Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underdogs 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭franglan

First TV series myself and my gf have watched together and we are going out longer than a week - great show. I know it would draw it out and its mostly all about the drama really but would be nice to see some of the matches - judge the actual talent on show as well as the sob stories and "I'm doing this for my gran who liked the gah" pieces!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What time is it on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

9.30 Thursday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭westsidestory

franglan wrote: »
    First TV series myself and my gf have watched together

Is she a "keeper "?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Galvins a real dominant figure, he reminds me of Stallone, I bet he goes to a job interview and gives that glare and the job is his.

Most of you may not know that the fellow "Brady" is from the same place as Derry All Ireland winning manager Eamonn Coleman however he lives in the neighbouring club region now though still the same parish (2 clubs in 1 parish, arguably 3 clubs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Is she a "keeper "?

Nah.....Full forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Still haven't got around to watching, but why are they so secretive about the players?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

CK22 wrote: »
    Galvin is some dictator by the like looks of it. Ray and Valerie seem fairly sound and a bit of craic.

Think Galvin is the only one who offers constructive advice to the players. The 2 others tend to say very general things. Not sure that guy deserved to be in the 3 for that specific incident though. And it made no sense that Richie wasn't in the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

I see the Underdogs are playing Dublin on Friday 19th October in Parnell Park (Live on tg4). A mammoth task I would think going on what I've seen so far!! Hard to know what kind of a team Dublin will have out however, probably just use it as a trial game for fringe/new players on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

I know its not a fashion thread but the state of Galvin the other night with the cap. Anyone I know that would turn up for training like that would be laughed out of the field..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Glebee wrote: »
    I know its not a fashion thread but the state of Galvin the other night with the cap. Anyone I know that would turn up for training like that would be laughed out of the field..

Remember the Galvinised documentary?

Training the Sem team with football boots and a pair of skinny jeans on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dublin seem an overly ambitious match up for the underdogs.

If they put out Dublin’s thirds to play the underdogs I really don’t see the point.

May aswell put out a mixture of the first and seconds as they’ll almost all be available

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CK22

Don’t know how this team will compete in any way with Richie still there. No offence to the man, but his attitude is awful. Full of excuses. Your man from Portlaoise was very humble and in fairness he understands why he isn’t there anymore, but 2 points in a defeat to a Kerry Intermediate team shouldn’t be enough to save you.

Just how many pints are the producers going to feed the Dublin team the night before this game to make it a contest?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Just how many pints are the producers going to feed the Dublin team the night before this game to make it a contest?

Yeah I can see some bit of persuasion being done. Dubs will probably play the O’Byrne Cup team and throw in a few token senior players who are out of their championships.

Well I don’t see the point if they put them against Dublin’s thirds. That isn’t a county team. It’s two teams of non county players.

Seems their recruitment was a bit weak in terms of promoting the idea and attracting good talent or maybe this plan was never viable as county teams are at too high a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Don't care who makes the team as long as the young lad from Kilkenny gets to play against the Dubs.

Great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It looks like a major weakness in this concept is that it's run during club championship season. Having only 17 out of the 30 odd players down for a 3 day bootcamp really defeats the purpose of having such a camp imho. Again it's hard to see how good these lads really are based on the few clips we see but you would have to say it didn't look great last night!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    It looks like a major weakness in this concept is that it's run during club championship season. Having only 17 out of the 30 odd players down for a 3 day bootcamp really defeats the purpose of having such a camp imho. Again it's hard to see how good these lads really are based on the few clips we see but you would have to say it didn't look great last night!

Yeah correct point I would say. Think the previous underdogs season was far later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Well I don’t see the point if they put them against Dublin’s thirds. That isn’t a county team. It’s two teams of non county players.

Seems their recruitment was a bit weak in terms of promoting the idea and attracting good talent or maybe this plan was never viable as county teams are at too high a level.

well the last time, they did beat the all ireland champions so i guess that was their theory.

however, it does look like the standard is much lower this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Glebee wrote: »

if they were a 4 times all ireland winning player and footballer of the year, i doubt many would say a word to them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

Definitely a problem. They let the lad from Laois go because of his attendance. However, you can't argue with his logic - his club always come first. He should be admired for that but the format of the show means he is punished for it.

Don't think the standard is high. A local Galway paper highlighted there were 2 Galway lads trying to make it. One of them has been featured on the show so far while the other hasn't. I don't think the other lad has even played senior for his club. Then again, maybe it is a Donaghy type story where he has just been off playing other sports.....

I dont get why the Kilkenny guy doesnt have a club to train with? Surely, if he loves football that much, he would just join one of the junior clubs in Kilkenny or join a club outside the county. Not sure we are being told the full story there.

I think weak counties in football/hurling should join a neighbouring county league, it means they would have the experience of playing against better players, what is the use in winning 5 Derry hurling championships in a row playing against teams full of below average players?

Definitely a problem. They let the lad from Laois go because of his attendance. However, you can't argue with his logic - his club always come first. He should be admired for that but the format of the show means he is punished for it.

Don't think the standard is high. A local Galway paper highlighted there were 2 Galway lads trying to make it. One of them has been featured on the show so far while the other hasn't. I don't think the other lad has even played senior for his club. Then again, maybe it is a Donaghy type story where he has just been off playing other sports.....

I dont get why the Kilkenny guy doesnt have a club to train with? Surely, if he loves football that much, he would just join one of the junior clubs in Kilkenny or join a club outside the county. Not sure we are being told the full story there.

Problem with Kilkenny football is that it doesn’t exist really. Club championship is wrapped up after 4 games before the hurling leagues even start. Usually it’s wrapped up by February. Kilkenny CB have no interest and only try to get it done ASAP. Probably feck all clubs anyway. Think he would be better off even training with a club in like Laois or Carlow. Fair play to the man anyway, it really seems to mean a lot to him, and he’s very humble about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I think weak counties in football/hurling should join a neighbouring county league, it means they would have the experience of playing against better players, what is the use in winning 5 Derry hurling championships in a row playing against teams full of below average players?

Didn't Mount Leinster Rangers play in a Kilkenny league at one point before they won the Leinster club? Yes, it would be an idea for Kilkenny clubs to play in Carlow or Wexford competitions as a trial after running off their own championship, much like Kilmoyley won a Munster hurling league against Cork and Limerick teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It really is a cracking show,very enjoyable.

That centre of excellence down in Killarney is very impressive.

Loved the insights of Eamonn Ryan and Mickey Ned O Sullivan.Valerie and Paul seem to have a real gra for their old mentor.Hard to believe there were up on 20,000 in Tralee when the underdogs defeated the kingdom.It will be interesting what kind of a crowd turn up in Parnell Park.

Dubs can't win,if in the unlikely scenario they field a strong team they'll tank the underdogs.If they field an O Byrne type third team it will hardly entice a big crowd and won't be as big a thrill for these players.

I do wonder are there any Kieran Donaghy or Pearse O Neill like players who are standing out that could make it at inter county level.

Galvin made mention of Trevor Murtagh being one of their most important players to Eamonn Ryan,don't recall any real backstory to him?

Others mentioned in that conversation were a Stephen Harte from Dublin and a Nigel.

I see Niall Canning is now consigned to warming up the bench.

The Ronan O Neill and Derrytresk backstory was interesting but young Stephen from Kilkenny is heartwarming.

I can see Richie facing the chop soon,he's really not convincing in terms of demonstrating his undying commitment to the cause.

Galvin having to admonish him for having his mobile phone out in training!Two months down the road there seems to be little change in his physique.

Loving the dynamic between the three roghnoiri.

Here is Sean Brady getting sent off in the championship final that was mentioned, he is actually playing in the final again today.

https://youtu.be/RlOhsYPzEL0?t=1548

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

Loved seeing the Eamon Ryan bits. Can see why he had such success with Cork. Even 2 mins on tv and he’d have you hanging on his every word

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

Richie is a bluffer! He wouldn’t last a week with me if I was picking

• Advertisement

Bradys team lost the Derry Intermediate final today

Advertisement