Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's funny how racists don't like racism when they perceive it to be directed at them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

is anybody watching the rally

I would rather stick red hot nails into my eyeballs.

trumps stock market bounce has materialized
    thats a good day for him

It's been going up for 8 solid years under Obama, funny how the right never seems to notice that.
    And who caused the crash?
    Bush.
    Funny, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

trumps stock market bounce has materialized
    thats a good day for him

It's been going up for 8 solid years under Obama, funny how the right never seems to notice that.
    And who caused the crash?
    Bush.
    Funny, that.
    There is a reason none of them are joining on that line. The stock market this year has been largely flat (well up and down around the same point). No permanent bounces though we do have one or two that pop up for the big bounces and disappear for the drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Christy42 wrote: »
    There is a reason none of them are joining on that line. The stock market this year has been largely flat (well up and down around the same point). No permanent bounces though we do have one or two that pop up for the big bounces and disappear for the drops.

Pssst! Don't mention the national debt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, a new day, ,a new gutter nosedive by Trump.
    https://variety.com/2018/politics/news/trump-racist-ad-asylum-seekers-murderer-1203016934/

"Trump Posts Pro-GOP Ad Comparing Migrants to Convicted Murderer"

Probably will be negative bounce for Trump for this though hard to believe he can go lower. Still, it's almost Friday, the elections are next week.

Oh, now Trump's claiming 10-15000 troops sent. Another few billion down the drain.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Pssst! Don't mention the national debt

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/america-is-bankrupt-and-republicans-couldnt-care-less/
    The last time the deficit ran this high was 2012, part of a four-year, trillion-dollar-plus spending run in the aftermath of the financial crisis and ensuing bailout tsunami. This time Washington is breaching the trillion dollar barrier during seemingly good economic times.

And this is from a conservative source! It confirms that the GOP is like a spider that's being eaten up from the inside by a parasite. God knows what will spring forth once it keels over dead. But then we've all seen the worm since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That's the thing. We aren't paranoid and have no reason to be, living here in Ireland.

If we were living on the Mexican, American border. I'd bet my house that you'd be paranoid and waiting in anticipation for those 15,000 troops to arrive and be pretty pissed off with CNN saying that you as a white man are the biggest threat to the country that you born and raised in.
    How many thousands of Irish people arrived on those coffin ships in the 1840s and beyond?

American identity is based on being the land of freedom and opportunity, a refuge for people fleeing persecution and poverty.

It was the good that balanced out the negative aspects of american history, but now its being crushed by hatred and fear and xenophobic rhetoric aimed at stirring up and appealing to the worst in human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

And you haven't said anything about the ridiculous racist rhetoric in the CNN video I posted either.

Which part do yo find racist?

A year out of date, some stats on what group's the biggest domestic terror threat in the US: White males. No surprise here. Don Lemon's right.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/2/16396612/las-vegas-mass-shooting-terrorism-islam

(and, the numbers don't change in the last year, either)

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    And, a new day, ,a new gutter nosedive by Trump.
    https://variety.com/2018/politics/news/trump-racist-ad-asylum-seekers-murderer-1203016934/

"Trump Posts Pro-GOP Ad Comparing Migrants to Convicted Murderer"

Probably will be negative bounce for Trump for this though hard to believe he can go lower. Still, it's almost Friday, the elections are next week.

Oh, now Trump's claiming 10-15000 troops sent. Another few billion down the drain.

If he did nothing wrong in the last 2 or so years, and there were no negative stories at all in that time, and then posted this - I would still call him a race baiting, xenophobic, opportunist, hypocritical, manipulating piece of ****.

Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That's the thing. We aren't paranoid and have no reason to be, living here in Ireland.

If we were living on the Mexican, American border. I'd bet my house that you'd be paranoid and waiting in anticipation for those 15,000 troops to arrive and be pretty pissed off with CNN saying that you as a white man are the biggest threat to the country that you born and raised in.

You might well be pissed, but its a pretty clear fact.

Angry white men are a major source of threat to the US.

From armed militia groups (which are given a pass for some reason based on protection or some such nonsense) to school shootings, Las Vegas shooting, recent Pittsburgh shorting, Oklahoma bombing, Unabomber, the recent parcel bombs.

Whilst it may of course be a matter of argument just which class is the biggest threat (and that all comes down to the metrics used etc) there is no doubt that the white American male is a big problem within the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You might well be pissed, but its a pretty clear fact.

Angry white men are a major source of threat to the US.

From armed militia groups (which are given a pass for some reason based on protection or some such nonsense) to school shootings, Las Vegas shooting, recent Pittsburgh shorting, Oklahoma bombing, Unabomber, the recent parcel bombs.

Whilst it may of course be a matter of argument just which class is the biggest threat (and that all comes down to the metrics used etc) there is no doubt that the white American male is a big problem within the US.

How many people have these armed militias killed in comparison to say Illegal immigrants in recent history? Actually how many people have this large threat to the US ever killed?

Also I notice that you leave out any political ideals or leanings that these " Angry white men" have and just cover them under the umbrella of "Angry white men" would you do the same for Muslim terrorists that have perpetrated no shortage of terrorist attacks. If I said that "Muslims" were a big problem in the US would that be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Celticfire wrote: »
    How many people have these armed militias killed in comparison to say Illegal immigrants in recent history? Actually how many people have this large threat to the US ever killed?

Also I notice that you leave out any political ideals or leanings that these " Angry white men" have and just cover them under the umbrella of "Angry white men" would you do the same for Muslim terrorists that have perpetrated no shortage of terrorist attacks. If I said that "Muslims" were a big problem in the US would that be ok?

No but 'angry Muslims' in this instance would probably be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would say no in that they are not comparable. "Muslims" refers to a whole demographic. "Angry white men" refers to only a minor subset of white people.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But they aren't though, are they?

Maybe that's because there aren't that many of them and the most that are there are home-grown rather than coming in from dodgy places

Either way, "muslims" are not really a "problem" there. Big or small

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Igotadose wrote: »
    A year out of date, some stats on what group's the biggest domestic terror threat in the US: White males. No surprise here. Don Lemon's right.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/2/16396612/las-vegas-mass-shooting-terrorism-islam

(and, the numbers don't change in the last year, either)

US citizens are twice as likely to commit a crime as illegal immigrants.

I didn't say the militia had carried out any threats, but they are a clear and present danger to the US, this is the very reason for their existence. They dress this up in terms of protecting people from the government, but who decides that? People vote for the government, who gives these guys the right to openly threaten the US?

I don't care about their political leanings. I was responding to a post that lamented that white men were being classed as a major threat and I gave examples of that being the case. Very clearly white men carry out very many 'terrorist' attacks in the US. Of course, they are not classified as terrorists, that is left to Muslims and those from the Middle East, but the likes of the Las Vegas Shooting, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma etc are all very much domestic terrorism.

Until the US face up to the fact that they face a very real and dangerous threat from within, rather than spending all their time and money and the foreign bogey man, things won't get better.

In terms of Muslims, the fear of attack far outweights the evidence. Think of all the school shootings that take place. Nearly all done by white males. If even one is done by a Muslim you can bet that people will be calling for a ban, a wall, death penalty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/10/31/cnn-host-don-lemon-said-white-men-are-biggest-terror-threat-this-country/

All in there.
    Also, 11000 people are killed EACH YEAR in the US by gun violence.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-mass-shootings-in-america-this-year-2018-2

On the armed militias, which you seem to think are totally fine?
    Could you imagine that anywhere in Europe, Australia, Canada or any other halfway civilised country?
    To even suggest that armed militias in an civilised country is ok is just borderline insane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_organizations_in_the_United_States

These people are nothing but delusional idiots with some dangerous Walter Mitty style fantasies. And they wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real confrontation with US law enforcement.

It is pretty evident that white men in the US are by far the most dangerous group, that the US is becoming a gun obsessed and religious fundamentalist country.

There is a small elite at the very top of America and they rule while the 99% are fighting with each other.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/10/31/cnn-host-don-lemon-said-white-men-are-biggest-terror-threat-this-country/

All in there.
    Also, 11000 people are killed EACH YEAR in the US by gun violence.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-many-mass-shootings-in-america-this-year-2018-2

On the armed militias, which you seem to think are totally fine?
    Could you imagine that anywhere in Europe, Australia, Canada or any other halfway civilised country?
    To even suggest that armed militias in an civilised country is ok is just borderline insane.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_organizations_in_the_United_States

These people are nothing but delusional idiots with some dangerous Walter Mitty style fantasies. And they wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real confrontation with US law enforcement.

It is pretty evident that white men in the US are by far the most dangerous group, that the US is becoming a gun obsessed and religious fundamentalist country.

There is a small elite at the very top of America and they rule while the 99% of morons are fighting with each other.

• Advertisement

If one of their own hadn't ratted them out, these Kansas Militia types would've killed plenty: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-militia-men-convicted-of-planning-mosque-attack-say-they-were-inspired/

I remember this case from 2016. Feds got lucky. Further, it's a pip to read what their attorney says in their sentencing memorandum to the Judge: "“As long as the Executive Branch condemns Islam and commends and encourages violence against would-be enemies, then a sentence imposed by the Judicial Branch does little to deter people generally from engaging in such conduct if they believe they are protecting their countries from enemies identified by their own Commander-in-Chief,”

Their defense was, they were goaded into it by Trump and just following orders.

Let's ask a different question about the militias - what good have they done? Maybe they've not done as much direct harm as others, but do they do any good? Invading public lands (oregon) for the sh1ts and giggles of it, and at least 1 of them got killed in a subsequent shootout with the feds? "Protecting" some neanderthal cattle rancher's lying claims to grazing lands where he refuses to pay fees?

Basically, they fly under the Fed's radar until they make trouble. If a whole gaggle of them descend on the border when there's some number of thousands of US military around, they will either meekly and quietly do something, or get their arses handed to them should they misbehave.

I'm sorry. I thought the problem was mexicans, hence the army being sent urgently to stop a convoy 2 months away.

Or is it now muslims?

Or is it just brown people in general? And white people are fine?

So going by the last few replies Militias are Walter Mitty delusional types that have done no real harm to date, that will meekly back away into the background if confronted, somehow exemplifies how White males are more of a threat than Illegal Immigrants such as members of MS13 ( who's wonderful motto is "kill, steal, rape, control")that have actually raped and killed people over the years.
    Leyroy42 wrote:
    I don't care about their political leanings. I was responding to a post that lamented that white men were being classed as a major threat and I gave examples of that being the case. Very clearly white men carry out very many 'terrorist' attacks in the US. Of course, they are not classified as terrorists, that is left to Muslims and those from the Middle East, but the likes of the Las Vegas Shooting, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma etc are all very much domestic terrorism.

Perfect so you want to lump all white males into the same group. Can I do that with Blacks in Chicago or Detroit." Black males are a major threat in Chicago."... that statement ok?
    Any evidence that White males don't get labelled terrorists? There's no shortage of terrorist activity carried out by right wing types and classified as right wing terror acts so how you can try to claim that it's only Muslims or Middle Easterners that are classified as terrorists I don't know.
    In terms of Muslims, the fear of attack far outweights the evidence. Think of all the school shootings that take place. Nearly all done by white males. If even one is done by a Muslim you can bet that people will be calling for a ban, a wall, death penalty.

That's a great consolation to the victims of The Boston Bombings, Pulse Nightclub, San Bernardino etc. How many thwarted attacks have there been?
    Do they celebrate school shooters. I wasn't aware that if you were a White mass murderer you somehow got special treatment that allowed you to escape the death penalty.

The point that the poster was trying to make was that Lemon said "people should not demonize any one group" and in the next breath go and demonize white males. But that's ok ,that can and will be justified but the same standard will not be tolerated if applied to anyone but White males.

I'm sorry. I thought the problem was mexicans, hence the army being sent urgently to stop a convoy 2 months away.

Or is it now muslims?

Or is it just brown people in general? And white people are fine?

Didn't you get the memo? Evidently the problem in the US, that was actually hiding under your noses is White Males. Why anyone would want to cross the border into a place that is under such a threat by White Males I don't know.

Didn't you get the memo? Evidently the problem in the US, that was actually hiding under your noses is White Males. Why anyone would want to cross the border into a place that is under such a threat by White Males I don't know.

yeah - you didn't answer the question.

I take it therefore your view is indeed; white = good, brown/black = bad.

How very Animal Farm of you.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/migrant-caravan-us-armed-militia-groups-mexico-texas-border-trump-immigration-a8604371.html

Can anyone name one SINGLE country in the developed western world where anything like this happens? Anyone? How the eff issue that normal? Am I the only one who thinks it's messed up?
    Armed rabbles consisting of private citizens would be something I'd expect in Iraq or Syria.
    From the article
    But in Arivaca, Arizona, residents have posted signs in recent weeks warning that militia members are not welcome.

Marianna Trevino Wright, of South Texas, said she was more fearful of the militias than the caravan.

“It will end badly,” she predicted.

Oh yes it will. My prediction, the group will enter someone's land, they won't like it, there will be a shootout, law enforcement will get involved and then all hell will break lose.
    Maybe Trump even hopes for something like that? Might it allow him to enact emergency legislation that will grant him almost limitless power to act?
    Was he aiming for this all along?

yeah - you didn't answer the question.

I take it therefore your view is indeed; white = good, brown/black = bad.

How very Animal Farm of you.

How very patronising of you. Bravo.

How about you go and show me where I've said white good and brown/ black bad. I like how you like to try to paint me as some sort of Racist. But then again that's the default reaction...….. to be expected.

Perfect so you want to lump all white males into the same group. Can I do that with Blacks in Chicago or Detroit." Black males are a major threat in Chicago."... that statement ok?

Bingo, now you are starting to get it.

See, it isn't nice when people contribute an entire race or group based on the actions of a few is it?
    Well, imagine how the treatment of Muslims, of Mexicans, or people from the Middle East feels to them. It isn't nice.
    Remember the chaos caused by Trump ill fated Muslim ban on the days it was brought in? People living peacefully in the US couldn't get back home from holiday because white people were scared of Muslims.

Why should white males be treated any differently, simply because we think that most of them must be good? Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

How very patronising of you. Bravo.

How about you go and show me where I've said white good and brown/ black bad. I like how you like to try to paint me as some sort of Racist. But then again that's the default reaction...….. to be expected.

Perhaps you could Answer his question so and that might allow you to quit the 'mammy he called me a racist' whining.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Bingo, now you are starting to get it.

See, it isn't nice when people contribute an entire race or group based on the actions of a few is it?
    Well, imagine how the treatment of Muslims, of Mexicans, or people from the Middle East feels to them. It isn't nice.
    Remember the chaos caused by Trump ill fated Muslim ban on the days it was brought in? People living peacefully in the US couldn't get back home from holiday because white people were scared of Muslims.

Why should white males be treated any differently, simply because we think that most of them must be good? Rubbish.

So lumping in all an entire race or group based on the action of a few is wrong. So now explain to me why after saying that this is a bad thing you and others then actually go on to do the thing that you despise? You defended the lumping in of all White Men into one group (the biggest threat group). I'm intrigued how posters here can give out about something when they themselves do the exact same when it suits their argument.

Would you say that the biggest threat facing Mexico is the Mexican Male?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement