Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Workplace charging experience

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

KCross wrote: »
    But does she have to plug her car in, go to reception to get the RFID card, back to the car to turn it on and then back into the office?

And do that in reverse when disconnecting or does it release the cable without the need for the RFID?

She would have to do that if she was plugging in first thing in the morning, but she only plugs in at lunchtime. So the procedure is pick up the card at reception, go out and plug in, go back in and return card.

Not needed to unplug.

In fairness she has only has only used it 2 or 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

n97 mini wrote:
    That's the issue. A lot of companies don't handle any cash at all ever. With €2 coins they need to be stored (securely) and then processed at the end of the week/month. As there is no "bank run" as such (they don't handle cash) what happens to all the €2 coins?
    Our company is completely cash free, cash not an option I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Do you think the company will want the electricity paid for?

If yes, then the tokens is the lowest overhead way to do it.
    Backend billing systems will make no sense for one or two chargepoints and would cost more than the electricity.

If you think they won’t look for the electricity costs to be covered you can still use the tokens (since you said your car park isn’t secure) but just don’t charge for them.

KCross wrote: »
    Do you think the company will want the electricity paid for?

If yes, then the tokens is the lowest overhead way to do it.
    Backend billing systems will make no sense for one or two chargepoints and would cost more than the electricity.

If you think they won’t look for the electricity costs to be covered you can still use the tokens (since you said your car park isn’t secure) but just don’t charge for them.

Don't know yet. I'd be offering me paying the costs as a gesture of goodwill and to increase my chances of getting it installed. They could double my Sports & Social contribution and that would cover it. That would be an easy way of doing it.

The problem with the token one is that it's basically the double the cost of a simple 32A 7kW with a keylock (WallPod).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

McGiver wrote: »
    Don't know yet. I'd be offering me paying the costs as a gesture of goodwill and to increase my chances of getting it installed. They could double my Sports & Social contribution and that would cover it. That would be an easy way of doing it.

The problem with the token one is that it's basically the double the cost of a simple 32A 7kW with a keylock (WallPod).

A simple home style charge point will always be the cheapest option. If there were, say, 10 EV's in the building how would you handle the key lock?

Would you have to run in and out to reception each morning to get the key?

If that works for you then thats a good cheap option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

McGiver wrote:

How much is the Sports and social contribution per month?

tedpan wrote:
    How much is the Sports and social contribution per month?

Matches my approximate what according to my calculations the electricity consumed would cost.

KCross wrote:
    A simple home style charge point will always be the cheapest option. If there were, say, 10 EV's in the building how would you handle the key lock?
    My thinking. And 10 EVs are unlikely here anytime soon.
    KCross wrote:
    Would you have to run in and out to reception each morning to get the key?
    Yes, not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Large multinational with two chargers (3.3kW & 7KwH) operated by fobs. Installed as part of project. When there were only half a dozen 24kWh LEAFs, charging wasn't an issue but now there are at least 4 x 40KwH LEAFs, eGolf, few more 24kWh LEAFs, etc.

Now we have a WhatsApp group and a fob attached to the chargers which means anyone can charge (previously a limited number of fobs were distributed to the early adopters of eCars).
    At the moment, it's working on a basis of who arrives earlier and who reads and responds to the WhatsApp messages quickest!

We also have a PHEV xc60 Volvo who regularly rocks up and stays on the chargers three hours or more! Why on earth someone who can afford a €65,000 car feels the need to charge a 10kWh battery - which the ICE recharges anyway - feels the need to use such a precious resource for BEVs is beyond me.

We've tried to limit to 3hrs per person regardless of charger but there are obviously folks who live quite close by who can sometimes spends 6/7 hours hooked up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

McGiver wrote:
    €20. Matches my approximate what according to my calculations the electricity consumed would cost.

Makes sense, ours is around 2 euro per month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭denismc

Can anyone tell me if this chargepoint requires the use of a fob or a card?,
    it was installed about 6 years back as part of a promotion but no-one knows anything about it.
    Sorry about the size.
    y4mcJgPlr41SLnwzQUVmRSoWJWLitggoPV0ZndraOMcK6kV9q7pWTfPFjC9qLLNIqik-ko-mr3-ZglahtLqR9-q88AoCSPmg_K85IO2Z9_QG3OCTLHfquHITDniKQFKDrpYfxrTtt2VDNkxtBt2_wfpvQKvSOfi_cAEOA_cJK_KNI0QuV_adw9w6ynDHAoQyU1pHfyzw5GosQ8CgePuSJifEA?width=2064&height=1548&cropmode=none

• Registered Users Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

denismc wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if this chargepoint requires the use of a fob or a card?,
    it was installed about 6 years back as part of a promotion but no-one knows anything about it.
    Sorry about the size.
    y4mcJgPlr41SLnwzQUVmRSoWJWLitggoPV0ZndraOMcK6kV9q7pWTfPFjC9qLLNIqik-ko-mr3-ZglahtLqR9-q88AoCSPmg_K85IO2Z9_QG3OCTLHfquHITDniKQFKDrpYfxrTtt2VDNkxtBt2_wfpvQKvSOfi_cAEOA_cJK_KNI0QuV_adw9w6ynDHAoQyU1pHfyzw5GosQ8CgePuSJifEA?width=2064&height=1548&cropmode=none

Same as the ones in my place. No fob needed, but there is a key switch (visible on pic) to lock / unlock access - your one is open and ready to use as far as I can see. Lights are blue when idle, green when charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭denismc

Thanks, I'm picking up a car next week and didn't want to be left red-faced on my first day with my shiney new car.:o
    I presume it is 6kw?

Advertisement