Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/the-left-wing/the-left-wing-ultan-dillane-on-his-journey-from-paris-to-tralee-to-ireland-international-37307071.html

Interesting words from Dillane on Kieran Keane. He said he liked him thought he was a nice guy. He said the players felt they were in a similar position to the end of Pat's first year and him leaving was not player led.

Mul, it's over
    KBurke85 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/the-left-wing/the-left-wing-ultan-dillane-on-his-journey-from-paris-to-tralee-to-ireland-international-37307071.html

Interesting words from Dillane on Kieran Keane. He said he liked him thought he was a nice guy. He said the players felt they were in a similar position to the end of Pat's first year and him leaving was not player led.

That's a bit of a can of worms there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Mul, it's over
    KBurke85 wrote: »

When Friend didn't get the Ulster role Nucifora had Keane kicked out so his pal could get the job in Connacht instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭b.gud

When Friend didn't get the Ulster role Nucifora had Keane kicked out so his pal could get the job in Connacht instead

3/10

Must-try-harder.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kieran Keane never went to one hurling match in Thurles. Not good enough imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over

Well there’s my evening dose of BS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Looking forward to Friday’s match, Edinburgh are gonna throw the kitchen sink at this after throwing away Ulster game last week and could have beaten Ospreys round 1 too apparently.
    Will be a proper test.

Farrell out after losing some weight with bug last week. Copeland available but from reading Friends comments earlier about rewarding in form players he may have to wait. Dillane may be straight back as Thornbury looked a bit rusty against Zebre, Marmion and Aki only other changes I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I can't believe it's not Butler
    When Friend didn't get the Ulster role Nucifora had Keane kicked out so his pal FRIEND could get the job in Connacht instead

There was a great pun there and you missed it. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Is McCabe back from injury? If he is we could see some rotation at loosehead. If McCabe isn’t fit then I’d expect rotation at tight head.

Dillane will be back into the starting 15. Roux sat out training yesterday according to inpho sport pictures. Don’t know if that’s serious or not.

I’d expect Boyle to get a break. He’s still young and wouldn’t want to burn him out too soon. Would like to see Copeland slot into the back row with sob and butler with faingaa on the bench again.

Marmion and Bundee to come in for blade and griffin. Be interesting to see if it’s Bundee or Godwin at 12. I’d expect a change or two in the back three. Kelleher to keep his starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Niyi instead of Kelleher this time. On large Murrayfield his speed will be useful

• Advertisement

Fainga'a to start please. Was brillant in the rucks!

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    Niyi instead of Kelleher this time. On large Murrayfield his speed will be useful

Kelleher is no slouch and one of the most inform players at the minute. He’s one who should be kept playing. Could see toh or Healy drop out instead.

Wegians89 wrote: »

Kelleher is no slouch and one of the most inform players at the minute. He’s one who should be kept playing. Could see toh or Healy drop out instead.
    Hell we disagree there. Niyi is 14. So is Kell.  Was a disaster as FB in the past.
    Don't move player out of their position if you don't need to...

Hell we disagree there. Niyi is 14. So is Kell.  Was a disaster as FB in the past.
    Don't move player out of his position if you don't need to...

The Friend Zone

Kelleher could fit in at 11, has played there a number of times in the past.

The Friend Zone

Back row will be very interesting all season. A lot of players with very different qualities and skill sets.

Kelleher could fit in at 11, has played there a number of times in the past.
    with Leinster you mean? Healy is in form too though less shiny...

Back row will be very interesting all season. A lot of players with very different qualities and skill sets.
    I even think there's 1 too many. A LH prop would have been more needed. But here we are, let's focus on the squad we have

The Friend Zone
    with Leinster you mean? Healy is in form too though less shiny...

Kellehers first season. Healy broke his wrist, kelleher slotted in well on the left. Including big wins at home to Toulouse and Ulster I believe.

The Friend Zone
    I even think there's 1 too many. A LH prop would have been more needed. But here we are, let's focus on the squad we have

A lot of pressure on Conan to preform when needed

• Advertisement

Mul, it's over
    Kelleher definitely starts, he looks very sharp, was brilliant v Glasgow and if he gets a bit of luck on the injury front, will have a huge season I reckon. I'd leave Healy and TOH too.

Liking that we're seeing more settled teams this season, 7/8 changes was common last season and didn't help at all.

The Friend Zone
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    Kelleher definitely starts, he looks very sharp, was brilliant v Glasgow and if he gets a bit of luck on the injury front, will have a huge season I reckon. I'd leave Healy and TOH too.

Liking that we're seeing more settled teams this season, 7/8 changes was common last season and didn't help at all.

You’re right with a settled team being better long term. Saying that I’d rather see outlet best settled team start at home to both scarlets and Leinster as I really think targeting home games is a must. Also the strength in depth seems to have gone up a notch this year apart from maybe loose head. For that reason I’d rather a few changes for this week and revert back for the home games

Mul, it's over
    You’re right with a settled team being better long term. Saying that I’d rather see outlet best settled team start at home to both scarlets and Leinster as I really think targeting home games is a must. Also the strength in depth seems to have gone up a notch this year apart from maybe loose head. For that reason I’d rather a few changes for this week and revert back for the home games

Think this is probably as winnable as both of those. Agree though that making the sportsground a fortress should be big aim. Reading this earlier seems like Friend won't be making any back row changes. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/aki-set-to-make-first-appearance-of-season-against-edinburgh-1.3625917

Making better use of replacements this season too, front row only playing 50-60 mins unlike poor Buckley being flogged in the past and with the scrum going so well last week I'd be a bit reluctant to change it.

The Friend Zone
    Think this is probably as winnable as both of those. Agree though that making the sportsground a fortress should be big aim. Reading this earlier seems like Friend won't be making any back row changes. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/aki-set-to-make-first-appearance-of-season-against-edinburgh-1.3625917

Making better use of replacements this season too, front row only playing 50-60 mins unlike poor Buckley being flogged in the past and with the scrum going so well last week I'd be a bit reluctant to change it.

That certainly makes it look like there won’t be any unnecessary changes. The Celtic cup is on this weekend, I’d imagine Copeland will start in that if not involved in the senior match

That certainly makes it look like there won’t be any unnecessary changes. The Celtic cup is on this weekend, I’d imagine Copeland will start in that if not involved in the senior match
    Griffin or Joyce as 13?

The Friend Zone
    Griffin or Joyce as 13?

For eagles? Joyce I’d say as griffin should be the extra man for the back line with seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone
    Prediction time for Edinburgh,
    Kelleher, Niyi, Bundee, Godwin, Healy ,Carty, Marms, Buckley, Delahunt, Bealham, Dillane, Roux, Butler, Faingaa, Copeland

Mul, it's over
    Sevu Reece doing damage again.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/status/1040150503009599488?s=21

The Friend Zone

Really excited to see him in green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Friend Zone

He was pretty close to being offside no? I know the ball went 15m and he's very fast off the blocks. But it's close

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement