Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drop location

• 14-09-2018 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

xawpaEz.jpg

Red is what has happened. Player shooting at green. Carry the water, land on green, but fail to stay on green.

Where would you drop A, B or C?

Select drop point 33 votes

A
    0% 0 votes
    B
    9% 3 votes
    C
    36% 12 votes
    Something else
    54% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

RoadRunner wrote: »
    xawpaEz.jpg

Red is what has happened. Player shooting at green. Carry the water, land on green, but fail to stay on green.

Where would you drop A, B or C?
    C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Point C

B would also be acceptable if its a lateral hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

kieran. wrote: »
    if its a lateral hazard.

Not lateral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

C is only an option for a lateral hazard. So is incorrect as you are saying it isnt a lateral hazard.

The correct answer is B.
    You can also obviously take a drop where the last shot was played from.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Once the ball lands @ X (i.e. not in a hazard) then A is no longer relevant and since its not a lateral water hazard then B is the only option other than replaying the original shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dormy

B or replay shot.
    C only an option if its lateral.
    A not an option

No, It's actually:
    D) "Walk on to the next hole cause you were in the drink in 5 and you've no shot there anyway" :)

Cheers. I have incorrectly dropped (at point C) in the past.

Any idea why I have some strange belief that the ball carrying the water but then rolling back into it has some benefit as opposed to not making the carry at all? This thought is nonsense, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Any idea why I have some strange belief that the ball carrying the water but then rolling back into it has some benefit as opposed to not making the carry at all?

Red stakes, yes

Yellow stakes, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I dont like to make general statements.
    But generally hazards like this surrounding a green should be lateral hazards which will give you additional options for a drop. Like with C above.

Not always the case but i think there should be some stipulation from the R&A that hazards surrounding a green are lateral hazards. Tbh i would make all hazards lateral hazards but that's another discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No, It's actually:
    D) "Walk on to the next hole cause you were in the drink in 5 and you've no shot there anyway" :)

Cheers. I have incorrectly dropped (at point C) in the past.

Any idea why I have some strange belief that the ball carrying the water but then rolling back into it has some benefit as opposed to not making the carry at all? This thought is nonsense, right?

You never said you were wet in 5!

Your belief is correct, *if* its a lateral.
    In your example its much more advantageous to drop at somewhere just short of X than at A.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    You never said you were wet in 5!

Just joking about that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Now I'm doubting whether the hole I'm thinking of is lateral or not.

In the past, I've think I've tended to subconsciously define long rivers as lateral hazards and wider bodies of water (ponds/pools etc) as non-lateral hazzards without sufficient attention given to whether stakes are red or yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Now I'm doubting whether the hole I'm thinking of is lateral or not.

In the past, I've think I've tended to subconsciously define long rivers as lateral hazards and wider bodies of water (ponds/pools etc) as non-lateral hazzards without sufficient attention given to whether stakes are red or yellow.
    Well the clue is in the name. Literally lateral (parallel) to the direction of the hole. "So situated that it is not possible or deemed... impracticable to drop a ball behind".

Water hazards can often be both lateral and non-lateral. Your diagram above could have the left hand portion beside the green being lateral and the part between the tee and green being non-lateral.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

kieran. wrote: »
    Point C

B would also be acceptable if its a lateral hazard.

you got that arse over tit

more importantly..

WOW.

Amazing artwork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

kiers47 wrote: »
    I dont like to make general statements.
    But generally hazards like this surrounding a green should be lateral hazards which will give you additional options for a drop. Like with C above.

Not always the case but i think there should be some stipulation from the R&A that hazards surrounding a green are lateral hazards. Tbh i would make all hazards lateral hazards but that's another discussion.

agreed with the second bit, I haven't read the new proposed rules but in the spirit of simplification is there any reason to not just have all water hazards red staked?

Whats the benefit to the game of different hazard types

but in the spirit of simplification is there any reason to not just have all water hazards red staked?

Yep, I'm a genius (very stable) and even I have trouble with this.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Amazing artwork :D

Question 2: Guess which hole I had in mind when I made this?

Question 2: Guess which hole I had in mind when I made this?

dogleg par 5 in margarets?

might be the 8th i'm thinking?

it was a hole which at one stage they took the dogleg out, and routed you up a different fairway altogether

• Advertisement

dogleg par 5 in margarets?

might be the 8th i'm thinking?

lucky guess :mad:

lucky guess :mad:

Educated guess.

Mind you it must be 10 years since I played out there.
    Have to grab a game with you sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I’m assuming your talking about the 8th st Margarets?

If that’s the case it’s yellow all the way on the left?

Think that makes A the only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Should have read all the replies!

Just to complicate things, they used to have red stakes to the left of the green but have since removed and changed to yellows

It can't possibly be A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Russman

agreed with the second bit, I haven't read the new proposed rules but in the spirit of simplification is there any reason to not just have all water hazards red staked?

Whats the benefit to the game of different hazard types

The logic (in general) behind red Vs yellow is that if carrying over the water is an essential part of playing the hole or central to the character of the hole, then the hazard will usually be yellow as opposed to lateral (red) to ensure you still have to hit your ball over the hazard as intended by the design.

Russman wrote: »
    The logic (in general) behind red Vs yellow is that if carrying over the water is an essential part of playing the hole or central to the character of the hole, then the hazard will usually be yellow as opposed to lateral (red) to ensure you still have to hit your ball over the hazard as intended by the design.

Which in the example above the golfer has done, but at the same time got a bit unlucky and ran out the far side.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tiger Woods got a drop wrong - so you can see how this is probably the most broken rule in golf at the weekend.

It can be a remarkable advantage when rule is broken.

Would agree it could be simplified if one rule for water or use drop zones.

But is a dumming down.

Red stakes are a major advantage .

So on answer . You can't answer without stake colours.

You often see double stakes red and yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Russman

Which in the example above the golfer has done, but at the same time got a bit unlucky and ran out the far side.

Well, ok, maybe carrying over the water and keeping the ball on the correct parcel of land, is an essential part of this particular hole, similar to an island green maybe. I’m not arguing for or against this hazard being lateral, in this case it would definitely help and seem warranted for that part of the hazard that is off to the side of the green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

This reminds me a bit of the 9th in Corballis which was yellow at the front and red at the sides last time i played , can be fun if you enter over the yellow and ball clears the pond lands on the other side and rolls back in over the red , of if you hit a hook over the yellow at front clears the pond but comes in via the red side.

Advertisement