Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

mel_g wrote: »
    The 40 year rule to qualify for a pension does not apply to new entrants. Any new entrant since 2013 is a member of the Single Pension Scheme. This is a defined benefit scheme.
    In each pay period, you contribute towards:
    your retirement lump sum benefit; and
    your annual retirement pension benefit.
    Your pensionable earnings largely determine how much you earn as benefit amounts in each pay period.

It is not a great scheme tbh. In general you don't get it until you're 68. I entered service last year, and based on my age and salary I will get a pension of around 4k. You can see more here: https://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/for-members/scheme-information/single-scheme-estimator-tool/

4k a year???

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭OrangeBadger

idunno78 wrote: »
    You would imagine it wouldn’t be worthwhile taking sceengrabs (prntscreen) as would take away a lot of time on laptop! Im sure at least one person would try it!

You get a friend to go through the process and they screen grab all the questions. Then you can view them and do your test once you have prepared.

This is what is currently happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭claregal1

You get a friend to go through the process and they screen grab all the questions. Then you can view them and do your test once you have prepared.

That's pathetic cheating .. hopefully PAS are reading this and change the whole format and do it like the CC exam where it is done by hand and top 100 per county then called for interview

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

I agree. You would think they would have the cop on that people could do this and have them different for each test. Having them identical is pretty unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

^^^ Thats pretty depressing to read. I applied last time around, I will apply again- I just hope PAS use a different test to the cut-e ones used last time. I practised but they really did'nt suit me at all at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Not everyone gets the same test. Last time several of my friends also sat them and we all had questions that others didn't get. I think there is a bank of questions it picks from

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

I went for my first test supervised recently in a recent campaign and when I came out this was one of the first things I realized when I saw the test was identical at the second round. I imagine it is happening as there was people next to me clicking so fast there was no way they could have read the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The TCO test has not changed in 3 years from what I have seen with friends who have done it, so it is always wise to actually take note of how you answer in some of these tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I know of a qualified garda that had her mother do her online tests for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

There is a candidate ID section on the application form. Is this to be filled internally or is it something we need to complete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Davebol11

I've applied for a previous panel and they will soon reach my position. There seems to be a few people on this thread who may be able to answer this question for me in relation to pay.

I currently work in the Oireachtas, if I accept a CO position will my time spent working here be taken into account in relation to the pay scale? I've 5 years here, so will I start at year 5 on the pay scale as a CO? When I started in the Oireachtas they sent me a form looking for previous work experience to see if I qualified for increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Would anyone be able to email me a copy of the App form or via PM, cant seem to get it. Cant download the up to date adobe as its blocked in work.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Davebol11 wrote:
    I currently work in the Oireachtas, if I accept a CO position will my time spent working here be taken into account in relation to the pay scale? I've 5 years here, so will I start at year 5 on the pay scale as a CO? When I started in the Oireachtas they sent me a form looking for previous work experience to see if I qualified for increments.

Oireachtas position is a public/civil service job so I would assume you will be on point 5, you will have to pay 5 years superannuation though,

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Redcat75

Wonder will they try to cut down on people cheating with the online tests.
    That's a bit crazy why would you cheat ? I did much better with the supervised ( the only one that counts) because I was quicker as I remembered or was more familiar with a lot of the questions from The online one .

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Redcat75 wrote: »
    That's a bit crazy why would you cheat ? I did much better with the supervised ( the only one that counts) because I was quicker as I remembered or was more familiar with a lot of the questions from The online one .

Why would anyone cheat, to gain an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

Just a quick question if anyone can help, I'm on the panel for the Dublin region in the current campaign, if I take a job from that will it affect any offers I might receive if I reach that stage in this competition?

tweniebaby wrote: »
    Just a quick question if anyone can help, I'm on the panel for the Dublin region in the current campaign, if I take a job from that will it affect any offers I might receive if I reach that stage in this competition?

No the competitions are independent of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Do they send sample tests out beforehand like the HSE competition did? And is it timed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Blanco100 wrote: »
    There is a candidate ID section on the application form. Is this to be filled internally or is it something we need to complete?

Does anybody know what is required here?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Is that just at he candidate ID number. If so it is your public jobs ID number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

tringle wrote: »
    Do they send sample tests out beforehand like the HSE competition did? And is it timed?

The tests are timed, I think i got a couple of sample questions before the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Birdy25

I am trying to apply and I cannot download the pdf the step 1 application form.Did anone have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Birdy25 wrote: »
    I am trying to apply and I cannot download the pdf the step 1 application form.Did anone have this problem?

It doesn't seem to work for me with google chrome. As, my flash driver doesn't work. But I use Firefox as it has a built in flash drive.. Have you tried other internet search engines???

Or, is it that it's downloading and just not automatically opening? Meaning that you have to find it and open it manually?

If you downloaded it using chrome. You need to go and open it from the downloads folder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Finally got application form submitted today. Best of luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

If you downloaded it using chrome. You need to go and open it from the downloads folder

Yes, that is correct..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cdevaney

Hey, thanks 😊 I applied a week or two ago and it says submitted on the public jobs portal, how long does it take to hear back from them and how long is the process do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Alonso77

How many sections are in the pdf application form? Mine seems to go straight from section A to section C. Section B missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Alonso77 wrote: »
    How many sections are in the pdf application form? Mine seems to go straight from section A to section C. Section B missing?

I’m exactly the same. Someone else mentioned it on tco thread section b is missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Cdevaney wrote: »
    Hey, thanks 😊 I applied a week or two ago and it says submitted on the public jobs portal, how long does it take to hear back from them and how long is the process do you know?

Think it takes about 2-3 weeks after applications close for the first part which is a questionnaire.

Then another 2-3 weeks for the next step which are the two tests.

You then get placed based off your results.

Then it can be any length until you are invited to in house testing, you are placed again.

Depending on your placement, you'll be called for interview. Could take months/ over a year.

Advertisement