Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mairia Cahill vindicated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

blanch152 wrote: »
    17-pdr wrote: »
    Interesting you should mention it because Cahill said to Suzanne Breen in a Sunday Tribune article dated January 2010:

Now if this had actually been done, I wonder what would have happened after that? Seems to me she had no problem accepting 'IRA due process' up to a certain point, so her pronouncements on IRA violence are a tad hypocritical to me.

Shocking news: Young woman raped and traumatised, still suffering wants vengenance on her abuser.

Disgusting victim blaming by another SF apologist.

FACT: A member of Sinn Fein abused Mairia Cahill
    FACT: The IRA subjected her to a kangaroo court process
    FACT: Sinn Fein protected him, like many other child abusers and rapists
    FACT: The IRA moved child abusers to other jurisdictions as Gerry Adams admitted in a blog post
    FACT: Sinn Fein later expelled the member involved in child abuse
    FACT: Sinn Fein have never passed on the information they have about child abuse to the relevant authorities.

Do the authorities know who abused Maria Cahill? Was he jailed?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,773 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They know who she alleged to have raped her. No, his trial collapsed. Report today shows why.

Shocking news: Young woman raped and traumatised, still suffering wants vengenance on her abuser.

Disgusting victim blaming by another SF apologist.

FACT: A member of Sinn Fein abused Mairia Cahill
    FACT: The IRA subjected her to a kangaroo court process
    FACT: Sinn Fein protected him, like many other child abusers and rapists
    FACT: The IRA moved child abusers to other jurisdictions as Gerry Adams admitted in a blog post
    FACT: Sinn Fein later expelled the member involved in child abuse
    FACT: Sinn Fein have never passed on the information they have about child abuse to the relevant authorities.

Typical predictable rubbish from you blanch. The fact of the matter is she engaged first with a process you utterly hate to get justice. Nothing you can say can alter this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,154 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Unfortunately, the PSNI made some dreadful disgraceful errors and the case collapsed. This gives an out to the SF defenders on here who repeatedly proclaim the innocence of her abuser.

Unfortunately, the PSNI made some dreadful disgraceful errors and the case collapsed. This gives an out to the SF defenders on here who repeatedly proclaim the innocence of her abuser.

Sensationalising again? Who claimed he was innocent?

• Advertisement

Ok gotcha. One last question. Was the accused well known?

Until today, I didn't realise the accused was a Sinn Fein member and that they had known about the abuse for several years while he remained a member.

Why don't you just read the RTE report? All the answers you are looking for are there, including the accussed's name.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2018/0912/993382-mairia-cahill/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I believe Maria Cahill is telling the whole truth. 100%. Brave woman. She says she is still getting trolled by SF fanatics.

Quick question, how are you so sure she's "100% telling the truth" about something you obviously haven't been following very closely (if at all)?

The reason I ask this is because you ask this.
    Q. Do we know the identity of the IRA man who abused her?

I suggest doing a tad more research than just wading in.

Moving on.

It would appear that the RUC and PSNI denied Cahill any justice she may have been due. This is pretty scathing.
    The Ombudsman found no evidence that anyone had been protected from prosecution or that the PSNI investigation became subject to adverse political interference.

Three of the officers recommended for action have been disciplined. The fourth has retired.

PSNI Chief Constable George Hamilton said the three women were failed by the police.

"I apologise unequivocally for the hurt and distress caused to them and for the failures in the police investigation," he said.

Quick question, how are you so sure she's "100% telling the truth" about something you obviously haven't been following very closely (if at all)?

Moving on.

It would appear that the RUC and PSNI denied Cahill any justice she may have been due. This is pretty scathing.

Pretty scathing, I agree with you.

On a scale of 1-10 of police failures it is close to a 10, one of the worst failings of any police force.

What is so terrible for Mairia Cahill is that on a scale of 1-10 of what was done to her, it is a 1, with her abuser at 10 and the SF/IRA machine around 8.

• Advertisement

I haven't kept up with the story in recent months but when Maria Cahill first went public, I knew instinctively that she was telling the truth and that SF were trying to smear her. I have experience through my work of working with adults who were abused as children. From memory I believe Gerry Adams tried to say it was one of her many uncles that abused her.

What makes you think she is not telling the truth? Cui bono?

Sensationalising again? Who claimed he was innocent?

You certainly implied that you believe they are innocent
    They turned up last time and released a statement saying they wanted the chance to clear their names. No lie there.

And the news this morning claimed the defendant was still protesting his innocence.

Good job there isn't mandatory hanging here on the basis of allegations.

Are you saying that you don't believe them? If so, that is progress.

You certainly implied that you believe they are innocent

Are you saying that you don't believe them? If so, that is progress.

No I didn't. I said 'he was still protesting his innocence'.

Sensationalising again.

Sensationalising again.

So you believe he is guilty. OK, that is progress.

:) Read all my posts on this thread, several times I have said that he has a right to defend himself. I don't know if he is innocent or not and neither do you.

You cherrypicked a post with the word 'innocent' in it and tried to 'bend it like blanch'.

Amazingly surreal and scary what you try to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What makes you think she is not telling the truth? Cui bono?

I never said she wasn't telling the truth, it just appeared to me that you weren't entirely familiar with all the facts, yet you were believing her regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cahill will continue to be pilloried by the Shinners because she stood up to them. Mary Lou has yet to realise the nest of vipers she has latched on to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

garhjw wrote: »
    This is mad stuff altogether. People in this thread are defending SF’s role in this terrible series of events by placing the blame on the PSNI.

Let's get one thing clear here, the cops are also very much to blame for what happened to Cahill.

I was a member of the Republican Movement for years. Organisations like the IRA were hopelessly ill-equipped to deal with issues like this. Either they accept that the victim was telling the truth in which case they shoot the perpetrator (I'm sure the posters here would love that), they conduct an 'investigation' - and how would they go about doing that? - or they do some hamfisted shuffle and hope it all goes away; which from what I can see is what they did in the end. They should rightfully be condemned for what they did and I'm glad McDonald is candid in admitting that it was a shambles.

However, equally culpable are a police force who took an abused young woman into their care and then decided amongst themselves how best to take her appalling abuse and weaponise it for their own political ends, not giving a sh*t about her or the impact it would have. This was common police practice by the way, and this sort of thing was approved at the highest levels. So yeah, political expediency on both sides and Cahill gets squeezed in the middle.

That's the way things were in the north of Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

She was treated worse by Sinn Fein who protected her abuser and repeatedly denied any knowledge of her abuse. She was treated worse again by the IRA who subjected her to a kangaroo court and put her in front of her abuser. Finally, she was treated worst of all by the man who abused her, a man who got the full protection of the "republican" community.

In fairness the IRA didn't protect her abuser really, they offered to have him shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

There is a documentary out soon/around now called "A Mother Brings Her Son to be Shot", which is as grim as it sounds.

Basically, the underlying point is that certain nationalist communities do not trust the PSNI and rely on local IRA or semi-IRA militants for social protection and justice. The young lad (teenager) was involved in drugs and the agreed punishment by gang standards (as that is essentially what these groups are now) was being shot in the legs. This was 2012. The son was not involved in the gang, but his mum's house was in their turf so their rules went. It was arbritated with the mother and an advocate via a local community type centre. The first time she brought him to be shot, the police stopped the taxi, but the second time he was shot in an alleyway. Needless to say, it hasn't actually helped the situation.

There are swathes of people that, for various reasons, do not trust the PSNI for justice and turn to the local gangs "keeping the peace" to resolve problems. Without the resource of state provision (laws about due process, the option of prison), that results in kangaroo courts and violence.

This also leads to the guys who have put themselves as arbitrars-at-gunpoint gaining an unhealthy view of their own power and what they can do with impunity. Which includes protecting those it's inconvenient to shoot or publically deriding or privately threatening people who speak out.

This is what happens when trust in the law being equal for everyone breaks down severely, a vacuum. Communities need some form of policing and something will fill the gap - for better or worse - be it local religious groups, militias, gangs or someone funding some sort of private security. Without oversight and rules to protect the population, these groups act by their own rules.

It's a bad situation with plenty of blame to go around. Blaming the IRA and it's excusers and enablers does not exonerate the PSNI or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,056 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sensationalising again.

You two have had enough warnings about this nonsense. Next time, I am issuing bans.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

In fairness the IRA didn't protect her abuser really, they offered to have him shot :)

The inconvenient truth. Cahill didn't trust the police like most republicans/nationalists. And it was with good reason, as the report and history shows.
    She asked that the IRA deal with her alleged abuse and whatever you say, they did.
    It was appalling that they did that and that they had to, and in that respect Cahill is another victim of a much wider problem in the north.

The waters in this case are thickly muddied, the desire by many many people to 'get Gerry' and 'SF' has obscured a lot of the detail here.
    At the end of the day, the 'IRA' did not 'rape' Mairia Cahill, as even the Irish Times prints, nor did SF - a 'man' allegedly raped Mairia and he has turned up at court, willingly to make his case.

It is time all the brayers and people with agendas other than justice for an alleged victim to step back and allow justice to be done, which ever way it falls.
    Like Liam Adams, or like the member of any party or organisation, if he did this crime, he deserves and should be in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Actually it might be if I were pontificating on here claiming to have numerous law degrees and using that claim to support flawed conclusions.

Yet you remain unable to answer basic questions or explain how my conclusions are in any way shape or form flawed.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Let's get one thing clear here, the cops are also very much to blame for what happened to Cahill.

I was a member of the Republican Movement for years. Organisations like the IRA were hopelessly ill-equipped to deal with issues like this. Either they accept that the victim was telling the truth in which case they shoot the perpetrator (I'm sure the posters here would love that), they conduct an 'investigation' - and how would they go about doing that? - or they do some hamfisted shuffle and hope it all goes away; which from what I can see is what they did in the end. They should rightfully be condemned for what they did and I'm glad McDonald is candid in admitting that it was a shambles.

However, equally culpable are a police force who took an abused young woman into their care and then decided amongst themselves how best to take her appalling abuse and weaponise it for their own political ends, not giving a sh*t about her or the impact it would have. This was common police practice by the way, and this sort of thing was approved at the highest levels. So yeah, political expediency on both sides and Cahill gets squeezed in the middle.

That's the way things were in the north of Ireland unfortunately.

No member of the PSNI or RUC sexually abused Mairia Cahill.

A member of Sinn Fein and the IRA sexually abused Mairia Cahill.

That isn't equal culpability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

No member of the PSNI or RUC sexually abused Mairia Cahill.

A member of Sinn Fein and the IRA sexually abused Mairia Cahill.

That isn't equal culpability.

I never said that the RUC/PSNI are as culpable as the rapist, I said they're as culpable as the IRA as an organisation in their sh*tty handling of an abuse case.

The inconvenient truth.

+1. Cahill can be easily exposed as a hypocrite when it comes to her own macroanalysis of the troubles. She had the gall to write this piece of character assassination barely 48 hours after the death of Martin McGuinness:
    I am also mindful, however, of the families of all of those who have been devastated by the actions of the IRA and it is their pain, too, which sits acutely with me as I write this. Families of people such as Joanne Mathers, Frank Hegarty and the Enniskillen bombing victims; and the thousands of others who have had their hearts ripped out of them and their minds fractured at the hands of an organisation which McGuinness led in times of war and in peace.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/maria-cahill-i-once-knew-him-as-martin-and-i-later-depersonalised-to-mcguinness-after-my-own-hurt-got-in-the-way-35560426.html

In 2004 she wrote a eulogy in praise of her 'Uncle Joe':

http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/12061

Now considering her 'Uncle Joe' stated at the Claudia arms importation trial in 1973 that:
    If I am guilty of any crime, it is that I did not succeed in getting the contents of the Claudia into the hands of the freedom fighters in this country

I'd be utterly astonished if she wasn't aware that he said the above before she wrote this, so I'm a tad confused as to why she would subsequently condemn 'freedom fighters' for putting weapons to use that were actually smuggled successfully into Ireland.

+1. Cahill can be easily exposed as a hypocrite when it comes to her own macroanalysis of the troubles. She had the gall to write this piece of character assassination barely 48 hours after the death of Martin McGuinness:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/maria-cahill-i-once-knew-him-as-martin-and-i-later-depersonalised-to-mcguinness-after-my-own-hurt-got-in-the-way-35560426.html

In 2004 she wrote a eulogy in praise of her 'Uncle Joe':

http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/12061

Now considering her 'Uncle Joe' stated at the Claudia arms importation trial in 1973 that:

I'd be utterly astonished if she wasn't aware that he said the above before she wrote this, so I'm a tad confused as to why she would subsequently condemn 'freedom fighters' for putting weapons to use that were actually smuggled successfully into Ireland.

Child grows up and her views mature into sensible ones, this comes as a surprise to you?

The character assassination of Mairia Cahill continues.

Child grows up and her views mature into sensible ones, this comes as a surprise to you?

Heh heh, nice try blanch. She would have retracted the eulogy of who you would consider the 'black sheep' of her family if any such maturation of her views were evident to an objective audience.

Heh heh, nice try blanch. She would have retracted the eulogy of who you would consider the 'black sheep' of her family if any such maturation of her views were evident to an objective audience.

Some useful republicans have their pasts forgotten but others have their pasts used against them (see the Higgins thread)

Victims are useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Her political views are actually irrelevant to the fact that she was the victim of sexual abuse.

Advertisement