Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dead Cells

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I can't get very far and can only play in short bursts, maybe an hour a go but its a fun game.

I'm kind of the same, but I'm still happy with how far i'm getting.

had my best run last night, beat the concierge boss but died in the stilted village afterwards (ba$tard fishermen dudes with their cannons). I've been through the toxic sewers also, met a guy in a cell who was looking for a rune, only for me to promptly get murdered by the enemy who was guarding it. Have unlocked the random bow perk at startup now which is nice. I notice that by spreading your power upgrades pretty evenly, you can boost your health pool significantly, I was running at 5,4,4 and had over 2000hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I've kinda gotten to love the Magnetic grenade and Saw Trap, makes bits of may enemies and bosses.

For all my talk, I find myself coming back to it. I'd play it once every few hours at most. I can't bring myself to restart after I die. The combat is just fantastic. Still think the progression is very slow :pac:

For all my talk, I find myself coming back to it. I'd play it once every few hours at most. I can't bring myself to restart after I die. The combat is just fantastic. Still think the progression is very slow :pac:

wait till you meet the blacksmith....

wait till you meet the blacksmith....

Is that the lad who wants 5000 cells for a chance at + weapons?

• Advertisement

Is that the lad who wants 5000 cells for a chance at + weapons?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Just killed my 3rd boss, 2nd attempt.. I think i got lucky :pac:

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Have had it in my collection for a while now (EAccess) but it's the type of game I can't stomach for prolonged periods. Love the look and feel of it - if Castlevania SOTN was modernized and converted into a DarkSouls'esque formula, you'd get Dead Cells - but I often don't have the patience to endure being sent to the start on fail -- I had all that back in the 80's and have gotten more impatient in my old-age of gaming.

Great little game, though, but the type I'm leaving on the shelf until the future when a new playthrough involves more than what I had already seen.

I bounced off of crypt of the necrodancer for a similar reason, I found it was too stingy with the loot / permanent upgrades and a lot of times the bosses felt unfair. Dead cells dishes out different weapons and traps at a rate that makes every run feel different enough that I don't really have fatigue from it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They're too mean with the progression in this, it makes it too repetitive. Main problem is its too hard to get the souls back to the collector, like you kill a boss and get 15 souls, so what if you still have to complete a massive level with whatever crappy amount of HP you have left. Dark Souls had the perfect balance, bonfires and the ability to recover your souls.

So..... at the end of the promenade level, if you keep running rather than taking the lift, it takes you to another level called 'the ossuary'
    I'd never noticed it until last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My dislike for the Ossuary is only matched by my dislike for the Sepulcher. It’s a ‘grab the permanent rune and never go back’ sort of level :pac:

Got to the final boss for the first time the other night. Despite having a loadout that tore through standard enemies, it proved wholly incapable of making much of a dent in the boss :(
    Stun and freeze were wholly ineffective, alas.

Is there an easy way to get back to the collector that I'm missing? You have to fight the boss and then finish the level every time? The entrance at the start of the level is blocked.

My dislike for the Ossuary is only matched by my dislike for the Sepulcher. It’s a ‘grab the permanent rune and never go back’ sort of level :pac:

Got to the final boss for the first time the other night. Despite having a loadout that tore through standard enemies, it proved wholly incapable of making much of a dent in the boss :(
    Stun and freeze were wholly ineffective, alas.

yeah, got as far as the rune and the boss called slasher promptly trapped me between spikes and his sword, murderising me instantly. My loadout wasn't great, had no traps or grenades and just an ice bow and a set of daggers. will try it again tonight but in a more methodical fashion.

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to get back to the collector that I'm missing? You have to fight the boss and then finish the level every time? The entrance at the start of the level is blocked.

I've only ever met him between levels. In fairness, most stages are doable if you just take your time, its possible to avoid enemies altogether too by rolling past then dropping down a few levels. You'll occasionally get ones that teleport along with you though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, only way to the Collector is to finish the level you're currently playing. As Stone Deaf says, it's possible to avoid most enemies by rolling past them; so I usually just skip the Prisoner's Quarters altogether, stopping only to pick up the skill upgrades, just to get the Timed Door on the second stage.

just on that, what boss are you referring to? the concierge is straight after an interlude so you shouldn't have any cells on you anyway?

just on that, what boss are you referring to? the concierge is straight after an interlude so you shouldn't have any cells on you anyway?
    I dont know tbh, usually just an elite version of a common enemy like an Archer or the pink guys that throw orbs? Its not really explained, its a massive hike to get to them then a massive hike to the end of the level afterwards though, I suppose Im just used to lighting a bonfire right after I kill a boss.

I dont know tbh, usually just an elite version of a common enemy like an Archer or the pink guys that throw orbs? Its not really explained, its a massive hike to get to them then a massive hike to the end of the level afterwards though, I suppose Im just used to lighting a bonfire right after I kill a boss.

You can generally avoid them, I usually skip them if I don't have traps.

Got to the clocktower boss and was had him down to a quarter or so health before I died. Took me a good hour to get to him so a bit of an anticlimax.

got to the forgotten sepulcher last night for the first time. a miserable place, got panicked when the dark started to hurt me and made the error of trying to skip past a load of mobs who swiftly started teleporting along with me to deliver my eventual doom :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I can't get into this at all :-/

• Advertisement

I dunno, I'm strangely drawn to it, I fire up the console intending to play something else, and next thing I know I've spent 45 minutes on a run methodically clearing out areas and gathering cells. its the feel of it thats the hook, pretty much every weapon seems like a viable option.

I've been avoiding wikis up to now, but I feel like I'm definitely missing out on something as I seem to be coming across more areas that I can access without more abilities - I still can't break the floors with a ground pound and there are passages that seem to require a wall jump or maybe a triple jump as well.

pretty much every weapon seems like a viable option.

Except to boot, god i hate that weapon. Its so slow, even if i find one thats miles better stat/dmg wise than what i have, it always gets sold.

I also havent ever used a shield yet, anybody using them?

I'm on a break from this game now, i got to what i think may be the final or 2nd last boss twice and its pretty intense and overwhelming. But making your way back to try again is such a chore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Feeling the same here. Got to the first boss once, got wiped out after taking him down to a third of his health and haven't really been able to get back there since. It just feels so random in terms of the weapons you find and you can't ever count on getting a build that really suits you.

Feeling the same here. Got to the first boss once, got wiped out after taking him down to a third of his health and haven't really been able to get back there since. It just feels so random in terms of the weapons you find and you can't ever count on getting a build that really suits you.

First boss is a doddle if you use traps, the wolf traps will lock him in place while a splicer will chip away at his health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi all quick question... I like to farm on the first level

I'm only starting - is it possible to finish off the first level... Make it to the end and use cells. Then restart the game at start of level 2, and keep the cell progress?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think its the whole restarting from the beginning when you die thing which is putting me off, I haven't been able to get to the first boss haha.

sticker wrote: »
    Hi all quick question... I like to farm on the first level

I'm only starting - is it possible to finish off the first level... Make it to the end and use cells. Then restart the game at start of level 2, and keep the cell progress?

Cells you spend are towards permanent upgrades, however cells you have during a level when you die are lost forever. So once you spend them, its all good, you have to spend them all anyway between levels, you cant carry them through a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Farming a level can take 5-10 minutes. A better use of your time would be to speed run the first level and get the timed door in level 2 (and level 3 when you get better) for a quick cell boost. Only stop to pick up the upgrade scrolls.

You can get both cell boosts in the same time it would take you to farm level 1 (and it's more exciting) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

nix wrote: »
    I also havent ever used a shield yet, anybody using them?

yes, you always need shields, because they are one of the few items that give damage reduction. And damage reduction is priority on all high difficulties.
    good part is that you don't have to actually use it, just have it equipped. But I'd recommend to learn them, as they make bosses like guardian and assassin piece of cake on any difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,235 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I've hit a bit of a stumbling block on my progression.
    I cant seem to get passed the Clock Tower guardian without having 2 turrets or some sort of freeze grenade.

Anyone have any tips?

Advertisement