Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Druids Glen and Heath for sale

• 29-08-2018 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Members just informed last night the resort will be going up for 45 million. Interesting because the place is doing a huge trade, maybe they consider now is the time to cash in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

AhHaor wrote: »
    Members just informed last night the resort will be going up for 45 million. Interesting because the place is doing a huge trade, maybe they consider now is the time to cash in!

Place isn't in great shape at all. Played there in the open last Monday and greens were shocking. But would have thought 45M was a decent price for the entire resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is it making any money though?

Could be huge money coming in and huge money going out...

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I know the profits for 2017 were relatively small due to the 9 million investment. Both courses have been in poor condition for the past year and todays announcement kinda explains a lot.

Just hope new buyer doesn't pull a wentworth on the clubs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played the Heath open in July, great value at €30 including a meal at the course was in perfect condition at the height of the summer burn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

AhHaor wrote:
    I know the profits for 2017 were relatively small due to the 9 million investment. Both courses have been in poor condition for the past year and todays announcement kinda explains a lot.

Are u a member??Have you played the Heath recently??

• Advertisement

Are u a member??Have you played the Heath recently??

Yes to both questions. Member of heath. Member since 2012. Downward trend in course condition noted since late 2016.

I do appreciate condition is subjective. And we're not a members club. Shareholders need to be paid. But it's been a steady decline

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Played Druid's Glen this summer for the first time, was not impressed. Greens were lacking, even in the heat they were poor in comparison to so called lesser courses, which was very surprising. The back 9 did feature a few impressive holes but I was not left feeling with a desire to return.

Would not go out of my way to play there again. In the Dublin area I would prefer a round at Luttrellstown or St. Margarets for a parkland course, and at half the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,334 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The members should get together and buy it at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

eagle eye wrote: »

DG is my favourite parklands course but I haven't played it for a few years.

If I was a member I'd be hoping for a foreign investor (Trump excluded) with deep pockets like Fota or a home grown one like Adare Manor. If the comments above are anything to go by, investment in course maintenance/upgrade is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,079 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I can imagine the email.

Lads, we're just looking for €50,000 from each of you before the Captains Prize next Saturday. Maybe another €20,000 to make sure we're adequately funded. Winner of the Captains prize gets to run the Hotel for the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Here's a photo I took in July, place was in perfect nick with huge traffic

DhSootSWsAAsj6r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PARlance wrote: »
    I can imagine the email.

Lads, we're just looking for €50,000 from each of you before the Captains Prize next Saturday. Maybe another €20,000 to make sure we're adequately funded. Winner of the Captains prize gets to run the Hotel for the next year.

€45m for the whole resort.
    Take the Glen and separate it. That's what the members should buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Druids up for €45 mill, K Club for €80 mill . . . Such a vast price difference between the 2. 

Both similar distance to Dublin City Centre & Airport, both similar set of golf courses, 1 premium and 1 perceived lesser course (I believe the Heath & Smurfit are fine courses, they just suffer from being beside located on the same ground as the Glen and Palmer)  

Is druids glen really worth €35 mill less than the K Club !

Druids up for €45 mill, K Club for €80 mill . . . Such a vast price difference between the 2. 

Both similar distance to Dublin City Centre & Airport, both similar set of golf courses, 1 premium and 1 perceived lesser course (I believe the Heath & Smurfit are fine courses, they just suffer from being beside located on the same ground as the Glen and Palmer)  

Is druids glen really worth €35 mill less than the K Club !

druids is a nice hotel
    k club is a palace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Also the estates are significantly bigger on a quick google by about 200 acres.

Hardly like for like.

slave1 wrote: »
    Here's a photo I took in July, place was in perfect nick with huge traffic

The same green posted by the resort last week.

[HTML]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DlHV7jMXgAAjbCN.jpg[/HTML]

And I hope you didn't inspect the bunkers!!

I just hope new owners put a bit more resources into the place and don't significantly increase the subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,079 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seve OB wrote: »
    €45m for the whole resort.
    Take the Glen and separate it. That's what the members should buy.

It's being sold in seperate lots?

PARlance wrote: »
    It's being sold in seperate lots?

ive no idea
    just saying if the golf members were to buy it, thats the only thing i imagine that would interest them.
    they are golfers, not resort investors or hoteliers

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

K Club courses 19th & 46th Druids courses 29th & 83rd on Golf Digest top 100 Irish list, and yes I know that subjective but still says quite a lot. And as with everything else ever sold it's all about branding, you know a former Ryder Cup venue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just my opinion but perhaps it's a bit unfair to judge the course over the last few weeks following one of the worst droughts the country has ever experienced. Most courses around the country suffered. The following clip was filmed back in May around the time that I last played it and it was in good condition then.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    Just my opinion but perhaps it's a bit unfair to judge the course over the last few weeks following one of the worst droughts the country has ever experienced. Most courses around the country suffered. The following clip was filmed back in May around the time that I last played it and it was in good condition then.

I've no problems with brown, especially on a heathland. The issue is where they have cut back on staff and simple jobs aren't being performed

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

Is it really in that bad condition? I have a 4 ball voucher to use in the next few weeks.

Bottle wrote: »
    Is it really in that bad condition? I have a 4 ball voucher to use in the next few weeks.

It's ok. Very scruffy if you go looking. Fairways are quite patchy. Greens have brown areas.

Half full people will say it's in immaculate condition. Half empty will say it's not. Though captains prize was on this weekend and we're hosting Irish four-ball later in month so it's as good as it'll be for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Bottle wrote: »

It's Druids Glen...stunning course and scenery with some of the best par 3's in the country but sadly the condition of the course doesn't match the expectation of such a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

It's ok. Very scruffy if you go looking. Fairways are quite patchy. Greens have brown areas.

Half full people will say it's in immaculate condition. Half empty will say it's not. Though captains prize was on this weekend and we're hosting Irish four-ball later in month so it's as good as it'll be for a while!

played it yesterday and i'll go glass half full.
    yes there is some damaged area's after the Summer burn but i found the greens were running fast and true. no unexpected bounce bobbles or sudden skips at end of a put. Pin placements were smart and away from any bad spots
    fairways were running well with some good carry on them.

i brought 3 people with me that had never seen the place before and all wanted to play another 18 straight away so they gave it a thumbs up.

yes i've seen the place in better condition visually but playing wise i'd have not much to no complaints of it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

They won't be able to give that Heath place away for free!! Terrible course.

woodyg wrote:
    played it yesterday and i'll go glass half full. yes there is some damaged area's after the Summer burn but i found the greens were running fast and true. no unexpected bounce bobbles or sudden skips at end of a put. Pin placements were smart and away from any bad spots fairways were running well with some good carry on them.

woodyg wrote:
    i brought 3 people with me that had never seen the place before and all wanted to play another 18 straight away so they gave it a thumbs up.

woodyg wrote:
    yes i've seen the place in better condition visually but playing wise i'd have not much to no complaints of it yesterday.

It has always been one of my favourite courses, reasonably fair and good looking to the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

kopkidda wrote: »
    They won't be able to give that Heath place away for free!! Terrible course.

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I imagine the whole place is in needs a in a fair bit of investment. Stayed in the hotel last year and thought the rooms were very dated. Nice but not up to the standard of newer resorts.

• Advertisement

Thought they did it up last year?

Advertisement