Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime and policing analyst in AGS (EO level)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grinchy88

mel123 wrote: »
    I actually found it hard to give examples of qualitative data, did anyone else? I had to wreak my brain to try and come up with an answer/example. Theres probably a million examples, i just couldnt think!

Same! I put down that i had a class on it during college (was in second year though :/ ) Haven't used it much otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭yessiryes

Have applied. My answers were quite general regarding my experience, would have been 10 pages if I had gone into detail!! I figure if I get as far as interview they can delve into my answers a bit more for the specifics. Probably should have given some proper concrete examples but was too hard to come up with a brief over view. Other than that I think it was ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

yessiryes wrote: »
    Have applied. My answers were quite general regarding my experience, would have been 10 pages if I had gone into detail!! I figure if I get as far as interview they can delve into my answers a bit more for the specifics. Probably should have given some proper concrete examples but was too hard to come up with a brief over view. Other than that I think it was ok!

I went with a general overview as well, even what I did seemed a bit waffly so I figured, same as you, that they could dive into the specifics on the day, if I get that far. I'd say we might hear about stage one next week. CO closed last Thursday and they got stage one link yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

i cant open the form, ive downloaded it on laptop,pc and phone and get the same message saying to should eventually be replaced by the original form?

I went with a general overview as well, even what I did seemed a bit waffly so I figured, same as you, that they could dive into the specifics on the day, if I get that far. I'd say we might hear about stage one next week. CO closed last Thursday and they got stage one link yesterday
    Yeah I was a bit waffly too, oh well!! Dreading these bloody tests, feels like yesterday I wss doing the CO ones!

• Advertisement

sexmag wrote: »
    i cant open the form, ive downloaded it on laptop,pc and phone and get the same message saying to should eventually be replaced by the original form?

Strange, do u have Adobe installed?

Strange, do u have Adobe installed?

yes im actually on a work pc right now and this is the msssage i get on every browser on the pc and phone:

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
    viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by
    visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.

Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark
    of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other
    countries.

yes im actually on a work pc right now and this is the msssage i get on every browser on the pc and phone:

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF
    viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by
    visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.

Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark
    of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other
    countries.

This happened to me too. If you go into your downloads, it will be there and open no problem

Yeah I was a bit waffly too, oh well!! Dreading these bloody tests, feels like yesterday I wss doing the CO ones!

I know! I did CO in 2016 and EO in 2017.....i just can't keep away apparently ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Are you opening it with the Adobe reader or in the browser? Else go to the file location and use "open with"

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    Are you opening it with the Adobe reader or in the browser? Else go to the file location and use "open with"

i resolved it by opening it in IE of all things :rolleyes:

Anyway filled it out and sent in, my quantitive and qualitive answers are waffel, dont have high hopes really as ive been stuck in the same adminstrative job for 10 years but you never know.

Only thing is if training is in temple more ill have to get a car for myself, i have 4 kids under 8 so being away for 5 weeks means my mrs might go postal on them haha ill have to travel up and down most nights but will be worth it in the end.

Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good to see we're all wafflers here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

'the selection methods may include', so what actually is the selection method in this instance does anyone know?
    This is my first application for CS. So is it an aptitude test and interview?

'the selection methods may include', so what actually is the selection method in this instance does anyone know?

I'm going to presume that stage one will have two parts (a) basically a personality test where they have statements and you say how much that are like or unlike you and some job sim questions where you pick how satisfactory certain responses to a problem would be (b) verbal and numerical tests. Stage 2- high scorers from stage one repeat stage one testing supervised in PAS. Then possibly shortlisting of applications, then stage three interview and etray

This is all just speculation on my part having gone through a few CS campaigns previously

id say there will defo be a mathematical aptitude test

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CK2019

Not looking forward to going through aptitude tests again :-/ I know there isn’t a chance of it happening but I’m still hoping that they will just decide to shortlist based on applications and not bother with the aptitude tests!! The point of the aptitude tests are to reduce the numbers to a manageable amount yea? So maybe if not that many applied.....

I’ll live in my bubble for a while yet haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

I'm going to presume that stage one will have two parts (a) basically a personality test where they have statements and you say how much that are like or unlike you and some job sim questions where you pick how satisfactory certain responses to a problem would be (b) verbal and numerical tests. Stage 2- high scorers from stage one repeat stage one testing supervised in PAS. Then possibly shortlisting of applications, then stage three interview and etray

This is all just speculation on my part having gone through a few CS campaigns previously

Thanks!
    So everyone that applied will automatically get the opportunity to complete stage one?
    Whats 'supervised in PAS'? Sorry not down with the lingo :)

Thanks!
    So everyone that applied will automatically get the opportunity to complete stage one?
    Whats 'supervised in PAS'? Sorry not down with the lingo :)

Thats what I think anyway but I could be way off

Supervised in PAS is when groups are called up to repeat the tests in the Public appointments service building in Dublin, they do this to weed out anyone who got someone else to complete their stage one tests

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

I've applied for this - not sure if I meet the requirements but what the hell, Why Not?!!!

With regards to next phase ie. Aptitude Tests, Supervised Tests etc. I think it will depend on how many applied.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I applied for this but I actually have no idea what the day to day job involves. Would anyone like to tell me what they think is involved in lay mans terms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I applied for this but I actually have no idea what the day to day job involves. Would anyone like to tell me what they think is involved in lay mans terms?

It says it in the information booklet :confused:

Mc Love wrote: »
    It says it in the information booklet :confused:

i cant find it in my downloads, does anyone have a copy they can forward to me so i can reread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

i cant find it in my downloads, does anyone have a copy they can forward to me so i can reread?

Can someone send it on to me too if ye have it. I'm not at my main comp and want to re-read it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 corcraa

Not sure how to send the entire booklet but this is an extract from it!

Tasks and Activities Crime and Policing Analysts may be involved in a range of tasks and activities. These include:
    1. Generation of standard and ad hoc reports using information from the PULSE System and other information sources;
    2. Using relevant systems and packages to analyse the information required and develop reports;
    3. Collating and examining information, identifying anomalies and making links to support particular queries/ requests;
    4. Developing an understanding of the research evidence in order to shape the analysis;
    5. Developing the service and relationships with colleagues – letting people know what can be done and the benefits it can bring;
    6. Supporting the enhancement of analytical reports and techniques;
    7. Presentation of work to members of the organisation and key stakeholders;
    8. Responding quickly to requests for information;
    9. Supporting/ standing in for their Line Manager as required;
    10. Providing training to colleagues on specific packages/ approaches as required;
    11. Explaining what the data means even if this means delivering bad news or identifying key risks;
    12. Working closely with colleagues to share knowledge and new analytical techniques.

This description of the role is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities and may be reviewed from time to time to reflect the needs of the Analysis Service.

Think this is the booklet

I wonder will we hear anything this week regarding the stage one testing. CO closed a week earlier and they got stage one link Thursday last week.

I get so antsy waiting for them ha I feel like I have been constantly doing these comps for ages!! Once stage one is through I normally have a fair idea of whether I'm in the running or not

I wonder will we hear anything this week regarding the stage one testing. CO closed a week earlier and they got stage one link Thursday last week.

I get so antsy waiting for them ha I feel like I have been constantly doing these comps for ages!! Once stage one is through I normally have a fair idea of whether I'm in the running or not

Entirely depends on the amount of applications, I wouldn't compare it too other positions as they may have a different filter process

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I’m kind of the same. I’m wonder what sort of stuff will come up in stage one. The contestants of the previous round are remaining tight lipped 😀

Just got my rejection notice via public jobs.

Good luck everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

Just got my rejection notice via public jobs.

Good luck everyone

Rejected as well. Good luck everyone else.

Advertisement