Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Yes there is three streams to choose from on the online form and you just tick which ones you want to apply for

Sorr about the questions, but is there less competition or a different format? What's the benefits of going for the interdepartmentL?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    The interdependantal route.

In other words... The loser route

You’re actually going for promotion after all your giving out about it???!!!

Does anyone think that if you are being recruited for a good job like that from a panel which is never ending, and now hiring those who are the bottom there is something wrong.

Interdepartmental AP is surely a farcical situation
    Honest question. How do you feel about taking a job ahead of someone who is far better suited to that job and the only reason you are getting it is because of the inadequate way PAS and the civil service hire?

No, it isn't sour grapes by the way. I am speaking on behalf of those better qualified on internal promotion lists or open panels who are blocked by such persons.

There is no comparison and that is why promotion on interdepartmental is basically the dogs dinner of promotions and a nuisance to the country.

Also remember you can promoted easily enough on civil service by lying on your application and faking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

1. Excuse yourself.
    2. Explain yourself.
    3. What is the interdependantal route?
    4. AP level is removed from operational, discuss.
    5. Have you heard about modernisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I'll put one in for this. Plenty of questions to be answered on the app form. Will have some content from the Senior Executive Officer application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Skip13

Yep, it's a long form all right, but I suppose its senior management. Best of Luck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Skip13 wrote: »
    Yep, it's a long form all right, but I suppose its senior management. Best of Luck all.

Do you wonder if they actually read them?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

never_mind wrote: »

Yes, they will but not until after the online assessments. That's how they will shortlist

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

CBCB wrote: »
    Yes, they will but not until after the online assessments. That's how they will shortlist

Mine are fine as answers but they each only have maybe 150-200 words in each block. Trying to be concise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Anyone know of anywhere I can find a list of of civil service offices per county to help with choosing locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Anyone know of anywhere I can find a list of of civil service offices per county to help with choosing locations?

Try the mobility section on peoplepoints website.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Try the mobility section on peoplepoints website.

Brilliant. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'd appreciate if someone will let me know the closing date for applications.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coloneldecker

Excellent, another fine contribution, you were missed from the 2016 thread after you stopped leaving your pearls of wisdom there, welcome back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Addle wrote: »
    I'd appreciate if someone will let me know the closing date for applications.
    TIA

6 sept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

duffman13 wrote: »
    Gonna give it a go myself. I'll chance AO if it comes aswell but not mad on the thoughts of a pay cut. How did you find the transition?

There's been some adjustment. The 'on boarding' process and induction was non existent (30 min powerpoint and that's it).

But really enjoying the work and the people. And to see that gold harp on my business card... I know I sound like a sap but I was proud.

I just hope it leaves me better prepared for the AP comp this time round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 annamosullivan

Hello, are there any good books/websites out there to help us prepare for the aptitude tests/e-trays, etc for this role? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

You’re actually going for promotion after all your giving out about it???!!!

Does anyone think that if you are being recruited for a good job like that from a panel which is never ending, and now hiring those who are the bottom there is something wrong.

Interdepartmental AP is surely a farcical situation
    Honest question. How do you feel about taking a job ahead of someone who is far better suited to that job and the only reason you are getting it is because of the inadequate way PAS and the civil service hire?

No, it isn't sour grapes by the way. I am speaking on behalf of those better qualified on internal promotion lists or open panels who are blocked by such persons.

There is no comparison and that is why promotion on interdepartmental is basically the dogs dinner of promotions and a nuisance to the country.

Also remember you can promoted easily enough on civil service by lying on your application and faking it.

Sorry to disappoint but I am beyond that level

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

1100010110 wrote: »

1. Excuse yourself.
    2. Explain yourself.
    3. What is the interdependantal route?
    4. AP level is removed from operational, discuss.
    5. Have you heard about modernisation?

I think those who pick up on typos on a forum as a stick to best another with is basically lacking wit. Good luck with the job, you'll probably come 999th and get promotion anyway and be a hindrance to your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

I think those who pick up on typos on a forum as a stick to best another with is basically lacking wit. Good luck with the job, you'll probably come 999th and get promotion anyway and be a hindrance to your employer.

You make me smile thumbtaxed

God I sincerely hope not or that's just another nail in coffin for my faith in humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

God I sincerely hope not or that's just another nail in coffin for my faith in humanity.

He means retired. Or maybe beyond the grave....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

That response makes absolutely no sense.

They do read them to ensure you have the basic qualifications and indication of basic requirements. Before the online tests

Hello, are there any good books/websites out there to help us prepare for the aptitude tests/e-trays, etc for this role? Thanks

I suggest SHL Website

A question for you all (sorry I'm a bit thick) in the Q! in the addition questions what does "Specific your number of direct reports". Is it who you were reporting to (level) or the number of stakeholders etc ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

They do read them to ensure you have the basic qualifications and indication of basic requirements. Before the online tests

Yes, in some internal competitions they use the 'Additional Questions' section as a filter before selecting people for competency-based interviews.

The shortlisting process described in the booklet seems to be some combination of test scores and experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

A question for you all (sorry I'm a bit thick) in the Q! in the addition questions what does "Specific your number of direct reports". Is it who you were reporting to (level) or the number of stakeholders etc ....

It is the number of people reporting to you, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

how many people reported to you

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It is the number of people reporting to you, if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 llcolj

The interview is based around the 4 competencies on the form, so the interview panel at least will read them. You can if you wish pick new examples on the day but it is more hassle.

Advertisement