Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is my car really worth so little?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Your car will always be worth more than what a dealer offers you for it. Sure they have to stock it, clean it, service it, promote it's sale, pay sales commission,

Do you expect them to give you market rate?

And anyway, a dealer could offer you 20k for the car, depending on what you are buying from them and what they have into that. It's all subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OK so simple example.

Dealer 1 selling a new golf for 30k offers you 15k on your old one.

But my old one is worth more.

Go down the road. This dealer is going to give you 20k for your car. Ah he is much nicer to me,.............. But he wants 35k for your new car.

What's the difference really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Seve OB wrote: »
    OK so simple example.

Dealer 1 selling a new golf for 30k offers you 15k on your old one.

But my old one is worth more.

Go down the road. This dealer is going to give you 20k for your car. Ah he is much nicer to me,.............. But he wants 35k for your new car.

What's the difference really

It’s not always like for like, the lad down the road might be happy making 2k on the deal where as the first lad might want to make 8k. In the Op’s case you can be certain that the Renault dealer has big margin versus rrp

Savings are to be made in the U.K but ‘Irish’ cars are always more expensive if your buying secondhand from Irish dealers, because a lot of folk don’t want an import, they want the dealer to tell them who owned the car, to show them the Irish service history, and importantly a clock in Km’ versus Miles. Warranty is a big deal too, eg it is impossible to get any goodwill warranty on imported cars from the Irish distributor

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot agree with some of those points.

- Normally UK cars sourced from reputable dealers have full transparent and detailed service histories, alot of Irish cars don't because the Irish tend to skimp on servicing and either only get it serviced every few years/when due the NCT or get Joe the mechanic living across the road who will change the oil at mates rates for cash and no VAT.

- Regarding km clocks - judging by the constant increased number of used cars being imported isn't such a big deal to buyers here. Yes you have some die hards who cannot or don't want to adjust to mph clocks despite us using them for decades prior to 2005.

- And warranty, some warranties are not transferable but others are depending on the manufacturer, the duration of the warranty, how the warranty is structured or what dealer franchise you bought it from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Most importers will give you a 6 month warranty.
    Sure, it's not as good or convenient as a main dealer, but given an import costs similar to a private sale, it's fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Just "testing the water" were you?

TBH He probably low balled you to send you packing until you were actually changing. I've seen them do it to find out how serious someone is about changing.

Kinda of testing the water, but if I got a decent deal I'd change soon too
    Thinking of taking a wee run around some local dealers in the coming weeks, just to get an idea.

I love the Golf. Great to drive and it has all the bells and whistles.

However, think it's just a little small in the back for 3 kids. And the kids are only getting bigger! So have been thinking about getting something bigger.

The Renault was a 2018 Scenic. It really looks the part, but reading reviews of them online has started to put me off them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Renault was a 2018 Scenic. It really looks the part, but reading reviews of them online has started to put me off them a bit.
    Funnily enough I've been tempted to go and have a look at one too. I've not done much research however. Do you mind me asking what's putting you off? The Kadjar is nice but I don't feel the space is as good for the price you're paying for the Scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Tough to part with that much cash on a private sale.

with no warranty or comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep with UK dumping diesels people are buying Audi's now instead of VW's and yes diesel cars have little value. Our big standard cars up against UK imports at good prices with lots of extras.... I'd sit tight until the government here decide what track they'll take with diesels cause if they ban them like the UK diesel cars will be worth SFA and nowhere for us to dump them to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

screamer wrote: »
    Yep with UK dumping diesels people are buying Audi's now instead of VW's and yes diesel cars have little value. Our big standard cars up against UK imports at good prices with lots of extras.... I'd sit tight until the government here decide what track they'll take with diesels cause if they ban them like the UK diesel cars will be worth SFA and nowhere for us to dump them to

There is so much wrong in this post it's hard to know where to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

Maybe if you take the Derry City of the back window........

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

screamer wrote: »

What? I see lots of UK cars around but none for SFA or remotely "cheap".

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

UK has not and is not banning diesels or petrols. They intend to phase them out by 2040, but even then are not going to ban them outright. I don't think any 2nd hand value is going to be determined by a might happening in 10 or 20 years time.

https://www.ft.com/content/30f7e328-8372-11e8-96dd-fa565ec55929

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Funnily enough I've been tempted to go and have a look at one too. I've not done much research however. Do you mind me asking what's putting you off? The Kadjar is nice but I don't feel the space is as good for the price you're paying for the Scenic.

I think as a family car the Scenic is one of the better looking ones.

However I have read a lot of the online reviews from UK outlets and they don't come across as a car to buy.

I just need a little more rear space for the kids as they are growing. Perhaps something like a Passat or Octavia would suffice?

Also like the look of the Seat Ateca, and I'm not normally a fan of suv.

damemcd wrote: »
    Maybe if you take the Derry City of the back window........

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Yeah I think the problem with selling cars over the 10k Mark is the finance issue. I bought a new car this year and due to a change in circumstance thought about trading in for a completely different type of car. They offered me 25k on trade in, I bought at just over 35k. They said the reason being that ppl wouldn't buy off them with finance at 6 or 7% when VW are selling finance at 0.9%.. If anyone is in the market for a newish car though, gd discount here 😂😂 :)

got a quote of 8k to change from my 161 Golf Highline 1.6 diesel to a 171 Golf SV 1.2 petrol DSG Highline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

got a quote of 8k to change from my 161 Golf Highline 1.6 diesel to a 171 Golf SV 1.2 petrol DSG Highline.

That’s a good deal and the SV is a much better family car

I don't think its that hot a deal to be honest. 8k seems expensive to me just to go up one year to a car that yes is more practical for your needs, but the Golf SV isn't exactly a great seller for VW. I cannot see VW bringing launching a new one when the Mk8 arrives next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

Kinda of testing the water, but if I got a decent deal I'd change soon too
    Thinking of taking a wee run around some local dealers in the coming weeks, just to get an idea.

I love the Golf. Great to drive and it has all the bells and whistles.

However, think it's just a little small in the back for 3 kids. And the kids are only getting bigger! So have been thinking about getting something bigger.

Run a mile from the Renault and don't look back
    The ideal vehicle for you is a VW Transporter Kombi - with a bulkhead behind the back seat you'll have a huge boot, ideal for family outings, camping etc. - you'll travel in comfort, safety and style
    You can fit a 4 bike rack on the back door if into cycling!
    As you'll be trading in a VW you should get a better deal than dealing with a non VW franchise. The Transporter is not the cheapest but it's one of the best in that range - you should get 10 or more years out of one no problem.
    No need to buy new there's a good selection of 2012 upwards available here and in UK
    M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭JoeA3

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think its that hot a deal to be honest. 8k seems expensive to me just to go up one year to a car that yes is more practical for your needs, but the Golf SV isn't exactly a great seller for VW. I cannot see VW bringing launching a new one when the Mk8 arrives next year.

The SV has already been canned afaik. Along with the Jetta, Scirocco, Beetle.

bazz26 wrote: »

To be honest that was my thinking.

€8k is a lot for one year, plus they are getting a much more saleable car in return.

monseiur wrote: »
    Run a mile from the Renault and don't look back
    The ideal vehicle for you is a VW Transporter Kombi - with a bulkhead behind the back seat you'll have a huge boot, ideal for family outings, camping etc. - you'll travel in comfort, safety and style
    You can fit a 4 bike rack on the back door if into cycling!

M.

Jez, few people have a good word to say on the Renaults!

As for the Combi....ah, no its not ideal for me. Its far too big. Its a bloody van!
    A lot of the time I commute to work on my own in the Golf, I don't need a van to be bringing to work.

I'd have to actively take up new hobbies just to find a use for it.

OP says an estate is not needed yet gets recommended a van with rear windows.

Advertisement