Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats it worth ??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

D3V!L wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice lads. It was sold for asking this evening.

Well done :) You did very well to get the asking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Well done and at least it got a good home also.

Does the guy know anything about arcade machines? Send him here if he needs any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

That and it's fairly butchered up.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "butchered up" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'd say he means the CP and the seating section.

The control panel was always part of the whole cab so it was cut and rebolted on in the case of that cab. The same for the seating section. That was put back with timber screws.

Usually whenever you see timber screws on a cab it's a bad sign.

But that cab in particular to have it properly "restored" would need the CP to be permanently refitted inside the cab, the outside filled and sanded and new side art applied, or touched up, I don't know if the sides are painted?. The seats would need a similar job done. That's what I would personally do anyway

The best thing about those cabs is the metal CP, 20 years later and it's still grand, if that was timber you can guarantee that there would be so many different button holes in there

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People pay literally thousands for the plastic Japanese style candy cabs. I don't understand why the demand is so high as to me they have no nostalgic value having never seen them in the local arcades growing up. Wooden cabs thankfully still go for a lot less even though they have the nostalgic factor.

Because they've bigger, nicer CRT monitors, are far better made (metal and plastic rather than chipboard) and fit into a home nicely.

I've two in my living room and you'd hardly notice they're there. Had one woody jamma cabinet and it was like the monolith from 2001 A Space Oddessy in the corner :D

I found I got over the nostalgia of a stand up wood cabinets very quickly, candies are a lot more practical and mor comfortable to play.

Saying that, if I had the space I'd have loved a duet. Can't beat a sit down cab!

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Because they've bigger, nicer CRT monitors, are far better made (metal and plastic rather than chipboard) and fit into a home nicely.

I've two in my living room and you'd hardly notice they're there. Had one woody jamma cabinet and it was like the monolith from 2001 A Space Oddessy in the corner :D

I found I got over the nostalgia of a stand up wood cabinets very quickly, candies are a lot more practical and mor comfortable to play.

Saying that, if I had the space I'd have loved a duet. Can't beat a sit down cab!

I've had 2 candies and the blast city was especially an amazing addition to my living room.

I kind of regret selling it recently, even though it turned into a pinball machine....which then turned into my wife's engagement ring.

I'd definitely like another candy at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Inviere wrote: »
    As to the question now of what it's worth, personally I feel you'd be doing quite well to get the €600 for it. As a nostalgic fan of these cabs, the most I'd likely part with would be around €350/€400 (even at that I'm not in the market for one, just a 'gut instinct' feeling of reasonable price)

You're valuing a cab like this in working condition at the price of an Arcade1Up or less? :eek:

Is this you in the pic? :P

hqdefault.jpg

Doge wrote: »
    You're valuing a cab like this in working condition at the price of an Arcade1Up or less? :eek:

It's really all I'd value it at. The market for a cab this size is tiny, truly tiny. The OP was blessed to get €600 for it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've had 2 candies and the blast city was especially an amazing addition to my living room.

I kind of regret selling it recently, even though it turned into a pinball machine....which then turned into my wife's engagement ring.

I'd definitely like another candy at some stage.

The other one was a minty Egret 2 wasn't it?

I kind of regret selling it recently

Go full Cidey and rebuy :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Inviere wrote: »
    It's really all I'd value it at. The market for a cab this size is tiny, truly tiny. The OP was blessed to get €600 for it imo.

I think its fair to value it at 600 as thats what its worth, considering it has seating also.

Theres plenty of people out there that have space for it, albeit less than youre average punter.

Especially since the market is arcade heads, they usually have made space dedicated for arcade machines.

Doge wrote: »
    I think its fair to value it at 600 as thats what its worth

Is that the going rate for them? Ebay sold listings or somesuch? I dunno, not to take away from the OP's cab, but for €600 it'd have to be pristine for me.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The other one was a minty Egret 2 wasn't it?

Nah it was a Naomi, probably would only get one of those again to give it the chop.

I probably will go full cidey and get another one....or I could save up the €6000 and get a brand new pinball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

While nice and all ,generic cabs (outside of candies or dedicated Atari /nintendo types) have never been huge money. Good to see a duet saved though.

Yeh they had 3 of these electrocoins in the outside part and 1 upright with street fighter 2 in the little "cave" room. Ive been trying to remember what cabs they had in it, they changed a few over the years but i remember if you are standing at the entrance to the cave room looking in, starting on your left

Chase HQ upright
    Super Pang - later changed to tetris i think
    Football Champ
    Street fighter 2 WW
    Mortal Kombat 1 i think intially, maybe 2 later
    World Rally upright
    Simpsons 4 player then at the back wall, was also turtles 4 player at one stage
    Sunset riders
    Final Fight
    WWF Wrestlefest
    Puzzle bobble i think..
    Think i might be missing two cabs over on that right wall..

Outside they had the 3 electrocoins and they also had 2 sit down candy type cabs, low down ones, not sure what they where but they where back to back. One was gemini wing and the other was a top down motorbike game shooter, you had a side car too, i found the name of it before but cant remember it now.

Was a great arcade in fairness, id love to see a photo of it!

I remembered another game they had in the cave....Cisco Heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

They had an MVS cab in the cave (with league bowling, blues journey, sengoku) they had a massive Virtua Racing cab. At one point they had fighters history, tatoo asassins, point blank

Advertisement