Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celtic Cup

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Clegg wrote: »
    That Leinster A side is one that would do a good job in the Pro 14. Leinster's strength in depth is a huge credit to the schools who developed them and the province/IRFU for identifying their talent and developing them further.

Question on Max Deegan though. I think he's more than good enough to play for Leinster's senior side, but is behind a lot of quality players. He's been playing at blindside a lot this season so obviously Leo and Lancaster rate him highly if they're trying to fit him into the team. But should he look elsewhere for more regular first team appearance? I think.hes quality and don't want to lose him.

I doubt he will. Michael's players that grew up watching Leinster and play for them presently have a sense of enittlement to play for their province. The only notable exclusion to that would be Cian Kelleher and it was a different sense of entitlement that led him away to Connacht - he thought he should have been getting more game time at Leinster!

I think with Deegan lacks some of the core skills required of a top class backrow forward, namely, carrying over the gainline, good at clearing rucks (he strikes me as a ruckinspector hanging out on the wing a lot of the time) and tackling stats. I welcome being proven wrong but I think he is lacking in some areas to push for inclusion in the Leinster firsts over the coming seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Jesus. Is there anything more toxic than schools-rugby-fanboyism?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jesus. Is there anything more toxic than schools-rugby-fanboyism?

Toxic? Sure there are.

Creepy/weird? Probably not.

Call it what you will but I think he's already behind SOB, Conan and Doris at 8. The coaches seem to be looking for a way to play him and give him experience but I think there are some gaping holes in his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I mean, shouldn't all players be fighting and looking for as much game time as possible? A player who's content playing A rugby or sitting on the bench doesn't exactly scream someone with the drive or motivation to be at the top of their game.

• Advertisement

I mean, shouldn't all players be fighting and looking for as much game time as possible? A player who's content playing A rugby or sitting on the bench doesn't exactly scream someone with the drive or motivation to be at the top of their game.

That’s different to a sense of entitlement. His work rate and the effort he puts in across 80 mins of each game doesn’t strike me as someone who is fighting for their place on the team. Barring that turnover he won in the last play of the game last season the effort he puts in across the 80 isn’t up to the stats of the other incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭BlueAndWh1te

Munster A for Tomorrow:
    Stephen Fitzgerald; Liam Coombes, Shane Daly, Alex McHenry, Alex Wootton; Bill Johnston (C), Charlie O’Doherty; Josh Wycherley, Diarmuid Barron, Jeremy Loughman; Fineen Wycherley, Darren O’Shea; Sean O’Connor, Gavin Coombes, Dave O’Callaghan.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Cronan Gleeson, Keynan Knox, Paddy Kelly, Dan Walsh, Evan Maher, Tyler Bleyendaal, Sean French.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Connacht Ulster in Sportsground on Sunday.
    winner of Munster Leinster will go to the final against Scarlets(most likely)

Leinster 5-0 up. Dave Kearney try in 1st minute

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

15-11 to Leinster A at half time

• Advertisement

27-18 Leinster A

Leinster A win 46-25.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RockBoysarewii

How did Sean French play?

How did Sean French play?

Very average. Didn’t get much ball out on the wing. Can’t see what all the fuss is

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RockBoysarewii

From what little I’ve seen seems to be very good going forward.

Heymans wrote: »
    Very average. Didn’t get much ball out on the wing. Can’t see what all the fuss is
    If he didnt get much ball and didnt have much to do how can you say is very average?

If he didnt get much ball and didnt have much to do how can you say is very average?

From what I saw of him I thought he was run of the mill. Looks speedy but didn’t have great handling skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Bit unfair to be calling a guy who just turned 19 run of the mill in his first senior season

It’s just that there’s a load of hype around him. I was probably looking with a critical eye

Heymans wrote: »
    It’s just that there’s a load of hype around him. I was probably looking with a critical eye
    There is a lot of hype about all too many players but saying run of the mill about a kid is extremaly harsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

There is a lot of hype about all too many players but saying run of the mill about a kid is extremaly harsh

Does Penny have 7 tries in the last 3 Celtic Cup games?

Penny scored 2 off driving mauls and if I was asked was the pick of the players on both teams. Has quick line speed and gets involved in as many rucks as possible. Both teams didn’t really look interested in defending hence the high score line.

On French - he got bumped by Dave Kearney the one time he was called into defence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

49-12 win for ulster away in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Awful Celtic Cup campaign for Connacht. Team today had an u19 in second row, a patchwork backrow and three props, three halfbacks, and a centre on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Was the venue for the final decided before the cup? or how was that agreed upon?

Was the venue for the final decided before the cup? or how was that agreed upon?
    wasn't decided before hand from anything I've found about the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Leinster will feel hard done by if they lose the final having beaten everybody relatively comfortably just to have to play the final in the opposing teams homeground

Leinster win final 15-8

Advertisement