Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing UK Nissan Leaf 2013 - 2015

Options
  • 03-07-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Lads,

i´m planning to import a Nissan Leaf 2013 – 2015 from the UK.

- Model
    Acenta with 6.6 (Fast Charger)
    Or Tekna
    - Battery owned with 12 Bars
    - Price between 8.000 to 9.000 Sterling (max 10.000 €)

I´m currently living in a rented house, but my landlord agreed and I could install a wall charger.

We don´t have a driveway, so I would need a 25 – 30 m charging wire through the garden crossing a 1m footpath. The house is an end of terrace house so it shouldn’t be in anyone’s way.

What is the max. wire length?
    How much the VRT would be?
    Any regulation in that I would need to consider?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There will be no vrt charge.

Is the footpath you mention that you have to cross, it is a public one?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 airy2001

It’s a public one but is ends after 2 m into a wall. No one ever uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I think 30-35M is way too long of a run for an extension cord if that was your thinking.....unless you use a commercial grade one used on building sites.

The wire crossing the public footpath should not be there, but if you do that, be sure to have it secured to the path when in use.

Make sure you know what you are buying. The better battery Leaf will have a foot brake and an eco button on the steering wheel. Also the interior is usually dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For a 30m extension cable I would have an external 16a CEE plug and use proper external wiring. It can be done, the products exist, but for gods sake don't just buy a standard extension cable with 3 pin plug and leave it outside!

Re the footpath you can buy covers to put over the wire (like roadworks etc use)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Op:
    1: the path is a public path and exposes you to a PL issue if someone contrives to trip over it.
    maybe consider parking car on path to block its use
    Will the cable be over the wall or through a gate?
    wall charger at 30/35 m removed is going to require a custom charging cable, which will set you back 600 ++ lids: the connectors are where the cost is, due to patents.

What will work is a granny cable charger, using a 2.5 sq extension cable: I use a 30 m 2.5 sq one every weekend with a granny cable, it works fine, no plug heating, Its fully rolled out: down side it is takes 12-15 hrs for a full charge on a 30 kWh battery

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Op:
    1: the path is a public path and exposes you to a PL issue if someone contrives to trip over it.
    maybe consider parking car on path to block its use
    Will the cable be over the wall or through a gate?
    wall charger at 30/35 m removed is going to require a custom charging cable, which will set you back 600 ++ lids: the connectors are where the cost is, due to patents.

What will work is a granny cable charger, using a 2.5 sq extension cable: I use a 30 m 2.5 sq one every weekend with a granny cable, it works fine, no plug heating, Its fully rolled out: down side it is takes 12-15 hrs for a full charge on a 30 kWh battery

Parking on the path would be illegal in all likelihood

ELM327 wrote: »
    Parking on the path would be illegal in all likelihood

Unless access is blocked, it won't be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

goz83 wrote: »
    Unless access is blocked, it won't be an issue

The path was sized for access by all possible users including wheelchair users. If you park on it, you limit its proper functioning. And if you compound that issue by running a cable that could trip someone up, you (and your landlord) are asking for trouble.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The path was sized for access by all possible users including wheelchair users. If you park on it, you limit its proper functioning. And if you compound that issue by running a cable that could trip someone up, you (and your landlord) are asking for trouble.

The OP has said that it's an end of terrace house which seems to be in a Cul de sac.

@ the OP...any chance of a google map link, or even a screen shot of the area you park?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

goz83 wrote: »
    The OP has said that it's an end of terrace house which seems to be in a Cul de sac.

@ the OP...any chance of a google map link, or even a screen shot of the area you park?

Yeah, I get that. However, while that may make a difference in terms of likely traffic on that footpath, if OP parks either wholly or in part on the footpath, he is in breach of Dublin City parking regulations. I have no idea whether there would be any penalty imposed, but we all know how even the most minor of parking infractions are dealt with by the revenue collecting machinery of local authorities around the country.

Taken from Dublin City Parking regs at

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/where-park#other

Other parking restrictions

It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users, for example:
    • No parking opposite a continuous white line.
    • No parking on a footpath (either partly or wholly).
    • No parking within 5 metres of a junction.
    • No parking at a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights, within 15 metres on the approach side or 5 metres on the other side.
    • Do not obstruct any entrance for vehicles except with the occupier’s consent.
    • No parking at a school entrance.
    • No parking on a grass margin or median.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Yeah, I get that. However, while that may make a difference in terms of likely traffic on that footpath, if OP parks either wholly or in part on the footpath, he is in breach of Dublin City parking regulations. I have no idea whether there would be any penalty imposed, but we all know how even the most minor of parking infractions are dealt with by the revenue collecting machinery of local authorities around the country.

Taken from Dublin City Parking regs at

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/where-park#other

Other parking restrictions

It is illegal to park in a way which interferes with traffic flow or obstructs or endangers other road users, for example:
    • No parking opposite a continuous white line.
    • No parking on a footpath (either partly or wholly).
    • No parking within 5 metres of a junction.
    • No parking at a pedestrian crossing or traffic lights, within 15 metres on the approach side or 5 metres on the other side.
    • Do not obstruct any entrance for vehicles except with the occupier’s consent.
    • No parking at a school entrance.
    • No parking on a grass margin or median.

We don't know where the OP is based. I'm not deliberately trying to undermine your points, but there is no way in hell the OP would have any trouble in the situation described. I see most of the rules broken on a daily basis.

Wow thanks for all the replays, so my plan was to have the wall socket by the backdoor. Then about 15 m extension lead to maybe some sort of an outside box. (see pic) Then a short wire 3 -5 M to the car.
    You can see also the footpath that is really never being used.Living in a small village in Co. Cork.

Was thinking of this wire but they are pretty expensive. Any thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Foot path picture attached, not at as simple as it sounded: so parking on the path not really a runner, illegal or not.
    Looks to me like a non runner from a PL perspective.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Have you got an aerial view?

It’s impossible to know from the photos you attached, but would it be possible to have a shorter run if the cable went under, or through the fence? If you are staying there for another couple of years, it might be worth your while running armoured cable to the fence and installing an actual charge point. From there, you can connect the public charge cable to the car. The cable you linked normally comes with the car and is 5M long. If you can put a tethered charge point on the fence across from your car (but inside the property boundary) and cut a hand sized hole in the fence, you will make life a lot easier.

Judging from the photo you attached, I would park up on the path there and plug in. An aerial view of map link would make it easier to judge.....or an aerial drawing showing the house, fence, gate, consumer unit and where you park your car.

Ok, I got a bit creative :-) and drew the house and garden from a aerial perspective.

Option A: 31 m Fuse Box -> Charging Point, 3m wire to Car
    Closer to the car with a hole in the fence

Option B: 31 m Fuse Box - > Charging Point, 5m to Car
    Here I wouldn't cross the public footpath.

What do ye think?

I would put the charge point as close as possible to where the car will be parked. In your case, it's the top right hand corner. You want the shortest possible run from the charge point to the car.

A hole in the fence to give you easy access will make it easy to charge. It's a shame you can't park on the grass.....well, maybe you could, but you could potentially get blocked in. If there was no risk of getting blocked in, I would put the charge point at the bottom left of the garden.

As a back-up, you should get a rolec charger with the domestic socket included. I have one and it's great. If someone parked in your usual spot, you would still be able to run an extension reel (one suitable for outdoor use) to the car and use the granny charger. The 3 pin socket will come in handy as an external socket too in the yard.

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/wall-mounted-chargers/products/wallpod-ev-multi-mode-type-2-tethered-cable-5m

EVMultiModetype2tetheredcable5m_2048x.jpg?v=1494940830

Yeah would like to use the green, but there are small trees planted so that probably won’t work. I think as you said the option in the top left corner inside of the fence will work best for me. The combo with the 3 pin plug sound great because there might be someone in my spot at times.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will be hunting in the next few month for a leaf and then do the installation.

Can you set a timer on the rolec charger, so It can be used with a electricity night saver tariff?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

airy2001 wrote: »
    Can you set a timer on the rolec charger, so It can be used with a electricity night saver tariff?

I don't think you can, however you can set a timer on the car to only draw from the charger during nighttime hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

You set the charge timer in your car

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Yes you can, it's a 50 quid add on option

Thanks guys found also this video how to setup the leaf timer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4dP77ogk9k

Just a quick question do all 2013 onwards leaf Tekna have the buildin 6.6 charger?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just a quick question do all 2013 onwards leaf Tekna have the buildin 6.6 charger?

No, majority have 3.6 and as the 6.6 is an expensive UK upgrade they are very low on the ground

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most are 3.3 in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

No.
    But all 2014 onwards Leafs have the better "Lizard" battery. If it has the "ECO" button on the steering wheel, it has the better battery.

Ok thank you, anyone knows how much the upgrade is 6.6 in Ireland or the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

It could only be done in the factory, can’t be retrofitted.

Think is was a €900 option in Ireland, and somewhere between £1000 and £1500 in the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Do you specifically need the 6.6OBC? And why?
    Maybe write down how it benefits you over the 3.3 and you can see if it’s worth the premium and waiting time to get one over the 3.3.

Now, if 2 are for sale, same spec, condition and price etc then the 6.6 would be selected but I know when I went looking there’s was no great importance to get the 6.6 but everyone has different circumstances.

Advertisement