Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    This thread seems to be more about people bigging themselves up merely for confidence boosts from other posters than the application.

Wow you have 10 years experience. Wow you have managed a small team. Wow you have a degree.

Fill in the application and you can save that rubbish for the interview

Your contribution to these threads is always rubbish, go find a real hobby and stop jumping in needlessly just to be negative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

This thread seems to be more about people bigging themselves up merely for confidence boosts from other posters than the application.

Wow you have 10 years experience. Wow you have managed a small team. Wow you have a degree.

For someone who is supposedly beyond this, you seem to have some bitterness issues with these competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

JAPhys wrote: »
    It certainly seems that way from reading the thread about the last AP competition. The posters on there from the CS speculated that if you were successful in the AP competition you should just apply straight away from the next PO competition because its almost the same selection criteria.

But PO level is another ball game completely. Much more Ministerial engagement, and you could find yourself in speaking at the PAC and/or having your name mentioned in the national media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭tigger123

Why are you so interested in this thread? Are you applying for the role?

I saw that the first online assessment will be available from 21st September: anyone know-how long you have to take it? When is the closing date?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tigger123 wrote: »
    I saw that the first online assessment will be available from 21st September: anyone know-how long you have to take it? When is the closing date?

You normally have a 5-6 day window in which to take it- with the express advice not to leave it until the last day- as the SSL and other test systems- don't seem to be up to a rush of people from here doing the online testing at the same time......... If you look back on previous competitions- a shocking number of them had unscheduled downtime- and in several cases PAS extended the deadlines in recognition of difficulties people had with the systems. Not sure of the closing date for the assessment- I assume you'll get further information in due course.

You normally have a 5-6 day window in which to take it- with the express advice not to leave it until the last day- as the SSL and other test systems- don't seem to be up to a rush of people from here doing the online testing at the same time......... If you look back on previous competitions- a shocking number of them had unscheduled downtime- and in several cases PAS extended the deadlines in recognition of difficulties people had with the systems. Not sure of the closing date for the assessment- I assume you'll get further information in due course.

Cheers Conductor, you're a great help, as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

tigger123 wrote: »

The information provided says that stage one assessments are 21-26 September

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

hardybuck wrote: »
    Much more Ministerial engagement, and you could find yourself in speaking at the PAC and/or having your name mentioned in the national media.

I experienced all these things below PO level

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Riskymove wrote: »

As an EO- I was named by RTE, The Irish Times- and a variety of NGOs in relation to several schemes I was assisting in administering.......... (as was my HEO). It 100% certainly happens well below PO level........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 PBR

Riskymove wrote: »

It depends on the Department really, the level of responsibility across grades varies significantly by Department. My current Department would be more PO heavy in terms of Oireachtas committees and the like than below PO level but it does depend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Let’s say that’s true... so what?

Surely if posting here gives someone a small boost then that’s a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

Hi,

Applying for this position for the first time..just wondering if someone could clarify this for me please.

On the information booklet,selection process it says that a completion of online assessment questionnaire will take place first and then online assessment test. Are these the same or two different formats?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

BobCat123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Applying for this position for the first time..just wondering if someone could clarify this for me please.

On the information booklet,selection process it says that a completion of online assessment questionnaire will take place first and then online assessment test. Are these the same or two different formats?

Thank you

Effectively the same. The 1st one you complete at home. Based on scores from that, applicants are called in to complete similar tests in PAS office to verify that the ones completed at home were more or less the same scores achieved by the verified applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I did the 3rd sec tests over the weekend (the more practice the better!) and it’s a new company does them now (I presume they’ll do the AP ones as well).

Different visuals. Each question now had multiple tabs with different charts and data to be answered (on both verbal and numerical reasoning).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

quad_red wrote: »
    I did the 3rd sec tests over the weekend (the more practice the better!) and it’s a new company does them now (I presume they’ll do the AP ones as well).

Different visuals. Each question now had multiple tabs with different charts and data to be answered (on both verbal and numerical reasoning).

They sound like cut-e tests. If so, these have been in use in some competitions since at least 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Skip13

Is there much difference between cut-e and shl?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

quad_red wrote: »

Do you have a link to the tests inc Third Secretary?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

I was thinking of applying for this, having got through a stage of an internal PO comp recently, but to be honest I’m a below mediocre AO so doubt I’d be up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

SFC1895 wrote: »
    I was thinking of applying for this, having got through a stage of an internal PO comp recently, but to be honest I’m a below mediocre AO so doubt I’d be up to it

I would apply anyway, as with the 2016 comp you may not even get called for an interview till late 2019 or 2020 depending on how you do in the tests and how batches move, and you'll likely have more experience then anyway to discuss in interview.

I didn't apply in 2016 as I thought I'd be up for it at that point, but wish I had now, even just for the experience at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Kournikova wrote: »
    I would apply anyway, as with the 2016 comp you may not even get called for an interview till late 2019 or 2020 depending on how you do in the tests and how batches move, and you'll likely have more experience then anyway to discuss in interview.

I didn't apply in 2016 as I thought I'd be up for it at that point, but wish I had now, even just for the experience at least.
    +1. Apply anyway. I was an EO in 2016 and tried my luck. I got to the interview stage...ok, I failed it but I learnt from the experience and was successful in the later HEO competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tattycoram

Any idea how to delete a section in the employment history section? I created one more than I need.

I can't face filling in a fresh form. The copying and pasting from my CV is taking me longer than coming up with the answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Just delete the words and leave it blank? I did the Third Secretary tests too and have a preference for that despite the salary being lower, but will give this a crack as well, Have previous management experience of a multi million...ah will leave that for the interview :-)

Aitor and people who are serving AP's any advice on how to prepare for the actual tests, specifically the third part.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,808 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have been a HEO for a few years so might as well give it a go :)

Just a quick question under the key achievements (1.Leadership etc) are people putting in one good example in detail for each of the headings or a couple...or as many as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Aitor

franklyon wrote: »
    Just delete the words and leave it blank? I did the Third Secretary tests too and have a preference for that despite the salary being lower, but will give this a crack as well, Have previous management experience of a multi million...ah will leave that for the interview :-)

Aitor and people who are serving AP's any advice on how to prepare for the actual tests, specifically the third part.

The third part is the job simulation right? No advice I’m afraid, bar thinking about how the modern civil service would expect you to handle a situation. Be prepared to lead, but also to delegate, while not exceeding your brief. I realise those are all in tension with one another, but I suppose that’s the point! Whatever you do, don’t try to give the answer you think they want- give the answer you feel is correct. You’re usually better off that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Aglomerado wrote: »
    +1. Apply anyway. I was an EO in 2016 and tried my luck. I got to the interview stage...ok, I failed it but I learnt from the experience and was successful in the later HEO competition.

I understand what you’re saying here but I’m struggling as it is and my morale and confidence is through the floor at this point

SFC1895 wrote: »
    I understand what you’re saying here but I’m struggling as it is and my morale and confidence is through the floor at this point

I know what you mean, but you should apply anyway. It could be a year or 18 months before you go to interview, and things could look a little different for you by then.

The only sure way to not get ahead in life is to stop trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

WAW wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the tests inc Third Secretary?

The link I was sent from PAS is a custom link.

But as Ravellman says above it's this company supplied the tests:

https://www.cut-e.com/assessment-solutions/

They don't seem to offer dummy tests to practise on (although when you take the test as always you get one dummy question to mess around on at the start so you know how it works).

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

I'm going to fill in the form today. I'm fine with the Personal Statement and the Additional Questions but the Key Achievements are causing me a bit of bother because I feel I'll be repeating the examples between Key Achievements and Additional Questions. Think I'm just drawing a bit of a blank because I have to draw on examples from previous work from several years ago ( took time out of workplace). If anyone can point me to a good link to any tips, I'd be grateful. TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

New poster/ long time follower of the 2016 thread. Huge thanks for all the advice and info. Any thoughts on what to do with the checkbox at the end of the form? If I hover over it, it says "check to exclude this section" (or something like that) which I assume refers to the Declaration that follows so I'm thinking no I don't want to exclude it, but then when I save the form an error pops up about GDPR unless I check the checkbox, although there is no mention of GDPR on the form. TIA

Advertisement