Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2018 (Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

JennyZ wrote: »
    For anyone who selected both Open and Internal/Interdepartmental on the application for the open competition, is it then required to also complete the seperate Internal application process and forms issued internally to be eligible for Internal/Interdepartmental? Thanks

As far as I know it’s one application, exam etc for both

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭JennyZ

Sinus pain wrote: »
    As far as I know it’s one application, exam etc for both

thanks, new in the CS it seems with the 1:1:1 one third of the roles will come from open competition one third interdepartmental both of which are covered by the open competition for the other third internal I assume you have to complete the seperate internal forms and do that whole process separately but it's a bit unclear

Hi all, does anyone know how sick leave may impact. I started as a TCO over 2 years ago and have 6 uncertified days, CO for the past 2 years and recently had to take 3 certified days. Worried it might rule me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

JennyZ wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone know how sick leave may impact. I started as a TCO over 2 years ago and have 6 uncertified days, CO for the past 2 years and recently had to take 3 certified days. Worried it might rule me out.

Depends how long you've been working and when the absences occurred:
    'Standard' allowance is
    No more than 7 days not certified in a 2 year period
    No more than 56 days or 25 instances for a 4 year period.
    No more than 14 days certified or no more than 6 individual instances (certified or not certified) for the current year (usually applied under probationary conditions).

Important to note that Saturdays, Sunday's and Public holidays are included if they fall between your period of absence e.g. Fall ill on a Wednesday night, resume work the following Tuesday, Sick days: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Five days total.

Edit: Forgot to add these limits are reduced pro rata if you haven't accrued four years service. For example, worked exactly three years then the limits drop to 42 days and 18 instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Noseyaf wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I just completed the online assessments.
    There was three stages,
    The first, was how you'd describe yourself, very accurate indifferent not at all etc.
    The second was what you want from a role, must have, don't mind, must not have.
    And the final was a paragraph with four or five options of responses and you just said which was weak, good or excellent.

Very hard to tell if you did well as it's all just opinion based, don't think there is a right or wrong answer

I have no idea how it's supposed to be answered (the first section).

As far as I can see, you can be honest, or a chancer (talk yourself up/ paint yourself as a stellar worker/ human).
    I went with honesty, as I imagine that anyone looking at the answers will be able to smell a bs'er.

Example questions: (not exact but similar)
    I'm forgetful or I'm usually a little late for work or I like other people to do my work

Very like me - Quite like me - Cannot say - Not very like me - Not like me at all.

Here is a golden opportunity for you to make yourself highly undesirable.

While I've started typing, I want to mention something about the numerical and verbal that are to follow.

I am currently waiting on an interview after doing the supervised tests for the 2016 EO campaign.

The numerical is mostly working out percentages, so practice that.

Example: Tom has $3,500 and Jane has $1600. Tom has x% more $.

You will also be taking all your data from tables/ pie charts/ bar charts.

The verbal is about answering questions on a paragraph that you have read (there are many different paragraphs as you progress through that test - sometimes only one or two questions per paragraph of text)

My problem was that I was expecting them to be tricky, so I spent too long on them. I might see the obvious answer, think I found it too quickly, so I go and read the paragraph again. Doing online examples proved to me that they are far simpler than my worrisome/ overthinking mind believed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Does anybody have the information booklet. I thought I had it downloaded it on my laptop but it turns out I only have it on the computer in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

kopite386 wrote: »
    Does anybody have the information booklet. I thought I had it downloaded it on my laptop but it turns out I only have it on the computer in work.

The Public jobs website has been updated with a campaign updates page, I think the booklet is available there

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Would does the work station assessment consist of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MaserGreat

Anyone who is not applying internally (eg just member of the public) received any updates on the next stage? I feel like I read somewhere we’d be updated on our status by the 24th?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

MaserGreat wrote: »
    Anyone who is not applying internally (eg just member of the public) received any updates on the next stage? I feel like I read somewhere we’d be updated on our status by the 24th?

I heard it would be the COB 24th before we heard anything - ie tomorrow or sometime this week.

• Advertisement

It said the week commencing the 24th, so this week at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

Does anybody know when we will have to do the numerical and verbal reasoning tests?

the next stage I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

redmgar wrote: »
    the next stage I think.

Thanks for that, but I meant in terms of dates. I would’ve thought we’d have them done by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Also does anyone know if we’re doing unsupervised aptitude tests at home and then supervised? Or is it straight to supervised?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭KtodaT

eimaj18 wrote: »
    Also does anyone know if we’re doing unsupervised aptitude tests at home and then supervised? Or is it straight to supervised?

You do the tests at home first and provided you pass you will be called to sit the supervised tests afterwards in order of merit.

Then after that, if you pass, you will be called for etray and interview.

It's a long oul' process!

KtodaT wrote: »
    You do the tests at home first and provided you pass you will be called to sit the supervised tests afterwards in order of merit.

Then after that, if you pass, you will be called for etray and interview.

It's a long oul' process!
    Yeah I thought that but last time the Situation Analysis was down at 1a and the unsupervised was 1b. No mention of it in the documents too?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭drone22432

eimaj18 wrote: »
    Yeah I thought that but last time the Situation Analysis was down at 1a and the unsupervised was 1b. No mention of it in the documents too?

The 2016 CO panel had unsupervised tests at home , the 2017 CO panel skipped that stage straight to the supervised tests . Maybe they have decided to abandon them

drone22432 wrote: »
    The 2016 CO panel had unsupervised tests at home , the 2017 CO panel skipped that stage straight to the supervised tests . Maybe they have decided to abandon them

I think it would be good if they went straight to the supervised test..... it would shorten the long long oul process!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭KtodaT

I think it would be good if they went straight to the supervised test..... it would shorten the long long oul process!!!!

That is true!

I believe the purpose of having unsupervised and then supervised was to weed out those who cheated by comparing scores. But sure if they just have supervised tests, no one can cheat! Either way, you would think they would want to speed up the process seen as how they are crying out for staff. Who knows!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

KtodaT wrote: »
    That is true!

I believe the purpose of having unsupervised and then supervised was to weed out those who cheated by comparing scores. But sure if they just have supervised tests, no one can cheat! Either way, you would think they would want to speed up the process seen as how they are crying out for staff. Who knows!!:rolleyes:

You would think so. :)

Straight to supervised is simply unworkable due to the numbers involved. There were up to 15k applicants in one of the earlier ones, IIRC. The current method just means they can whittle it down to the top 2,000 or so, then ask them to come in and do the supervised one. Weed out the blatant cheaters and take the top x% means now you only have to interview 500 instead of 10,000.

There were up to 15k applicants in one of the earlier ones, IIRC.

15k was mentioned in the 2016 thread, however that competition was for the whole country. 2017 CO was also Dublin only. I'd say the numbers in 2017 CO would be higher than Dublin 2018 EO, but that's just a guess.

Yeah, I agree. The reasoning is still the same though. If there were only a quarter of the applications received, there's still no way to start with the supervised tests. The logistics are simply too much.

Straight to supervised is simply unworkable due to the numbers involved. There were up to 15k applicants in one of the earlier ones, IIRC. The current method just means they can whittle it down to the top 2,000 or so, then ask them to come in and do the supervised one. Weed out the blatant cheaters and take the top x% means now you only have to interview 500 instead of 10,000.

But would they just take the people who "passed" the situation analysis to the supervised aptitude test? I suppose we'll (hopefully) find out this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ber25

No word yet.

Ber25 wrote: »
    No word yet.

Tomorrow is another day - the results are due out this week sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mazuma

PAS usually like to send results out on Friday afternoons

Is there results for the situational tests?

• Advertisement

What is the starting rate for executive officer? There seems to be a few figures knocking around the internet and I’m unsure which one is correct

Advertisement