Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mairia Cahill vindicated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

blanch152 wrote: »
    Child grows up and her views mature into sensible ones, this comes as a surprise to you?

The character assassination of Mairia Cahill continues.

Her political views are actually irrelevant to the fact that she was the victim of sexual abuse.

Correct. I think people lost sight of that. She was abused as a child by a member of the IRA. What always disturbed me about this story was the complete lack of empathy from SF on this matter. Even the apologies looked forced and showed no empathy. Similar to the dysfunctional Roman organisation that I loathe.

Her political views are actually irrelevant to the fact that she was the victim of sexual abuse.

True, but her political views are open to examination nonetheless. Posters such as blanch152 with their long running anti-SF agenda on this site believe otherwise hence their persistent attempts to shut down debate on SF related issues if it conflicts with their soapboxing style tactics here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

True, but her political views are open to examination nonetheless. Posters such as blanch152 with their long running anti-SF agenda on this site believe otherwise hence their persistent attempts to shut down debate on SF related issues if it conflicts with their soapboxing style tactics here.

Really?

Because i have noticed over the years that it's mostly the same 3 or 4 SF defenders who resort to this tactic in every single thread that has negative posts about SF.

Really?

Because i have noticed over the years that it's mostly the same 3 or 4 SF defenders who resort to this tactic in every single thread that has negative posts about SF.

I question inconsistencies in Cahill's political views and i'm accused of 'character assassination'? Come on now Timberrrrrrr, you've posted in these forums for long enough yourself to know whats going on here. I've nothing against anti-SF posts but if these posts come with terms like 'apologist' etc within them then its clear whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Correct. I think people lost sight of that. She was abused as a child by a member of the IRA. What always disturbed me about this story was the complete lack of empathy from SF on this matter. Even the apologies looked forced and showed no empathy. Similar to the dysfunctional Roman organisation that I loathe.

There were a few revelations that showed SF members were very concerned for Mairia Cahill including letters that showed they had strongly advised her to go to the police.

Cahill threatened to sue when one of the four defendants talked about the letters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

supporting / defending Sinn Fein on this issue is like arguing that jimmy saville did a lot of good because he raised money for charity.

You should be ashamed of yourselves for the comments posted on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

garhjw wrote: »
    supporting / defending Sinn Fein on this issue is like arguing that jimmy saville did a lot of good because he raised money for charity.

If only it was just this thread that they defended the indefensible.

A poster claimed that SF in Belfast did nothing for her. There is actually written evidence that they did. Cahill threatened to sue when one of the defendants revealed that.

There is nothing to be ashamed about with facts.

A poster claimed that SF in Belfast did nothing for her. There is actually written evidence that they did. Cahill threatened to sue when one of the defendants revealed that.

There is nothing to be ashamed about with facts.

What’s that got to do with a child being raped, then terrorists and their “political representatives” denying it / covering it up? You’re defending people who either raped a child or who were culpable in protecting someone who raped a child.

It’s sad that you just don’t seem to be able to understand or comprehend what has happened.

A child was raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I question inconsistencies in Cahill's political views and i'm accused of 'character assassination'? Come on now Timberrrrrrr, you've posted in these forums for long enough yourself to know whats going on here. I've nothing against anti-SF posts but if these posts come with terms like 'apologist' etc within them then its clear whats going on.

You were given a clear answer on this already

It is disgusting that some posters are continually finding a way to behave like disgusting misogynists and attack a female victim of sexual abuse that was further subject to patriarchal justice by an illegal organisation.

• Advertisement

What’s that got to do with a child being raped, then terrorists and their “political representatives” denying it / covering it up? You’re defending people who either raped a child or who were culpable in protecting someone who raped a child.

It’s sad that you just don’t seem to be able to understand or comprehend what has happened.

A child was raped.

Well said. Unfortunately, you will be subject now to attack from the defenders of the Roman Catholic Church Sinn Fein.

A child was raped.

If you can find a post of mine that defended rape by anyone, please do and post it please.

Otherwise, desist with the sensationalism.

A poster claimed something that was factually wrong.

You were given a clear answer on this already

Clear to you only. Maybe you don’t know who ‘Uncle Joe’ is, but I fully suspect you do and will gloss over it since it doesn’t suit your agenda here.
    It is disgusting that some posters are continually finding a way to behave like disgusting misogynists and attack a female victim of sexual abuse that was further subject to patriarchal justice by an illegal organisation.

Nobodys done that here. Enough of the demonising of contrary opinions to yours. Thanks.

If you can find a post of mine that defended rape by anyone, please do and post it please.

Otherwise, desist with the sensationalism.

A poster claimed something that was factually wrong.

All of your posts attempt to deflect or justify the actions of the IRA / Sinn Fein.

Anything you say in response to a CHILD BEING RAPED digs a deeper hold for your type.

All of your posts attempt to deflect or justify the actions of the IRA / Sinn Fein.

Anything you say in response to a CHILD BEING RAPED digs a deeper hold for your type.

Do you want the 'facts' or the sensationalist inventions around this case?

You decide and get back to us.

Do you want to be part of the vigilantes who have decided on a man's guilt even though he has shown he is prepared to defend himself. And 4 others who are also willing to defend themselves?

I certainly don't want to be, we have had enough vigilantism during the conflict without indulging more of it.

Clear to you only. Maybe you don’t know who ‘Uncle Joe’ is, but I fully suspect you do and will gloss over it since it doesn’t suit your agenda here.

Nobodys done that here. Enough of the demonising of contrary opinions to yours. Thanks.

Anyone who brings up Mairia Cahill's previous political opinions, or her remarks as a young woman about revenge, is guilty of misogynist victim-blaming.

Neither of those two things have anything to do with the horrific rape of her, and the subsequent protection of her rapist by Sinn Fein and the IRA.

Anyone who brings up Mairia Cahill's previous political opinions, or her remarks as a young woman about revenge, is guilty of misogynist victim-blaming.

Neither of those two things have anything to do with the horrific rape of her, and the subsequent protection of her rapist by Sinn Fein and the IRA.

Is bringing up the PSNI mishandling of the case and why it happened 'misogynist victim' blaming?
    Or are we just not allowed to mention the wider aspects that give the lie to some of the things said about this case?

Mairia Cahill says she was raped and I believe her and there should be a court case to test these claims.
    While I currently believe she was raped, that belief may or may not be challenged by the actual evidence and what the defendant has to say.

That is a fair and victim centred approach.

Is bringing up the PSNI mishandling of the case and why it happened 'misogynist victim' blaming?
    Or are we just not allowed to mention the wider aspects that give the lie to some of the things said about this case?

Mairia Cahill says she was raped and I believe her and there should be a court case to test these claims.
    While I currently believe she was raped, that belief may or may not be challenged by the actual evidence and what the defendant has to say.

I have no words for this.

And that is not usual for me.

Very very disillusioned that this type of commentary is allowed in a public forum.

I have no words for this.

And that is not usual for me.

Very very disillusioned that this type of commentary is allowed in a public forum.

You think there shouldn't be a court case for the 5 people accused? Just lock them up?

Thought you were against that sort of thing.

God thats awful rubbish tbh blanch and is the most ham fisted attempt yet l’ve seen trying to close down a debate. Cahill is now an SDLP councillor and as such her political opinions should be open to scrutiny as any other public figures are.

• Advertisement

God thats awful rubbish tbh blanch and is the most ham fisted attempt yet l’ve seen trying to close down a debate. Cahill is now an SDLP councillor and as such her political opinions should be open to scrutiny as any other public figures are.

Of course her political opinions are open to scrutiny, as are yours and anyone else's. However, they have nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with her horrific rape and subsequent disgusting ordeal at the hands of Sinn Fein and the IRA and subsequently the calamatous mishandling of the case by the PSNI.

Why you deem them relevant on this particular thread says a lot.

Of course her political opinions are open to scrutiny, as are yours and anyone else's. However, they have nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with her horrific rape and subsequent disgusting ordeal at the hands of Sinn Fein and the IRA and subsequently the calamatous mishandling of the case by the PSNI.

Why you deem them relevant on this particular thread says a lot.

Ah but they do since she initiated contact voluntarily with the IRA in an attempt to seek justice, shunning the RUC. If the accused had been tarred & feathered or even worse still shot, you would be one of the first I suspect to be tut-tutting about the operations of 'kangaroo courts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Cahill previously supporting the IRA, dissident Republicans or now social democrat types has nothing at all to do with the case at hand to be honest and shouldn't really be discussed in my opinion, at least not in the context of her rape.

It's a very sad story the whole thing, and sadly it was probably inevitable considering the organisations she was dealing with and the political context at the time. An illegal organisation not at all equipped to deal with this and a police force who cared more about squeezing her for information rather prosecuting her abuser.

Any trial should be held in the SCC. By doing this, Sinn Fein or the animals they represent can’t interfere with jurors or witnesses. Funny how SF want it abolished.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Cahill previously supporting the IRA, dissident Republicans or now social democrat types has nothing at all to do with the case at hand to be honest and shouldn't really be discussed in my opinion, at least not in the context of her rape.

It's a very sad story the whole thing, and sadly it was probably inevitable considering the organisations she was dealing with and the political context at the time. An illegal organisation not at all equipped to deal with this and a police force who cared more about squeezing her for information rather prosecuting her abuser.

I absolutely agree that the IRA should not have been dealing with cases of abuse or indeed crime in general and that it was wrong that people like Maria Cahill had to go to them.

The rape itself is not under discussion in these threads, despite it being brought up every time some posters meet a wall in their argument.

Mairia Cahill has gone beyond the allegations of rape, that is a simple fact and has alleged stuff about a raft of other people.
    It is these allegations that doubt is cast on in these threads not the occurrence of a rape. (That can only be dealt with in a court of law, which will serve justice for all involved in it. 2 people)
    One of the defendants, Breige Wright has consistently said that there has been a
    "deluge of inaccurate, prejudiced and selective reporting of all aspects of this case", particularly in relation to Ms Wright's relationship with Ms Cahill in "terms of the support that I offered her".
    and she has, and intends to produce in a court, written evidence to support that.

Any trial should be held in the SCC. By doing this, Sinn Fein or the animals they represent can’t interfere with jurors or witnesses. Funny how SF want it abolished.

You do know the alleged rape did not happen in the south?

It has been proven that the justice system (in respect of the functions of the police)in north was the biggest threat to Mairia Cahill getting justice, as she suspected when she requested the IRA to get involved instead of the police and when she withdrew her evidence from the court.

Another inconvenient fact for you perhaps?

It has been proven that the justice system (in respect of the functions of the police)in north was the biggest threat to Mairia Cahill getting justice, as she suspected when she requested the IRA to get involved instead of the police and when she withdrew her evidence from the court.

I am aware of that but when you are dealing with terrorist, rapists and their sympathisers, witnesses and jurors need protection. For these type of people, the UK should use an SCC mechanism as it is proven to work. Her rapist is happy to stand trial as he knows witnesses, victims and jurors can be targeted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Shinnerbot short circuiting much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I am aware of that but when you are dealing with terrorist, rapists and their sympathisers, witnesses and jurors need protection. For these type of people, the UK should use an SCC mechanism as it is proven to work. Her rapist is happy to stand trial as he knows witnesses, victims and jurors can be targeted

You must have missed the part when the authorities ignored her rapist and tried to flip a young rape victim into becoming an informer, thus risking her life for their political benefit?

It's really, really transparent here who is genuinely criticising all sides for their handling of this tragic case and who is using a victim of sexual abuse to crowbar in their own seething hatred of Sinn Féin et al. Absolutely stupid. This isn't a simple narrative of Republican baddies at all.

• Advertisement

Sorry to bother you with inconvenient facts, but SF and IRA members who have committed crimes have gone to jail, the leaders brother for instance, just like members of other political parties have.

Mairia Cahill's case collapsed because the police were trying to get somebody else. The same thing happened when Aine Adams went to them with her complaint.

Can you point to a single case of witnesses or jurors being 'targeted' since the Diplock courts were dismantled? I would be interested to see how often this has happened.

Advertisement