Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Druids Glen and Heath for sale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

They did up the bar and restaurant area and got rid of the sunken area in the lobby. Hotel doesn't need much.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

What makes you say that?

No stand out holes, long slog, only thing going for it is the food was decent at end of round and much needed, golf is meant to be enjoyed not endured.

kopkidda wrote: »
    No stand out holes

2nd, 11th, 12th, 13th (blue tees), 16th

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

AhHaor wrote: »
    2nd, 11th, 12th, 13th (blue tees), 16th

Can't say I recall them holes, was too busy trying not to collapse with exhaustion. Probably be a different course with a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

......12th, 13th (blue tees),......

I think he meant stand out for a good reason though...........:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

A lot of bull spoken regarding the Glen.
    Played on Saturday,fairways were excellent,green were fine with a big of damage on a few edges,place was in very good condition.
    I'm not a member btw I was just very pleasently surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

A lot of bull? I played it this summer and will not go back. Glad you enjoyed it but I stand by my review. Low-lights included bumpy and damaged greens and rude and sexist treatment of my wife by the starter.

Too many other good Irish courses to waste time with "the glen" again. I will say the back 9 did have a few brilliant holes, but no, wont be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I played the Heath in about april and it was waterlogged....it should never have been open

It was onviously no one had even done a scout of the place to see how bad it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

A lot of bull spoken regarding the Glen.
    Played on Saturday,fairways were excellent,green were fine with a big of damage on a few edges,place was in very good condition.
    I'm not a member btw I was just very pleasently surprised.
    It was horrendous when I was there. I think it was late July.

That is not bull.

You played it later in the year and it (in your opinion) was OK, that's great. It all depends on what you're used to, maybe you usually play in kips, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

eoghan104 wrote: »
    It was horrendous when I was there. I think it was late July.

That is not bull.

You played it later in the year and it (in your opinion) was OK, that's great. It all depends on what you're used to, maybe you usually play in kips, who knows.

Did I see you got your name on my trophy this year? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Yes and you are the only name on it!

I might see if I can get the engraver to have an accident and get rid of you :-)

eoghan104 wrote:

No need for the smart arse trolling at the end of the post..rather childish and stupidly assumptious.
    I'm a 5 handicap who is well capable of critiquing the condition of a course fairly.

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Yes and you are the only name on it!

I might see if I can get the engraver to have an accident and get rid of you :-)

CONGRATS. 9 hole format didn't work for me, io prefer the long game, always play much better on the back 9 there.

I won in 2015 & 2017.
    the fella who won in 2016 went AWOL with the cup and it only appeared right before presentation night last year so was to late to get engraved then

I gave it back in plenty of time this year, I bet they will get all the cups etc engraved together in October, so if you took it home, make sure you drop it back in plenty of time.

and tell them to stick my name down for last year :D

No need for the smart arse trolling at the end of the post..rather childish and stupidly assumptious.
    I'm a 5 handicap who is well capable of critiquing the condition of a course fairly.

Since september 2016 it has gotten progressively worse. It's a great example of what happens when accountants come in and penny pinch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Since september 2016 it has gotten progressively worse. It's a great example of what happens when accountants come in and penny pinch

Or, when a club has to live within its means perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Russman wrote: »
    Or, when a club has to live within its means perhaps ?

It's obvious now why the course has gone down hill over the last few years as the owners were not going to inveat money in the course if they were selling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's obvious now why the course has gone down hill over the last few years as the owners were not going to inveat money in the course if they were selling up.
    To be fair, it's also possible that they cut costs in order to stay afloat and hoping for an uptick in memberships and green fees. But when that didn't happen to the required level, elected to sell up.

The main reason if anybody here is interested is the fact that their long term green keeper who was an absolute perfectionist retired a few years back.

He was solely responsible for ensuring all the little bits that make the difference were tended to,the flower beds etc were always pristine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The main reason if anybody here is interested is the fact that their long term green keeper who was an absolute perfectionist retired a few years back.

He was solely responsible for ensuring all the little bits that make the difference were tended to,the flower beds etc were always pristine.

That doesnt sound like it would explain shoddy greens and fairways?

GreeBo wrote:
    That doesnt sound like it would explain shoddy greens and fairways?

Played it this week and last week and the fairways were very good and yes the greens look like they have a bit of disease in them but only in patches.

Played it recently yourself??

• Advertisement

Played it recently yourself??
    No and I wont be rushing back based on the below as I wasnt impressed the last two times I played it myself.
    Yes to both questions. Member of heath. Member since 2012. Downward trend in course condition noted since late 2016.

I do appreciate condition is subjective. And we're not a members club. Shareholders need to be paid. But it's been a steady decline
    Are u a member??Have you played the Heath recently??
    Played Druid's Glen this summer for the first time, was not impressed. Greens were lacking, even in the heat they were poor in comparison to so called lesser courses, which was very surprising. The back 9 did feature a few impressive holes but I was not left feeling with a desire to return.

Would not go out of my way to play there again. In the Dublin area I would prefer a round at Luttrellstown or St. Margarets for a parkland course, and at half the cost.
    It's ok. Very scruffy if you go looking. Fairways are quite patchy. Greens have brown areas.

Half full people will say it's in immaculate condition. Half empty will say it's not. Though captains prize was on this weekend and we're hosting Irish four-ball later in month so it's as good as it'll be for a while!
    A lot of bull? I played it this summer and will not go back. Glad you enjoyed it but I stand by my review. Low-lights included bumpy and damaged greens and rude and sexist treatment of my wife by the starter.

Too many other good Irish courses to waste time with "the glen" again. I will say the back 9 did have a few brilliant holes, but no, wont be back.

Fair enough...personally,i would have to play a course recently to give a fair opinion on it's condition...

Fair enough...personally,i would have to play a course recently to give a fair opinion on it's condition...
    To be fair, the recovery from the summer has really only happened over the last month or so. A lot of normal maintenance work wasn't done because of the long dry spell. But greens should have been watered regularly I would have thought.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    To be fair, the recovery from the summer has really only happened over the last month or so. A lot of normal maintenance work wasn't done because of the long dry spell. But greens should have been watered regularly I would have thought.

We had it just as dry and had no issues on our greens. Fairways were dusty in places but greens were never better.

I dont think a great summer is a valid reason for greens being in poor condition.

Greens should be watered at least once a day, more during the hot, dry spell we had. If a complex like Druids isnt watering their greens properly then what hope is there for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

kopkidda wrote: »
    Can't say I recall them holes, was too busy trying not to collapse with exhaustion. Probably be a different course with a buggy.

Lol, think we must have been playing a different course. It is tough no doubt but I think that’s part of the appeal and there are some awesome holes. Don’t remember it being overly long 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I’ve played it twice in the past an both times the greens were awful - beautiful looking course tho

Don’t remember it being overly long 🀔

You probably (correctly) played the green tees. They're long enough for 95% of golfers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You probably (correctly) played the green tees. They're long enough for 95% of golfers out there.

Speaking of that. Anyone playing the blue tee challenge this Monday coming? Might give it a go myself.

GreeBo wrote: »
    We had it just as dry and had no issues on our greens. Fairways were dusty in places but greens were never better.

I dont think a great summer is a valid reason for greens being in poor condition.

Greens should be watered at least once a day, more during the hot, dry spell we had. If a complex like Druids isnt watering their greens properly then what hope is there for anyone else?
    Watering is never a full substitute for normal rainfall. Especially on greens which are well drained by design. Wateriing duiring this summer was probably the bare minimum. The water won't stay at the roots of the grass and you get uneven growth patterns depending on drainage. The other part of maintaining greens is cutting and there's a danger that cutting in those circumstances actually exacerbates things. That's how 'bumpy' greens happen.

• Advertisement

Don’t remember it being overly long ��
    I'll second that

Society once or twice a year golfers maybe

I've played a good few times and off green/white & blue tees
    It's not overly long.
    Most tee boxes are basically beside previous greens

Advertisement