Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime and policing analyst in AGS (EO level)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What areas are you guys all picking? I'm going for limerick and galway

Limerick and Galway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I wonder how many jobs there will be? Can't imagine too many!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

I wonder how many jobs there will be? Can't imagine too many!!

I can't imagine there being many at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

This looks really interesting, and I would be applying were it not for the truly atrocious salary scale.

Pelvis wrote: »
    This looks really interesting, and I would be applying were it not for the truly atrocious salary scale.

Is it really that bad?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Is it really that bad?

Starts at 29k. Goes up to 46/47 I think. Payscale is in information booklet. Personally if I got it I would be hoping to get senior analyst within a few years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Starts at 29k. Goes up to 46/47 I think. Payscale is in information booklet. Personally if I got it I would be hoping to get senior analyst within a few years

Alternatively, you could simply go for a higher grade in another area of the Civil Service (encompassing AGS).

Thats what I mean - you could do a lot worse, and lets not forget it is public sector

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could simply go for a higher grade in another area of the Civil Service (encompassing AGS).

Well yes absolutely, I am personally still not eligible for HEO comps so it will be a few years before I can go for promotion in the general stream either. Not sure when next HEO will be as there was one just last year

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I've applied for this, it looks really interesting. Locations and pay not the best but I suppose the pay increases every year.

Does anyone know about the career progression with a role like this? Could you become senior analyst and move to HEO etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

ciaradx wrote: »
    I've applied for this, it looks really interesting. Locations and pay not the best but I suppose the pay increases every year.

Does anyone know about the career progression with a role like this? Could you become senior analyst and move to HEO etc?

Yes, provided you complete an internal competition/interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Interested in applying for this, but is a proficiency in Statistics important for this role? I do need to read the information booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I might throw my hat in for this as well. I feel it might be a bit beyond my experience level but then I do have a degree in sociology. I didn't take any crime related modules but my FIP involved both quantitive and qualitative research.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Kamu

I'm going to throw my hat I into the ring for this one too. Seems like a fascinating role with some proper work to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

Im also thinking of applying. Is the application form very long ( i hate filling them out:). ). On ipad so need to get to a public computer to tackle it.

Tipp star wrote: »
    Im also thinking of applying. Is the application form very long ( i hate filling them out:). ). On ipad so need to get to a public computer to tackle it.

Application form isn't too bad, qualifications, work history, experience of research /analysis, qualitative and quantitative data, IT and any special skills or qualities that make you suitable for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

If I recall from a previous thread on this, it was a long time after handing in the application that anyone heard anything back and then a good while before training for those who got it, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

Toshi101 wrote: »
    If I recall from a previous thread on this, it was a long time after handing in the application that anyone heard anything back and then a good while before training for those who got it, is that correct?

Yup, you're right in saying that, the whole process can take months

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My brother applied for this role the Saturday after it opened and he still hasn't received an email confirmation or the application form ye all seem to be getting to fill out.

He has emailed them twice and has got no response. Has anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

My brother applied for this role the Saturday after it opened and he still hasn't received an email confirmation or the application form ye all seem to be getting to fill out.

He has emailed them twice and has got no response. Has anyone else have this problem?

He should call PAS just in case to check its in

• Advertisement

You need to fill out the form and the online form before submitting the application so I don't think he has applied for the position

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Thanks for the responses. I will let him know so he can follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CK2019

Anyone know what the work environment is like as a civilian with AGS? Got in as a CO in the last campaign with DEASP and the work life balance is great - flexitime, term time opportunities etc.

Going to apply for this campaign anyway but just interested if anyone has any insight into what they are like to work for!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭yessiryes

Hi,
    Going to apply for this also, am a CO currently but 0 progression opportunities within my department, also think my location has a lot to do with lack of progression but that's a story for another day. Wouldn't have a whole pile of experience in the area through work but I did Psychology as part of my degree so it was covered extensively through that so will be relying on that to hopefully see me through, i think I can cover the other competencies with work experience better, will only be applying for Galway, wonder if the new Garda Headquarters will feature as a location.....
    Best of luck to all applying.

yessiryes wrote: »
    Hi,
    Going to apply for this also, am a CO currently but 0 progression opportunities within my department, also think my location has a lot to do with lack of progression but that's a story for another day. Wouldn't have a whole pile of experience in the area through work but I did Psychology as part of my degree so it was covered extensively through that so will be relying on that to hopefully see me through, i think I can cover the other competencies with work experience better, will only be applying for Galway, wonder if the new Garda Headquarters will feature as a location.....
    Best of luck to all applying.

Afaik galway location is the new building opposite gmit.

CK2019 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the work environment is like as a civilian with AGS? Got in as a CO in the last campaign with DEASP and the work life balance is great - flexitime, term time opportunities etc.

Going to apply for this campaign anyway but just interested if anyone has any insight into what they are like to work for!

I'm currently in AGS and I find it pretty good. Work life balance is good, no issues wth working up/taking off flexi, job share, term time etc and no dealing with the public really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I'm thinking about going for this.

Currently working in the Public Sector with extensive experience in a related role on a national and international stage.

Just wondering what the craic is with regard to payscales and pension entitlements if I was to be successful.

Surely I wouldnt drop down to the entry level grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CK2019

I'm currently in AGS and I find it pretty good. Work life balance is good, no issues wth working up/taking off flexi, job share, term time etc and no dealing with the public really

Thanks a million Crunchymomma, that’s positive to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Toshi101

Sure is a lot of acronyms in here :D

• Advertisement

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I'm thinking about going for this.

Currently working in the Public Sector with extensive experience in a related role on a national and international stage.

Just wondering what the craic is with regard to payscales and pension entitlements if I was to be successful.

Surely I wouldnt drop down to the entry level grade?

Circular 21/04 deals with incremental credit. It might clear it up for you

Advertisement