Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Gish gallop is the term. You just need to copy and paste a list from somewhere and then the other person has to take the time to go through each one and check the accuracy.

Never heard that phrase before. Cheers for that.
    A lie can travel halfway across the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Mark Twain!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

everlast75 wrote: »
    Never heard that phrase before. Cheers for that.

Another common variant is when someone posts something and most of the stuff in there is wrong for one reason or another. You could spend ages taking everything apart but it would be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Billy Mays wrote: »
    ENPeR20.png

That picture is definitely not real.

This is the devisive stuff twitter and the information war is renowned for.

Removal of middle ground. Twitter was has no sides when it wants to create division.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Well... in a sense he's right.... its because of his "purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media".

I.e. calling them "Fake News" and "The Enemy of the People"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, the other way to look at it is that at least he realizes that a problem exists. That he blames the MSM for a large part of it (not a surprise) also leaves open that he realizes that others play a role as well.

To first step to a solution is recognising their is a problem.

So lets see that he will come up on how to deal with the problem. Will he start to call out the likes of Alex Jones and Hannity? Will he demand that SHS starts to treat the WH press corp with respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well, the other way to look at it is that at least he realizes that a problem exists. That he blames the MSM for a large part of it (not a surprise) also leaves open that he realizes that others play a role as well.

To first step to a solution is recognising their is a problem.

So lets see that he will come up on how to deal with the problem. Will he start to call out the likes of Alex Jones and Hannity? Will he demand that SHS starts to treat the WH press corp with respect?

As soon as there's some other distraction, I don't think so. Next up will be the next round of the Khashoggi murder investigation, I think Turkey's said 'more to come,' and Trump'll be focused on that, MBS probably told Jared to get him to tone it down if they want the checks to keep coming.

Biden got a package too apparently.

Is there any Trump supporter here who now knows the guy is a total con and they feel hoodwinked?

I mean, surely at least one supporter herep realises that this behaviour is not acceptable and is downright dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I mean, surely at least one supporter herep realises that this behaviour is not acceptable and is downright dangerous?

From what I've seen on Twitter, the most vocal ones are convinced that Democrats sent the bombs to themselves to make the Reps look bad. Admitting that something done by a Republican is wrong? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

AS I saw on one headline, yesterday was a point that Trump could have stepped up to lead for the entire US.

And it was an easy win. Who is going to not go for better discourse, we are all the same just our ideas are different type stuff. Show solidarity with fellow Americans that are feeling unsafe.

Even forgetting about the likes of HC etc, just the normal Joe's that would have come in contact with these packages or would have been caught up in any explosion. Basically a coordinated terror attack was attempted with the US yesterday and had Trump anything of note to say?

No, it is about him, how the MSM is always mean to him etc.

These are fellow Americans and he has literally nothing of note to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

listermint wrote: »
    Billy Mays wrote: »
    ENPeR20.png

Removal of middle ground. Twitter was has no sides when it wants to create division.
    Any evidence that the picture is not real?

I am not an expert but I don't see any telltale signs of it being faked.

I mean it is a claim that has been repeated elsewhere and Trump is hardly backing down from his own rhetoric here. Doubling down even given he continues to attack the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Christy42 wrote: »

I mean it is a claim that has been repeated elsewhere and Trump is hardly backing down from his own rhetoric here. Doubling down even given he continues to attack the media.
    Seems legit, this is the original source:
    https://twitter.com/kevinsidonohoe/status/1055210613847347205

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

2nd device sent to Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Pelvis wrote: »
    2nd device sent to Biden.

Two devices sent to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Trump reminds me of Ian Paisley - whips up his supporters into a frenzy against a group of people, and is then shocked, shocked when some of them turn to violence against those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Here's another picture that is definitely not real. This one is supposedly a tweet put out by a Fox host

https://am14.akamaized.net/med/cnt/uploads/2018/10/DqW-41bWwAEeh4H.jpg

Spoiler: It definitely is real

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

serfboard wrote: »
    Trump reminds me of Ian Paisley - whips up his supporters into a frenzy against a group of people, and is then shocked, shocked when some of them turn to violence against those people.

I said it before he became president that he is a dangerous demagogue and I think everything that has happened in the past 24 hours or so shows the reality of that never mind the vile nature of his response to what happened yesterday.

What scares me most is that given the Republicans have total power at the federal level and control power over about 70% of the states that they may use this as an excuse to push through more powers for the US spy agencies, police and military that will see the country lurch even further towards becoming an authoritarian state. We already have seen the victims being blamed for yesterday and nobody standing up on the Republican side and saying stop this is too much no more. I mean lets be blunt here yesterday was an attempt at mass political assassination directed solely towards the opponents of the current regime in the US. I am not sure if the gravity of what happened yesterday is fully appreciated.

Christy42 wrote: »

Because it actually looks fake . Like looks purely fake. That's me reasoning. Where's the evidence it's real.? Looks like another spread anti other side stuff and I've no GOP love. Quite the contrary

eire4 wrote: »
    I said it before he became president that he is a dangerous demagogue and I think everything that has happened in the past 24 hours or so shows the reality of that never mind the vile nature of his response to what happened yesterday.

What scares me most is that given the Republicans have total power at the federal level and control power over about 70% of the states that they may use this as an excuse to push through more powers for the US spy agencies, police and military that will see the country lurch even further towards becoming an authoritarian state. We already have seen the victims being blamed for yesterday and nobody standing up on the Republican side and saying stop this is too much no more. I mean lets be blunt here yesterday was an attempt at mass political assassination directed solely towards the opponents of the current regime in the US. I am not sure if the gravity of what happened yesterday is fully appreciated.

What I'm very cynical of is the 'caravan'

I'd think the democrats should be spending money seeking out the creators of it. How it started in social media who pushed the agenda and how it spread. Instead they are concentrating on the humanitarian nature of it.

This caravan stuff is absolute gold to a depressed non interested GOP voter. Trump can use this like a lightening rod. I'd more really focused on who started it follows the money or the promises that were made to hear Hondurans

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Because it actually looks fake . Like looks purely fake. That's me reasoning. Where's the evidence it's real.? Looks like another spread anti other side stuff and I've no GOP love. Quite the contrary

It does look fake, but at the same time given the relatively short period of time between news coming out about the bombs and when the sign would have been made, it may just be a real but badly made sign that looks fake.

That said, it's so hard to tell these days and misinformation gets uploaded and shared so quickly that it ends up doing the intended damage regardless. I think about a part of one of Stewart Lee's stand up dvds where he tells a long story about his history with Richard Hammond when they were younger and why he doesn't like him. Then at the end, he says "Now.... that story I just told you about Richard Hammond isn't true... but I feel like what it tells us about Richard Hammond is true..."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What I'm very cynical of is the 'caravan'

I'd think the democrats should be spending money seeking out the creators of it. How it started in social media who pushed the agenda and how it spread. Instead they are concentrating on the humanitarian nature of it.

This caravan stuff is absolute gold to a depressed non interested GOP voter. Trump can use this like a lightening rod. I'd more really focused on who started it follows the money or the promises that were made to hear Hondurans

The caravan started because some people decided that it was safer to travel together, then some more people joined them for the same reason, then some more joined, then lots more. There isn't any mystery or investigation needed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The caravan thing is 1,000 miles from the border, it's been made sound like it's just about in Tijuana.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump being utterly tone deaf with his tweet this morning. I heard MSNBC saying that all sides who have contributed to the way American political discourse is should own their own actions. Donald trump needs to bloody own his part and what he has done as president of the USA to get them as a country to this point. It was Katy tur who was talking about it btw. Nobody I saw last night on CNN or MSNBC or even ABC were saying that Trump is "wholly" to blame for these incidents and it would ill informed to do that. They were asking for him to at least take responsibility for what he has done. That's hardly a big ask is it ?

robinph wrote: »
    The caravan started because some people decided that it was safer to travel together, then some more people joined them for the same reason, then some more joined, then lots more. There isn't any mystery or investigation needed about it.

I'm sorry but that is utter nonsense. There is no way that 5000 Hondurans up and left for no reason. 95 % of the group yes probably seen this has safety in numbers but the originators of this 'movement' need to be examined. It's all too convenient for a GOP looking for central issues to rally around.

Either by paid instigators or by instigators promised a new life by intermediateries.

This is too much gold to fall into trumps lap at this time in a mid term campaign.

Caravans are not abnormal but the scale of this one needs examination. Convient enemies at the gates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Not to most normal people

Probably is to someone who can't admit to being wrong about anything ever

Hurrache wrote: »
    The caravan thing is 1,000 miles from the border, it's been made sound like it's just about in Tijuana.

Yep.

20 miles per day. They might be there by Christmas.

Imminent threat and all that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Pence: Thoughts and prayers.

Trump: What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The bomber is being called the magabomber.
    I approve if this.

Remind me to never annoy Katy Tur.

• Advertisement

Also this stuff about Trump using unsecured phones is just another example of him not getting the office he holds. All prime ministers/presidents should have the cop on to try and protect what they say and to who they say it to and follow the advance they are given which it appears trump was but still does it anyway. It like his phone usage is like his foreign policy thinking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement