Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irexit Freedom Party

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Was Brian Lenihan Europhobic ?

He said back in 2009 that “cheap credit from the European Central Bank” and “the availability of cheap labour after 2004” that were the key factors in destroying the Irish economy.

To be honest that's a bit like saying "If only the shops hadn't stocked so much Chocolate, I wouldn't be a fat diabetic today"

"Availability of Cheap Credit/Labour" does not force you to "avail" of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Was Brian Lenihan Europhobic ?

He said back in 2009 that “cheap credit from the European Central Bank” and “the availability of cheap labour after 2004” that were the key factors in destroying the Irish economy.
    That's quite a misrepresentation of what he said. He said that low euro interest rates and cheap labour from Eastern Europe after 2004 were the main reasons for the overheating of the Irish economy which led to the recession, not that the interest rates themselves caused the recession... the cause of the recession was the overheating which he said was caused by "the public appetite for lending, and public appetite for increased purchase of property were part of it."

That's quite a stark difference to what you're alleging he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    To be honest that's a bit like saying "If only the shops hadn't stocked so much Chocolate, I wouldn't be a fat diabetic today"

"Availability of Cheap Credit/Labour" does not force you to "avail" of it..

Once we signed up to the Nice treaty we couldn't stop 100s of thousands of East Europeans flooding into Ireland.

Lenihan was right we lost control of our Immigration policy because of the EU.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Once we signed up to the Nice treaty we couldn't stop 100s of thousands of East Europeans flooding into Ireland.

Again - Just because they are there , doesn't mean you have to use them..

I'd love to hear what provisions in the Treaty of Nice you believe caused this influx of "East Europeans flooding into Ireland"

• Advertisement

I'd love to hear what provisions in the Treaty of Nice you believe caused this influx of "East Europeans flooding into Ireland"

It allowed for the Eastern countries to join the EU.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"I hear you're a racist now Doctor"

It allowed for the Eastern countries to join the EU.
    That doesn't really answer the question though does it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's a pattern there though.

Ireland, Sweden and the UK are the only countries which didn't implement the measures provided to control migration from the Eastern states.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

They wouldn't be able to come here without the Nice Treaty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Other countries chose to restrict movement of labour from the new EU states for some years, the UK and Ireland chose not to.

On to the next myth we go...

Life ain't always empty.

"I hear you're a racist now Doctor"

Other countries chose to restrict movement of labour from the new EU states for some years, the UK and Ireland chose not to.

On to the next myth we go...

Yes and that was one of biggest mistakes the Irish government has ever made.

Yes and that was one of biggest mistakes the Irish government has ever made.

So you admit it was a national policy choice then.

Life ain't always empty.

So you admit it was a national policy choice then.

No it was an EU policy that the government accepted.

You're proving me right and you wrong. Keep it up.

Life ain't always empty.

You're proving me right and you wrong. Keep it up.

What are you talking about ?

East Europeans are here because of the EU.

As has been addressed now, this is inaccurate. Ireland failed to implement rules to address this issue... are you suggesting all Eastern Europeans picked Ireland over all other 14 EU MS at the time for the craic?

As has been addressed now, this is inaccurate. Ireland failed to implement rules to address this issue... are you suggesting all Eastern Europeans picked Ireland over all other 14 EU MS at the time for the craic?

Let's get to the core of the issue shall we?

What exactly is wrong with Eastern Europeans in Ireland in your view Dr Brown?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Can I suggest South Park covered all his concerns with one addition - "They terk er jerbs/welfare"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

No idea why people have such an issue with Eastern European migration, considering the alternative is usually non-EU migration from countries with even greater cultural differences and levels of economic desperate that make them willing to tolerate even worse conditions than the EU migrants to this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Can I suggest South Park covered all his concerns with one addition - "They terk er jerbs/welfare"

schrodingers%20immigrant.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Schrodinger's Immigrant

Is this quip not based on the false assumption that there has only been one immigrant to Ireland in the past X many years? I mean don't get me wrong, if there had only been one migrant I might be tempted to argue for more open borders too, but the number has, I am reliable informed, been in excess of one. Therefore it is possible that whilst one migrant might 'der ur jurb' a second might 'tuk ur welfur'.

Perhaps a more sober reading might be the belief that a sufficient number of migrants of both categories are arriving in Ireland, or that the two categories are not necessarily mutually exclusive. An example might be say a single mother who arrives in Ireland to work part-time and who as a consequence is still able to claim state assistance in certain categories.

Don't want to get too weighed down in this debate though, I just have a pet peeve for what I view as egregiously poor or clichéd arguments.

Is this quip not based on the false assumption that there has only been one immigrant to Ireland in the past X many years? I mean don't get me wrong, if there had only been one migrant I might be tempted to argue for more open borders too, but the number has, I am reliable informed, been in excess of one. Therefore it is possible that whilst one migrant might 'der ur jurb' a second might 'tuk ur welfur'.

Perhaps a more sober reading might be the belief that a sufficient number of migrants of both categories are arriving in Ireland, or that the two categories are not necessarily mutually exclusive. An example might be say a single mother who arrives in Ireland to work part-time and who as a consequence is still able to claim state assistance in certain categories.

Don't want to get too weighed down in this debate though, I just have a pet peeve for what I view as egregiously poor or clichéd arguments.
    EU Citizens cannot move to another Member State to avail of social welfare benefits - let's nip that nonsense in the bud right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

EU Citizens cannot move to another Member State to avail of social welfare benefits - let's nip that nonsense in the bud right away.

Maybe not in the short-term, but as a longer-term strategy it could be viable.

e.g. Move to a Greek Island, do any menial low-paid work just to get by, once you qualify for welfare benefits (certain timeframe), develop a 'bad back' and relax on the beach.

Obvs not Greece as they don't offer 200notes per week inc the Chrissy bonus..

It's a numbers game there is far too many of them here.

Mass Immigration brings down wages and puts a strain on public services.

We will never solve the housing crisis until we stop mass Immigration into Ireland.

https://www.herald.ie/news/over-half-on-housing-list-are-foreign-27973856.html

No idea why people have such an issue with Eastern European migration, considering the alternative is usually non-EU migration from countries with even greater cultural differences and levels of economic desperate that make them willing to tolerate even worse conditions than the EU migrants to this country.

Mass Immigration of any kind is bad for Ireland.

It's a numbers game there is far too many of them here.

Mass Immigration brings down wages and puts a strain on public services.

We will never solve the housing crisis until we stop mass Immigration into Ireland.

https://www.herald.ie/news/over-half-on-housing-list-are-foreign-27973856.html
    1. If we have "too many" here currently, what then should the optimum number of Eastern Europeans be?
    2. To what extent have wages been brought down as a result of Eastern Europeans being here?
    3. To what extent have public services been strained as a result of Eastern Europeans being here?
    4. How exactly will reducing the number of Eastern Europeans help solve the housing crisis? Are you basing this simply on numbers or on something else?

Are there any positives to us having "mass" immigration?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Define mass immigration and provide evidence please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement