Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really? You might want to have a look through the reaction to his comments across the talk shows, social media and elsewhere today ;) They don't tally up with the "outrage" coming from the other candidates and people like yourself, nowhere even close.

Shock horror, the minority of the population who text into radio shows and post on social media happen to be very opinionated.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I raised a point about your mistaken belief that Travellers can't be an ethnic group. You reply with... a laundry list of why Travellers are all terrible people? I don't follow your logic.

Do you feel there's some objective reason they don't fit the criterion for an ethnic group? Or do you just object to "official" designation as such, on the wild off-chance that it might accidentally benefit them somehow? Or interfere with your entitlement to denigrate them en masse?

You are jumping the gun. Put the safety on your trigger there boss. I gave a laundry list of traveler activities that do not fit in with Irish society. Or are you saying they don't travel? Are you suggesting they only set up on public camping grounds? Are you of the belief that they have one residential address? None of this makes them terrible people in my eyes. Their chosen lifestyle does not fit with that of Irish society. I believe we all should answer to the same laws, as much as we should all have the same rights. They can choose which laws they obey or choose to ignore, like the rest of us. Claiming any ethnic status is not about that. It's about recognition as a separate group within society. They are separate by choice IMO, therefore, by the logic applied you or I could become ethnically recognised travelers tomorrow if we wished, therefore, it's a nonsense IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

You are jumping the gun.
    Eh, no, I'm "jumping" from your digression back to the point.
    IMO, they are Irish people with the same rights as you and I. I do not believe they should be given ethic group status.

I'm saying they're an ethnic group, by the objective criteria. Views like yours rather illustrate why recognition of that is important. They don't do anything to illustrate what I keep asking you: why shouldn't that recognition occur?

Eh, no, I'm "jumping" from your digression back to the point.

I'm saying they're an ethnic group, by the objective criteria. Views like yours rather illustrate why recognition of that is important. They don't do anything to illustrate what I keep asking you: why shouldn't that recognition occur?

See above. They are Irish people who choose the lifestyle they lead. That's my opinion. They are as much an ethnic group as Farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The independent presidential candidate, Peter Casey, is to visit a controversial housing project outside Thurles tomorrow where members of the Travelling community are in dispute with Tipperary County Council.

According to his campaign diary, Mr Casey will travel to Thurles at lunchtime after a canvass in Cork, and then visit the six houses at Cabragh Bridge.

A number of Traveller families have refused to move into the newly-built homes at the €1.7 million development.

• Advertisement

See above. They are Irish people who choose the lifestyle they lead. That's my opinion. They are as much an ethnic group as Farmers.

Farmers are an occupation. Have you read any sort of definition of "an ethnic group"? Are you opposed to all recognition as a member of an ethnic group of everyone with an Irish passport? Or are you OK with that -- perhaps as a means of combating possible prejudice against other such groups (ones that might be somewhat recent From Foreign, or that are at a different point on the colour-swatch scale) -- that you presumably dislike less?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The independent presidential candidate, Peter Casey, is to visit a controversial housing project outside Thurles tomorrow where members of the Travelling community are in dispute with Tipperary County Council.

According to his campaign diary, Mr Casey will travel to Thurles at lunchtime after a canvass in Cork, and then visit the six houses at Cabragh Bridge.

A number of Traveller families have refused to move into the newly-built homes at the €1.7 million development.

Oh that's not going to end well...

He seems intent on stirring negativity towards travelers to try garner a few points in the polls. Certainly not Presidential material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Michael D said he is 'outraged' over Peter Caseys remarks. How many travellers are employed in the Arus?

A pretty good friend of mine who previously worked with Pavee Point told me earlier than Michael D has done loads work Pavee Point over the years. So I would say he very much so gives a damn.

Farmers are an occupation. Have you read any sort of definition of "an ethnic group"? Are you opposed to all recognition as a member of an ethnic group of everyone with an Irish passport? Or are you OK with that -- perhaps as a means of combating possible prejudice against other such groups (ones that might be somewhat recent From Foreign, or that are at a different point on the colour-swatch scale) -- that you presumably dislike less?

Farming is a tradition too. There is the farming community.
    'Colour swatch scale' :):) You seem to be really chomping at the bit for a sniff or racism. I'm specifically talking about the travelling community. They should not have been given ethic status IMO. Their traditions differ to the average Irish person on the most superficial levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wasn't Casey supposed to be on 6.1 News this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Casey has ensured a larger turnout for Michael D.

Nah, Theres a lot of people who will resonate with what he said, were it not for his awful debate performance the other night and comments like 'panels full of women' id consider him. He's right on the money about travellers and direct provision. Id predict he goes up a percent or 3 in the polls for that.

Nah, Theres a lot of people who will resonate with what he said, were it not for his awful debate performance the other night and comments like 'panels full of women' id consider him. He's right on the money about travellers and direct provision.

You've previously endorsed tax fraud as fine so I'm not exactly holding your view of what is 'right on the money' in high regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

If it is anyone but Michael D Vote Joan Freeman and help turn the tide of suicide.

By giving 1/2 of her money to a US charity? Not to concerned about those in crisis pregnancies with sucicidal idiation

batgoat wrote: »
    You've previously endorsed tax fraud as fine so I'm not exactly holding your view of what is 'right on the money' in high regard.

surprised you're defending the travellers yet have an issue with not paying tax (or possibly criminality in general), mutually exclusive views to hold imo.

Pavee point shifting the goalposts here saying that they didn't want free land, they wanted it to rent. Utter Lies again from Pavee Point.

Peter is actually doing well here.

He's talking about responsibilities, the madman, finally somebody brought this up.

surprised you're defending the travellers yet have an issue with not paying tax (or possibly criminality in general), mutually exclusive views to hold imo.

I have an issue with basically labeling an entire community and negatively affecting their lives as a result. By your logic, if you're a traveller, you're born a criminal, you don't think that these attitudes contribute to the high rate of suicides in the community? In addition to that, your views on Direct Provision is an opposition to refugees in general, you don't care that this state has further added to their suffering via direct provision.

So I basically prefer to live in a decent society that is going to label you from birth and isn't going to abandon those in need. Something our current president would agree with. Peter Casey will not win an election, Michael looks likely to win it by a large margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭nc6000

So our greatest asset as a country is the 75 million people who don't live here?

Thanks Peter, that's a real vote winner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Isn't the Pat Kenny-hosted debate on tonight? That'll be ... interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Advertisement

Try_harder wrote: »

1 I disagree with.
    2 isn't exactly inaccurate, the whitehosue does a lot to appease the jews and keep Israel happy. Its an important voting block for both sides of the aisle. Probably could have been worded better
    3 - do you have any context, I've never heard that mentioned at all ?
    4 is plausible
    5 is true.

1 I disagree with.

Naturally enough, as it's the thing that's most technically correct, but is also the least popular thing to be heard saying.

Isn't the Pat Kenny-hosted debate on tonight? That'll be ... interesting.

Higgins and Gallagher will be glad of the confusion of fire control which ensures that Casey gets a good chunk of the incoming, that would otherwise be coming their way...

• Registered Users Posts: 66,300 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All Casey has achieved is to allow the others to sound very presidential as they knock him back.
    Tonight's TV debate will see Casey yet again on the backfoot and Gallagher take flak for his arrogant non appearance.
    It will be a 2 horse race (If you could call it a race at all) by Thursday morning.

Pavee point shifting the goalposts here saying that they didn't want free land, they wanted it to rent. Utter Lies again from Pavee Point.

Eh? You're claiming that they're moving into rented council accommodation, but were demanding to be given clear freehold title to land for stables?

I think you're the one shifting the facts, here. If not, linky pleasey.

All Casey has achieved is to allow the others to sound very presidential as they knock him back.
    Slightly presidential in some cases, I'd say.
    It will be a 2 horse race (If you could call it a race at all) by Thursday morning.

It's seemingly like a one-and-two-fifths-horse race at the moment. Which of Riada and Gallagher is going to pull clear of the other? Maybe even get a nice expenses cheque! (OK, her party in one case.)

nc6000 wrote: »
    So our greatest asset as a country is the 75 million people who don't live here?

Thanks Peter, that's a real vote winner there.

I guess the thinking is, the ex-pats can't vote, but their neglected and bereft parents can. And as they'll necessarily be in the upper part of the age range, maybe even do vote!

It's entirely possible to deplore criminality, but not tar an entire group with that as a slur.

Eh? You're claiming that they're moving into rented council accommodation, but were demanding to be given clear freehold title to land for stables?

I think you're the one shifting the facts, here. If not, linky pleasey.

I never said anything about freehold, also the only time before the pavee point statement that 'renting' the land was mentioned was by one of the women on the site in a newspaper interview. Their original gripe is that land was 'promised' to their father.

They also have said that they weren't asking for stables but said they would put up sheds themselves. In what capacity in Ireland will the council 'rent' you land you're allowed to put sheds on .....

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Wasn't Casey supposed to be on 6.1 News this evening?

I just heard a clip from it on Drivetime. More excruciating stuff. Have the whole News ep on disk, very tempted not to bother now, though.

Advertisement