Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro 14- Tv Viewing Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

MJohnston wrote: »
    Virgin Media TV customers:
    • Autumn Internationals ✓
    • Six Nations ✓
    • Summer Tours ✓
    • Pro14 ✗
    • Champions Cup ✗ (apart from a handful of FTA games)
    • Challenge Cup ✗
    • Rugby World Cup 2019 ✗

The World Cup games involving Ireland have to be Free to Air (RTE or TV3) so thats atleast something.
    Anyway you see it Virgin is a pretty bad choice for rugby fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭kooga

just to clarify

RTE have the rights in the ROI for the autumn internationals the uk rights including NI are on Sky so even if you have Uk freeview in NI it will be geo blocked.

However given that we play Italy in the USA this autumn it might not be on RTE - when we played the All Blacks in the US it was on eir sport

This June for the first time Channel 4 had the Wales summer tour to Argentina

All in all rugby rights are highly fragmented

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Using a Chromecast + Eirsport App is much better quality. Constant 720p with no drop in quality.

You wont get 1080p as its not broadcast a that high a bit rate to begin with.

Good to know. I'm planning to upgrade my eir mobile subscription to get the free eir sports app and an earlier poster here said you couldn't cast with it which had me worried.

Good to know. I'm planning to upgrade my eir mobile subscription to get the free eir sports app and an earlier poster here said you couldn't cast with it which had me worried.
    That was true when the app was very first launched, but if you go to the EirSport website they promote heavily that its compatible with Chromecast.

*This is with Eir home broadband, not Eir Mobile

455954.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

*This is with Eir home broadband, not Eir Mobile

This is crucial. You can Chromecast Eir Sports as a broadband/home phone subscriber, but not if you are a Mobile Subscriber.

In fairness, any time I've used Chromecast streaming, the quality has been very good. Not quite HD but still decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

This is crucial. You can Chromecast Eir Sports as a broadband/home phone subscriber, but not if you are a Mobile Subscriber.

In fairness, any time I've used Chromecast streaming, the quality has been very good. Not quite HD but still decent.

Ah dang it! That's scuppered my plans. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm a Virgin customer so i would have to move broadband to eir then (which is presumably their plan).

Question is can I be bothered

• This is crucial. You can Chromecast Eir Sports as a broadband/home phone subscriber, but not if you are a Mobile Subscriber.

Ah dang it! That's scuppered my plans. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm a Virgin customer so i would have to move broadband to eir then (which is presumably their plan).

Chromecast has a 'display screen' mode on your mobile similar to the 'display desktop' mode on PC. Can you use this to get around it, mirror the screen and then just have the app open?

I don't care eitherway, have given up on TV at this stage and exclusively watch all content from my PC or phone, whether that be legal subscriptions or illegal streams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

You can if you're a Mobile bill pay customer that gets the phone aswell not on a sim only deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭PMC83

I bought an app called MirrorSamsung, works perfectly. Not quiet full HD but watched a good 30 minutes of sport there, from the phone to Tv, no issues. Cost about 5 quid

Chromecast has a 'display screen' mode on your mobile similar to the 'display desktop' mode on PC. Can you use this to get around it, mirror the screen and then just have the app open?
    I use the ""Cast screen" option for Sky Sport Mobile TV all the time, works a treat and much cheaper than the tv package.

Only downside is you can't really use your phone for anything else while watching the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

For anyone who uses iPhone/ iPad. You can get a lightning to HDMI adapter for cheap enough. Projects the phone image great. Unsure about the likes of Skygo blocking etc. But it showed Netflix in perfect HD

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The pricing is sneaky as feck.

Main page:
    Broadband and landline 35 per month for first six months
    After six months 40

They then mention at the end that the price rises to 76 after 12 months. :rolleyes:

The pricing is sneaky as feck.

Main page:
    Broadband and landline 35 per month for first six months
    After six months 40

They then mention at the end that the price rises to 76 after 12 months. :rolleyes:

What plan are you looking at?

I am looking at their Broadband, Landline and TV and it's €45 p/m for 6. €50 p/m for another 6 and then €91 p/m for another 6 to see out the 18 month contract.

Not too bad given I get the same minus sports channels for €75 with Virgin. So essentially I am paying less than €20 per month to get all the rugby. And that's after saying €25+ a month for a year.

Virgin have slightly more music channels and sky living. But other than that it's the exact same. And I don't watch them

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What plan are you looking at?

I am looking at their Broadband, Landline and TV and it's €45 p/m for 6. €50 p/m for another 6 and then €91 p/m for another 6 to see out the 18 month contract.

Not too bad given I get the same minus sports channels for €75 with Virgin. So essentially I am paying less than €20 per month to get all the rugby. And that's after saying €25+ a month for a year.

Virgin have slightly more music channels and sky living. But other than that it's the exact same. And I don't watch them

Broadband and landline.

I don't want TV. I won't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am paying €53 p/m for broadband only with eir. The streaming of the channels is perfect though I am close to a green cabinet. I have mentioned it before but the great benefit of the app and chromecast is that you can use it on holidays too - no need to find a pub abroad.

My only worry now is going over eir's 1TB for downloading content.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sports Rights are getting increasingly complicated. In the last few weeks some crowd called Eleven Sports have picked up the UK rights to La Liga and Serie A. Not sure of that extends to Irish rights.

Basically if you had the time and inclination to watch all these leagues and sports etc you'd need to subscribe to at least 5 different broadcasters now in Sky, BT, Premier Sports/Eir Sports, Eleven Sports and Amazon Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭nc6000

I have my TV through Sky and until I cancelled Sky Sports last month I was paying €37 extra for it. My broadband was with Vodafone for €50 a month.

I've just moved to Eir Complete Broadband & Phone on a 12 month contract for €35 per month which includes the Eir\BT sport pack for free which will give me all the Pro14 and Heineken Cup games.

It's quite a saving. I'll miss out on whatever rugby Sky still have like Top14 and summer tours etc but I had noticed the Top14 games were often on the free Sky Sports Mix channel so hopefully this continues next year.

nc6000 wrote: »
    I have my TV through Sky and until I cancelled Sky Sports last month I was paying €37 extra for it. My broadband was with Vodafone for €50 a month.

I've just moved to Eir Complete Broadband & Phone on a 12 month contract for €35 per month which includes the Eir\BT sport pack for free which will give me all the Pro14 and Heineken Cup games.

It's quite a saving. I'll miss out on whatever rugby Sky still have like Top14 and summer tours etc but I had noticed the Top14 games were often on the free Sky Sports Mix channel so hopefully this continues next year.

I used Now TV for the summer internationals. I got a €20 p/m deal.

I used Now TV for the summer internationals. I got a €20 p/m deal.

That's my plan. Given how little rugby is on Sky now I don't mind paying a tenner for a day pass if it is infrequent. Sure it's less than 2 pints in the pub which is what I'd get minimum if I'm watching the match there

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Sports Rights are getting increasingly complicated. In the last few weeks some crowd called Eleven Sports have picked up the UK rights to La Liga and Serie A. Not sure of that extends to Irish rights.

Basically if you had the time and inclination to watch all these leagues and sports etc you'd need to subscribe to at least 5 different broadcasters now in Sky, BT, Premier Sports/Eir Sports, Eleven Sports and Amazon Prime.
    It's a pain in the bollocks really. Wish Sky would just get everything back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sky was always extremely overpriced though, if you didn't care about football.

Thought I'd mention it before anyone goes off and switches to Eir.
    The EirSport App does not work or wont function properly on those rooted android boxes in case anyone was planning on using it that way.

If you have a smart tv then you can log into the EirSport site using the web browser, although I haven't tried this Eir says it can be done.
    Easiest options are mobile device + chromecast or laptop + HDMI cable.

I wouldn't be bothered with the Eir tv package as its about 80% free to air channels by the looks of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

What are the pay per view options or online options. I have sky but wouldn't change to die and only have interest in pro14 really ?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Sky was always extremely overpriced though, if you didn't care about football.

Yeah it's a rip off. They lost the rights to the Champions League 3 years ago and responded by putting their subscriptions up!

I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of Sky Sports because BT have a decent football portfolio now and there isn't much rugby left, but I also like Golf and a bit of Cricket so I'm basically stuck with them.

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'll probably end up with both Sky + Eir which will be like 80 quid a month.

In fairness, still cheaper than going to the pub every weekend (in terms of money and marital brownie points).

Trying to think of the rugby Sky Sports have left.

Top 14
    England Autunm series.
    Oxford v Cambridge :pac:

Are any rights confirmed for the summer internationals?

Trying to think of the rugby Sky Sports have left.

Top 14
    England Autunm series.
    Oxford v Cambridge :pac:

Are any rights confirmed for the summer internationals?

All SANZAR rugby (including any tours down there, won't be any until 2020 though) and Ireland's Autumn Tests, I assume they have the 2021 Lions Series as well.

awec wrote: »
    I'll probably end up with both Sky + Eir which will be like 80 quid a month.

In fairness, still cheaper than going to the pub every weekend (in terms of money and marital brownie points).

It is a shame that BT sports don't go on the freesat system. No need for Sky then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They are a pay-TV channel; Freesat are, well, free. It’s kind of the point of it, there’s no provision in the spec for any conditional access system of any kind.

You can take eir Sport without taking Sky or any other pay TV service - you need to have had Sky in the past, or otherwise get your hands on a box and valid Sky viewing card. But you don’t need a Sky subscription.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    They are a pay-TV channel; Freesat are, well, free. It’s kind of the point of it, there’s no provision in the spec for any conditional access system of any kind.

Freesat gave the go ahead for subscription services to be on the platform. There was a lot of speculation at the time that Now TV or BT would go on it. It already has Netflix, Rakuten TV, TVUK, Ketchup and other subscription streaming services.

Whether BT could be broadcasted over the satellite system on freesat I am not sure.

Advertisement