Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    All internationals available this week thankfully. McCabe, Sean O’Brien and Peter Robb back available.

Thornbury, McKeon and Masterson back in ‘coming weeks’. Matt Healy not available this week.

http://www.the42.ie/connacht-injury-update-craig-ronaldson-4301722-Oct2018/

Expecting a very strong rested team to go out on Friday, a win would be huge. So does that mean heffernan is still out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    Expecting a very strong rested team to go out on Friday, a win would be huge. So does that mean heffernan is still out?

Win would be massive alright. Ospreys rested a good few last week too so both sides should be well prepared.

Was wondering about Heffernan too, presume he would have been mentioned if available. The lack of website injury updates this season is annoying, I guess they were stopped due to those concerns about medical privacy? Don’t see why updates couldn’t be given that say when players are expected back though, without mentioning specific injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    Don’t see why updates couldn’t be given that say when players are expected back though, without mentioning specific injuries.

That's still medical information though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    GDPR would be the main reason I'd say. People are allowed to control the information that gets said about them more

Mul, it's over
    Both true in terms of it still being medical info and GDPR, I wouldn’t have thought getting lads to sign a release saying they agree timeframes around their return from injury could be published would be a major issue but there’s probably a good reason for it.

Though I saw on twitter yesterday Leinster still distribute injury update sheets at their press conferences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Both true in terms of it still being medical info and GDPR, I wouldn’t have thought getting lads to sign a release saying they agree timeframes around their return from injury could be published would be a major issue but there’s probably a good reason for it.

Though I saw on twitter yesterday Leinster still distribute injury update sheets at their press conferences.

Jamie Heaslip talks about it here http://www.the42.ie/jamie-heaslip-injury-data-protection-3916931-Mar2018/ well worth a read.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't believe it's not Butler
    The players union took one reading of the provinces GDPR obligations, the IRFU took another but decided to placate the union. I have to say on balance, I'm in favour of the new system.

There was one advertorial piece this week about Murray and data protection issues with players, described by one of the foremost legal practitioners thusly.

https://twitter.com/FredPLogue/status/1053900458971095040
    The problem with all of this is that there are self appointed GDPR experts from fields other than the law who are making spurious pronouncements without ever having considered the legal foundations of DP/privacy law or indeed any rights based jurisprudence. But when your background is marketing, I suppose you just have to try and grab hold of any rising balloon you can without thinking too deeply about things.

One of the great ironies of this Heaslip's new found love of his privacy rights. You could have set your watch by the talk around contract negotiation time of Jamie's legendary resilience and that there wasn't so much as a headcold on his medical sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think GDPR compliance might win us the League tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not really mentioned but Ronaldson likely out for the season. Did a job on basically all the ligaments in his knee, ACL, MCL, etc. Some talk of him being back by Easter but seems a bit optimistic.

Mul, it's over
    Dan Lydiate available for Ospreys on Friday night but he is only player who has been released so they will be missing Nicky Smith, Adam Beard, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Tipuric, Aled Davies, Owen Watkin, Luke Morgan and George North.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45962714

Big opportunity now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You've got a Friend in me
    Dan Lydiate available for Ospreys on Friday night but he is only player who has been released so they will be missing Nicky Smith, Adam Beard, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Tipuric, Aled Davies, Owen Watkin, Luke Morgan and George North.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45962714

Big opportunity now.

Ooof... I imagine there were some choice words in the Ospreys camp when that word came through.

The Friend Zone
    My team would be as follows and feel it’s more then strong enough to win tomorrow.
    Buckley Tom bealham
    Dillane roux
    Sob Copeland butler
    Marmion carty
    Bundee Farrell
    Kelleher toh niyi
    Delahunt McCabe Carey maksymiw Boyle blade and two from (Fitzgerald/ Horwitz/ Godwin/ de buitlear)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

My team would be as follows and feel it’s more then strong enough to win tomorrow.
    Buckley Tom bealham
    Dillane roux
    Sob Copeland butler
    Marmion carty
    Bundee Farrell
    Kelleher toh niyi
    Delahunt McCabe Carey maksymiw Boyle blade and two from (Fitzgerald/ Horwitz/ Godwin/ de buitlear)

Will Bundee and Marmion be released?

The Friend Zone
    Will Bundee and Marmion be released?

Nigel Carolan said to craggy rugby that they were available yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    nice team.

Is this televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    macslash wrote: »
    nice team.

Is this televised?

TG4

Ospreys team

15 Dan Evans
    14 Hanno Dirksen
    13 Cory Allen
    12 Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler
    11 Keelan Giles
    10 Sam Davies
    9 Harri Morgan

1 Rhodri Jones
    2 Scott Otten
    3 Tom Botha
    4 Lloyd Ashley
    5 James King
    6 Dan Lydiate
    7 Olly Cracknell (Capt)
    8 Rob McCusker

Why do people just post links to Twitter? Especially with no context?
    Really drives me nuts. I can't access Twitter on my work computer

Surely it's as easy to say, "Bealham signs a new 2yr contract"

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/finlay-bealham-the-latest-connacht-player-to-sign-contract-extension/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    bazwraf wrote: »
    Why do people just post links to Twitter? Really drives me nuts. I can't access Twitter on my work computer

Here you go!
    Irish international and Connacht prop Finlay Bealham has signed a two year contract extension that will keep him at the Sportsground until the end of the 2020-21 season.

Bealham who has been capped seven times for Ireland, was this week named in Joe Schmidt’s Ireland squad for the upcoming November internationals.

He joined the Connacht Academy in the 2012-13 season and went on to make his Connacht senior debut in 2014. He has since made 113 appearances for the province and was a central figure in Connacht’s PRO12 win in 2016.

Commenting on the contract extension, Connacht Head Coach Andy Friend said: “Finlay will be central to our ambitions for the coming seasons. He is in excellent form this season and it is great to see that form been rewarded with inclusion in the Ireland squad this week. He is an outstanding scrummager and we are delighted that he has signed a contract extension for another two seasons.”

Following his contract signing, Finlay Bealham added: “I am hugely grateful to everyone in Connacht for the opportunities given to me to develop as a player and progress from the Connacht Academy programme to being part of the senior side. There is huge ambition in Connacht at the moment with exciting plans both on and off the field which I look forward to being part of. As a squad we are determined to bring further success to the province in the seasons ahead”.

Mul, it's over
    bazwraf wrote: »
    Why do people just post links to Twitter? Especially with no context?
    Really drives me nuts. I can't access Twitter on my work computer

Surely it's as easy to say, "Bealham signs a new 2yr contract"

From now on anytime I need to reply to one of your posts, I'm going to type it in a tweet and then link the tweet.

*cackling intensifies*

Venjur wrote: »
    From now on anytime I need to reply to one of your posts, I'm going to type it in a tweet and then link the tweet.

*cackling intensifies*

Wait until I start replying via Bebo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Delighted that Fitzgerald is replacement OH.

Huge match. An away would be massive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

PP have Connacht marginal favourites (-1 handicap). Strong team picked, the lads will be confident but hopefully we're a bit more ruthless when we get chances or get a lead.

I'd take a 1 point win, but if we could win and deny Ospreys an lbp it would be a big result for us in terms of the conference table

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Zzippy wrote: »
    PP have Connacht marginal favourites (-1 handicap). Strong team picked, the lads will be confident but hopefully we're a bit more ruthless when we get chances or get a lead.

Connacht really have to win this one. Strong team picked. Ospreys missing nearly all their top players. Not winning would be a major disappointment. Even away from home.

The Friend Zone
    Think Connacht really need to go on a bitta if a run now, looking at the fixture list, to have a good season need to be winning 9/10 out of the next 12 matches including tonight. In that regard it’s kind of a positive it’s only four players who are part of the Irish squad. And out of those four I think bealham is the only one who’ll really be missed. No doubt Marmion and bundee add a lot when available but the drop off between themselves and blade and Godwin won’t be noticed as much as previous years. Hoping maksymiw/ Gallagher can similarly step up for roux.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Think Connacht really need to go on a bitta if a run now, looking at the fixture list, to have a good season need to be winning 9/10 out of the next 12 matches including tonight. In that regard it’s kind of a positive it’s only four players who are part of the Irish squad. And out of those four I think bealham is the only one who’ll really be missed. No doubt Marmion and bundee add a lot when available but the drop off between themselves and blade and Godwin won’t be noticed as much as previous years. Hoping maksymiw/ Gallagher can similarly step up for roux.
    McCoy is coming back right for the Nov test doesn't he? Still 2 weeks after this one I think... O'Donnell will be key

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    What channel is this match on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement