Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats it worth ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Double wavey fireballs haha

I used to think that was the bees knees that one :D In MAME land that’s the “M5” rom. Fun to play for a nostalgia trip, but the actually game is horribly broken difficulty wise it’s that easy.

D3V!L wrote: »
    What sort of PSU can it be substituted for ?

A standard Jamma PSU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Inviere wrote: »
    I used to think that was the bees knees that one :D In MAME land that’s the “M5” rom. Fun to play for a nostalgia trip, but the actually game is horribly broken difficulty wise it’s that easy.

Yeh it’s brutal haha I remember at one stage they had a pool/snooker hall in where seven days was after it closed , it only lasted a while I think and there was a small room at the back with a couple of cabs In it and one of them was sf2 that bootleg you are talking about. I can still remember a load of us in there playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Inviere wrote: »
    A standard Jamma PSU

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Double wavey fireballs haha, think one in the bowling alley in palmerstown was upgraded to new challengers at one stage.

Was called XLBowl at the time. I was a regular there and had the honour of being the first to play SF2 CE edition. Remeber the day vividly.

There was crowds behind me. Foolishly I selected Ken (the great thing about CE was you could select one or the 4 bosses but selected Ken by instinct) to the sound of groans behind me. I had a good run beating challengers until one of the SF2 regulars took me out with a Sagat Tiger upper cut.

Memories. I want a unit now.

• Advertisement

Yeh they had 3 of these electrocoins in the outside part and 1 upright with street fighter 2 in the little "cave" room. Ive been trying to remember what cabs they had in it, they changed a few over the years but i remember if you are standing at the entrance to the cave room looking in, starting on your left

Chase HQ upright
    Super Pang - later changed to tetris i think
    Football Champ
    Street fighter 2 WW
    Mortal Kombat 1 i think intially, maybe 2 later
    World Rally upright
    Simpsons 4 player then at the back wall, was also turtles 4 player at one stage
    Sunset riders
    Final Fight
    WWF Wrestlefest
    Puzzle bobble i think..
    Think i might be missing two cabs over on that right wall..

Outside they had the 3 electrocoins and they also had 2 sit down candy type cabs, low down ones, not sure what they where but they where back to back. One was gemini wing and the other was a top down motorbike game shooter, you had a side car too, i found the name of it before but cant remember it now.

Was a great arcade in fairness, id love to see a photo of it!

Yeh it’s brutal haha I remember at one stage they had a pool/snooker hall in where seven days was after it closed , it only lasted a while I think and there was a small room at the back with a couple of cabs In it and one of them was sf2 that bootleg you are talking about. I can still remember a load of us in there playing it.

I remember the place well. Tiny little room at the back with a handful of cabs in it. Can’t remember any of the other games that were there, only SF2. That game had some affect on the arcade scene.
    elbyrneo wrote: »
    Was called XLBowl at the time. I was a regular there and had the honour of being the first to play SF2 CE edition. Remeber the day vividly.

There was crowds behind me. Foolishly I selected Ken (the great thing about CE was you could select one or the 4 bosses but selected Ken by instinct) to the sound of groans behind me. I had a good run beating challengers until one of the SF2 regulars took me out with a Sagat Tiger upper cut.

Memories. I want a unit now.

Was semi regular there myself, was wonderful walking in with a pocket full of 20p coins hearing the various SF2 machines blasting out sounds. First time I beat SF2 was up there

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

A room full of various Electrocoin "unigame" cabs in this video.

There is a row of goliath models that look lovely together (the goliath model was before xenon and duet but I've never seen one for sale in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Yeh they had 3 of these electrocoins in the outside part and 1 upright with street fighter 2 in the little "cave" room. Ive been trying to remember what cabs they had in it, they changed a few over the years but i remember if you are standing at the entrance to the cave room looking in, starting on your left

Chase HQ upright
    Super Pang - later changed to tetris i think
    Football Champ
    Street fighter 2 WW
    Mortal Kombat 1 i think intially, maybe 2 later
    World Rally upright
    Simpsons 4 player then at the back wall, was also turtles 4 player at one stage
    Sunset riders
    Final Fight
    WWF Wrestlefest
    Puzzle bobble i think..
    Think i might be missing two cabs over on that right wall..

Outside they had the 3 electrocoins and they also had 2 sit down candy type cabs, low down ones, not sure what they where but they where back to back. One was gemini wing and the other was a top down motorbike game shooter, you had a side car too, i found the name of it before but cant remember it now.

Was a great arcade in fairness, id love to see a photo of it!

Ah God i want a time machine. Would never have remembered them all but you have brought back the memories thanks! Was def MK1 first then MK2. Couldn't believe MK2 was so graphic at the time but when bought it on the SNES and it was all PG friendly without the blood!

I went through phases of final fight, then wrestlefest (Wasnt it last fight v Legion of Doom to win the game?) then sunset riders and MK2 (sub-zero or raiden, never experimented further). SF2 and SF2 CE were the constants.

A bit after but sega Virtua Racing was outside the room by the reception kiosk too. Played that quite a bit.

The monitor should still come on even ignoring the jamma supply is toast

• Advertisement

The monitor should still come on even ignoring the jamma supply is toast

and check the 2x fuses that screw out of the power supply

When you say the psu is gone can I ask how you know if you can’t open it ?

I’m just asking because I’ve bought cabs off people before and they just didn’t have a power cable plugged in the back. Another guy once didn’t know the cab had a power switch on the top he thought it wasn’t working.

I’m not saying this is the case here but just curious how you can see the psu isn’t there if you can’t open it up ?

also this cab has 2x internal power cut off switches at front and back that if not held in all the way it will kill the power.

When you say the psu is gone can I ask how you know if you can’t open it ?

I’m just asking because I’ve bought cabs off people before and they just didn’t have a power cable plugged in the back. Another guy once didn’t know the cab had a power switch on the top he thought it wasn’t working.

I’m not saying this is the case here but just curious how you can see the psu isn’t there if you can’t open it up ?

A guess at this stage. I know about the switch at the top. Picking it up in the morning so I'll have some proper time with it rather than my first cursory glance.

ah cool, hopefully its all there!
    I bought a cab before for 300, it was a atari cab, with street fighter 2 pcb, monitor not working. when i opened it up (i had to drill the locks) it had a street fighter alpha in it and a tetris pcb as well!

I got it home this morning after a lot of fun taking it apart . Thanks to everyone for the hint and tips of taking it apart.

It has a GameBox 2008 emulator running with a push button coin by pass. 445 games including all the Street Fighters in the memory and basically every other great.

The screen, sound and controls are all working. We even found the service sheet from 1991 in the back panel.

Little edit :

Just spent the evening sitting in the garage with this having some serious craic !! The sound is quite loud and the neighbours are wondering whats going on :P

458744.jpg

458745.jpg

458746.jpg

458747.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Just spent the evening sitting in the garage with this having some serious craic !! The sound is quite loud and the neighbours are wondering whats going on :P
    You should be able to turn the volume down on the board itself, if it’s not a physical button, in the service menu

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Excellent, monitor looks to be in good condition! I wonder did it undergo a service back in 2008 or so when that multi board went in?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Excellent, monitor looks to be in good condition! I wonder did it undergo a service back in 2008 or so when that multi board went in?

Looks like it's original kit to me .

Nice machine, deadly it’s working, would you not keep it? I think the problem’s gonna be that few arcade enthusiasts in the country have the space for such a monster. Could be wrong but probably gonna be a difficult sell. Although I may be wrong(happened once before), Token maybe?
    Also the multigame’s very dated, running Linux based on p3 with 256mb ram.

• Advertisement

Nice machine, deadly it’s working, would you not keep it? I think the problem’s gonna be that few arcade enthusiasts in the country have the space for such a monster. Could be wrong but probably gonna be a difficult sell. Although I may be proved wrong, Token?
    Also the multigame’s very dated, running Linux based on p3 with 256mb ram.

It's up on the arcade marketplace now for sale. We're in two minds to sell. If I can find a buyer then so be it otherwise it'll be moved to my in-laws house which has no shortage of space to take pride of place in their new bar.

As to the question now of what it's worth, personally I feel you'd be doing quite well to get the €600 for it. As a nostalgic fan of these cabs, the most I'd likely part with would be around €350/€400 (even at that I'm not in the market for one, just a 'gut instinct' feeling of reasonable price)

I'd agree on the 350/400.
    The multi game is worth 0 in my opinion.
    That and it's fairly butchered up.
    Still very cool but MASSIVE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Not as big as I remember, last time I was on one I was probably about 8 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks like a good cab alright, I'd say Token would be interested also for a two player sit down.
    Fair play in not putting it on adverts, it would get butchered.

On topic of the thread though I’d agree with the above posters, €300-€400 is about what I’d consider reasonable. To warrant €600+ it would need to be mint, ie. mint control panel, inc new sticks, buttons, perfect seats, no cabinet damage or at least repaired and touched up.

Thanks for all the advice lads. It was sold for asking this evening.

I do get to keep it for a week though :D until the buyer finds a way to move it. It was funny watching him turn up in a Passat .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks for all the advice lads. It was sold for asking this evening.

I do get to keep it for a week though :D until the buyer finds a way to move it. It was funny watching him turn up in a Passat .

That was quick, nicely done :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    That was quick, nicely done :)

Yeah the lad is mad into his games and has weekly game nights

• Advertisement

Glad it sold. I was almost going to put an offer in so I'm saved :D

It's a very rare cab to see for sale but I'm sure there are many more in old arcade warehouses and storage lockers up and down the country.

As for what it's really worth is hard to say but imho 600 was a fair price with no screen burn. Supply and demand may have even made more and it's whatever someone is willing to pay.

People pay literally thousands for the plastic Japanese style candy cabs. I don't understand why the demand is so high as to me they have no nostalgic value having never seen them in the local arcades growing up. Wooden cabs thankfully still go for a lot less even though they have the nostalgic factor.

Advertisement