Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There is no doubt that Cameron takes the blame for the ref, but this narrative that May is somehow locked in and cannot make decisions.

She has allowed this "will of the people" mantra to take hold. She allowed, by going on with the inane "BRexit means BRexit nonsense to let anybody pick whatever they wanted. The like of Boris and JRM picked the hardest form.

She has allowed Boris to repeatedly undermine her. She has allowed her cabinet be taken over by internal divisions and allowed them to be broadcast to the world.

She didn't bother to stand up to the DUP in December.

She went out and gave the speech including the red lines, she took the hostile line about getting what we want or we will walk away. These are her decisions. She is the PM, the person with the ultimate power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well I don’t actually see much difference between current Tory rhetoric and the rhetoric of Marine Le Pen or AfD. They aren’t centre right anymore.

May is politely spoken but other than that, she’s leading a right wing party in de facto coalition with one of the most extreme right wing parties in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Love that new thread smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There is no doubt that Cameron takes the blame for the ref, but this narrative that May is somehow locked in and cannot make decisions.

She has allowed this "will of the people" mantra to take hold. She allowed, by going on with the inane "BRexit means BRexit nonsense to let anybody pick whatever they wanted. The like of Boris and JRM picked the hardest form.

She has allowed Boris to repeatedly undermine her. She has allowed her cabinet be taken over by internal divisions and allowed them to be broadcast to the world.

She didn't bother to stand up to the DUP in December.

She went out and gave the speech including the red lines, she took the hostile line about getting what we want or we will walk away. These are her decisions. She is the PM, the person with the ultimate power.

She has been given ways out as well. If she really wanted to she could have stopped everything and started a proper investigation into campaign finances of Vote Leave and if this undermined the vote. She could have asked for a new vote seeing that there is enough evidence that there has been collusion between the campaigns and there might have been interference from outside.

She has that power but has barreled ahead without a care with her head down and not looking at what she is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Over 30,000 comments later, 18 months or so, and we still have no clarity whatsoever on what Brexit will look like! Here's to 40,000!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Inquitus wrote: »
    Over 30,000 comments later, 18 months or so, and we still have no clarity whatsoever on what Brexit will look like! Here's to 40,000!
    Dark, hard and bitter; exactly as I like my stout as well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

#2ndReferendum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭trellheim

#2ndReferendum

Try and sell that . Grieve's amendment last week being voted down proved this train cant be stopped. Only road out is for May to convince the middle of the road or big business like Airbus to put the fears into the moderates.

But remember - May wants out.

Not sure how much more dramatic this can get though.

There does seem to be a certain narrative that May is gamely trying to ward off the hard brexiteers and is playing a sly game.

I just don't buy it. At every opportunity she has chosen the path to hard brexit. The election attempt to get a super majority could well have been that, but certainly the decision to accept the DUP, whether purposefully of not in terms of Brexit, made the chance far more likely.

She then went off on her red lines speech, she might have believed that the EU would bend but she has always stated that NO deal is better than a bad deal, ie she is quite prepared to risk a hard Brexit.

Her attempt to leverage the EU citizens rights as a bargaining ship was another play.

Her time as Home Secretary, she barley disguised her contempt for the ECJ. The only way to get away from that is hard Brexit.

So, my reading of it is that May would like a better deal, who wouldn't want a better deal in anything, but hard brexit is fine with her. Any concessions she can get is icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The Chequers summit has reportedly been cancelled:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-plots-a-soft-brexit-2018-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ehhh... ok.... so white paper? Any kind of paper will do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, it hasn't been cancelled; it has been expanded into an all-Cabinet meeting (as opposed to just a meeting of the Brexit subcommittee of the Cabinet).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Peregrinus wrote: »
    No, it hasn't been cancelled; it has been expanded into an all-Cabinet meeting (as opposed to just a meeting of the Brexit subcommittee of the Cabinet).
    Well yes and no; it was suppose to be a two day meeting with war cabinet day 1 (Thursday) and the wider cabinet on day 2 (Friday). Day 1 has now been cancelled and it's only a 1 day meeting with the wider cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,375 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Me thinks the business community has made their Voice made, There is alot of bewildered politicians going in there having been given it in the ear from Business big and small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I miss the days when the Tories were the party of business and weren't busy trying to impoverish the UK.

Hopefully the lobbying by the likes of the CBI is what has persuaded them to change their minds (although I am rather sceptical to put it mildly).

The link that LeinsterDub provided in the last thread is very interesting. I understand now why the DUP went for Brexit. They believe that when (not if mind you) Brexit is a success it will ensure that a united Ireland will never happen as people will be content being in the UK and will see no need to join the EU via Ireland.

So just as David Cameron gambled on the EU referendum, so did the DUP. They hope that Brexit is such a success that people in NI will see no need to change the status quo and will want to be British due to that. That is a massive risk they took. The fact that many of their MLA's and MP's are wary of the EU probably clouded their thinking here. They may just have scored an incredible own goal when the match hadn't officially started.

At least that that clears up the thinking process of the DUP for me. Its still an idiotic move on their part, but at least I sort of understand why they are for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Enzokk wrote: »
    The link that LeinsterDub provided in the last thread is very interesting. I understand now why the DUP went for Brexit. They believe that when (not if mind you) Brexit is a success it will ensure that a united Ireland will never happen as people will be content being in the UK and will see no need to join the EU via Ireland.

So just as David Cameron gambled on the EU referendum, so did the DUP. They hope that Brexit is such a success that people in NI will see no need to change the status quo and will want to be British due to that. That is a massive risk they took. The fact that many of their MLA's and MP's are wary of the EU probably clouded their thinking here. They may just have scored an incredible own goal when the match hadn't officially started.

At least that that clears up the thinking process of the DUP for me. Its still an idiotic move on their part, but at least I sort of understand why they are for Brexit.

It's faulty logic though of the worst kind. The status quo is what kept the whole UI issue off the agenda because both being in the EU without any border crossings and such made a UI more of a formality issue. Leaving WILL backfire spetacularly expecially if a wealth divide open's up that leave's the North far worse off than the south which would be prospering. Their short sighted stupidy has reinvogirated the whole UI issue and made it front and center of any contingency plans as one of the first viable option's of removing a border.

Brexit WILL be a disaster, their carryon and whole lack of any serious planning shows that they're incompetent at best and outright stupid at the worst. They refuse to listen to any facts because it doesnt suit their agenda to leave whatever the cost and because of this, if they walk off that cliff the UK's days will be definately numbered as this will break them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

NHS - in crisis
    Military/ MOD - in crisis
    Financial/ City - in crisis
    Transport - trains/ planes - in crisis
    Car Industry - in crisis
    Fruit pickers- in crisis
    Scotland tourism- in crisis

Etc. Etc.
    + PSNI in crisis

Northern Ireland’s police chief has revealed the chaos surrounding preparations for the Irish border after Brexit, protesting that no one is in charge.

George Hamilton told MPs there was no coordinator who was “actually taking responsibility

"We feel like we are in the dark around all of this – we don’t have that go-to coordinator to assist with us, to tell us what the requirement is,” Mr Hamilton said.

The evidence was described as “very troubling” by Sylvia Hermon, an independent Northern Ireland MP – while the DUP’s Ian Paisley Jnr said it “sounds like a shambles”.

Mr Hamilton also revealed he had yet to have a meeting with Theresa May about the Brexit threat to the border – and that he had not met her at all since last October.

^^ its getting into the region of neglect at this point. All the signs point to the fact that the government have not prepared anything in terms of any change.

Dover, the Port tunnel, customs employees, regulatory bodies, travel systems (visas etc). The NI border, the NI police.

What are these great systems they have in said will deal with the border? Have IT contracts been signed, have suppliers even been contacted?

It seems, from the complaints from business and unions, that nobody is being told anything. There is no reason why they should not have been informed of the plans at this stage, given that a large part of the negotiation strategy is that the UK are prepared to walk away. So wouldn't it make sense to at least give the impression to the EU that the UK is ready for such an eventuality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The link that LeinsterDub provided in the last thread is very interesting. I understand now why the DUP went for Brexit.
    Everyone was saying remain would win.

So they saw it as a no risk way of proving their Britishness and increasing their finances thanks to NI parties being allowed anonymous donations for historical reasons. And of course it was the opposite of what the both the shinners and the UUP wanted.

They sold out. They were the conduit for dodgy funding of the Metro Ad campaign that didn't run in NI. There's the whole Cash For Ash scandal. And there's the Billion Pound Bribe , but precious little of that has actually arrived as Stormont isn't running.

_102157373_ni_duptoryfund-nc.png
    Downing Street has said that so far £430m has been released. In 2017/18, £20m was given to health and education while the £410m allocated for the Stormont budget is currently going through parliamentary approval procedures.

20 pieces of silver was a lot of money for an individual in Roman times.
    £20 million for an entire province , not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What are these great systems they have in said will deal with the border? Have IT contracts been signed, have suppliers even been contacted?
    Anyone remember the weather in March ?

The same weather next year will throw a massive spanner in the works , if there's a hard Brexit.

So far I haven't heard of any major UK building works for Brexit.
    It's just "park the trucks alonge the motorway" and hope for the best.

Ask Apple just how long it takes to get planning permission if someone is opposing it to make a killing (allegedley). It wouldn't suprise me that lots of land in the UK near ports has been bought up. A good bit of land near the NI border has increased in value.

275 days to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The number of UK tourists to this country is finally on the increase again, but is still poised to be overtaken as our largest market by Continental Europe:

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ot/overseastravelmay2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

This white paper release is like Xmas day for me

#imsad

China is finally accepting UK beef again after BSE.

Then again they only started accepting US beef last year, so there's more competition.

Not really Brexit related, just a reminder that China can introduce a 20 year ban overnight and has done. But hey, #takebackcontrol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭McGiver

He said: “I, like most people, knew it wouldn’t be straightforward but I didn’t think anyone suspected it would be as long drawn-out, complicated and divisive (a process) as some people are trying to turn it into.”
    Only a person who is completely ignorant and didn't make or read any analysis could say such a nonsense. I'm no expert, but even I can understand that unwinding 40 years of economic and regulatory integration into European structures etc cannot be done in just 2 years. At least not without serious damage. Only Brexiteers and DUP believe this fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

With all due respect this explanation is nonsense, although the like many Brexiteer arguments it covers the real objective with one that is superficially plausible. The DUP wanted to strengthen the border, cause economic damage in nationalist areas near the Border and increase the British contribution to NI so that nobody could make a United Ireland add up. But of course while nationalists might be somewhat mollified by an NI with more public spending this was never likely. Brexit being (much of ) a success was never likely. But even if there was some remote chance of success no nationalist would be happy at this coming at the expense of customs huts and the like. The older DUP were so caught up in themselves, they didn't even think that a lot of middle of the road people were actually quite pro EU and not at all interested in incurring economic hardship to leave the EU.

The DUP will be mentioned in political science books as a major f***up for years to come.

With all due respect this explanation is nonsense, although the like many Brexiteer arguments it covers the real objective with one that is superficially plausible. The DUP wanted to strengthen the border, cause economic damage in nationalist areas near the Border and increase the British contribution to NI so that nobody could make a United Ireland add up. But of course while nationalists might be somewhat mollified by an NI with more public spending this was never likely. Brexit being (much of ) a success was never likely. But even if there was some remote chance of success no nationalist would be happy at this coming at the expense of customs huts and the like. The older DUP were so caught up in themselves, they didn't even think that a lot of middle of the road people were actually quite pro EU and not at all interested in incurring economic hardship to leave the EU.

The DUP will be mentioned in political science books as a major f***up for years to come.

I am just trying to make sense of their decision. Before this it never made sense to me why they would back Brexit. But seeing the gamble they themselves describe they took I can see why they would follow that direction. It's still a extremely stupid move that has no chance of success, but I see why they would make that choice.

I do agree with the sentiment of your post though, it still baffles me that they are once again rowing against the tide in their own country. But that seems par for the course for the DUP and hypocrites will be hypocritical I suppose. I just never thought that their positions would be so obviously stupid. I do wonder about those that think they are a viable political party though. I mean the DUP are idiots, but those that fall for their shenanigans, what are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think the DUP initially backed Brexit out of tradition (the EU is a Romish conspiracy) and instinct (suspicious of foreigners and foreign links) and affinity (they always like to tog out with the Neanderthal wing of the Tory party). They probably didn't pay close attention to arguments about whether Brexit would benefit or injure NI. They probably didn't expect Brexit to pass anyway, so the practical implications were unimportant.

Having once adopted that position, they couldn't climb down from it. They're a deeply insecure bunch of lads, as I have mentioned before, and one of the ways in which this insecurity manifests itself is that they find it extraordinarily difficult to reconsider any position they have adopted, once they have adopted it, because that might look like admitting to having made a mistake. The 'M' word! Never. Never. Never.

After the Brexit referendum was carried (to their suprise as much as to everyone else's) some of the less mad members of the party began to think about what this actually meant for NI and how it might play out, and for a time they were somewhat successful influencing the party towards a softer Brexit. If you look at the manifesto that the DUP ran on in May's misbegotten general election, it did not call for the UK to leave either the Customs Union or the Single Market. It called for:

- "a comprehensive free trade and customs agreement with the European Union"

- the ability to opt-in to EU funds

- arrangements to facilitate ease of movement of people, goods and services

- continued participation in funding programmes like research funding.

That's a pretty soft Brexit, and one which could in fact be delivered by a Norway-type Brexit, or something quite like it.

But after the election, of course, the DUP found themselves in a position to make or break the Tory government. They chose to make it, in return for a mess of pottage, but hard-Brexit members of the party - I'm looking at you, Nigel Dodds - argued that this required the party to support the much harder Brexit for which May campaigned, and which she still seemed bent on delivering, despite her dismal election result. The alliance with the Tories strengthened the hand, and the influence, of the hard Brexiters in the DUP. What also strengthened their hand is that they are mostly in Westminster, where they are active and involved, while the DUP soft Brexiters are more found in the Assembly, which is moribund.

Arlene (who in DUP terms is a soft Brexiter) tried to hold the line for a time, and called for a "sensible Brexit" that would work for NI and the Republic. But the Hard Brexiters in Westminster won the day decisively last December, when they compelled Arlene to tell May that the first draft of the Joint Report was unacceptable, and they had paragraph 50 (UK will not institute NI/GB border) inserted.

Since the, the hard Brexit view has dominated in the DUP. So far as I can see, they have never really formed the view that it's in NI's interests, economically speaking. They do buy into the standard Brexity claptrap about the economic benefits of Brexit, but more because it supports the hard Brexit position to which they are drawn by instinct, and which it is politically advantageous for them to hold, than because they are convinced by it. And, because of their insecurity already mentioned, having doubled down on hard Brexit, they'll never move away from it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

You might remember Ciaran of James O'Brien fame

https://twitter.com/donnyc1975/status/1012263215718428672

The rest of Europe has moved on, they are bored of the UK's sideshow . Come back to us when you've a real plan lads.

• Advertisement

Listening to the Guardian Brexit podcast, the view from the EU reporter the EU has indeed moved on.

They are very much resigned to the high possibility that the UK will crash out. Not because they (EU) don't want a deal but moresoe because the UK haven't brought anything to the table.

The fact that they appear to want a CU on goods but not on services, deemed cherry picking, is saying to them that the UK is not taking this seriously.

The hope is still that a last minute deal will be struck, but at this stage it is thought that any concessions will have to come from the UK side as they have left it too late to persuade the EU to change their rules. The transition period will then see some concessions.

But from a Meeting that was until recently billed as a crucial summit to one in which TM will possibly get 1 hour over coffee to talk is quite a change. And far from the EU being fully engaged, and pleading with the UK, the EU are happy to let Barnier manage the process and they will review when he has something to offer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement