Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

lidl laptop - NOT a Bargain

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

lighthouse wrote: »
    It's 64Gb. Yea might be the current market price but it was for sale for 250e only a few months ago.
    Sounds like a good deal to me.

Your right actualy.

Just checked did where its 290 and currys where its 270

I ordered one last week from laptops direct for 200 + delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I'm just assuming it's 64Gb as that's what I seemed to see for this model online.
    I rang Lidl customer support just now to check. Your man didn't know but he said he will check and get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Rubbish laptop. You'd get similar performance purchasing a netbook from 10 years ago. Would have to pay me to take it.

Jlayay wrote: »
    Rubbish laptop. You'd get similar performance purchasing a netbook from 10 years ago. Would have to pay me to take it.

at that price range, and for those specs, its actually pretty good value.

obviously its not a flagship piece of machinery, but absolutely grand for light student usage such as word processing and some excel and publisher.

sydthebeat wrote: »

at that price range, and for those specs, its actually pretty good value.

obviously its not a flagship piece of machinery, but absolutely grand for light student usage such as word processing and some excel and publisher.
    Yea I'm with you on this. For 200 yo yos it's a steal. Sure ya wouldn't have much change out of that on a night out.

• Advertisement

For anyone that's interested this laptop has 64gb of emmc memory.
    It runs windows 10s which is the main reason I didn't buy it. This means that you can only download programs from the app store.
    I was in my local store this morning and saw this on the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Rubbish laptop, operating system is rubbish. You'd be far better off buying a good Chromebook for the same money. They are higher spec and have better software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It runs windows 10s which is the main reason I didn't buy it. This means that you can only download programs from the app store.

Are you sure its 10s? I never seen a review of this laptop running anything other than Full Windows 10

Edit - On PC World its listed as Windows 10s alright. Pity makes it less a deal.

Rubbish laptop, operating system is rubbish. You'd be far better off buying a good Chromebook for the same money. They are higher spec and have better software

Unless you need some specific windows applications.

I don't agree. This one has hardware decoding for movies and USB3, USBC WIFI N, huge battery life. Performance is like a decent Core2Duo in a full sized laptop. But thats good enough for office tasks or carrying around.

The main drawback is that it has a low end screen which is dim in bright light, like outdoors. Its also not upgradable. And the CPU isn't going to do any heavy duty tasks.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

Are you sure its 10s? I never seen a review of this laptop running anything other than Full Windows 10

Edit - On PC World its listed as Windows 10s alright. Pity makes it less a deal.
    100% sure it's Windows 10s. I had the box in my hand. Still thinking of going back to get it.

Is it not simply a case of clicking a few buttons to unrestrict windows Pro or home on Windows 10s machines?

I think officially you have to pay about 50 to upgrade. But I'm not sure never done it.

You could also put Linux on it, I've been reading some forums about that.

I'm also thinking of getting it a homework, study machine. I have an older 100s and while you wouldn't use it as a main machine, ours tends to get a decent amount of use as its very light, always seems to have battery when better laptops don't. Handy movie machine for the kids on holiday. Hooked it up to the hotel TV and played 1080 movies from it. Also handy to throw in a bad in case you need a VPN or net access while travelling.

Once you need to do something that takes a bit of time, I tend to go back to proper full sized laptop or desktop. Screens are better, more power, better keyboard etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You could install Win10 on it via USB in 30 minutes, works forever unactivated so it's not really any kind of big deal.

I've never used it but Win 10 S sounds pretty restricting to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭romperstomper

You could install Win10 on it via USB in 30 minutes, works forever unactivated so it's not really any kind of big deal.

I've never used it but Win 10 S sounds pretty restricting to be fair.

unactivated windows 10 has an irritating watermark on the screen at all times - even on full screen apps like games

unactivated windows 10 has an irritating watermark on the screen at all times - even on full screen apps like games

Can't turn off all the crud they stuffed through the interface either. The watermark doesn't appear in games for me.

Can you put software for a printer on it?
    I have a Canon printer, only 2 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on the person but I think it's barely noticeable, if even at all, I've had it like that for years on various builds and never even occurred to me.

It's in the bottom right corner, it's not as if it's thrust in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

You could upgrade to full Win 10, but with 64GB eMMC memory you'll have little for anything else.
    Hence why they put Win10s on these entry machines

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

You can disable s-mode and run Windows normally apparently.

https://www.howtogeek.com/360007/how-to-leave-windows-10s-s-mode/amp/

• Advertisement

You could upgrade to full Win 10, but with 64GB eMMC memory you'll have little for anything else.
    Hence why they put Win10s on these entry machines

I've have windows 10 on my 32gb and it has about 15gb free. Nothing else on it mind. Had to do a clean install for big updates though. As Windows is too stupid to use a usb card for updates.

Can you put software for a printer on it?
    I have a Canon printer, only 2 years old.

If the printer has Windows 10 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

My wife bought one this morning for a course she's doing.
    I ran through windows update to get the latest version 1803, then changed to Win 10 Pro S to Win 10 Pro via the MS store in 5mins.
    Chrome installed and access to google docs offline should cover most of her needs.
    Only 20Gb storage remaining but I'll run the disk cleanup tool to remove updates so should hopefully have 50% disk space left.
    It has 2 USB-SS ports and a USB-C so will be able to use external drives if needed.

Not a rocket of a machine but for €200 it'll do and if she doesn't like it I'll see how Ubuntu runs on it for myself.

theShire wrote: »

My wife bought one this morning for a course she's doing.
    I ran through windows update to get the latest version 1803, then changed to Win 10 Pro S to Win 10 Pro via the MS store in 5mins.
    Chrome installed and access to google docs offline should cover most of her needs.
    Only 20Gb storage remaining but I'll run the disk cleanup tool to remove updates so should hopefully have 50% disk space left.
    It has 2 USB-SS ports and a USB-C so will be able to use external drives if needed.

Not a rocket of a machine but for €200 it'll do and if she doesn't like it I'll see how Ubuntu runs on it for myself.
    Pity you didn't keep Windows S on it for a while before you changed it. Then you would be able to compare and see if the change slowed it down much.

The older 100s and 110s had a M2 slot on the motherboard. They've removed it with the 120s. But otherwise its a better machine.

Pity you didn't keep Windows S on it for a while before you changed it. Then you would be able to compare and see if the change slowed it down much.

She needs it for docs/reports etc and wasn't planning on buying MS Office, so had to remove S-mode to install Open-/Libre-Office or Google Docs via Chrome

beauf wrote: »
    The older 100s and 110s had a M2 slot on the motherboard. They've removed it with the 120s. But otherwise its a better machine.

Would have been nice to upgrade the ssd alright but as I said, the USB ports should be grand for using an external Drive if needed

I just ran through the steps at https://m.windowscentral.com/how-reclaim-space-after-upgrading-windows-10-april-2018-update and its now got 35GB free of 55GB available so its worth doing the cleanup.

Would have been nice to upgrade the ssd alright but as I said, the USB ports should be grand for using an external Drive if needed

On the older machines with 32gb you can't download the large updates there isn't room. Do you have to wipe and fresh install. So the M2 slot would solve that. The windows update is too stupid to use a external drive.

• Advertisement

I just ran through the steps at https://m.windowscentral.com/how-reclaim-space-after-upgrading-windows-10-april-2018-update and its now got 35GB free of 55GB available so its worth doing the cleanup.

What do you think of the machine anyway.

Advertisement