Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KeRbDoG's Dino King Conversion log

• 22-06-2018 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Prob easier to put this in another thread which has a better title rather than the 'how do I ship it thread' :) I did keep kinda a log of the work on a Sega Naomi cab, find that here.

So yup, I got me some Dino King cabs
    454032.jpg
    They looked fine, one had a good few chips along the sides at the bottom. Unsure if I will fix it or just leave as is.
    Anywho after lots of snipping/tracing the following unused bis have been removed. Gonna reuse a chunk of the cables/connectors to connect back into the existing PSU and to make up the control panel disconnect
    454030.jpg
    ...and a bit of space made
    454027.jpg
    Tested out the two control panels I got, one is a 2P4B panel (NeoGeo ish) and the other a 1P6B panel
    454028.jpg
    After a long evening of soldering and reusing the existing loom connectors. The pins in those connectors are a pain to remove, really want a pin removal tool now! side effect of using the large connector for the panel hookup - its VERY hard to unplug.
    454029.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

A quick hack in of a JAMMA loom to test one of the existing Sega PSUs - it outputs 12V, 5V and 3.3V. There is a second PSU but its 24V which was used for the card dispenser unit. Can't see a need for that PSU anymore but will keep it for now. The monitor is in great condition! yay!
    454033.jpg

To do: continue the working of the JAMMA loom, solder up the PSU connectors to it, control panel quick disconnect, speaker(s) and the coin/test/service buttons.

Only working on the first cab so far, with things I learn will work through the second cab.

Plan - the inital cab will be a 1 slot NeoGeo MVS cab with one of those 161(?)-in-one carts and the new Unibios which seems to make game selection a lot more Awesom-O

Someone asked to see what the PSUs look like - 24V is on the right and the 3.3V/5V/12V on the left
    454035.jpg
    Output label of the 3.3V/5V/12V PSU
    454034.jpg

Will be using the left PSU to power JAMMA boards.
    List_of_JAMMA_PCB's_that_require_-5_volts from what i gather.

...and yes, the whole cab - monitor and internal PSUs - is powered by 100V AC - Sega cabs are all spec'd and wired for Japan and when they export them for Europe they throw in a massive step-down PSU 230V->100V.

Using this pinout for the control panel

Wahoo! Control panel wiring for one cab nearly done! That was a pig to do, not looking forward to working on a loom for the second cab but will push on (eventually). Using the original control panel connector is great and everything but complete pain to plug/unplug.
    Fired up a NeoGeo MVS board to test the inputs as the PSX Tekken board uses a second connector for the additional controls and I didn't have the adapter handy nor did i want to solder up jumpers on the board, needed to get back to work :D

454242.jpg

Plan tomorrow;
    - get the mono speaker on the front door of the cab wired into the loom, again using the old loom connectors so the cabling on the door don't change
    - coin mech - I'm missing one coin mech from the two cabs so unsure if i will bother with the 'coin' wiring or not, just leave the cab in free play?
    - cable tie the crap out of the new loom to tidy it up
    - look into getting those locks again, don't care too much about being Sega locks
    - pray that some kind soul will make a 'conversion loom' to make the next cab plug'n'play!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Wahoo! Control panel wiring for one cab nearly done! That was a pig to do, not looking forward to working on a loom for the second cab but will push on (eventually). Using the original control panel connector is great and everything but complete pain to plug/unplug.
    Fired up a NeoGeo MVS board to test the inputs as the PSX Tekken board uses a second connector for the additional controls and I didn't have the adapter handy nor did i want to solder up jumpers on the board, needed to get back to work :D

454242.jpg

Plan tomorrow;
    - get the mono speaker on the front door of the cab wired into the loom, again using the old loom connectors so the cabling on the door don't change
    - coin mech - I'm missing one coin mech from the two cabs so unsure if i will bother with the 'coin' wiring or not, just leave the cab in free play?
    - cable tie the crap out of the new loom to tidy it up
    - look into getting those locks again, don't care too much about being Sega locks
    - pray that some kind soul will make a 'conversion loom' to make the next cab plug'n'play!

What coin mech are you missing?

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    What coin mech are you missing?

Great question, no idea :) its a 'standard' one from what I remember with the Sega Naomi cab but I can get a model number/type tomorrow

Great question, no idea :) its a 'standard' one from what I remember with the Sega Naomi cab but I can get a model number/type tomorrow

Ok will take a look for one, great job by the way, onwards and upwards.

• Both of mine used an excel credit board connected to the mech, still have the coin mech if you want it let me know and ill stick it in a jiffy..

15n8tnk.jpg

Thanks for the offer folks - let me check tomorrow to see what type the other cab has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

man. 6 months ago I knew nothing about these dinoking cabs , now I want one real bad :D:D

• Advertisement

BGOllie wrote: »
    man. 6 months ago I knew nothing about these dinoking cabs , now I want one real bad :D:D

just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Inviere

BGOllie wrote: »

No doubt you'll have four of them soon, two found in a local fleamarket for €4 each, the other two from a relative in France who found them in an attic

Starting to think that the PSU might not have enough amperage for certain boards in the future - 12V@1.5A *might* not be enough, 5V@4A should be OK. Time will tell.
    454034.jpg

Both of mine used an excel credit board connected to the mech, still have the coin mech if you want it let me know and ill stick it in a jiffy.

I think its an excel credit board (which I still have), just the coin mech thats missing. Checked the other cab and the unit it has is a 'SR3' which turns out to cost a chunk of cash...prob still used in modern coin-ops? The one you posted an image of looks like it would work but don't want to put yea under any pressure/hassle

• I am on holidays and down there most days picking up bits.. Pm your address and ill get it up to you. ��

I am on holidays and down there most days picking up bits.. Pm your address and ill get it up to you. ��

Awesome, PMing now

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

I think its an excel credit board (which I still have), just the coin mech thats missing. Checked the other cab and the unit it has is a 'SR3' which turns out to cost a chunk of cash...prob still used in modern coin-ops? The one you posted an image of looks like it would work but don't want to put yea under any pressure/hassle

They might look the same, but depending on what way they are programmed, might be a sticker on the side telling you what way there done

New (to me) MV-1FZS NeoGeo MVS board, the 'S' on the end is meant to signal its Spanish. A little testing first to ensure its not pants before I look to get it into the cab
    455314.jpg

Nice telephone oh and we nice 1 slot :)
    Progress !!

Nice telephone oh and we nice 1 slot :)
    Progress !!

Telephone converted to allow it tone dial using the pulses from the rotary dialer. Wakes the whole house up as it's a loud ringer :D

Also found my previous UniBios chip (has version 3 on it) so might look to get it updated. Anyone got another 1 slotter?

• Advertisement

Telephone converted to allow it tone dial using the pulses from the rotary dialer. Wakes the whole house up as it's a loud ringer :D

Also found my previous UniBios chip (has version 3 on it) so might look to get it updated. Anyone got another 1 slotter?

I've got two broken ones I want rid of?
    One has a video ram error the other is stuck in a reset loop.

I've got two broken ones I want rid of?
    One has a video ram error the other is stuck in a reset loop.

Gift horse/mouth...but might you know the model numbers of them?

Gift horse/mouth...but might you know the model numbers of them?

I dont but i took a pic

I dont but i took a pic

Sorry, I should have come back to you before now - now gonna look to put a non-MVS board in the second cab.
    Thanks for the pic though.

Only update - second controller wired up and JAMMA harness from control panel to JAMMA connector soldered up tonight. Need to do the power/video/service-test-buttons and then its cable tidy time with a hint of lots of cable ties.
    RaspberryJAMMA ordered after much indecision for the second cab. Whats the worst that can happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

arcade_fire.jpg?w=800

RaspberryJAMMA received and Pi3+ installed and quickly both damaged when i was tuning the 5V level from the Sega PSU...woops.
    RGB amp replaced on the RJ and new Pi in place and all is well.

What image are folks running on theirs? Just putting Recalbox on an sdcard now, i tried ARpiCADE and its a little clunky, boot time is mental - unsure why the don't keep a list of the ROMs after the initial scan.

The NeoGeo board is working really well in one of the cabs.

Cabs in their new home, need to jig the room around more. Thanks to Ciderman for the help unloading them from the car, small but heavy cabs :D

Next job - clean up and cable tie the harness in the cab and look into artwork for them, maybe a NeoGeo theme on one. Unsure for the other.

I gave up on the Pi2Jamma, is that the same as the RaspberryJAMMA ?

I should really get rid of it as its not getting used.

Or i could try a new image i guess. I had the Pi2thingy image.
    http://strike-devices.net/index.php/download/

I gave up on the Pi2Jamma, is that the same as the RaspberryJAMMA ?

I should really get rid of it as its not getting used.

Or i could try a new image i guess. I had the Pi2thingy image.
    http://strike-devices.net/index.php/download/

I went to the dark side and ordered a Pandora's Box 6 CGA yesterday. The RaspberryJAMMA might be for sale soon to someone with more patience, skills and time than I have

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I went to the dark side and ordered a Pandora's Box 6 CGA yesterday. The RaspberryJAMMA might be for sale soon to someone with more patience, skills and time than I have

Any idea what the emulation on those Pandoras boxes is like these days?

• Advertisement

Latest videos look better than say the older 4+ boxes but time will tell. Prob take a month or so to get to me from China-person

Advertisement