Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallagher Premiership 2018/2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Saracens threw it away, two yellow cards and gave away just too many kickable penalties

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Didn’t expect Farrell to kick it out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sale have a very decent team. Their scrum caused Saracens lots of problems - no idea who their props are.

Their backline is very threatening - de Klerk, James O'Connor, Solomona, Ashton and that James lad at 13 had a very good game.

Enjoyable game.

Faf de Klerk is up there with Murray. His pass is a bit clumsy but his aggression is terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

KevinK wrote: »
    Didn’t expect Farrell to kick it out there!
    Very odd decision. He looked pissed off. Regardless, they were 6 points down and it was the final play. Kicking it out deliberately was a bit peculiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Buer wrote: »
    Very odd decision. He looked pissed off. Regardless, they were 6 points down and it was the final play. Kicking it out deliberately was a bit peculiar.

Especially as Saracens had gone through multiple phases in their own 22. Maybe he was worried about them coughing up the ball and losing their LBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Worcester completed a sensational comeback with a try 14 minutes into added time against a Bath side who ended up with 11 men at Sixways.

Must have been some last 15/20 minutes.

Red for a neck roll, then three yellows in added time, two props during a series of scrums, then a high tackle yellow.

Bloody hell. That's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Red for a neck roll, then three yellows in added time, two props during a series of scrums, then a high tackle yellow.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1081612438351556608?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That’s bizzare, also I thought there had to be a minimum of 12 players for a game to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

stephen_n wrote: »
    That’s bizzare, also I thought there had to be a minimum of 12 players for a game to continue.

I thought it was 11 for some reason, after research it seems that different leagues have different rules about the minimum number of players allowed. Varies between 12 and 10 from what I've seen.

Though technically it could go as low as 6, 5 to scrummage and a scrumhalf to put the ball in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Worcester completed a sensational comeback with a try 14 minutes into added time against a Bath side who ended up with 11 men at Sixways.

It was an offside not a high tackle. He was a fair bit offside apparently, but I think he thought he'd made a good hit and won the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    Varies per level and competition. Nothing in law really but all to do with competition regulations

Apparently London Irish are moving closer to signing Paddy Jackson to a two year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

L.I should sign more Irish players imo.
    I think some of our academy lads who are bogged down behind others could be loaned out to L.I.
    Jack Kelly?
    Peter Claffey?
    Sean O Connor?
    It would allow the union and provinces to gauge their worth and if they are worth signing in the future.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    L.I should sign more Irish players imo.
    I think some of our academy lads who are bogged down behind others could be loaned out to L.I.
    Jack Kelly?
    Peter Claffey?
    Sean O Connor?
    It would allow the union and provinces to gauge their worth and if they are worth signing in the future.
    Why London Irish? Theyre not known as the "not nots" for nothing even if training base is still in London...
    Irish may sign irish players but will look to higher calibre players than these guys and theyve very few as it stands. Maybe O Connor who is getting game time for Munster but Claffey isnt getting look in here so not sure he would there either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe, but I think a loan arrangement between the IRFU and L.I could benefit everyone.
    L.I would get relatively cheap players and the union would see if these players are up to snuff.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Maybe, but I think a loan arrangement between the IRFU and L.I could benefit everyone.
    L.I would get relatively cheap players and the union would see if these players are up to snuff.
    LI amateur rfc has greater contacts in terms of irish players than the pro team.
    I dont see how it would benefit everyone. Even more when theyre in the championship and guys who are sort to need a loan deal are not generally type who a struggling premiership team will need.

A lot of talk in the papers today that the Premiership may be looking to scrap relegation with some of the championship clubs threatening legal action and/or seeking to join the Pro14.

I can't see how the Pro14 would be interested in Ealing or Nottingham.

I know Exeter came up and have done well but they are a once off.

For clubs to be sustainable it would be good for relegation to be scrapped. It would certainly allow the English teams to rest their players more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

A lot of talk in the papers today that the Premiership may be looking to scrap relegation with some of the championship clubs threatening legal action and/or seeking to join the Pro14.

For clubs to be sustainable it would be good for relegation to be scrapped. It would certainly allow the English teams to rest their players more.

How would RFU clubs join without an RFU stake in the league?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There was a very good interview with the Ealing chairnan on will greenwood's podcast this week.
    He explained why they would obviously want relegation to continue and how it would work better with bigger payments of championship teams and how the English rugby market can easily sustain 20 professional teams.

Gareth Steenson was on The Rugby Pod earlier in the week talking about it. People forget that Exeter were a championship side less than 10 years ago, got promoted and have ended up being one of the strongest sides in the premiership.

• Advertisement

I would think the 12 in the Premiership is too much especially from an RFU point as the national team players are too widely spread and key combinations not given enough game time.

But I guess to have a league you need that amount of teams to play.

The amount of u20s players breaking into teams is less than in Ireland as I guess clubs can't afford to risk blooding players with the constant battle for points. Unless they have to because of injury. It is also probably the case that they are too willing to spend rather than nourish a younger talent coming through.

I would think the 12 in the Premiership is too much especially from an RFU point as the national team players are too widely spread and key combinations not given enough game time.

But I guess to have a league you need that amount of teams to play.

The amount of u20s players breaking into teams is less than in Ireland as I guess clubs can't afford to risk blooding players with the constant battle for points. Unless they have to because of injury. It is also probably the case that they are too willing to spend rather than nourish a younger talent coming through.

I wonder if English rugby should adopt an MLB style system where the top teams have feeder teams from the lower leagues.

The lower teams get money and good prospects and the Premiership teams get their best young players regular game time and the ability to draw on a larger squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

troyzer wrote: »
    I wonder if English rugby should adopt an MLB style system where the top teams have feeder teams from the lower leagues.

The lower teams get money and good prospects and the Premiership teams get their best young players regular game time and the ability to draw on a larger squad.

They already do that themselves. Nottingham/Leicester have a relationship for example. I played for a clubs linked with Sarries and Wasps in a similar way.

I'm not sure if that was driven by the RFU or it just came about naturally. More likely the latter I'd say.

They already do that themselves. Nottingham/Leicester have a relationship for example. I played for a clubs linked with Sarries and Wasps in a similar way.

I'm not sure if that was driven by the RFU or it just came about naturally. More likely the latter I'd say.

They had clubs in the championship?

Ian McGeechan has an article in the Indo about this today.
    'English rugby needs to look at Irish model if their clubs are to thrive'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/ian-mcgeechan-english-rugby-needs-to-look-at-irish-model-if-their-clubs-are-to-thrive-37705326.html

They had(have) links with clubs in championship. Not owned but considerable links for loaning players to etc

They had(have) links with clubs in championship. Not owned but considerable links for loaning players to etc

Well it's obviously not as formalised as baseball where the minor league teams are the de facto academies which personnel and players regularly moving back and forth.

Well it's obviously not as formalised as baseball where the minor league teams are the de facto academies which personnel and players regularly moving back and forth.

Is it not?

Is it not?

You just said that the teams aren't owned. They are in baseball.

• Advertisement

You just said that the teams aren't owned. They are in baseball.

Maybe worth looking into that a little bit more

Advertisement