Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

why then?

Not my place to say, not just incase I was told something wrong but also because it's really nobody else's business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭sellit90000

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Not my place to say, not just incase I was told something wrong but also because it's really nobody else's business

fair enough, we shall wait and see if he gets another look from leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

a potential Leinster u20 side:

1. Guiseppe Coynel(DUFC)
    2. Declan Adamson(Clontarf)
    3. Michael Milne(UCD)
    4. Ryan Baird(DUFC)
    5. Charlie Ryan(UCD)
    6. Martin Moloney(Old Belvedere)
    7. Scott Penny(UCD)
    8. Ronan Watters(St. Marys)
    9. Cormac Foley(st. Marys)
    10. Harry Byrne(Lansdowne)
    11. Aaron O'Sullivan(UCD)
    12. David Hawkshaw(Clontarf)
    13. David Ryan(UCD)
    14. Liam Turnerl(DUFC)
    15. Rob Russel(DUFC)

a potential Leinster u19 side

1. Harry Noonan(Old Wesley)
    2. John McKee(Old Belvedere)
    3. Thomas Clarkson(DUFC)
    4. Cian Prendergast(UCD)
    5. Brian Deeny(Clontarf)
    6. Anthony Ryan(DUFC)
    7. Ethan Baxter(Old Belvedere)
    8. Jody Booth(DUFC)
    9. Shane Murphy(UCD)
    10. Paddy McKenzie(Old Wesley)
    11. Ronan Quinn(DUFC)
    12. Ben O'Shea(Old Belvedere)
    13. Luis Faria(DUFC)
    14. Tom Maher(UCD)
    15. Sam Dardis(Terenure)

David Ryan hasn't exactly been lighting it up for UCD this season I wouldn't have him near the squad better centres in Tarf, Trinity & Lansdowne from what I have seen so far no idea of their names mind but they would be ahead of Ryan in my opinion from what I have seen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    David Ryan hasn't exactly been lighting it up for UCD this season I wouldn't have him near the squad better centres in Tarf, Trinity & Lansdowne from what I have seen so far no idea of their names mind but they would be ahead of Ryan in my opinion from what I have seen

He’s only there because his brother is James Ryan and he went to Michael’s

I think Leinster rugby and the IRFU are well past the days of selecting a player just because of who he is, where he went to school and who he is related to.

• Advertisement

Not ahead of Ryan in the leinser sub-academy, not that I think Ryan is anything special.

Centre is weak at the moment in the underage section.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Not ahead of Ryan in the leinser sub-academy, not that I think Ryan is anything special.

Centre is weak at the moment in the underage section.

Says more about sub academy than anything else as there are better centres out there at 20s level playing week in & week out. These lads develop quickly at this age but academies and others slow to look outside of the system and find a few players

Says more about sub academy than anything else as there are better centres out there at 20s level playing week in & week out. These lads develop quickly at this age but academies and others slow to look outside of the system and find a few players

It’s a pitty Leinster don’t really look at players who are playing fantastic rugby at u20 level or AIL level but aren’t in the Leinster set up, there’s a lot of unrecognized talent out there

Yeah Leinster do a poor job of identifying and developing talent. :pac:

They do, a lot of talent goes unrecognized, there’s loads of great u20 players that are not on Leinster playing for their club that are playing better than players in the academy/ sub academy, don’t get me wrong there’s some fantastic talent in the academy but I’m just saying some talent goes unrecognized

• Advertisement

Why do you think we do so poor every year in Ireland u20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Ireland the country or Leinster the province?

Ireland the country or Leinster the province?

Both, and majority of the players on Ireland are from Leinster

It’s a pitty Leinster don’t really look at players who are playing fantastic rugby at u20 level or AIL level but aren’t in the Leinster set up, there’s a lot of unrecognized talent out there

Don't think you can say Leinster don't look, there has never been as many underage provincial teams from the Shane Horgan cup to Metro and regional teams.

Some slip through the net, rightly or wrongly, but that is the same as every code. They make a judgement call based on their body of work.

It is working out for Leinster.

Both, and majority of the players on Ireland are from Leinster

We got to a final two years ago.

Buckled with injuries the year after

This year, poor crop maybe missing a few players like Michael Lowry but its not like their were 15 lads totally robbed of a place.

You are angling on a schools bad clubs good routine here

We got to a final two years ago.

Buckled with injuries the year after

This year, poor crop maybe missing a few players like Michael Lowry but its not like their were 15 lads totally robbed of a place.

You are angling on a schools bad clubs good routine here

I think there were a few players that missed out and didn’t get an opportunity

Possibly there was, the coaches/selection committee obviously saw differently. Probably did miss out given where we finished up.

But thats a one off tournament not a sweeping statement on Leinster being bad at identifying talent

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Players are in and out of development/representative squads from a young age, and schools games and club games are all scouted by Leinster staff.

I think it's disingenuous to say they didn't get an opportunity or aren't being watched. It's more like a case of the Leinster staff doesn't see them being a potential prospect for the province, or flaws that might not seem obvious to the average joe.

We've one of the best academies in Europe in terms of producing top talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

My only gripes with leinster would be the have to play AIL to make 20s when external factors can influence why a player isn't other that their level, and the emphasis on size but I think that's a problem with rugby in general

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Yeah strikes me as a rangy unathletic centre who is middling. One wonders about why they hype such average players down there.

• Advertisement

there is very little hype around David Ryan.

such as?

if you are going to say that then back it up

not poor every year.. last two years have been poorly coached, injury riddled and undersized.

such as?

if you are going to say that then back it up

Richie Bergin, Max Kearney, Tom Monaghan, Chris Carey, Peter Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Max Kearney is a 7, Isn't he? That's obviously a fairly strong position in Leinster, especially with Penny now in the academy. Peter Maher has played for Leinster A, so they've obviously had a good look at him.

Tom Monaghan wasn't starting for Lansdowne in the majority of the games and finished up on the wing in a side that lost in the two cup games first round.

Maher did get a look in at Leinster A

Chris Carey has been in Irish u18 squads and plays AIL for Belvo

Max Kearney is a 7, Isn't he? That's obviously a fairly strong position in Leinster, especially with Penny now in the academy. Peter Maher has played for Leinster A, so they've obviously had a good look at him.

To be honest, I actually thought Max Kearney was better than Penny and probably still is, he always out played him when they played each other in school and always made dominant tackles against him, was a pitty they dropped him probably due to his height, thought he was a fantastic player and I thought Leinster made a mistake dropping him

not poor every year.. last two years have been poorly coached, injury riddled and undersized.

This is it. Not to boil it down to one player but missing that Munster lad Jack O Sullivan was a killer last year

To be honest, I actually thought Max Kearney was better than Penny and probably still is, he always out played him when they played each other in school and always made dominant tackles against him, was a pitty they dropped him probably due to his height, thought he was a fantastic player and I thought Leinster made a mistake dropping him

Give over, Penney has been involved with the Leinster Senior Squad out of school. Max Kearney wasn't destroying teams at Prem 1 last year or this year in AIL. He is good but he isn't in Penneys league for me, but would be inclined to go with the professional coaches view too.

He would also be a year older than Penney so that makes sense in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

This is it. Not to boil it down to one player but missing that Munster lad Jack O Sullivan was a killer last year

Best underage player I've seen of this crop coming through. Hopefully the knee injury doesn't curtail his development, has it all.

Advertisement