to check your Public Jobs messages today - it's just about their data protection obligations (GDPR).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Has anyone a copy of the PDF Application Form. Id like to see whats in it, cant download new PDF reader as its blocked in work.
    Will have to apply on laptop at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Big Vern wrote: »
    Has anyone a copy of the PDF Application Form. Id like to see whats in it, cant download new PDF reader as its blocked in work.
    Will have to apply on laptop at home.
    Its just previous job history and education and a box for extra info. Nothing at all like the HSE competency based form or skills based questions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jackg101

Does anyone know when the online aptitude tests will take place and if anyone can recommend any good websites to practice, that would be greatly appreciated? I've put my 1 down as Cork and my 2 Kildare, how quick do you think these would go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kate2293

Blanco100 wrote: »

40 years for full lump sum pension. You'll still get a significant pension without the 40 years service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Wonder will they try to cut down on people cheating with the online tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

You can cheat all you want in the first test but the second assessment is identical to the first, only supervised, so you'd be caught off fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Best of luck everyone! Just submitted my application. I got into Gisc on the 2016 competition and while I actually like it, I wished I had had more patience and held out for Galway. I was too afraid to miss the boat and so I took the first one I was offered. We'll see how it goes this time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Best of luck everyone! Just submitted my application. I got into Gisc on the 2016 competition and while I actually like it, I wished I had had more patience and held out for Galway. I was too afraid to miss the boat and so I took the first one I was offered. We'll see how it goes this time round!
    What’s Gisc?

fin12 wrote: »
    What’s Gisc?

Garda information service centre. It's in castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Shopassistant

Do you get an email saying your application for the position has been sent? My screen went blank when I submitted my application so I don't know if it went through or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Can I ask why you wish you held out? Just a location preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lisabiscuit

sonas93 wrote: »
    Can I ask why you wish you held out? Just a location preference?

Pretty much yes. I was a bit higher up on the Galway panel and it didn't seem to be moving at all. So when offered Castlebar (about an hour and ten minutes away) I just took it. Get the foot in the door as they say. But had I been patient I would have gotten Galway. But if this job and this team was in Galway I'd be happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

ESMITH29 wrote: »

You can cheat all you want in the first test but the second assessment is identical to the first, only supervised, so you'd be caught off fairly quick.

Would people not be able to cheat if first and second test is same? Screengrab the first test and learn the answers of? Surely for that reason they would be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kate2293

idunno78 wrote: »
    Would people not be able to cheat if first and second test is same? Screengrab the first test and learn the answers of? Surely for that reason they would be different?

he meant that they are both abtitude tests. Obviously not going to be the exact same questions on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

But wouldn’t you be caught for time doing screen grabs while doing the test at the same time, they say to do the test on pc or laptop so how would u do the screengrabs with ur phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MD!

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help. I am mid-30s and thinking of applying for the CO position but the salary drop is a bit off putting (not a massive drop btw). Should I bide my time and apply for an EO position when it opens? What even is the difference between EO and CO?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

fin12 wrote: »

He said identical! I know they are going to be the same basis but wouldn’t call that identical! Same format!

But wouldn’t you be caught for time doing screen grabs while doing the test at the same time, they say to do the test on pc or laptop so how would u do the screengrabs with ur phone?

You would imagine it wouldn’t be worthwhile taking sceengrabs (prntscreen) as would take away a lot of time on laptop! Im sure at least one person would try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mel_g

MD! wrote: »
    Hello, I was wondering if someone could help. I am mid-30s and thinking of applying for the CO position but the salary drop is a bit off putting (not a massive drop btw). Should I bide my time and apply for an EO position when it opens? What even is the difference between EO and CO?

I would say apply for it. Even if you don't get a position or end up not taking one it is great experience to go through the process if you are considering going for the EO.

I started as a CO last year and a few months later my place came up on the EO panel and rather than let me go to another department, mine requested that I stay.

The difference starting off pay wise is around 23k versus 29k. As a CO a lot of was data entry but we were really busy and the work was varied enough not to be boring. There can be some places that don't have a steady stream of work and I know CO's that find the days very long.

As an EO you have to check and sign off on the work of a CO. The work is more interesting as the section I'm in now deals with a lot of legal issues, I attend more meetings as an EO and get to have a real input in designing new systems of work. They are also very encouraging if you want to take up additional 3rd level studies. The in house civil service One Learning also has some really good 1 day training courses

I get you on the salary drop, I dropped almost 7k to take the job as a CO last year but come October this year I will be earning more than my old job. So it was only a short term loss and to be honest flexi time is worth so much more than money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 mel_g

Kate2293 wrote: »
    40 years for full lump sum pension. You'll still get a significant pension without the 40 years service though.

The 40 year rule to qualify for a pension does not apply to new entrants. Any new entrant since 2013 is a member of the Single Pension Scheme. This is a defined benefit scheme.
    In each pay period, you contribute towards:
    your retirement lump sum benefit; and
    your annual retirement pension benefit.
    Your pensionable earnings largely determine how much you earn as benefit amounts in each pay period.

It is not a great scheme tbh. In general you don't get it until you're 68. I entered service last year, and based on my age and salary I will get a pension of around 4k. You can see more here: https://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/for-members/scheme-information/single-scheme-estimator-tool/

Advertisement