Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2018 (Dublin)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

Wheety wrote: »
    There's still a big issue with Chrome and these forms. It might look like it's opened in Adobe but if it has a URL at the top then it's in your browser. In Chrome pressing Ctrl + J will open your download list, click Show in folder for the form and then double click to open in Adobe proper.

Don't have it open in your browser when you do this.

ive found these forms typically open much better in internet explorer as opposed to chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Gaffer78 wrote: »
    ive found these forms typically open much better in internet explorer as opposed to chrome

Yeah it does work in IE. Chrome for some reason doesn't play well with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How much employment history should I include, just keep adding boxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Milenauno

Well I don’t think there is a rule, depends of experience and age. I included 5, the most relevant ones, no casual jobs, no short term. Hope that’s ok

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

hi, does anyone have suggested phrases and terminology that would be beneficial in using when completing the application form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

It says at the top of employment history to include employment since leaving school or college

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

redmgar wrote: »
    hi, does anyone have suggested phrases and terminology that would be beneficial in using when completing the application form?

Hi

Not a direct answer, but the forms are a really important part of your interview prep - at least 50% of it.

You should paste the relevant competency requirements (from this: https://www.publicjobs.ie/documents/Executive_Officer_Competencies.pdf) into the answer boxes, and only delete each point when you have a clear example that addresses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Does anyone else have a problem with the word count? I tried copy and pasting from word - typing freely and it won’t let me enter all my data in - so much so that it stops mid word- the most I want to put in is 169 words. It doesn’t say a word count or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

Glad to see this post up and running. I just filled my application form in quickly and sent it straight away. Should've probably pondered a bit further before jumping into it. Anyone know any practice for the first part of the test? I did one a while ago and was short of quite a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EmBy

Hi, my first time filling in one of these forms and was wondering do I have to fill in any periods where I was unemployed eg I finished college in May and started working in August. Would I need to add another employment form for this? The form seems odd, asking for months employed instead of years and salary at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

EmBy wrote: »
    Hi, my first time filling in one of these forms and was wondering do I have to fill in any periods where I was unemployed eg I finished college in May and started working in August. Would I need to add another employment form for this? The form seems odd, asking for months employed instead of years and salary at the time.

I dont think you'd be expected to fill in 2 months of unemployment after college.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Linking123!

Hi Filling in the application form and they are asking for salary, how would you remember something you where paid in year 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Joem123556

I wonder will there be a campaign coming for outside Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Joem123556 wrote: »
    I wonder will there be a campaign coming for outside Dublin

I think booklet said early 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

I presume they're going to be looking for competencies after the assessments. However, is anyone putting some of their comps into the supplementary information box?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Skip13

carnie wrote: »
    I presume they're going to be looking for competencies after the assessments. However, is anyone putting some of their comps into the supplementary information box?

Its really up to you, you can reiterate stuff in the supplementary info or use the space to highlight something new, that's not covered by the comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DonegalBogger

I'm currently working for a Local Authority in a comparable role to Executive Officer but have applied for the EO panel due to location.
    Does anyone know when you are going from an LA to civil service do you lose increments for pay and pension purposes.
    Also as I am in the LA quite a while, I can retire at age 60, would I be able to do this if I were to take an EO job in the civil service?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How's everyone getting on?

Applied a few weeks ago. Keep getting this thread mixed up with the Revenue one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm currently working for a Local Authority in a comparable role to Executive Officer but have applied for the EO panel due to location.
    Does anyone know when you are going from an LA to civil service do you lose increments for pay and pension purposes.
    Also as I am in the LA quite a while, I can retire at age 60, would I be able to do this if I were to take an EO job in the civil service?

Thanks.

If its an open competition- you *need* to contact PAS to confirm- typically- a civil servant does not keep their increments or their service for the purpose of higher scales etc. In some cases- you may be allowed keep your current salary- and 'mark-time' on the salary scale until such time as the people coming in at point 1 on the scale catch up on you- which might very well be 10+ years- before you get an increment.............

You need to contact PAS and get them to clarify the position for you- many pre-existing civil servants have been caught out by accepting posts from the last Open EO- there have been several threads here on boards from people shocked at how they weren't allowed keep increments, or pension rights or rules differed..............

Contact PAS- but don't assume you're entitled to hold your current benefits (unless its a confined competition)..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DonegalBogger

If its an open competition- you *need* to contact PAS to confirm- typically- a civil servant does not keep their increments or their service for the purpose of higher scales etc. In some cases- you may be allowed keep your current salary- and 'mark-time' on the salary scale until such time as the people coming in at point 1 on the scale catch up on you- which might very well be 10+ years- before you get an increment.............

You need to contact PAS and get them to clarify the position for you- many pre-existing civil servants have been caught out by accepting posts from the last Open EO- there have been several threads here on boards from people shocked at how they weren't allowed keep increments, or pension rights or rules differed..............

Contact PAS- but don't assume you're entitled to hold your current benefits (unless its a confined competition)..............

Thanks for the reply.
    Do you happen to have the links to the threads that you talk about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ber25

When filling out the application form I didn't really map my experience to EO competencies. I just outlined experience. Will this be a problem. My application form would indicate that I've caried out project management tasks for example but I didn't go into too much detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Id say you're grand. It's pretty much at interview stage that they look for examples of the competencies

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭KtodaT

I've just completed interview and Etray for 2016 panel (It's still open. Not due to run out until April 19) .
    I didn't refer to any competencies in my application form. They look for these at interview stages.
    I applied for 2018 panel too. God loves a trier...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

KtodaT wrote: »
    I've just completed interview and Etray for 2016 panel (It's still open. Not due to run out until April 19) .
    I didn't refer to any competencies in my application form. They look for these at interview stages.
    I applied for 2018 panel too. God loves a trier...

That is good to know re 2016 panel! I know the internal competition have started so I thought that perhaps the open comp will be starting soon and started working on my competencies so that it is ready but perhaps I shouldn't have if it ain't gonna be until after April 2019?:confused: You applied for 2018 panel, so the application form ain't based on competencies like it is for internal comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭KtodaT

That is good to know re 2016 panel! I know the internal competition have started so I thought that perhaps the open comp will be starting soon and started working on my competencies so that it is ready but perhaps I shouldn't have if it ain't gonna be until after April 2019?:confused: You applied for 2018 panel, so the application form ain't based on competencies like it is for internal comp?

No it's just your previous employment history and current role etc.
    Was the same as 2016. I think there will be a lot coming up but they are still interviewing for the 2016 panel even this week. Crazy I know! I was interviewed on the 20th and I think they finish on the 7th so that's quite a few people. I suppose it all depends how many will be successful at interview...

So, if I haven't received anything (questionnaire?) by email Sept 6th is that it really?

So, if I haven't received anything (questionnaire?) by email Sept 6th is that it really?

Hi could you explain what you mean by this? I’ve applied for this- are you saying we should receive something back by 6th September?

Sinus pain wrote: »
    Hi could you explain what you mean by this? I’ve applied for this- are you saying we should receive something back by 6th September?

In the pdf which was attached to the application it said if you haven't received an email regarding the next questionnaire stage by the 6th of September to contact Public Jobs. I haven't received anything yet as well.

Are you talking about the pdf application form? that asked your educational and work history? I re-read that and it didnt say that. I'm sorry for the questions I just dont want to miss anything.

• Advertisement

Sinus pain wrote: »
    Are you talking about the pdf application form? that asked your educational and work history? I re-read that and it didnt say that. I'm sorry for the questions I just dont want to miss anything.

No, there was a separate information booklet which you could download. It explained the whole process and you didn't need to enter anything to it.

Advertisement